Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

I might be the only one, but I found this Gamestar preview from January and hadn't seen it before.

I noticed that the civilians and other Ai are still walking in the middle of the streets instead of the sides of the roads. I've seen this cause traffic jams with my convoy missions. I wonder if someone from BI would elaborate if this is going to be improved with the more precise Ai map reference resolution?

Otherwise it's looking awesome, can't wait to see what the new hire(s) will bring in terms of particle effects. :)

Why should they actually walk on the road? I never experienced soldiers using streets...Must be a coincidence.

care to elaborate?

I assume it's reference to things like the M24 instead of the M40 (etc) which probably could be fixed by a modder.

The missing grass in the distance and the fact that it is easier to spot an enemy 150m away from you compared to one lying 50m away from you concerns me most, followed by the typical "standup-turn 90 degrees like a robot - prone - immediately standup again" AI behaviour.

I think previous versions solved this by making the basic ground texture appear above ground around where the tip of the grass blades would have been. This way prone units gets partly concealed under the texture to simulate high grass.

The editor from Gamestar answered in the comments when asked: The grass layer is not included in the version he played.

So I guess it's confirmed that the ArmA2 press preview version was lacking certain features. I'm surprized at how much better that makes me feel about the game. :)

I mean, the gist of the Gamestar review was basically: good graphics, great missions, but the AI and some other features appear unfinished. Assuming the addition of the improved AI and the grass layer, most of the negative points in that review are moot, leaving us with a pretty solid game at release. Awesome! :yay:

The only other negative points I can remember are some problems commanding large armies (lack of audio/visual feedback) and some occasional sound mixing issues. Both of which might even be fixed before release.

I might be the only one, but I found this Gamestar preview from January and hadn't seen it before.

I had'nt seen it before either. Stangely, it looks better than the some of the more recent previews of last week...

Edit : it was probably played on a fine tuned BIS computer in their Czech offices.

Edited by EricM

.Jonny

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderbird84 View Post

Wrong Loadouts/Wrong Marines Gear

care to elaborate?

Thunderbird is right, BIS always mixed and missed/messed US Army and US Marine Corps

first example was Arma 1 :

US Army (ACU) had: AH1Z, M240G instead of Apache, AH64, M240B, proper helmet,

now USMC in Arma2 will have: M24 instead of M40, now Arma1 model of M240 is good, cause infantry version has heat covers - it should be in Arma 1

special forces won't have all those USP and such kind newest weapons,

but as i read - USMC don't have any A10

so once again we have US Marmix (Marines-Army-Mix)

i am not US-expert, but about east side i have better knowledge , it is messed totaly now , as in Arma 1 they were quite realistic (AK74, PKM, RPG7) , now i see mess like: oldest 1972 RPG-18 along with newest and not used AK107, AKS74U with wrong silencer, lack of Kiparis or new pistols, BTR90, T90 instead of BTR70 or 80 and T80

of course BIS should focus on things moders cannot fix, but belive me - fixing wrong machinegun on tank, fixing wrong AK model is not big job - but would close mouths of people like me - who see "military realism" words on DVD-box and expect it inside this box

i am totally confused - how they do VBS, if they show such lack of knowledge about military issues (they are super artists when it comes to graphics)

or VBS is worked by other people ? other BIS ?

Edited by vilas

but as i read - USMC don't have any A10

so once again we have US Marmix (Marines-Army-Mix)

Whilst you are right (the USMC dont "use" the M119 or the MLRS) the A-10 is a USAF asset, not Army OR USMC. I guess its included because its cool, its been there since OFP and they already have the artwork.

i am totally confused - how they do VBS, if they show such lack of knowledge about military issues (they are super artists when it comes to graphics)

or VBS is worked by other people ? other BIS ?

Well it seems to me one company is called BI Australia, and the other is called BI Studio. So yeah, I;d say there were different people working on different things (for the 3545646854354684651684687th time)

I'm fairly new to this game so can you tell me, is it true that campaign missions can only be completed if your entire sqaud survives?

I'm fairly new to this game so can you tell me, is it true that campaign missions can only be completed if your entire sqaud survives?

The campaign includes a recovery/revival mechanic that allows you to keep your comrades alive even when they are downed. I'm not sure how realistic it will be (revival after headshots etc.), but at least it should enhance the playability of the campaign.

From what I understand, your team mates (and of course you yourself) will bleed out if they don't recieve help within a certain time, so you have to help them quickly.

EDIT: To answer your question, I would assume that, yes, if a member of your team actually dies you will need to restart the mission. Might be wrong though.

Yeah, there's a screen somewhere with the debrief screen saying that the death of a Razorx team member is "unacceptable", so yeah, I'd assume so.

I noticed that the civilians and other Ai are still walking in the middle of the streets instead of the sides of the roads. I've seen this cause traffic jams with my convoy missions. I wonder if someone from BI would elaborate if this is going to be improved with the more precise Ai map reference resolution?

Otherwise it's looking awesome, can't wait to see what the new hire(s) will bring in terms of particle effects. :)

Nicely found.

Weird AI thing though: at 5:20 you see the helicopter crash into a town building. I do hope that happened because his vehicle got damaged and not because of some weird AI bug that i've seen more then once in ArmA:p

There you could fire at a helicopter without damaging it, but it would get so distracted it would crash into a tree or a mountainside.

hmm what about the "the campaign gets harder when you dont have russian/chernarus speaking translator" talk? That sounds to me that you can lose him and continue the campagin. Well im sure BIS found a nice solution to it.

