Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

Looooook its coming for the PS3 also. 505 Games! Not.

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/958/958403.html

Don't trust IGN. They shot gun everything they post.

No doubt though, its not coming for the PS3. The PS3 is too hard to port to.

EDITED: Changed line "The PS3 is too hard to port to."

Edited by SGT_2AD

Looooook its coming for the PS3 also. 505 Games! Not.

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/958/958403.html

Don't trust IGN. They shot gun everything they post.

No doubt though, its not coming for the PS3. Too hard for BI to port to the PS3.

Ahhh, what a IGN BS ... anyway, good to know, so i don't get my hopes up. Thx!

With all the excitement generated by Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising I'm more interested in playing a console version by the true developers of this game. I loved OF:CWC on the PC back in the day when I didn't mind having to upgrade regularly but now I've become the lazy gamer that prefers to drop in a disc, press start and know that it will work without reading a list of specs.

I'm just worried about the ambiguity of information regarding an Xbox 360 release.

It is a logical platform to release it on, with the opportunity to develop the control scheme to be controller compatible on both the PC and the console and the experience BI have already had with the original Xbox release of OF:Elite.

This is a genre that obviously works on PC and there is room for development on console version but they proved it can work. Are they maybe waiting to see sales figures for OF: DR to ensure demand before committing resources to porting to next gen?

This may have helped you but I can tell you there's pretty solid evidence they are developing for the 360. How long before or after the PC version it will be released, I don't know. Also I cannot account for development decisions made since I saw the evidence. I won't bother digging it up because anyone here can second me.

Hi all

TBD (To Be Decided)

And so it will remain until it (if it exists) goes to GOLD.

Apparently that is the way it is with console games.

Kind Regards walker

That depends if the developer decides to make the game in parallel or series. I think BI is doing series. Not all developers make the PC first then the console, for the sake of it being a console game. Some have the ability to do parallel, and release for all 3 platforms.

As for which console, I would love to see it come to the PS3, with a built-in mission editor. Gut tells me, that is not going to happen with the hardware being to so close together on the box and pc. The BE CELL processor is a 7 core beast, that is a different architecture and does not port as easy as the xbox.

I am READY though with a new PC! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

I'll have to settle with OFP2 on the PS3 minus the mission editor. :mad:

Lets try not to turn this into another BS flamewar about consoles vs PC, the difference is simple.

Consoles are fully working out of the box game systems that run their games at max graphics with no to ever so little lag, don't require patches and experience the problems computers do.

Computers can do more yes (not talking about just games) but they can also run into bigger complications and far more serious problems, not to mention you require more then one object to run a game and it can be more costly. Each one has their strong and weak points.

That said, thus far I'm afraid there hasn't been any information given about the player limit on 360 server.

I don't have a xbox 360 so I don't quite understand how they operate but if I had to guess it would be the same as how ArmaI will work in that "The max count will be as many as the server can handle", taking into account the servers bandwidth and connection speed.

Or it may be more like OFP:E pending on how similar the xbox 360 is with its earlier cousin. I did a search for other 360 topics and none of them have any information about it either.

We need more people like you around :)

I, for one, would like to see a port to the Wii. It would certainly make for an interesting experience. :whistle:

Edited by echo1

I hope that there'll be console support

I would like it to come out on PS3 as well as Xbox. The fanbase is there, BIS could profit from a Sony release as well as Microsoft.

Perhaps a PS3 version was not mentioned in that video simply because that person inquired about the X360 only?

SGT 2AD, that is an unfair assumption...yes it is a small Czech studio, but its the year 2009. It should not be too hard. BI created a game that is now used worldwide to train military forces, they can't port a game to PS3?

Also, Xbox live service is not provided readily in the Czech Republic. Nor anywhere else in Eastern Europe in fact, even Russia does not receive service readily. This is a game that is played throughout a large portion of Eastern Europe (take a look at ArmA's server list, look at all the Russian servers).

A large portion of PS3 owners I have met on PSN, have been Russian, so this game could fare very well on PS3.

Perhaps a PS3 version was not mentioned in that video simply because that person inquired about the X360 only?

SGT 2AD, that is an unfair assumption...yes it is a small Czech studio, but its the year 2009. It should not be too hard. BI created a game that is now used worldwide to train military forces, they can't port a game to PS3?

Also, Xbox live service is not provided readily in the Czech Republic. Nor anywhere else in Eastern Europe in fact, even Russia does not receive service readily. This is a game that is played throughout a large portion of Eastern Europe (take a look at ArmA's server list, look at all the Russian servers).

A large portion of PS3 owners I have met on PSN, have been Russian, so this game could fare very well on PS3.

