Sign in to follow this  
m@ster

Americas Army 3

I don't think I even knew they made a second one.

Heh.  It somehow seems less detailed and less well rendered than ArmA 2's shots.

What a silly answer :/

But yeah it looks good, i cant wait.

Edit: Ive just noticed those screenshots are of an updated "pipeline" map.. cool

Heh.  It somehow seems less detailed and less well rendered than ArmA 2's shots.

Edit: Ive just noticed those screenshots are of an updated "pipeline" map.. cool

How is it silly? I think that those those shots look terrible.

It does look pretty cheap. I don't care though, I just hope they are going to take the next step in urban combat realism.

Regional damage with different consequences from different hits, medics who can patch people up in a semi-realistic fashion, there are so many things they can do.

They probably wont though sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Regional damage with different consequences from different hits
Considering that AA is essentially an Army recruitment tool, I don't think they'd want to show impressionable teenagers a close approximation of a gutshot icon_rolleyes.gif .
Quote[/b] ]Edit: Ive just noticed those screenshots are of an updated "pipeline" map.. cool
Yeah, it looks exactly like Pipeline. It looks much better than the current version. Even if this is mainly a graphical update, I'll always bite for free stuff.

There were a number of things America's Army did well that I wished ArmA would adapt - weapon jams; grenade handling (rolling, cooking); flashbangs; bullet penetration through bodies, javelin CLU, etc.

For a free game, I always found it to be pretty fun.  Hopefully this new version will be as well.  And maybe BIS can take note of the improvements in AA 3 for possible consideration in Arma 2.

How is it silly?  I think that those those shots look terrible.

Well it's a free game. I guess they want it to run on a wide variety of PC's with good FPS and decent graphics.

Crysis may have amazing graphics, but there are so many games that look much worse which I would rather play.

I played AA for a short while before ArmA. It was a decent game but I got bored with it pretty soon. If you play it with a decent bunch of people it can be pretty fun.

I played AA too.  When it first came out its graphics were above average, I think.  I think the engine is starting to show its age (assuming that it's the same engine).

We all have to remember its a free game, its no armed assualt 2 anyways.. so for one thats why it doesnt look as good.

Two, its an fps style game and with it being free they do a damm good job with it, have you seen any free fps games that look as good as this?

I think BFS are going to put UE3 to better use wink_o.gif .

Im not playing a game just because its free...

We all have to remember its a free game, its no armed assualt 2 anyways.. so for one thats why it doesnt look as good.

Two, its an fps style game and with it being free they do a damm good job with it, have you seen any free fps games that look as good as this?

I see what you are saying, but the fact that it is 'free' does not mean it's made with no budget.  It's funded by the US Army.  The Army provides all kinds of goods and services free of charge to all kinds of people.  You would not expect their disaster response teams to be sub par because their services are free to the end user.  Furthermore, it's not free.  It's a socially funded video game development, payed for by the people of the United States of America through taxation.

There were a number of things America's Army did well that I wished ArmA would adapt - weapon jams; grenade handling (rolling, cooking); flashbangs; bullet penetration through bodies, javelin CLU, etc.

For a free game, I always found it to be pretty fun.  Hopefully this new version will be as well.  And maybe BIS can take note of the improvements in AA 3 for possible consideration in Arma 2.

agreed, but as long as engine limit comes into the way its not likely to happen

Well it's a free game. I guess they want it to run on a wide variety of PC's with good FPS and decent graphics.

^ This

ArmA @ release could be run smoothly on nothing but the most high-end gaming rigs, unless you turned the gfx setting all the way to "OMFG this game looks hideous". That's gotta limit your number of potential sales (or brainwashing candidates).

lol oki then what i was ment to say from the start is that was a silly question as it doesnt look like arma 2 becuase its not made to look like arma 2 as its a differnt game as you know. tounge2.gif

lol oki then what i was ment to say from the start is that was a silly question as it doesnt look like arma 2 becuase its not made to look like arma 2 as its a differnt game as you know.  tounge2.gif

The missing premise there is that since the game is much smaller in scale (I assume), they have a lot more resources to put into rendering each individual object. Each object can be more detailed, and the shaders, renderers, and post processing can all be more complex because they aren't pushing so many polygons just by rendering some 10km visibility in an open world. I was surprised to see a smaller scale game that was less detailed than such a large scale game, is what I was getting at.

Not only would I be very suprised if that was actually the case, I would be incredulous.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Rest assured the details on any AA game will noticeably surpass those found in any BIS title for all those same obvious reasons you stated.

It set the standards for most games today. It is by far one of the best games ever made. Free or not. Still has like 7 million players playing world wide. It falls into a catagory all its own like OFP,GR, RVS,COD4 (yes I said COD4) I bought Farcry2 and I love it but you go online and there are 5 servers. You login to amerca's army .... hundreds and I think the new engine will bring new things as well. I for 1 am looking forward to it.

^ This

ArmA @ release could be run smoothly on nothing but the most high-end gaming rigs, unless you turned the gfx setting all the way to "OMFG this game looks hideous". That's gotta limit your number of potential sales (or brainwashing candidates).

lmao Amen brother I just bought a new card and installed ArmA again to test it... uninstalled it just as fast. Long live OFP

I played AA too.  When it first came out its graphics were above average, I think.  I think the engine is starting to show its age (assuming that it's the same engine).

The graphics were years ahead of it's time. AA1 uses the UE 2 engine, AA2 uses the UE 2.5 engine and AA 3 uses a completely new UE 3.0 engine.

I have to disagree strongly.  This was good for 2002 but not mind blowing:

americas-army.jpg

That is a really old alpha/beta pic. It didn't look like that.

These show better how it looked at it's best on the old 2.0 engine:

tower3.jpg

range5.jpg

1.0 really did look like that. And 2.0 came out in 2003. Splinter Cell, Raven Shield, and Max Payne 2 also came out in 2003, making the graphics in this version of AA look fairly weak also.