Sign in to follow this  
Farks

Trains after all?!

BIS must of figured it out... or added another LOD to the models.  I remember the feature creep with OFP.  First you were not going to be able to move very far into forests or off a set path.... but the also solved that one.  fingers crossed with the trains and any other little surprise they have....

Called it!

I mean, they did have some pretty extensive rails laid down since 2007.

93604070.jpg

I mean, a simple long track extending across the landscape would have suited fine.

I was totally waiting for this since I started seeing pictures of the tracks last year and I got reallly disapointed when I heard they were only going to be static. Hey, even if they are just scripted... its.. its a TRAIIN!

i can't see it can anyone give me the time when the train passes?

at the point of the explosion. Im gona run it in slow motion to see if i can see if its real, isnit it traveling fast becasue the security cam is speeded up?

Now that you helped me notice it, I think it is definite evidence that there will at least be working trains as decoration, because:

1) B.I. prides itself on only putting real in-game stuff in its videos

2) They snuck it in so that you could easily miss it. I thought the video was rather ho-hum, but the sneak-peek at a train makes this video equal with the others to us long-time fans.

We (the AEF Team) spend weeks and Month to design a mostly functional Train as possible in OFP.

With the experience of today and some new ArmA commands there are some things can do much better as in the AEF-Train in OFP, but the big problems are allways the same.

The thing is that fully functional trains would need some new conditions:

- a reduceable AI reaction time (at best via command)

- possibilities to turn of the AI "geometry collision" detecting off (used to drive with a wagon in direction of moving)

- a easy sync method to handle it much in MP, createlocal in the actual type aren't enough

If there is a working train in Arma 2 consisting of linked vehicles wouldn´t this also mean that there could be a chance of towable objects like field artilllery, trailers, etc ? whistle.gif

It's around 1:00.

I've an annotation in my video:

If there is a working train in Arma 2 consisting of linked vehicles wouldn´t this also mean that there could be a chance of towable objects like field artilllery, trailers, etc ?  whistle.gif

Of cause tis would be very nice, but i see in this case additionally the much complicated thing in the towable object when driving backwards.

Because the hanger in this case don't drive in a fix track, so the AI can't ignore it and would cause massive problems when manouvering with it.  whistle.gif

Btw. i've forgot a important condition which is needed to make a Train possible:

- the AI have to know where the train begins and ends, otherwise the track bumpers would get much to do.

biggrin_o.gif

Overall i think BIS gave the train a little a little poke via poke via setvelocity or so.

That's absolutly enough for a use in Trailer/Cutscenes etc. wink_o.gif

Nah Bis wouldn't do that, they never shop anything  biggrin_o.gif

But they did put in a carrier that won't be able to be driven like a vehicle, just as a static object.

Im pretty sure the trains there for more purpose than eyecandy and cover object in a firefight.

I mean there so much that feels next gen in A2, I mean look at those pilots and policemen glass shaders on the sun glasses  smile_o.gif

They look crazy nice, It feels that very much in Arma 2 gets great love from the devs.  inlove.gif

I hope the train will be Mp compatible, would really make for fun situations in coop or pvp missions.

its great with that extra class of vehicles, you have cars, armor, air and ship and what was missing??? trains of course yay.gif

I see lots of buzz about trains. Why so great, though? They could add a good mission dynamic, destroy a supply line but it's still only a minor thing in my opinion. I'm by no means complaining about having trains, though.

If there is a working train in Arma 2 consisting of linked vehicles wouldn´t this also mean that there could be a chance of towable objects like field artilllery, trailers, etc ?  whistle.gif

Weren't some of said features developed for VBS2 (not that I intend to go into the whole VBS vs ArmA development thing)? It wouldn't be unreasonable for BIS to develop similiar features, whether indepenedlty or alongside VBS, for ArmA2.

It's around 1:00.

I've an annotation in my video:

thanks alot buddy, i can;t believe i was so blind i couldn't see it lol

trains are amazing, i hope we can drive them and derail them

Quote[/b] ]thanks alot buddy, i can;t believe i was so blind i couldn't see it lol

Didn't see it either, strange that such a feature appears in such a subliminal way...

Its the one and only "Speedtrain - from Praha to Wladiwostok" to deliver news and goods! This train doesnt stop in Cheranaruss because people on Kiska waiting desperately on its arrival... tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]thanks alot buddy, i can;t believe i was so blind i couldn't see it lol

Didn't see it either, strange that such a feature appears in such a subliminal way...

therefore it might only be eye candy. I wouldnt get your hopes up untill you see some real evidence, thats what im waiting for to belive it.

Not some few second clip :/

Hey, that looks really promising... and I don't expect BIS to show something like this in an official trailer if its just eye candy.

And I think the faster playback speed of the video could explain the rapid movement of the train. Never the less, it looks a bit velocitied (I know how trains driving with setVelocity look like biggrin_o.gif)

Nice find, I didnt noticed that earlier smile_o.gif But when I watched NAPA video again waiting for the train I noticed a very very good looking morning fog !

Nice find, I didnt noticed that earlier smile_o.gif But when I watched NAPA video again waiting for the train I noticed a very very good looking morning fog !

Yes they improved the fog quite a bit.

Someone bribe Suma with a pint of beer and a cheeseburger to tell all.

If he doesn't accept the meal deal then rip his arm off and hit him with the soggy end until he does!

That should do it...

Quote[/b] ]rip his arm off

Please don't... He would be 50% slower to code...

that's not good for us.

Quote[/b] ]rip his arm off

Please don't... He would be 50% slower to code...

that's not good for us.

They would have to delay the game due to his slower typing speed rofl.gif

Just for the understanding,

You know that Ondrej Spanel is a real existing person under the nickname, Suma? I think it goes a bit too far here. So please be abit serious and respectfull.

btw. I know the meaning of being ironic.