Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I believe I already answered most of these questions when you asked them a page back.

but yeah, get a quadcore, 2x4GB, 6870 (newer than 5870, not faster) and a 500W+ psu of a good brand, like corsair, seasonic, maybe cooler master, enermax. or some other a-brand.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Dunno, how many fps do you think is decent?

Average 50, minimum 20 FPS. I don't know exactly...:rolleyes:

I was wondering... if a pIIx4 overclocked to 4,0 Ghz could run this game near the max view distance, since this setting is mostly cpu wise.

I believe I already answered most of these questions when you asked them a page back.

but yeah, get a quadcore, 2x4GB, 6870 (newer than 5870, not faster) and a 500W+ psu of a good brand, like corsair, seasonic, maybe cooler master, enermax. or some other a-brand.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Dunno, how many fps do you think is decent?

Hey leon86 thanks but go SLOW I am a noob when it comes down to making a PC for myself. One more question for you does it really make a big change in gameplay and FPS rate with the SSD vs HDD. 7200 VS 10000. If it's only loadup time for the money it's not a big deal to have it in the system. The SSD with a good amount of GB will kill the budget I set. How much GB will ARMA2/OA most common MOD's and win 7 take up on a 64GB SSD. I was thinking of getting two drives when small SSD and one fair size 500GB HDD.

heres the stats on my computer and was wondering if ARMA II OR ARMA will play on my computer

DELL

INSPIRON 570

AMD SEMPRON 140PROCESSOR 2.70 GHZ

240.0GB

64-BIT OPERATING SYSTEM

ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card

windows 7home operating system

THANKS GUYS:j:

Hell yes, I was at work and on my break at 8:30, I was looking on new egg, and saw that both the SC and the Black ops version where in stock, But my check had not entered my account yet 2 seconds later I get a text saying my check has been deposited. I add the SC edition to my cart and it was out of stock already lol. But I was able to get the Black op's edition. It's the same card just different face on it. I didn't wanna support that game in any way. But had no choice as they are always at of stock. 5 minutes later all of them where out of stock again. It did set me back $540 bucks. But is well worth it. BTW the new 570 just came out. What does everyone think about that.

P.s I'm building a new computer. I haven't even been able to play arma 2 yet but now I have a mobo the I-7 950 and the evga black ops edition. Next week I order the case, ram, hard drive, and dvd drive. Go me.

The GTX 570 is pretty awesome. It's cheaper than the GTX 480, yet it has equal performance.

heres the stats on my computer and was wondering if ARMA II OR ARMA will play on my computer

DELL

INSPIRON 570

AMD SEMPRON 140PROCESSOR 2.70 GHZ

240.0GB

64-BIT OPERATING SYSTEM

ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card

windows 7home operating system

THANKS GUYS:j:

No, that's not going to work, try the demo if you want to make sure.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Hey leon86 thanks but go SLOW I am a noob when it comes down to making a PC for myself. One more question for you does it really make a big change in gameplay and FPS rate with the SSD vs HDD. 7200 VS 10000. If it's only loadup time for the money it's not a big deal to have it in the system. The SSD with a good amount of GB will kill the budget I set. How much GB will ARMA2/OA most common MOD's and win 7 take up on a 64GB SSD. I was thinking of getting two drives when small SSD and one fair size 500GB HDD.

I dont have a ssd myself. so I cant really compare. If you're on a limited budget just get a samsung spinpoint F3 1TB.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Average 50, minimum 20 FPS. I don't know exactly...:rolleyes:

I was wondering... if a pIIx4 overclocked to 4,0 Ghz could run this game near the max view distance, since this setting is mostly cpu wise.

Doubt it. Max viewdistance is a killer. If you als want to run at very high model and terrain detail that's just not going to work. Especially if you expect 50 fps. There are no computers that will run those framerates maxxed out.

???? I'd turn things like this off and play with the settings untill you have the performance you're looking for.

If you do Ctrl-shift-esc. and choose the performance tab you can see the cpu load. Play a bit and then minimise to see if one of the cores is maxxed out.

Using the program GPU-Z you can do something similar for the gpu (check the continue refreshing while in background box). This way you can easily see if your gpu or cpu is your bottleneck.

Cpu intensive settings are viewdistance, model detail, terrain detail (and shadows on medium or lower, therefore you should have them on high or off). Gpu intensive settings are anti-aliasing, postprocessing, anisotropic filtering, resolution, (shadows on high/very high)

Performance when running around on an empty island is not comparable to performance in evo/domi missions, play a mission with lots of stuff going on to gauge performance.

I just wanted to say thanks again. I did the above last night, with a MSI afterburner and resource checker running as well and tweaked a few things.

i now have a great looking game running at between 35 - 60 fps depending on load.

