Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

PC Gamer U.S.A. STILL Hating OFP1

Back in the day, PC Gamer USA hated on OFP:CWC while lauding heaps of praise on the garbage that was Ghost Recon 1 (can you say, "invisible walls"?), this because they had a long-standing relationship with Red Storm Enterainment since Rainbow Six 1 on the PC.

Well, I recently read the article in PC Gamer USA for OFP2, and they seemed to have changed their tune. Gone were the snipings of Li C. Kuo! But as I read on, their agenda became clear. They refer to "the competition", which, of course, is a reference to B.I.'s efforts in ArmA2.

They even go so far as to assert that OFP1 didn't have mortars and grenades.

OFP1 had hand-grenades, 40mm launched grenades, rifle grenades (certainly the equivalent of a mortar in damage, if not range), and rocket-propelled grenades.

I don't know if they want me linking to a scanned article, here, but even the very first public demo of Cold War Crisis had hand grenades and 40mm grenades (and I'm guessing with hex-editing RPG's and rifle grenades were possible).

PC Gamer USA isn't worthy of being my toilet paper.

(Note that PC Gamer UK praised OFP1.)

PC gamer in US/Canada seems to high rate high hype games anything else really gets small sections and less praise.

But most times they just seem to be rehashing articles over and over lately. I remeber in 1998 and 1999 when they're mags were dependable and has lots of content and did not seem to be as wrongly written like these days.

I remeber them saying in one of my PC Gamer mags that arma was a let down because it was too realistic..... crazy_o.gif i remeber in the older days when games were praised for that thing....

PCG has turned into a rag, staffed and read by immature mouthbreathing fad-monkeys.

End of story.

CM probably advertised their game in the magazine, you wouldn't wanna write anything against your customer. (Fox news and Monsanto, NBC and GE anyone?)

I dont read those magazines at all.

I just download the game and play it for about 2 days to figure out whetever it is worth buying and then I buy it.

Its not legal but fair in my eyes. Demos are never complete enough to give a clear view on the game, trailers are fake as hell and I really dont trust 1 guy to review a game for me that got that game for free next to other gadgets and sponsoring smile_o.gif or in this case got free stuff from a rivalling game at that time.

So basicly I only pay when I want to show my support.

And well flashpoint even got 3 times my support smile_o.gif

( 1 x all versions, 1 time goty and 1 time goty as reserve )

Haha,me and my friends still enjoy playing the multilayer demo. In my opinion that says quite a lot about a game when it's almost ten years old. I've found that gaming magazines just love to bash any game that they can't beat in ten minutes,by lobbing grenades like they're providing air support for an aerial assault on Omaha beach.

Magazines like PC gamer USA or Gamespot.com aim to casual players who likes more "light" games. I guess most of american players like games with instant entertaining, not simulations like OFP or Arma.

If you look inside OFP and Arma communitys, probably you'll find more players, addon makers, mission editors etc. from Europe. Then european magazines towards to that kind of public.

I remember huge diferences between OFP reviews, even Gamespot called OFP a Shooter. The same for Arma.

Another thing is the level of sales. Look what happens with military flight simulations last 10 years and you'll understand what I´m talking about.

Haha,sadly. I think OverCharger is right for the most part. Americans just love instant gratification(PS:I'm American so don't go all "RACIST!" on me)

Well I think that OFP1 was so popular and well done becaouse BIS didn't make it for money but they made it for joy, if you look at ArmA for example that feeling is not there anymore becaouse it was made quickly to finance the development of ArmA 2.

As for PC Gamer USA, American, well all comapnies always think about money and buisness and they make up lies to help them. Anyone who has played OFP can see that PC Gamer is writing compleate bull**it about the game but now that they've seen how popular OFP was they changed their mind about OFP2 becaouse they can see that there is a big profit to be made there.

But still there is no point in reading PC Gamer magazines, just download the demo of the game, play with it for a few days and then get the full version if you like it. :)

Sort of odd in many ways ...... it was software that eventually became a tool that officially trains the american military ..... I'm sure if OFP/ArmA/VBS etc was "made in USA" it would be continuely hailed as greatest game ever ...... ;)

Sorry, cynical, but hey I work for 1 of the worlds largest companies, and its american. I know first hand how it all works.

.... but hey, no shame in over-enthusiastic patriotic views, or the exact opposite in this case hehehe

Too bad, OFP is a Czech game and I'm proud of it :P And becaouse BIS is generous enough to let us mod the game how we want and even gives us the tools makes it even better :)

Hello Folks,

I never bought the ArmA, but my buddy did.

We just loaded OFP back onto our systems.

In our book OFP, was, and still is the Best.

He uses Vista, and I use Debian 5 GNU/Linux.

And we're both from the US.

I am interest in your reference to this posting, so please post it.

Thank You,

Mauser,

somewhere on the east coast of Malden.

:D

Gnat;1282006']Sort of odd in many ways ...... it was software that eventually became a tool that officially trains the american military ..... I'm sure if OFP/ArmA/VBS etc was "made in USA" it would be continuely hailed as greatest game ever ...... ;)

Sorry' date=' cynical, but hey I work for 1 of the worlds largest companies, and its american. I know first hand how it all works.

.... but hey, no shame in over-enthusiastic patriotic views, or the exact opposite in this case hehehe[/quote']

You fry hamburgers for McDonalds?

Sorry couldnt resist:D

Hahahaha ..... no, but nice try.

This company used to run neck & neck with Microsoft for $ value, but does every thing from trains and medical scanners to power stations.

USA market is aiming at 16-year old casual gangstas not the mature gamer. PC Gamer US just knows, that writing about new Batman game will bring more money, than showing up some decent games, that push electronic entertainment forward.

I work at a gaming studio of about 100 people. When ArmA came out, nobody really cared there. But I showed the ArmA2 videos at our Show and Tell the other day, and a large number of us are now eagerly awaiting for our copies of ArmA2 to show up!

Also, google trends offers an interesting picture.

I'm not sure where the hate is coming from, but the reviewer in PCGamer seemed to understand Arma 2's appeal.

Quote from the article: "If you're prepared to give it the time and patience it demands, you won't find a better war game." Also, "If ArmA2 hooks you in, you've just found a war game capable of providing infinite entertainment, and that's astonishing."

Bottom line: "A brilliantly in-depth and vast war simulator that rewards your patience. But buyer beware: this game has AI issues. 83/100"

Sure, there are some games that get strangely high reviews (like Farcry 2 on PC Gamer vs anywhere else) but, at least in this case, they've written a fairly balanced, straight-forward review.

Lol lil late here but also not to mention GOTY vs of OFP I'm American an absolutly loved OFP IMo it blew the others out of the water at the time an IMO was 10 yrs ahead of anybody else. They brag about no nades..well show me a game at that time period that had functional vehicles in game, only 1 that i knew of was BF1942 series. Yes I'm a fan an always will be.

Maybe it´s was that with OFP there comes a lot of tools, so the gamer dont really need a other game, as he could mod this to what he want.

Ofqourse this piss of the game buissines as they wanted to sell one mission at the time other than the whole package at once.

CTF is one game

CTI is another game ond so on

And here you have everything in 3 CD discs, and you could do youre own mission´s when the others was finnished or just simulate different cenarios.

BIS sold the control of the game to those who buy it, when other game makers want to keep the control to them selves.

Like a cow, BIS eate the meat of theire cow and that was yummy.

The others will keep milking theire cow till it´s dead of high age and never get any taste of real meat.

Now i hope ArmA 2 will broke theire bone one more time.

Edited by aaman

How dare you bump a thread this old with nothing interesting to add ;)