Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I am wondering to get a GTX 660Ti or a GTX670 which is best?

The GTX660Ti isn't included in the list. I am really wondering if the GTX660Ti will cut it because I don't have room for SLI. And I won't use SLI. I currently have a GTX650 which is bad

Hi again, one of my friends were thinking about building a budget gaming computer, and he was wondering if the components were good enough to run Arma II and Op. Arrowhead.

Cpu - Intel Core i3-2120 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155

RAM - G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Graphics card - Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 (11200-16-20G) 1024MB PCIe x16 Gen 3.0 Eyefinity 2.0 Edition

Motherboard - ASRock B75M LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I'd advise to stretch the budget slightly to get an i5-3330, they're decently cheap and a great improvement over a dualcore i3.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

I am wondering to get a GTX 660Ti or a GTX670 which is best?

The GTX660Ti isn't included in the list. I am really wondering if the GTX660Ti will cut it because I don't have room for SLI. And I won't use SLI. I currently have a GTX650 which is bad

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Do you have a 650 or a 650 Ti? A 650Ti should already be decently playable, a 660 is a already a very fast card if you dont want to run crazy resolutions and antialiasing. If you want to save a bit of money I'd recommend that one, it's price/performance is much higher than a 660Ti or 670, although those a slightly faster.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

The motherboard I have now takes a MAX of 2 gig I don't think 4 gig would work in it. I already made a decision on the processor, graphics card and RAM. I plan on getting it up to 16 gm of ram on my birthday. I was looking at this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128555

I doubt that, the memorycontrollers are built into the cpu these days, with sandy / ivy bridge the limit should be 16GB for 2 sticks and 32 for 4 sticks, although the 8GB sticks are very expensive, so if you want 16GB get one with 4 slots yes.

edit: nvm, not that expensive.

I'd advise to stretch the budget slightly to get an i5-3330, they're decently cheap and a great improvement over a dualcore i3.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Do you have a 650 or a 650 Ti? A 650Ti should already be decently playable, a 660 is a already a very fast card if you dont want to run crazy resolutions and antialiasing. If you want to save a bit of money I'd recommend that one, it's price/performance is much higher than a 660Ti or 670, although those a slightly faster.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

I doubt that, the memorycontrollers are built into the cpu these days, with sandy / ivy bridge the limit should be 16GB for 2 sticks and 32 for 4 sticks, although the 8GB sticks are very expensive, so if you want 16GB get one with 4 slots yes.

edit: nvm, not that expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653 This one looks promising, and its a Z77 affordable and I saw someone with the same motherboard same graphics card, CPU and RAM playing arma with all settings on high and view distance on 10000.

Just look at this game play, it is absolutely incredible! this is basically the exact setup I hope to have.

Edited by Beastlygrandpa

Leon, If I bump it up, which setting do you think I can play on with a decent fps?

Probably high model/object detail, 3000-4000 viewdistance, high shadows 2x aa or something.

Probably high model/object detail, 3000-4000 viewdistance, high shadows 2x aa or something.

Ok, thanks for the recommendation.

---------- Post added at 08:23 ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 ----------

Sorry, I'm back again with trying to decide which to go with. Desktop or Laptop. I decided to go with the laptop. I gathered a couple of HPs. I'm trying to figure out which one can play games that's worth the price.

Here's one I'm thinking about:

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/C0L26AV?HP-ENVY-dv6t-7200-Select-Edition-Notebook-PC

Here's another one...

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/C2M11UA?HP-ENVY-dv6-7210us-Notebook-PC

This one is an $800 ranged one. If it's good enough for the price. I'll save up for it.

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/C2L41UA?HP-ENVY-dv6-7215nr-Notebook-PC

If you have a suggestion, I'll welcome it.

Edited by Darksider45

Notebooks dont come near desktop performance because of power use and cooling requirements. Those notebooks should run it, at lowest settings, lower 3d resolution at moderate fps.

