Sign in to follow this  
SHWiiNG

Left4Dead: Demo out now :for prepurchases only ;)

So i have recently got the demo of Left 4 dead.

And what can i say

Bloody addictive stuff! I mean who doesnt like mowing down hordes of zombies. Really felt like i was in Dawn of the Dead biggrin_o.gif

What are your experiences?

This is a very nice game.

I really liked the good pathfinding of teammates and zombies they even jump out of windows to ambush you. So far I only played the singleplayer part of game which was a bit easy for me but I hope multiplayer will bring some extra challenge. Perhaps i;m going to buy this but there some other games I need to buy first (dead space, fallout3)  yay.gif

So many games, so little time. Granted, the choice got a bit easier when Saints row 2 and GTA4 got delayed to 2009.

... and GTA4 got delayed to 2009.

No, December 3rd 2008 for Europe smile_o.gif

At least New Zealand stores still say that.

If you're right then I'm not gonna be happy! crazy_o.gif

Yeah i think the devs of L4D did a great job at revamping the Source engine (And this is ust the demo) I mean, it feels great, and the animations on the zombies is superb.

Pushing one back and shooting it in the stomach or shoulder never looked so good.

But Multiplayer on Expert is quite a challenge, the AI director sometimes gets bored of you and just sends in everything it can.

But yeah had it for 3 days, and its brilliant !

Quote[/b] ]Is it actually scary

It is scary and a pretty good Zombie movie to play in - but only if you are not a 'traditionalist' (you know the slow-motion-dumb-as-hell-Romero-Zombies). Left4Dead belongs to the 'fast runners' Zombie genre and because of this the game is able to actually put some real pressure on the players so you have to work together or they will just overrun you. The game wouldn't work with the slow-motion Zombies. Great game and lots of potential for DLC.

Grim

Didn´t like the demo (which can be found on torrent btw), felt like Ravenshield engine with zombies. Really low end stuff compared to nowadays games. Scary? No. FEAR had me jump off the chair from time to time, but L4D gets nowhere near it. And dont even get me started on the AI ....

Still hoping for Dead Island being released on PC confused_o.gif

Is it actually scary or is is Counter Strike with zombies?

In this game you need to get to a saferoom and not rescue hostages or kill terrorist.

Quote[/b] ]Didn´t like the demo (which can be found on torrent btw), felt like Ravenshield engine with zombies. Really low end stuff compared to nowadays games. Scary? No. FEAR had me jump off the chair from time to time, but L4D gets nowhere near it. And dont even get me started on the AI ....

Doesn't look low end to me, and doesn't need a strong pc to play also. Looks same as most source engine games only it uses OB engine so there are some nice new effects and feats.

Scary it is not (Condemned was quite nice, Afraid of Monsters too for PC) since you know what is coming to you, but It can get good with you are overrun with zombies and really need to rely on your teammates. Or when they come to you sprinting.

AI was pretty good to me, didn't get stuck, followed you, picked up healthkits, heals player, helps player. Zombies has good pathfinding and that is the only thing It needs to have biggrin_o.gif.

Damn too many games to play with so little time.

I dont think left 4 dead is meant to make you feel scared, just make you feel tense and nervous because you never know if a horde is coming or not..

Yeah playing online, is really tense..

Just bloody good fun in my opinion.

I also think that it feels quite fresh, nice Dynamic Lighting, Good decals, Textures, physics, Great game!

I thought he meant a feeling of tension and being nervous with 'scary' since no game or movie can ever do more (at least to me).

And if you play on the expert level this tension increases a lot since the AI Director can swarm you with hundreds of zombies. Since the AI Director is handling the whole game (the zombies, the team AI, the sound, the weather etc.) and all of this stuff is actually changing everytime you play it it does a great job. No problems here, works fine.

Graphics are good, textures are rather crisp and I have seen no pop ups and slow downs so far.

Here's a video from the demo:

15 minutes gamplay from Demo

Good game  smile_o.gif

Grim

So many games, so little time.

That, my friend, is exactly the problem. The best ones are usually the ones being highly time consuming (and not necessarily the other way around).

Can i ask the mods to change the title, to

LEft4Dead Demo Out now

Thanks

Demo is now available for all.

Aye, can download on Steam but only for 6 more days until I assume you have to buy it!

I really like this game so far but it has certain issues of course.

It's biggest let down is the idiots who refuse to work as a team and wonder round aimlessly like the morons they are. If it hadn't been for an AI in my team I would have died by the smoker.

Like someone mentioned earlier; get some mates playing with you and it will be 100 times better.

For those who want to know if it's scary:

I have only played a couple games so far but it's not that scary although you do crap yourself at certain moments (like if idiot team mate sets off car alarm and a million zombies start running towards you). Most of the time you are just weary and looking over your shoulder in case one sneaks up on you.

Overall I find it to be a pretty damn good game.

Loving the game!

Found out about the game a few weeks before the release of the demo and I must say all my expectations are still intact... Got to love the Tankers and the Witches hehe nener.gif

AI is very good sending hordes of zombies in the most unexpected times, and friendly AI has good path finding and aim.

I hate smokers, they always grab me from the ceilings mad_o.gif.

After the exams are gone I will have the ultimate blast hehe, all my friends loved the game, so I will be able to test the MP part of the game.

I'm wondering if there'll really be enough content for a full-prize game? In the demo it says there'll be "10 more levels" but when I've finished the two (or one?) demo levels the third time I thought they're passing by in no time and how long could it be interesting to redo the main story line over and over again?

It reminds me of SWAT 4 SP/COOP with all the random and good AI and the advertised PvP mode but there's a little bit more tactic involved in SWAT. Though without that L4D encourages a more fast paced and easier teamwork experience.

heh yeah, and this normally only happens when one player doesnt listen to you and goes and melee's her.

Bad decision.

This was pretty cool.

Im not sure if Ill buy it though. I liked the zombie designs and the sounds were definately unsettling. It has good variation in zombie types. Maybe theres more types in the full game. The zombies seem straight out of Dod remake or 28 days later with their fast speed. The slow lumbering zombies of Romeros movies would have been a better approach for me. I guess its just a gameplay issue and the shamblers would be too easy (although I think thats BS)

It seemed like too much was going on at times. Just alot of frantic shooting and very hard to differentiate between friend and foe. I found it not to hard to lay down a line of fire that the zombies would run into and get mowed down. Other times it seemed there were groups of them showing up behind me. The tank zombie hit me once and I went flying, so he seemed like the toughest enemy. The pukers were a pain but a nice idea for a special creature. If it didnt have the graphical stuff showing you where your teamates where through walls it might be unplayable with all thats going on. The witch was cool, the girl bot startled her and when I saw it, it was on top of her and messing her up. All three of us concentrated our fire and she went down pretty quick.

I didnt see any eating (like in Res Evil), or any mention of infection systems which would be a nice element. It was fun to play at night but I had to turn the sound down a bit because it was getting to me. I would be interested to try the zombie commander mode.

This is a more than decent foray into a zombie shooter for Valve. Im just not sure its my cup of tea.

Side Note: When I got the AR I was able to take off zombie heads from range, I have D.Murphy's Quarantine mission to thank for that skill!