"

I'm fairly new to this game so can you tell me, is it true that campaign missions can only be completed if your entire sqaud survives?" <<<

i always hated such kind of missions, but thanx to mission editor i can rework it myself :D

Weird AI thing though: at 5:20 you see the helicopter crash into a town building.

o my goooooood, not again, in this game A1 , air support not exist, AI crushes choper , not agaaain, in A1 fly-system is tragic, total downgrade of OFP, where choper is danger weapon, here - it is suicide weapon, many times crushing down

for me the best in A2 is Chernarus , civilians, models - they look super, BIS are great artists

i wish they were such programists/coders and military experts

hmm what about the "the campaign gets harder when you dont have russian/chernarus speaking translator" talk? That sounds to me that you can lose him and continue the campagin. Well im sure BIS found a nice solution to it.

Well, part of the campaign is about trying to be on good terms with the general populace so they will help you. Maybe it's possible to "recruit" a local who translates for you.

and for everyone that claims on my and other claimers posts:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/143/arma25.jpg

or is it a joke ? they call it ultimate military simultor, so i can expect military simulator, not box with cover "peaches and grapes inside" and cheap apples after opening :(

if such thing is for real, not as joke.... than all my crytics should shut up

if it is called ultimate realistic military simulator, than it should be such like

"

i always hated such kind of missions, but thanx to mission editor i can rework it myself :D

I dont think you really have to, i think that the drag+revive feature is made especially with the campaign in mind so you dont have to restart every time one of your teammembers gets shot. It may not be totally realistic but otherwise it would be unplayable. :p

if it is called ultimate realistic military simulator, than it should be such like

Either that, or you find a dark corner to cry in so i dont have to skip your posts all the time.

Well my person thinks its a February version, so i would say everything is the same as other reviews. A lot is missing as we were told.

I prefer to wait for a more recent information.

I would expect a 6 year old to get sucked in by advertising/marketing hype, but not a "mature adult"...

Do you complain so much to BMW, Opel, Ford and Volkswagon about their "utlimate driving experience" adverts? Or to any other companies who offer "the best <product name here>" ?

I can only assume you dont watch much tv, since its a pretty - no scratch that - a VERY common advertising tag line...

Vilas - "o my goooooood, not again, in this game A1 , air support not exist, AI crushes choper , not agaaain, in A1 fly-system is tragic, total downgrade of OFP, where choper is danger weapon, here - it is suicide weapon, many times crushing down"

YOU are joking? Right? You can't possibly be talking about OFP aircraft that divebomb and crash into everything but their target, or are you meaning the hovercraft.. I mean the Helos.. All of them had terrain folloing radar that you couldn't crash without pinning the stick fully one direction. You know, for someone who can gripe incessantly about a non-functional visual, you are really damn loose when it comes to usable features. Have you even seen the Gamestar vid of the jets in tight level formation carpet bombing a valley? Very well done. I suggest you check it out.

Blue flight: WOW. The adjustment screw.. Hell, even the bottom of the FEET of the bipod look real. HAHA! Sweet! Nice find.

Edited by Scrub

"I would expect a 6 year old to get sucked in by advertising/marketing hype"

there are countries where lies in advertisment can be punished, for example "walking Barbie doll" was forbidden, cause she cannot walk alone, as i remember in Russia law about adv. is very strong and there were protests about such kind of commercial in west too ?

in my country there is a low that obey market advertisment to write about conditions of some issues not shown clearly (so called "small letters" about credits percentage, cost of call etc.) and for example on cigaretes box you have written "kills and causes cancer" on 30% of box, althought i think lies should be treated harder by law

i am sure that in America individual can sue someone if he lies too

"I can only assume you dont watch much tv" < no i don't watch TV at all except 1 channel - Discovery Channel and i always turn off when commercial brake is :) there is no tv set in my room

people raised in East have other attitude to "true" than people growned on marketing-West, maybe thats why we had so much problems in 90's where many fraudant cheated people for money in "private banks" - we growned in other culture when it comes to your "western kind of marketing" and sense of words like "truth, lie", but now many of them are on cementary killed by unknown persons :)

if they call it ultimate military simulator, than i demand:

T80 for Russians, AK74 instead of AK107, NSV on T72, M40 for USMC, working bulletproof vests and etc.

Edited by vilas

What do people think of this? The video looks good, but anyone here know Italian?

Looks really good, people who complained that ArmA felt to sluggish should be happy after viewing this video i think? :)

Article to go with the last link here and Google translated version here.

Quotes from the article:

We tested a beta version of Armed Assault II...[it had] new technologies that manage the audio and physics
On an artificial intelligence have made big steps forward. The enemies now react more promptly to our fire, running away if you feel threatened directly
motion blur and HDR render the most pleasing visual impact and ... cover some uncertainties in the frame rate.
The frame rate is much more constant than the first edition of ARMA, but you need a very powerful PC with dual core CPU for the minimum configuration and quad core for that recommended, at least 512 MB of RAM and a video card that at least supports the shader model 3.0. Ultimately, ARMA II remains very expensive in terms of hardware due to the large maps and the renewed number of polygons, so you must hold at least cpu dual-core or 3.3ghz quad-core 2.5 ghz.
The game is now more fluid, more optimized, technically better, but perfection is still far away. Armed Assault II lends his side is still some criticism, since some elements are still insufficient. However taking into account that we tested a beta version, it was disappointed, for example, the yield of the weapons, unrealistic because they can not give the feeling of power which would be expected.
Edited by SaBrE_UK