The only thing to remember @Darksider45 is that no one can guarantee you a decent gaming experience. It would depend on so many things, for instance, what other things you use your pc for, what you put on it, how you set the pc up, etc. If your buying a gaming pc and using it solely for gaming, then you have a far better chance of achieving your goal. But using a pc for allsorts of everyday things and then gaming on top of that, can bring a completely different game playing experience in many cases..

Taking advice is wise, that’s for sure, also researching your intended pc purchase, but only when you have your new pc will you know how it really performs. Game on it first before putting anything else on, then the advice you have been given and researched will very likely prove positive. However, filling it up with lots of bits and pieces and as said, may give you a very different gaming experience altogether..

Many people start out with the best intentions, i.e. I want to play Arma 2 or any game for that matter, with great graphics and performance (fps), then they start to slide back a little, trying to save money, its human nature, you have already. A laptop or top end notebook are completely different for gaming to a desktop, as said, you will not get the same experience , that’s almost guaranteed. So stop and think, desktops may be a little outdated now in terms of convenience, but they are really needed for proper gaming, as is a decent size monitor and sound setup. Don’t slip back and expect the same advice given to apply to anything other than a gaming pc (desktop)..

I don’t want to put a dampener on your excitement of your intended purchase, its just a cautionary note. When I buy a pc for gaming, its just for gaming, nothing else. My A2 pc is a pretty basic quad core compared to many now, but it plays the game really well with very good fps on these settings, however its for gaming, if I filled it with lots of other stuff it would most likely run the game like a bag of spanners, sorry old saying, but you get my meaning, ’terrible’, is what I mean. But as it is, its kept lean and very clean, so it performs great, even though its an old lady now in pc terms.

I have done the same for A3, my new pc sits waiting, nothing on it at all yet other than the OS + security, after that its just A3 to go on.

All my mods/addons go on remote HDD storage, as does anything I need for the game, just bring across what I want to use into my Arma 2 folder, repacked to suit my game play and requirements.

Anyway as said, not a dampener, just a cautionary note for you to think about, if your going to load it up with ‘allsorts’, I would ‘over spec’ as much as you can afford. If your going to short cut corners price wise, then don’t be upset if performance is not what you originally set out to get.

Edited by ChrisB

^^^^^^

My advice would not be to overspec too much, but look at benchmarks to see what still makes sense. i7 for instance is not an upgrade for gaming but it's very expensive.

as for filling the pc with stuff, just dont let anything start up with windows and you should be ok, only thing that'll really slow a system down is malware and antivirus. Still, testing games on a clean system might be a good idea.

I understand. I probably won't be getting the laptop I'm wanting until January. Which is a waste of time worrying right now, I know. I just needed the help from someone experienced in guessing how a computer would perform, due to the price. I just wanted to make sure that the purchase I'm going to make is good enough for the amount of money that's going to be spent on it.

Thanks for the note, though. I'll try my best to make the best purchase that goes with what I do. I'm not trying to buy the best computer in gaming, out there. I'm just looking for a new laptop that can run games on normal or below. I'll take you post into considering which computer to buy.

Good Darksider45, your on the right track.

I just needed the help from someone experienced in guessing how a computer would perform, due to the price

Oh, everyone is experienced in guessing:p, but remember, guessing is just that, 'guessing'..;)

Hi, guys.

Can't make right choice between 1x GTX 680 ASUS DirectCu II or 2x GTX 660 Ti ASUS DirectCu II.

GTX 680:

Stream Processors: 1536

Texture Units: 128

Bandwidth: 256 bit 192 GB/s

ROPs: 32

Rasterisers: 4

Tesselation Units: 8

2x GTX 660 Ti:

Stream Processors: 2688 (2x1344)

Texture Units: 224 (2x112)

Bandwidth: 384 bit 288 GB/s (2x192 GB/s 2x144 GB/s)

ROPs: 48 (2x24)

Rasterisers: 8 (2x4)

Tesselation Units: 14 (2x7)

Have 860 Watt Corsair AX860i PSU with 6x6+2 PINs PCIE

Have tower CoolerMaster HAF XM 1x200 mm front, 1x200m side + 2x200 mm upper cover

Have 8 GB DDR3 2133 MHz RAM Corsair Dominator GT

Have i5 @ 4x4.0 GHz

Have 2 slots space between both PCIE slots. Both cards are not larger than 2 slots each.