I've managed to reduce the texture pop ups, but those bushes still pop up just in front of me and render slowly. It's better than it was, but still...

Guys Im considering keeping my CPU as it is but changing my GPU from GTX 275 to GTX 470. Is this a good move? Not upgrading the CPU but only my graphic card? Will I still see significant change and a big improvment in my FPS?

AMD Phenom II X4 965(3,4 Ghz) Black Edition

GTX 275 Core Edition

DDR3 1333 4GB 2x2GB

Guys Im considering keeping my CPU as it is but changing my GPU from GTX 275 to GTX 470. Is this a good move? Not upgrading the CPU but only my graphic card? Will I still see significant change and a big improvment in my FPS?

AMD Phenom II X4 965(3,4 Ghz) Black Edition

GTX 275 Core Edition

DDR3 1333 4GB 2x2GB

The 470 is about 1.5 times as fast as the 275. Will you notice that in framerate? that depends on your settings.

Right now I run everything in high .

disabled AA,

1836 distancce,

normal textures ,

normal shadow,

disabled postprocess effects,

normal terrain

normal objects

Resolution 1680x1050

daft question, but I have a 4890 and a Q6600 @ 3.5

I have PP set to normal, and without AA applied it looks very nice, sharp, a few jaggies though

(running at 1900x1200 resolution)

but when I apply Antialiasing, either low, or normal or any setting for that matter, the whole picture becomes very blurred, not smoothed AA blurred, just blurred - looks terrible

any ideas ?

It's unreleased, so obviously, no one knows much about it.

I Know, but I was hoping you knew something:p

Hello community and thank you all for the input about PC hardware. I am almost there to build the system this week. Has anyone played ARMA2/OA with the new phenom 2 six core 3.2 ghz with L3 cache 6mb for 219.00 us dollars.

A few people replayed that the intel core is just better the the AMD core to play ARMA2 for some reason! Nobody can give details why the intel is better for ARMA.

The i5-760 quad core 2.8 ghz with L3 CACHE 8MB for 204.00 us dollars. The i7 WILL JUST KILL my budget of $800.00 to build this system.

I know the CPU should be the best you can get to make ARMA run well over the other hardware.

If anyone has the AMD SIX CORE please let me know what you think about the CPU over the intel as well as the phenom quad core. I am a noob with this building a PC thing not with the GAME lol.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Hey guys, this is the system I will be getting... How well will it run?

AMD Athlon II X2 255(3.1GHz)

4GB DDR3

500GB HDD

ATI Radeon HD 5450 1gb PCI Express 2.0x16

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Hey guys, this is the system I will be getting... How well will it run?

AMD Athlon II X2 255(3.1GHz)

4GB DDR3

500GB HDD

ATI Radeon HD 5450 1gb PCI Express 2.0x16

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

It won't run. You need atleast quad core CPU such as a i5 750 or a P2 955 for Arma to run at all on multiplayer without Arma looking like BF2. You need a better GPU too, about a 460GTX 1GB should do the job.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Hello community and thank you all for the input about PC hardware. I am almost there to build the system this week. Has anyone played ARMA2/OA with the new phenom 2 six core 3.2 ghz with L3 cache 6mb for 219.00 us dollars.

A few people replayed that the intel core is just better the the AMD core to play ARMA2 for some reason! Nobody can give details why the intel is better for ARMA.

The i5-760 quad core 2.8 ghz with L3 CACHE 8MB for 204.00 us dollars. The i7 WILL JUST KILL my budget of $800.00 to build this system.

I know the CPU should be the best you can get to make ARMA run well over the other hardware.

If anyone has the AMD SIX CORE please let me know what you think about the CPU over the intel. Thank you. I am a noob with this building a PC thing not with the GAME lol.

Get the i5 760 for gaming, if you wish to do something CPU intensive, get the i7 930 and 6 gigs of ram. Thubans are not good for gaming, they're cheap 6 core CPUs but they're not that powerful for gaming because not a single game other than BFBC 2 has been made to support well up to 6-8 cores.

... You need atleast quad core CPU such as a i5 750 or a P2 955 for Arma to run at all on multiplayer without Arma looking like BF2. You need a better GPU too, about a 460GTX 1GB should do the job.

I disagree with this assessment. my old Core2duo e7400 and single gtx275 ran Arma2 with mostly high settings, AA normal and PP low. framerate was 20-40.

Hi I can make a direct comparison between the PII 1090T and the I7 930.

First off, the 1090T will get the job done but... I'm getting a little more out of this intel (possibly due to the triple channel ram)

The 1090T is a good chip though, but the I7930 is better.

Just my personal observation.

Phenom II X6 1055T (2.8 GHz) or Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 GHz)?

