Sign in to follow this  
Jacobite

Arma 2 coded in?

High level programming languajes are very time consuming but run lovely and debugging is somawhat easier.

You´d better decice what kind of company you are willing to work for ... then you focus on the language .. for example a lot of banks still use vintage Fortan coded programs...

C++ is a good starter, but its good if you can do some high tech stuff that makes life easier for you like python according to a programmer friend of mine who has been a student of code since almost 2 years back now smile_o.gif

he sleeps every second night, sometimes he lives 3 days without sleep  tounge2.gif

Also playing some music can help coding at night time smile_o.gif

My coder friend says that Python can do a game in less code than C++ biggrin_o.gif

So Visual BASIC won't cut it then eh???  tounge2.gif

That would have been my proposal biggrin_o.gif

I thought ArmA was being coded in sqs/sqf   nener.gif

just put <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">arma.exe = call compile "arma.sqf"

On the topic: Im used to php, (wich isnt really a programming language.) But when I had to learn C# for the uni it was a disaster. Who cares about memory allocations and pointers lol, I want to make a program, not invent a wheel biggrin_o.gif

so, memory allocation and pointers are evil in C.

It is said that if you make a mistake in C its like shooting yourself in the leg.

But if you make the same mistake in C++ you will shoot your leg off smile_o.gif

IMHO the most advanced and hard to code things in Arma (beside graphics which is another story) was SQS/SQF script language and realtime interpreter. You can simply put it as the more advanced engine the more powerfull script language is, take QuakeC for example.

So ... try to learn C++ && Sqf scripts, bigger chance for your dream-job smile_o.gif

I wouldn't call C# a programming language either biggrin_o.gif

I wounder, why C# is not popular in the gaming industry^^.

Is it the performance (due to garbage collection) or is it just a mix of ideology  biggrin_o.gif and the used libraries ?

I have seen many reports for example that you are 5x more productive in python than in java.

Nor, that I would choose python for a 3D simulation rendering engine ;-).

But I am really wondering, why C/C++ is still so extreme popular.

(Tiobe Index)

I wouldn't call C# a programming language either biggrin_o.gif

I wounder, why C# is not popular in the gaming industry^^.

Is it the performance (due to garbage collection) or is it just a mix of ideology  biggrin_o.gif and the used libraries ?

I have seen many reports for example that you are 5x more productive in python than in java.

Nor, that I would choose python for a 3D simulation rendering engine ;-).

But I am really wondering, why C/C++ is still so extreme popular.

(Tiobe Index)

Why

assembler. Suma doesn't sleep 6 days of the week and works in assembler, occasionally he goes down to the bare basics of binary.

Haha funny, but don't you think some of the other programmers deserve some credit? Afterall they have to keep up with him. wink_o.gif

I suppose you code it during your sleep as well?

(Well the brain does help while you sleep:P)

But

Im trying to decide what language/'s I should aim to be "proficient" at to be able to get a job...

Currently im learning C++,Vb(both in Vstudio 08),next year Python and Java.

Edit:

Thanks for the reply to "Routine c++" much appreciated:P

The fact that im asking STL vector?

A quick search tells me Standard Template Library.

Which I havent covered yet and I suppose I wont be until next year(as the least amount of time(well depending on time during summer))

If you're proficient in one language you'll get proficient in another easily.

So i guess get good at *something* and you'll get a job *somewhere*.

I thought ArmA was being coded in sqs/sqf   nener.gif

just put <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">arma.exe = call compile "arma.sqf"

On the topic: Im used to php, (wich isnt really a programming language.) But when I had to learn C# for the uni it was a disaster. Who cares about memory allocations and pointers lol, I want to make a program, not invent a wheel  biggrin_o.gif

ArmA was pure sqs, ArmA 2 is a step up :P => sqf

I suppose you code it during your sleep as well?

(Well the brain does help while you sleep:P)

But

Im trying to decide what language/'s I should aim to be "proficient" at to be able to get a job...

Currently im learning C++,Vb(both in Vstudio 08),next year Python and Java.

Edit:

Thanks for the reply to "Routine c++" much appreciated:P

The fact that im asking STL vector?

A quick search tells me Standard Template Library.

Which I havent covered yet and I suppose I wont be until next year(as the least amount of time(well depending on time during summer))

If you're proficient in one language you'll get proficient in another easily.

So i guess get good at *something* and you'll get a job *somewhere*.

I dont think you can be proficient if you go for java or visual basic and then go for a job were they use C++ ... unless they have a hell of patience with you confused_o.gif

The other way around may be easier but not sure.

Actually Java is pretty much simplified C++ so it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but VB?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Only noob programmers use high level programming languages and IDEs. Real programmers use butterflies.

real_programmers.png

(Source: http://xkcd.com/378/)

(Sorry for going a little bit offtopic, thought it was worth posting smile_o.gif)

My coder friend says that Python can do a game in less code than C++  biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, but python is going to be a good bit slower than C++. That said, some strategy games (in particular Civ4) are written in Python. I'm not sure if something really 3D-intensive would run well with Python.

Incidentally, C and C++ and really fast, that's why they get used more often. I think it's to do with the fact that they're "middle-level" languages - in terms of complexity and speed they come in between pure assembly and something like Java.

Yet XNA Game Studio is C#, a very easy language.......kinda

Does that mean the ArmA 2 will have to be recoded for 360 or what?

TO be a good coder, you need to walk, talk and behave nerdy, it´s the main thing, dont visit a barber for about 5 years, get glasses with at least 6.0 dioptrine and wear clothes from the early 90s.

Yet XNA Game Studio is C#, a very easy language.......kinda

Does that mean the ArmA 2 will have to be recoded for 360 or what?

Nope. It's not as if the Xbox 360 is C# only. Progams written in C/C++can run on just about everything.

Of course choosing the correct answers to, hmm, delicate questions, naturally makes you a good coder, or at least an honest geek... Such as this one...

Have a blast biggrin_o.gif

Couldn't resist biggrin_o.gif