Question is if ArmA 2 OA/CO can benefit from those 2x GTX 660 Ti to give more performance than GTX 680.

Plaese, help.

Anybody with SLi here? Impressions to share?

Edited by Groove_C

I'd always go for the faster single gpu, sure, the cheaper double will give you a higher average fps, but often the minimum framerate doesnt. Also in newer games the drivers cant get sli to work well yet, or there are other issues.

I went from double gtx260's to a single gtx470 (slower on paper) and it's a much better setup.

that said sli does work in arma 2

Hello!

I have a couple of questions, I am looking to purchase a new PC and unfortunately I'm unable to build it myself (too busy with school and job) With this said, I have a friend who is able to build anything I can really think of for a good price (or at least I think so) Roughly around $300-500 He has given me quite a few already built options to choose from and ponder over, however I am not too "tech savvy" as it were. My big question is will the following computer be able to play ARMA II, or really anything at all? Keep in mind all that is mentioned is fully customizable to either add or subtract from it.

The specs are as followed:

CPU:AMD Athlon IIX3 455 3.30GHz BOX 95W AM3

Motherboard:GIGABYTE M68MT-S2 Motherboard GF 7025 M.ATX 2D.DDR3, PCIE 16X/PCIE 1X/2PCI RAID,GBLAN,LPT/COM/VGA/PS2 PRT

Memory:Kingston 4GB(1x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

HardDrive:Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB 3.5" SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM

Graphics/Video Card:nVidia GeForce 7025

Power Supply:Quality Quiet 500 Watt ATX Power Supply w/Large Fan

There are, of course, other specifications and tidbits like an optical drive and what not but I don't think they're as necessary. I was thinking of upgrading the awful 7025 to something like a Radeon HD7750 1GB DDR5. Question is, will I have to upgrade anything else if I do upgrade the graphics card?

In a simpler way, the specs are.

Triple Core Processor 3.30Ghz, dedicated graphics card (7025), 8GB memory, 500GB hard drive capacity.

Everything here is completely customizable and I'm able to change any component, so if there is a better graphics card that may be older, but faster and cheaper then I'd appreciate any help or advice. Also I'd like to keep it within the already established $300-500 mark. The above listed rig is $350

Thanks in advance for any help or advice given. (apologies for the long list of too in-depth specs)

you could get a phenom II BE quad for about $30 more, might be worth it. You need to get a dedicated gpu yes, 7750 will run this.

if you want to do some extreme saving get a secondhand hd4850 for $40 or something, still runs most games if you set the res low enough.

you could get a phenom II BE quad for about $30 more, might be worth it. You need to get a dedicated gpu yes, 7750 will run this.

if you want to do some extreme saving get a secondhand hd4850 for $40 or something, still runs most games if you set the res low enough.

Unfortunately the 7025 is integrated, it's complete trash apparently if I did do my research correctly.

I was also thinking of upgrading the Motherboard to a ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard, to go along with the Radeon HD7750 V2 1GB DDR5. ASUS. (although I'm not sure this is necessary, or if it'll make any difference at all).

I'm not particularly looking to do any saving. My goal is to make a computer that'll run ARMA II, mostly because ARMA II is a system squeezer, meaning if I can run ARMA II at low to high settings or anything in-between I'll be able to run just about any other game too. That and I want a PC that I can upgrade and add on to later if needed, as well.

EDIT: I also checked out more CPU's, found this for roughly $25 more. AMD Phenom II 965 Quad Core 3.4GHz 8M Socket AM3 25W Black Edition. Would any of the above upgrades increase performance (obviously the GPU would) But would the upgraded motherboard and obviously the CPU increase it substantially?

the only reason to get a better board is for extra features or more overclocking headroom. It doesn't improve performance.

