Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Is there a decrease in performance if a motherboard is a micro ATX?

There's nothing wrong with mic ATX but if you don't need one due to small case i wouldn't go for it.

Not as good cooling capabilities as ATX and your GPU ram CPU cooler will get way too close to each other and thus getting some decent aftermarket cooler may not fit than = no OC'ing..

Well if you guys have any reccomendations for a cheap but decent motherboard for an i5 2300 then im open to it and it doesnt need to have p67.

m-atx is fine, only difference is the amount of expansion slots for videocards and stuff. All m-atx boards also fit in regular atx cases.

Alright, rather quick search but decent boards for a buck...

(afaik if you register at newegg you get promocode for further pricedrop :) )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130576

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128520

Also, have you've gotten the 2300 i5 already or would that be rather favorit for your build?

Thanks for those options! They both seem great but whats the difference between the PCI-E x4 and x16? Different performance improvements?

I feel you should never go for older architecture and CPUs when it comes to building a future proof-ish rig you might want to play A3 on.

That said, You either get an i7 2600(k), or you wait a bit longer for the new generation processors to hit the market (the already late 8core Bulldozers) and the Sandy E.

The GFX card has some mileage left to go, even without giving it a twin in SLi.

Point noted, I'll think it over but I will probably more than likely go for the I7 2600k instead of waiting it out for the Sandy Bridge-E(unless it comes out in the next month or 2). I don't really game much, I'm mostly doing web development....so it wouldn't take much for my PC to be future proof. Only games I need my PC to play well are ARMA 2 & 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3 & BF3. :p

Edited by SM0k3

Thanks for those options! They both seem great but whats the difference between the PCI-E x4 and x16? Different performance improvements?

It's the bandwith of the pci-e connection from the gpu to the processor. All boards have at least one x16 connection, almost always the highest large pci-e slot. Put the gpu in there and all will be well.

More expensive sandy bridge boards can split the x16 into x8 x8 so you can use sli or crossfire with decent bandwith.

will fit yes. But that GT240 needs an upgrade to a proper card pretty soonish...

I know that. I was asking because im buying the mobo and cpu first and was wondering if i could use my graphics card while I save up for a new one.

Hi troops, I won a gtx 285 on ebay £70 :)but don't get it until next week, i have a 285 and I am going to sli them, at the moment i'm getting 35 fps at high settings on bench 1, has anyone got any clues to what ill see after i sli them.

In outdoor areas it will provide a big boost but in built up areas and/or when there is a lot of AI about, the CPU limit kicks in.

It will be better in some situations but the CPU limit will rear it's ugly head in others.

TBH, it's a lot better now than it was at launch but I don't think we'll see optimization from the ground up for 4+ cores until ArmA 3.

We definitely have the hardware but ArmA 2 was not written to take full advantage of it.

Thanks guys I went for the Asus GTX 560Ti, its fuckin epic!

Edited by Bigpickle

Hi guys, well got my gtx285 and fitted it last night loaded up arma bench mark 1 and got 5 fps with sli enabled 35 with it off wtf am i missing something does sli work in arma? I got a lot of flashing on my screen when the game was at receving

q9400

4 gig 800mhz ram

2x gtx 285

xp pro

1200 watt psu

I fixed the 5 fps BS seems alt tabbing out and back fixed that however I still only get 29 fps with sli, with it disabled i get 36 fps

Edited by Polecat.uk
more info

For some reason im having trouble buying a motherboard from Newegg. If the problems not solved soon then ill probably just go to my nearby computer store. Ive been thinking about getting this.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=165292&CatId=6975

Looks pretty good but im not sure.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Or maybe this

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=717473&CatId=6975

Hi guys, well got my gtx285 and fitted it last night loaded up arma bench mark 1 and got 5 fps with sli enabled 35 with it off wtf am i missing something does sli work in arma? I got a lot of flashing on my screen when the game was at receving

q9400

4 gig 800mhz ram

2x gtx 285

xp pro

1200 watt psu

I fixed the 5 fps BS seems alt tabbing out and back fixed that however I still only get 29 fps with sli, with it disabled i get 36 fps

I get the same thing when the screen is at receiving, very annoying, but ingame it works fine for me (2x gtx260 in sli).

In your case you're probably cpu limited with your current settings, but because you now have massive gpu power put the 3d res on 115%, add some antialiasing, shadows high etc. Maybe lower model and terrain detail and viewdistance a bit to increase fps.

I think your right Leon, I have been thinking about updating the cpu but was trying to hold of until arma 3 was in the shops, I will go with an i7 2600k it should be fine with arma 3 I hope.