Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st Normandy mod -WW2

It's got wings on it now. I'm tired, gotta go to bed. I usually don't make models on the weekend, but I was bored watching the Olympics.

First, great work thumbs-up.gif

Second: Because I favor WWII tank battles in Red Orchestra, do you plan to modify the shell penetration on low angle impacts?

I noticed this defection effect on some tracers in Ama, but I am unable to locate a section / defintion that is responsible for this effect. Some sources told me that the panther was feared because nearly every shell was deflected because of his armor plates arrangement.

First, great work  thumbs-up.gif

Second: Because I favor WWII tank battles in Red Orchestra, do you plan to modify the shell penetration on low angle impacts?

I noticed this defection effect on some tracers in Ama, but I am unable to locate a section / defintion that is responsible for this effect. Some sources told me that the panther was feared because nearly every shell was deflected because of his armor plates arrangement.

A squaddy of mine suggested we slow down the tank rounds, add tracers to see their effects. As you know in RO you can see them and they make a huge "clang" sound when they express a deflection hit.

It's a thought that has crossed my mind. So it's something we will look at.

First, great work thumbs-up.gif

A squaddy of mine suggested we slow down the tank rounds, add tracers to see their effects. As you know in RO you can see them and they make a huge "clang" sound when they express a deflection hit.

It's a thought that has crossed my mind. So it's something we will look at.

Very good smile_o.gif

I think I noticed such a request for muzzleVelocity modification somewhere here in the forum. Now I know, why biggrin_o.gif

Keep up your good work inlove.gif

mike

@MehMan: Tanks for the info. I have not noticed this ammo option, yet wink_o.gif

Worked on the ju52 for a couple more hours. I think I will have it painted and flying by late tomorrow. We shall see.

ju522.jpg

I know that an OFP addon is rather unusable in ArmA, but some WWII addons exist for OFP (e.g. the Ju-52)

Before running into trobles that were already solved, it might be a good idea to contact the OFP-developers (when they are still active) and request for a MLOD.

Most of the OFP addons also include scipts and good sound samples, which might get reused with the developers permission.

I do talk to some of them. You're right about issues porting OFP vehicles into ArmA. On the flip side, I enjoy creating my own.

I have already ported the following aircraft to arma from opf for personal use in the past:

P51, Spitfire, Me109, GO 229, Ju52, P38, LA5n,Ki 043, Pe2 Russian Bomber, IL-2 - Sturmovik, Stuka

WWII Aircraft

I converted a whole heap of them before it was pointed out I should obtain persmissions for use on a private server (a group of the users on the server etc). so I stopped converting them and haven't got round to getting permissions as I'm working on jet conversions for a mod at the moment.

If your interested I can give the full details of these addons etc.

Southy

I'd be interested in saving some time, so if you know who you can obtain permissions from for these vehicles, then let me know here or PM me with the details.

Making them on my own is one thing, having them already to go is another tounge2.gif

Heh! thanks! We will see what it looks like after I paint it LOL.

I'd be interested in saving some time, so if you know who you can obtain permissions from for these vehicles, then let me know here or PM me with the details.  

Making them on my own is one thing, having them already to go is another  tounge2.gif

Will PM you tonight mate.

Southy

Ok here are some rough screenies of the ugly beast (ju52) flying around. I was testing to see if AI could fly/land it without wrecking it, crew positions, whether they can eject safely from it without dying, etc, etc...

ju523.jpg

ju524.jpg

IT's ugly arlight!  * disclaimer...far from done!

ju525.jpg

ju526.jpg

I was messing around with a rear facing gun:

ju527.jpg

Wow! these are really awsome. By the way I just looked and saw that 23,592 km spans EUROPE. Geeze thats huge.

That would mean some epic cti lol. notworthy.gif

Yeah it would be epic LOL.

tounge2.gif

I was doing some testing sitting in the back of the above ju52 circling around the airfield at Cherbourg, several troops onboard, also several on ground at the AF itself. There was a sweep of Hurricanes enroute from Falaise. I wanted to see their reaction to the ju52. I wanted to know if the hurricanes would engage the ju. The map as you mention is huge, it took over 15 minutes for the fighters to arrive in the area from Falaise. The hurricanes engaged the ju52 while the ground forces engaged the hurris. It wasn't very long until a hurricane came on our six o'clock and lit us up! The ju52 was heavily damaged after 2-3 runs. I had to bail out to watch the results from the ground. I landed several hundred meters away from the AF I thought I was in the clear being away from the fight. A hurricane decided it needed to target and engage me. LOL, game over.

I must say it was a blast if you don't mind the realistic aspect of element of distance and surprise. I didn't know when the Hurricanes would show up or what directions they came from. It was almost like being on defense waiting for the real battle to occur.

Looking good!

I wouldn't mind the quality of the objects as long as the gameplay is good. And as you have such an incredibly large map, I imagine battles would be quite satisfying. It really does get boring playing on the small maps having to revisit the same locations over and over. The real magic is in visiting and fighting over a new and foreign area. And that's pretty much guaranteed here.

Good work smile_o.gif

The goal isn't beauty or eye-candy. But there are some people coming forward wanting to help that could bring some of that to this. The models I'm building are great for FPS and for large maps like this. I guess you could say "Low-poly, low budget, High fun!" is what they are.

I'm beginning work on a C47 transport tonight.

Here's a C47 after a couple hours

c471.jpg

Are you sure that are good on preformance? Did you check the ArmA.RPT file?

You mean there are no errors in the arma.rpt? Yeah that's the case - there are no errors.

If you are talking about performance in the respects to disk space and poly's used, if I went high detail, high texture, your looking at placing several hundred moving objects ingame on the screen at the same time and in addition to the map your looking at some FPS problems. But with the low poly and texture budget I'm using that shouldn't be a problem.

It's one thing to hop on a plane and count the rivets and see shading on them. That's great for those small map, small engagement games with low object counts. It's another to have a huge map with high object count. There's a delicate balance going on there. If I wanted to do a high detailed model then I would and could take the time to do that, but you're missing the point then. The goal is to get the game running and to provide some entertainment in the short term.

Some people work on one model for months. I'm working on them for a couple days at a time. And like I said from the start, I'm not going to get very detailed at all with these models.

Here's what you get...a plane to fly, BS with your friends while you travel from place to place followed by moments of shear terror as someone in a 109 begins a straffing run on your C47. yay.gif

c472.jpg