Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

Arma2 Area Sat-Pictures updated in Google Earth

I just downloaded Google Earth V5 and to my surprise they updated the sat-images from the area Arma2 will be played....

With the old GE Images ~6Months ago i could not think of the scale of that map, but now since you can zoom-in so much, it looks really gigantic from the size.

It pretty strange, all that Data of Sahranis size and also the comparison-pictures between chernarus and Sahrani, that some community members had made, must be wrong scaled, as the Chernarus Area seems to be way way bigger.....

Just DL Google-Earth V5 and search for "Nestemicka". The Elbe-Area is the border to the area where in Arma2 the sea will be be.

Picture:

arma2areaeq3.th.jpg

Maybe we can try to re-spot certain ares from the Arma2 Teasers/Trailers?

Where is that big Antenna?  tounge2.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

I think it looks small, but ok, as long as it's bigger than Sahrani then it's ok.

Have you looked for yourself via google-earth and have zoomed a bit or do you just judge by the screenshot from me?

My screenshot is only attached to beter find the area when you look for yourself...

BTW i have found out that the TV-Antenna is in RL outside of Arma2 area.... i guess BI has moved it.....

I think it looks small, but ok, as long as it's bigger than Sahrani then it's ok.

Have you looked for yourself via google-earth and have zoomed a bit or do you just judge by the screenshot from me?

My screenshot is only attached to beter find the area when you look for yourself...

BTW i have found out that the TV-Antenna is in RL outside of Arma2 area.... i guess BI has moved it.....

Big Antenna?

Here is it: Big Big   and here: Big 2.

Not outside. wink_o.gif

Big Antenna?

Here is it: Big Big   and here: Big 2

No no, i mean the big one which is in Arma2 and its the one from the "Buchberg" how i recently found out...

It pretty strange, all that Data of Sahranis size and also the comparison-pictures between chernarus and Sahrani, that some community members had made, must be wrong scaled, as the Chernarus Area seems to be way way bigger.....

No.

Now, this just popped into my mind while playing with Google Earth... I can't imagine living that far from the ocean !    tounge2.gif

I cant be impressed with the size of it in google when I cant directly compare it with the size of Sahrani.

Chernarus is bigger, but not ridiculously bigger.

Lol, guys, seriously download GE 5, then zoom-in to a level you will be able to see roads or towns....

And then compare that too Sahrani..... whistle.gif

My feeling is, that its around 5-6 times the usable land-mass of Arma1.

Google Maps is just as good. A plane would move from A to B in a few minutes. You can walk across the place in a few hours. I would like a map where it takes one day to walk. Like at least 80x80km.

Sahrani was small, but that's ok as it is an island. It's harder to motivate the small area (sure it's big compared to many other games) if it's land only.

Hopefully there will be expansions with more maps.

Hopefully there will be expansions with more maps.

There is much indicating into this direction...

- Arma2 campaign has a name like "Harvest Red"

- Arma2 is considered as a "big/huge" project by BIS themselves (read Oharas statement about dev-size in OFP2 topic)

- "Arma2-Pure" only plays on the area of "south-zagoria" and not entire Chernarus:

arma2hg4.th.jpg

So i believe that there will be expansion packs, expanding Chernarus to the east-areas.

So that huge map is actually more than just something to provide a "greater setting" ?

I doubt we will ever see the whole of Chernarus in one singe map ; that would be mindblowingly awesome.

What do you mean by 'usable land mass'.  Do you mean that the boundaries will be bigger or that the landmass itself is more condusive to use?

I don't think they digitized that whole area to scale with every building, ditch, man, woman, and child. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't only a lose correlation to relative scales.

I think what he means is that there is more land. The map Sahrani was big, but the island (the actual land) was small.

I think what he means is that there is more land. The map Sahrani was big, but the island (the actual land) was small.

Exactly!

don't forget the small island of Utes which mr.g-c linked earlier but didn't talk about.

In ARMA1 you had Sahrani and Rahmadi, and rahmadi by itself.

In ARMA2 i'm guessing you'll have chernarus and the small island south of it called utes, and utes separately  biggrin_o.gif

I really hope i can use Sahrani and Porto etc. in ARMA2 straight from the ARMA2 menu without having to port them as a mod  icon_rolleyes.gif

I also noticed that in chernarus, instead of a green ugly patch of grass, they put an airport which is nice  tounge2.gif

People can now start planning their missions before ARMA2 is released!

Just looked at the north of the South-Zagoria Area and there is such a awesome, beautiful and big mountain-line!

I already have like 10.000 Mission ideas tounge2.gifrofl.gif

I really hope BIS will bring frequently Expansion-Packages in a more-or-less frequently time after Arma2 release. So in a few years hopefully whole Chernarus could be walkable.... inlove.gif

Just noticed petrovice on that map pic.

i rather fondly remember that place from nogova in original flashpoint.

What do you mean by 'usable land mass'.  Do you mean that the boundaries will be bigger or that the landmass itself is more condusive to use?

I don't think they digitized that whole area to scale with every building, ditch, man, woman, and child.  I'd be very surprised if there wasn't only a lose correlation to relative scales.

Please forward your time to 2:00 (ok, a few seconds before)  and listen to what he says about the building. biggrin_o.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAK6q7YvtLw&feature=related

Sweetness!  Guns and geography lessons!  yay.gif

Edit: Alex, not sure what you mean by farm? Yea, it is really a farm, not a building as such, but did you hear the part about being able to travel to the real location and see it in-situ? That says to me the region in the game is more or less intact. Just my interpretation of the dialog smile_o.gif

I think they said they took the area as it is and just added/removed or located some objects around to make it more tactical. Where it maybe was too much openess (very much) they added some trees and stones etc to make it a bit better.

But i would also be surprised if everything is in scale with just some touches to make some areas more tactical.

We will see soon.

@Scrub: ...Farm? haha

/Alex

What you say about expansions to get the "WHOLE"

Chernarus in one map is interesting.

Id like to see a "MapLinking" tool. Were you could

link different maps to one BIIIIIG map.

Imagine linking Chernarus, Saharani, OFP world and

tons of usermade islands to one BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG:

Bohemia World Map.... pistols.gif

That would give some user made addons a meaning,

like RKSL cargo system, Large cargo planes (DC, Hercs,

AN´s), an Air Defence system with realistic ranges.

Yummi yay.gif

notworthy.gif

You don't need to link them, if you got the hdd space you just put them into one map. Thanks to the streaming technology, islands are only hdd-space limited. Try to imagine you want to upload you custom island up to 2+ GB biggrin_o.gif

And yes, i am really sure they edited the big cities so you got the city-feeling in ArmA 2 but they wont demand great hardware... smile_o.gif It is not like VBS cloning a real city into a game/simulator

arma2real11.jpg