I'd say the BE quad is worth it, arma has a slight benefit going from 3 to for, the quad has a slightly higher clockspeed and it has more cache memory, so it's more efficient clock/clock, especially in games.

Hello guys, I'm new here, as you can probably see. I was just wondering if I could get a decent computer to run ARMA2 (preferably on medium, but that's stretching it) for around £500 at most, since I'm on a massively tight budget and I play on a HP Presario CQ57 laptop at the moment... It handles outdoor environments pretty well, but anything built-up with more than a squad of AI is stuttertastic. So to sum up, I'm looking for a versatile and decent or at least acceptable setup that can handle most things the game throws at it with little slowdown; I'll accept that at my budget I'm not going to get very high everything max FPS performance, but I just want something better than this laptop for a decent price. I'm rather computer illiterate too when it comes to different parts and building computers, so I'd prefer it to be a prefabricated rig, but if needs be I will stretch to ordering the different parts myself.

Apologies if this was a long post or anything, I always seem to overexpress myself in forums :p

Better this than phenom BE: http://www.pccomponentes.com/amd_fx_series_fx_6200_3_8ghz_6x_black_edition.html & http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_ga_990xa_ud3.html

I'd say it rather depends on Arma3's engine as Arma2 runs very badly on AMD as I've found out unfortunately. Apparently it does much better on Intel but I don't have an Intel system to confirm.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx-8150-review/9

fx cpu's and arma2 is not a good combo, arma doest benefit from more than 4 cores, the quad phenom II will perform similar to all FX cpu's, possibly better, because the BE quad has a higher clock than the X6 phenom II form the test.

Also, that sixcore FX is getting very close to the (in cpu bound games) much faster and more energy efficient i5-3350P in price. An FX sixcore is a bad choice imo.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Hello guys, I'm new here, as you can probably see. I was just wondering if I could get a decent computer to run ARMA2 (preferably on medium, but that's stretching it) for around £500 at most, since I'm on a massively tight budget and I play on a HP Presario CQ57 laptop at the moment... It handles outdoor environments pretty well, but anything built-up with more than a squad of AI is stuttertastic. So to sum up, I'm looking for a versatile and decent or at least acceptable setup that can handle most things the game throws at it with little slowdown; I'll accept that at my budget I'm not going to get very high everything max FPS performance, but I just want something better than this laptop for a decent price. I'm rather computer illiterate too when it comes to different parts and building computers, so I'd prefer it to be a prefabricated rig, but if needs be I will stretch to ordering the different parts myself.

Apologies if this was a long post or anything, I always seem to overexpress myself in forums :p

what are the specs of the laptop? Prob'ly terrible but still.

CPU

GPU (link on notebookcheck plz)

Also, do you already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor? if you already have some parts you can save quite a bit. Even ancient cases can be re-used, ATX has been around since 1995. Every part you already have will save a bit, freeing more budget for cpu and gpu, will have a great impact on the performance of the finished system.

Edited by Leon86

what are the specs of the laptop? Prob'ly terrible but still.

CPU

GPU (link on notebookcheck plz)

Also, do you already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor? if you already have some parts you can save quite a bit. Even ancient cases can be re-used, ATX has been around since 1995. Every part you already have will save a bit, freeing more budget for cpu and gpu, will have a great impact on the performance of the finished system.

I do have a mouse, keyboard and monitor, although the keyboard is rather old and the monitor is also pretty old. My notebook's specs:

CPU: AMD E-300 at 1.3GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6310

As for the notebookcheck link, I've never used that site before, so forgive me if it's not what you were looking for but http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Compaq-Presario-CQ57-303SG-Notebook.69185.0.html

Thanks for replying!

I'd say it rather depends on Arma3's engine as Arma2 runs very badly on AMD as I've found out unfortunately. Apparently it does much better on Intel but I don't have an Intel system to confirm.

Of course that’s conjecture.

I have a AMD and have very little problems running the game, there again I haven’t played any BIS made campaigns.;).