Sign in to follow this  
Kynxx

how about tunnels/caves?

i have been asking diffrent people for a while if this was possible with ArmA. some answered me that it MAY BE possible to create a addon that could act as a mountain with some caves or tunnels. but such thing in standard ArmA may be a naive dream for kids.

Will there be by any chance to create caves/tunnels in ArmA2?

It's highly unlikely and probably only doable with a workaround. If I understand this system correctly, it should be the most effective workaround.

You'd need to have the tunnels as a static - there is no way to create underground with a 2D heightmap wink_o.gif

Alex.Sworn did underground buildings for ArmA on his map like bunkers or rocket silo... smile_o.gif But at GC Marek said it isn't possible in ArmA to have tunnels/ underground buildings...Maybe due to their dispute with Alex.Sworn...

I remember they talked of Z-buffering or something else that would cause artifacts due the objects such as caves and undergrounds being placed, which is an engine limitation.

help.gif

The best way would be to be able to create "holes" (delete a cell) in the ground to avoid intersection and use a model of an actual cave to cover the hole and allow you to get "inside the mountain" as in a burried building.

You'd need to have the tunnels as a static - there is no way to create underground with a 2D heightmap wink_o.gif

Actually you can :-)

Remember, that "flat" heightmaps are only 8bit.

IF we would have REAL underground structures (e.g. tunnels and bunkers) we would as a consequence like to destroy them (of couuurssse :D ).

Since dynamic terrain is not supported in ArmA 1 (dunno how it will be in ArmA2) and workarounds usually causing other side effects, I would skip this wish for ArmA 2 but making a vote for ArmA 3. It won't come before if it really requires a complete overhaul of the engine to properly support this.

Would be nice but I doubt AI would be able to navigate them properlly or be able to stay in them without going through walls and etc

Hi, more than caves i'll be happy if we could have just trenches, and as underground structure

i'll be happy with sewers in the main citys, for the smugglers, get into enemy territory and

also to store supplyes for future missions. But there don't gonna be anything similar in the

ArmA2, no trenches and much less sewer systems. Let's C ya

Hey, and what about trainz/railway tunnels? Do they have railways in Chernarus? Imagine mission like "attack a train full of Chedaki both from the air and land before it enters Roki tunnel," that would be great :-P

And I also hope, that there will be some football pitches all around Chernarus.. if ARMA2 has to be really realistic, it definitely needs some "soviet-style" stadiums.. :-)

According to a preview presented by Jan Prazak we can forget it for ArmA 2 engine.

Obvious that they have to turn the engine upside-down to make it happen.

Well Ive heard VBS2 has cave systems so they already know how to do it. I dont think we will see cave systems..in arma 2 .....We can hope for it in Arma 3

You should firstly hope for ArmA 3. Unfortunately ArmA2 looks like last attempt to the subject.

There is some talk about ArmA3 in this forum. Isn't ArmA2 is the final military game of BIS? I thought they were moving on to science fiction (Carrier Command) after ArmA2.

There is some talk about ArmA3 in this forum. Isn't ArmA2 is the final military game of BIS? I thought they were moving on to science fiction (Carrier Command) after ArmA2.

I hope thats not true:(

Whatever they do, they will use parts of the currrent engine and develope it further. And on the battle deck of a carrier (space-) ship with simulated gravity they have to simulate the simulated gravity :D :D :D

So if they waste time making other nonsense apart from MilSims they might be able to use their engine in 2035 to do ArmA 3.