Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

VBS2 1.22 ADF, NZDF and SDF Screenshots

Its sad to see really that the community here has released addons with visually far greater quality than these screenshots present. What is BIA wasting money on?
Y not just make a cardboard box with big gun (tank) cardboard box with small gun (car) and box with no gun (truck)? Well its because of immersion. But the thing is immersion is increased the more real something looks so the simulation becomes technically more real and suspension of disbelief is further employed.
I would, with no hesitation, recommend VBS2 to any person that is looking to spend $1500.

I heard on the grape vine that there might be 1 or 2 new maps in slow development for 'General' Customers, but nothing too soon.

Buts thats sort of backward development, with this in mind the new more feature loaded games and addons would then be made less and less visually appealing.
For the money they get for these models you can make all the texture maps in the world on deadline
Gnat @ Jan. 08 2009,10:18)]Well, people seem to be forgetting that the reason this product is a sucess and why its used is because of the "realism".

Realism would be enhanced by including spec and normal maps etc ...... putting aside the argument for the moment that the PC dont have the power to do everything in VBS2.

Be careful how you throw that back at me/us ... because I can defend by saying "if the look/realism is not really that important, then why did BI use HQ sat maps in those landscape pictures I see ... ?"

Yeh yeh, sure, whatever. Terrain recognition blah blah blah

nener.gif

Gnat @ Jan. 08 2009,03:18)]Realism would be enhanced by including spec and normal maps etc ......

Tell me this then, how does a landrover, hmmwv, abrams, bushmaster having all its nuts and bolts in a normal map and a nice specular map make it any better for training than one which does not?

You're taking the "realism" lable (which gets thrown around WAY too much on these forums) a little bit too literally.

You're all (mostly) missing the bigger picture, that is the point for the users is that it looks like a landrover, hmmwv, abrams, bushmaster etc. It doesnt matter if every nut, bolt, rivet or weld is there, because thats not what VBS is for and it doesnt effect the outcome of the training. If they want to train on the tiny little details of the vehicle, they go and train on a real one.

Edit to add: this is why we cant have nice things: I.e. discussion of VBS on these forums, because it ALWAYS ends up like this... crazy_o.gif

Please just stop this discussion. Otherwise this thread will be closed.

Customers are satisfied else they'd not buy it (as they evaluate it before buying).

Namikaze

If you have nothing constructive to add to a thread, then don't post at all. Spamming the forums to increase your postcount might result in something totally opposite. wink_o.gif

Your reply in general could be meant as offending, too.

Is it really impossible in these forums, in this community to discuss VBS2 without flaming and insulting? Looks like... sad_o.gif

To imply that I made that post to increase my post count implies that you know what I'm thinking. With all due respect, W0lle, you have no idea what I'm thinking.

I use VBS2 in a professional capacity, and seeing these posts about the "intent" of VBS2, and theorizing about the "reasoning" behind BIA's decisions, and such is just silly. I merely pointed out that silliness in a way that should be regarded as humorous, not insulting. I have nothing against any of the people here, I'm simply pointing at the silliness of these theories.

There's no need to (yet again) single me out in a forum that is riddled with flamebait. If you have an issue with me, I'd appreciate you using PMs to convey it.

There's no need to (yet again) single me out in a forum that is riddled with flamebait. If you have an issue with me, I'd appreciate you using PMs to convey it.

Speak for yourself. Replying with a video link alone, with no comments? Smells like spam to me.

If you have beef with a moderator's decision, take it up with them via PMs. See rule §18.

Any further public discussion of how the forum is moderated will result in WLs + PRs.

Anyways lets get this back on track.

Those screenshots are extremley nice, and show VBS2's beautiful engine and maps at work.

I would love to see VBS2 being used in a professional enviroment.

In all honesty, i dont think the guys who are trained/train by/with VBS2 care about the graphics, but rather how to keep their heads down and learn the drills, before they get their arse kicked and flown back home in a coffin.

some people need to get their head outta their ass and realize that VBS2 isnt meant for the broad public, which also reflects in the prize, which for my 2 cent, is absolutaly correct and serves its main purpose, which is (at least on my twisted mind): keeping the friggen whiny kids outta there..

you can already see this with the reactions of some poeple here: man why doesnt arma have this and that bla bla...