I am getting a new rig together so i can finally get back into the game. I just want to get the best bang for the buck, and deciding on the right CPU is quite a challenge. It's got to be an AMD though, Intel would blow my budget.

The Phenom X4 965 @ 3.4 GHz is about 20-30 Euros cheaper than the six-core 1055T @2.8, but the latter still has the Turbo option if some cores are not in use. Would it be worth spending a little more for the six core option?

Phenom II X6 1055T (2.8 GHz) or Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 GHz)?

I am getting a new rig together so i can finally get back into the game. I just want to get the best bang for the buck, and deciding on the right CPU is quite a challenge. It's got to be an AMD though, Intel would blow my budget.

The Phenom X4 965 @ 3.4 GHz is about 20-30 Euros cheaper than the six-core 1055T @2.8, but the latter still has the Turbo option if some cores are not in use. Would it be worth spending a little more for the six core option?

We have the same issue. When you have a budget to make a system to run ARMA2/OA where do you put the most resources into the system.

I have talked to a few BOHEMIA DEVELOPERS and other members on this forum. With all the information/input this is what I get. Please if this is wrong somebody let me know! Before I make my system.

The most IMPORTANT hardware to make ARMA run well. Answer the CPU!

For some reason most people have a premise that INTEL CPU's are better for playing ARMA then AMD even if the Specifications of the CPU's are the same.

No one can give my real details why this is.

This was strongly suggested to me from the DEVELOPERS. Right now a significant increase in frequency of the CPU (ghz) is far better then having more cores ie QUAD OR 6 CORE over a dual core. The reason is ARMA2 was made for a dual core in mind. Maybe somewhere in the future the game will be fully Optimized for a QUAD or 6 CORE CPU BUT right now the game runs better with a dual core with the same frequency. Is this true.

The real question is what is a significant increase in frequency to superseed more cores in a CPU for this game.

1. is 0.17 ghz

2. is 0.30 ghz

3. is 0.70 ghz

For example for around the same cost you can get:

1. AMD phenom 2-970 deneb quad core 3.5 ghz for $185.00

2. INTEL i5-661 clarkdale dual core 3.33 ghz for $209.00

3. AMD phenom 2-1090T thuban 6 core 3.2 ghz for $219.00

4. INTEL i5-760 lynnfield quad core 2.8 ghz for $204.00

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

This was strongly suggested to me from the DEVELOPERS. Right now a significant increase in frequency of the CPU (ghz) is far better then having more cores ie QUAD OR 6 CORE over a dual core. The reason is ARMA2 was made for a dual core in mind. Maybe somewhere in the future the game will be fully Optimized for a QUAD or 6 CORE CPU BUT right now the game runs better with a dual core with the same frequency. Is this true.

The real question is what is a significant increase in frequency to superseed more cores in a CPU for this game.

I recently posted this information, but i cant remember where so ill give you a short recap.

I have a Phenom II 955 (4 cores) @ 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, HD4870

My FPS at benchmark 2: 22.

My mate has a Phenom II something 6 cores @ 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 470GTX

His FPS at benchmark 2: 23.

Both had the same low settings for testing, though my FPS doesnt change a lot in this benchmark no matter what settings i use.

I wouldnt want to play this game on anything less than a quad core, but if i had to choose between 6 cores or 4 faster cores, i would choose the 4 faster cores (i7's mostly) any day.

I recently posted this information, but i cant remember where so ill give you a short recap.

I have a Phenom II 955 (4 cores) @ 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, HD4870

My FPS at benchmark 2: 22.

My mate has a Phenom II something 6 cores @ 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 470GTX

His FPS at benchmark 2: 23.

Both had the same low settings for testing, though my FPS doesnt change a lot in this benchmark no matter what settings i use.

I wouldnt want to play this game on anything less than a quad core, but if i had to choose between 6 cores or 4 faster cores, i would choose the 4 faster cores (i7's mostly) any day.

Thanks for the replay I know the i7 but don't have that kind of money to put into the system.

Did you read my post the developers told me that the ghz are more important then the number of cores in the CPU you and your buddy have the same speed. What I want to know what is the benchmark that speed ghz does not superseed the core number. HOW MUCH IN ghz. One of the developers told me this: sorry no names

[The most important is definitely the CPU (assuming the GPU and harddrive are not really bad). When thinking about Arma 2, dual at 3.33 seems currently a slightly better choice than quad 2.8 GHz, but both should perform quite well. Overall, quad seems a little bit more futureproof to me - even for ArmA 2 it is possible we will still implemented some more threading optimizations, which might shift the picture].

Why does your MATE have so much RAM (16gb ram). I was told the the CPU/ARMA2 does not use more then 6MB in the game!

I am just trying to Learn so I can make the best decision-making when I make my PC within my budget. This is all new to me building a PC and I will ask a lot of questions.