AN-225, You are right, and I am sorry about that assumption. I KNOW ArmA II would do VERY well on PS3, no doubt it. It is my desire that they release it for the PS3. I don't have an xbox360 anymore. RROD. I am sure BI could port to PS3. But given the history of ports on the PS3 by some the major studios like EA and Ubisoft, PS3 is difficult at best to port to. Time is not on their side, with games like Dragon Rising coming out soon, and another one called "Massive Action Game" by long time PS3 dev Zipper, who made the socom series. 256 player online FPS game. A lot of console users have short attention spans for games, and move on very quickly to the next best thing.

They (BI) would do best to start preparing ArmA III for PS3, as it has a 10 year life cycle.

NOTE: I changed the original post.

Edited by SGT_2AD

It is certainly good to see other PS3 users on this forum, all eagerly awaiting ArmA II.

I think...MAG is no problem whatsoever. It simply does not pose any threat. I guess, you can say that MAG, right now, is at the stage ArmA II was at two years ago. It is nothing more than a tech demo right now, so give it a year or two til release.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising may pose a substantial threat. However, as it stands currently, the mission editor has been cut from it. If BIS were to release ArmA II on PS3, they could make a killing by usurping the market from OFP: DR. ArmA II will at least have a rudimentary mission editor.

I also think, that if BI were not considering a PS3 version then - the cut of the ME from DR has certainly piqued their interests.

Note: I understand the difficulty of porting video games to PS3. But it seems to me now, that the conditions are right for ArmA II to debut on the Sony console. Even with a rudimentary editor, BIS would be one step ahead of CM.

On further research of MAG, it seems it is slated for Fall 2009. Considering the lack of info on it so far, this might indicate a delayed release. DR was scheduled to be released in 2008. MAG is also set 20 years in the future. It may draw a completely different market in, so I would not classify it as a threat to ArmA II.

Edited by An-225

MR. Maxqubit

I know, I gave you the link lol http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/958/958402.html but I was talking about your statement of a A bizarre find and your Quote: EXCLUSIVELY ON XBOX 360 it never said that in the link that's what I was asking you mate.

AN-225 and STG 2AD first thing I feel you pain, a few weeks ago we the XBOX community still had no real proof the game was still being made or worked on for us. I Hope you guys get some information soon.

AN-225 your Quote: That is an unfair assumption...yes it is a small Czech studio, but its the year 2009. It should not be too hard. BI created a game that is now used worldwide to train military forces, they can't port a game to PS3?

Just to let you know the part of BOHEMIA that develops the military products like VBS and VBS2 is a different part of BOHEMIA they do share and help eachother a little but they are not the same.

The BOHEMIA that makes ARMA1/ARMA2 stated that ARMA2 will be the last ARMA game for a while because they are making a new game right now and will focus on that game when ARMA2 is done. Bohemia Interactive Studio and Black Element Software announce a new multi-platform title called CARRIER COMMAND and this game looks sick!!! http://www.carriercommand.com/

(direct link)

I hope you guys get some information good or bad so the PS3 community can grow or move on to a different game, not knowing sucks.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Maxqubit, read the same page for PS3. Seriously. "Exclusively for PS3."

AVIBIRD, I know that BIA created VBS. But I'm saying, that it was BIS, who provided the basis. It was BIS who first delved into this super-realistic genre. I really don't think that BIS will let the hard-to-port-to-PS3 issue stop them, especially not if they know about how successful it may turn out to be.

Maxqubit lol I see it now, when I looked at the link from the 505 site for the first time and put the link and information on this forum It was not on my screen about the "Exclusively on the xbox 360 or I just missed it how sad is that.

An-225 I hope you are right and yes it would be successful on the PS3. It's not that console players don't what this type of gameplay they don't no about it.

Maxqubit, read the same page for PS3. Seriously. "Exclusively for PS3."

AVIBIRD, I know that BIA created VBS. But I'm saying, that it was BIS, who provided the basis. It was BIS who first delved into this super-realistic genre. I really don't think that BIS will let the hard-to-port-to-PS3 issue stop them, especially not if they know about how successful it may turn out to be.

Hmmm SGT 2AD allready pointed that out. Imho because of the 'exclusive on PS3' sh*t i don't think the IGN info is credible anymore.

BIS was thinking of 1 console (360) not multiple consoleSSSSS

Don't get me wrong, even though i don't have a PS3 (yet) i certainly would like to see Arma2 on PS3 as well. I'm just saying i don't belive the IGN info anymore.

Merging into the appropriate thread.

It's a WIN-WIN for everyone if they brought it to all 3 platforms.

Here is something for BI to consider, and I am sure they have....

If they bring a console version with mission editor built in, they stand a really good chance to pick up a substantial amount of market share, being all things equal with the competition. I feel the 360 version is going to do very well vs DR. due to that editor.

For example, DR vs. ArmA II w/mission editor, on a PS3 platform for my clan, I would have to support ArmA II one hundred percent, and concentrate all clan activity on it. Being able to create those COOP missions outside of normal play, would just be great. It would extend our clan play so much more. Right now it's ArmA II of the PC, and DR on the PS3. Which I am not happy about the lack of an editor from a clan owner point of view.