BIS and BIA are 2 different companie´s working for different customers, and i´m pretty sure that NONE of BIA´s clients want sensetive training material in the hands of some kids or whoever elses.

nice.. now im´m reinstalling VBS and playing some bit, just for shit and jiggles!

OK guys and gals lets not fight smile_o.gif I did not mean to cause a inter-simulator war. Ur all correct, VBS is not ment to be super pretty and thats y its not in my OWN HUMBLE opinion smile_o.gif. I absolutely dont have my head in my ass tounge2.gif and understand that VBS2 is first and foremost a training tool but I never disputed that.

But the discussion was about screenshots of the new units thats all.

With all due respect.

For the money they get for these models you can make all the texture maps in the world on deadline including the "dog-poop" map and the "alien laser track ultraviolet map". SO if anything comes to mind is the optimization issues.

Remember that the money paid to BIA, and what the developer making the vehicle earns per model are very different things entirely (Not to mention the four weeks deadline per vehicle series - numbering upwards of 6 variants - for the UK content)

Quote[/b] ]visual quality of the units on that page is poor

Given more time, and paid more money, the visual quality would have been far greater. Capitalism at its best smile_o.gif

Having gamers comment on VBS is about as productive as having a bus driver comment on the latest Ferrari.

He may rightly remark that it ONLY HAS TWO SEATS. And tight ones to boot!

But he might be somehow missing the point...

Having gamers comment on VBS is about as productive as having a bus driver comment on the latest Ferrari.

No one was critisizing the functionality of the vehicles. But even the bus driver can like or hate the LOOKS of the ferrari. Peole are missing a point, yes VBS is amaizing it can do amaizing things that ArmA cant even dream about, yes its used for training and doesnt have to look great. Please lets stop discussing it and get back to praising it smile_o.gif

No one was critisizing the functionality of the vehicles. But even the bus driver can like or hate the LOOKS of the ferrari. Peole are missing a point, yes VBS is amaizing it can do amaizing things that ArmA cant even dream about, yes its used for training and doesnt have to look great. Please lets stop discussing it and get back to praising it smile_o.gif

Not to re-open this can of worms, but didn't you start the criticizing of VBS2 for not having the visual quality of community-made ArmA addons? >.<

Maybe this thread should never have existed in the first place.

The second picture, is that vehicle on fire (different ... "partial" fire effect) or has it simply parked on a camp fire ?!

Quote[/b] ] not having the visual quality of community-made ArmA addons?

not to speak of that most "community" made addons dont even reach the "supposedly" low VBS2 or even OFP level..

*sarcasm off*

Quote[/b] ] not having the visual quality of community-made ArmA addons?  

not to speak of that most "community" made addons dont even reach the "supposedly" low VBS2 or even OFP level..

*sarcasm off*

I'm already happy people try to make addons, low or high quality.. if someone is happy with what is created its ok.

wink_o.gif

Gnat @ Jan. 10 2009,12:05)]The second picture, is that vehicle on fire (different ... "partial" fire effect) or has it simply parked on a camp fire ?!

The front right wheel is just on top of a camp fire biggrin_o.gif

To be honest Im not impressed with the pictures.

Maybe some videos could change peoples opinions... smile_o.gif

To be honest Im not impressed with the pictures.

Maybe some videos could change peoples opinions... smile_o.gif

In all honesty you are not meant to be impressed those pictures are for demonstrating VBS2 and terrains the customers have acces too aswell as the range of soldiers available. The quality of the Images is not relevent, people who own the simulator will not care what ArmA community thinks about VBS2, becasue at the end of the day we are the ones with it, and we get the full experience and the complete emersion of this amazing sim.

Well there are ppl in this very thread who own VBS2 and seem to care ALOT if the opinion is negative. Who ever shown these pictures obviously has opened them to public opinion. If someone shows me a dog turd and says its made of chocolate and peanuts obviously I will not know for sure till I try it right?

