Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

VBS2 1.22 ADF, NZDF and SDF Screenshots

Hey guys,

Let me introduce myself, I use VBS2 in a professional and a "gaming" capacity. I work in a centre that is capable of serving over 100 soldiers in a single scenario at any one time. I also have a very good knowledge of how far we can push our PCs under such load, and being a professional soldier for quite some time understand, even at the lowest level what matters and what doesn't. A lot of you gamers are being highly critical of VBS without having touched it, or been in a position to understand where the military customer really doesn't care about eye candy. Someone posted that military vehicles may be dull and relatively don't need specular maps as much, correct. Is it important that a soldier can see rivets in his land rover from a normal map? not at all.

What is important for us is the After-Action Review, the ability to interop with other simulations and be able to run VBS2 on what are barely mid-range standards by todays specs. Anyone who claims these features aren't vital are missing the mark, especially when they favour specular and normal maps over them.

Jamie.

AAR is also probally my favorite feature as well as the IEDs when playing redcell opfor teams. When your playing the simulation, i dont think you ever get bothered by lack of normal maps or specular maps. There are more terrains than there are missions atm, and the biggest difference between arma and vbs2 is the size of the community for the non mil players.

To understand the full potential of VBS2 you will most proberley have to use it in a professional enviroment, such as Jamie's.

VBS2 is a purely professional product released to the General Public. Its ability's cannot be fully used in my opinion unless used in a professional enviroment. Each product has its purpose and Virtual Battlespace 2's purpose is to train soldier's in various techniques. Although it uses the same (heavily modified) engine as ArmA, its aim and purpose is completely different. I speak from personal experiece as I own VBS2, it is an amazing product, but, to a member of the public (non-mill) its use does not expand farther than a better more complete version of ArmA with alot more realistic content and terrains.

The screenshots look extremely good and the features of VBS2 that are included in the core product massivly outway the fuctionality of ArmA.

Ollie