I am apauled that a constructive negative response is not tolerated and defended with indirect excuses (i.e. its not ment to be like that or theres are far more features in VBS than in arma or ppl who play VBS play it for training and not for visuals) which by the way confirm the negative response.   mad_o.gif

Edit: Sorry for the turd comparison. Obviously the author does not diserve that. I was just looking to convey something very contrasting.

Well there are ppl in this very thread who own VBS2 and seem to care ALOT if the opinion is negative. Who ever shown these pictures obviously has opened them to public opinion. If someone shows me a dog turd and says its made of chocolate and peanuts obviously I will not know for sure till I try it right?

I am apauled that a constructive negative response is not tolerated and defended with indirect excuses (i.e. its not ment to be like that or theres are far more features in VBS than in arma or ppl who play VBS play it for training and not for visuals) which by the way confirm the negative response.   mad_o.gif

Edit: Sorry for the turd comparison. Obviously the author does not diserve that. I was just looking to convey something very contrasting.

All people have tried to do is explain to you why the lack of certain shaders does not matter for VBS2.

It's not a PC game for graphics lovers. The military will not care for normal maps. Is it really that hard to understand? You're making a big fuss over something minor that doesn't even concern gamers. VBS2 is not aimed at gamers.

Good shaders are great for ArmA but unnecessary and not worth the extra graphics power required for the military.

Good shaders are great for ArmA but unnecessary and not worth the extra graphics power required for the military.

I want to talk to this civilized and don't want a VBS2 thread closed ....

Agree on the "extra graphics power required"

But was questioning the "unnecessary" still with relations to Realism.

- Glint of the hood of a distant (civilian) car / vehicle / plane

- A windscreen flash on a distant hill

- Obvious painted matalic vehicle as seen hiding in bushes or forest (not so obvious when everything is flat / matte)

I guessing I'm talking about spotting stuff and I'm just saying when everything is flat, its not like real life when certain objects do give themselves away.

Maybe its just "sure, that true, but that will have to wait to VBS3"

Gnat @ Jan. 11 2009,14:12)]- Glint of the hood of a distant (civilian) car / vehicle / plane

- Obvious painted matalic vehicle as seen hiding in bushes or forest (not so obvious when everything is flat / matte)

It's not like ArmA's shaders are that realistic though. Besides, I think military vehicles are not usually as shiny as the ArmA ones.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">To be honest Im not impressed with the pictures.

Maybe some videos could change peoples opinions... :)

you know, when vbs1 was released, people were running around with wet willies drooling over the fact what was possible and how vbs1 looked better compared to ofp and everyone was enraged about that BIS doesnt release stuff from vbs1 for ofp.

its the same with vbs2. theres a ton of things possible in vbs2 that isnt in arma (per se) and people drool(ed) over it over and over again and complain why BIS doesnt implement it in arma..

so you see, vbs is not about looks, but rather about what is possible, eg fully working drones, fully working ac-130, mission rehearsal, etc etc.

Quote[/b] ]- Glint of the hood of a distant (civilian) car / vehicle / plane

I guessing I'm talking about spotting stuff and I'm just saying when everything is flat, its not like real life when certain objects do give themselves away.

its not like people train with it 24/7 and then go straight to war.

some RL training will always be needed.

if you come from that direction you could also argue with mipmapping occluding people in an unrealistic way, or LOD´s or distance fog etc etc etc.

no one said vbs1/2 is ultra realistic in any terms, its a training tool for certain tasks to cut down costs.

eg why spend cash on rounds and gallons of fuel for basic convoy training or helicopter load operations, when you can also do this with VBS? in the end you still need to do some drill in RL, but in the meantime you can master the basic procedure in the simulator.

its exactly the same with flight simulators. you learn when to push which button in what situation. i guess if youd do it wrong in RL you might end up as a pancake on the ground.

And do these simulator look real? geez some of them have worse graphics than acecombat 1, but they do their job.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">It's not like ArmA's shaders are that realistic though. Besides, I think military vehicles are not usually as shiny as the ArmA ones

exactly.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Who ever shown these pictures obviously has opened them to public opinion.

or to give possible customers something to show?

or just for shit and giggles? might be the same thing as its with duke nukem forever (the shit and giggles). do you think itll be released one day? i dont even think theyre working on it at all.... biggrin_o.gif

goodnight.gif