Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st Normandy mod -WW2

The equipment we put out in these phases may not be historically correct for that period or theater. Part of the aspect of Arma is gameplay. We are putting these models out for that reason. Plus there are some favorite vehicles from ww2 that I like.

But we do need help with the history if you're willing to offer. Thanks!

Yep totaly see where your coming from in-terms of accessibility to game play, thats the most important bit!

Yes for sure if any help is needed, send me a PM on here or xfire or TS whatever is easiest for you

Regards Jeza

Anything available for download yet?  smile_o.gif

Not at this time. I have a short list of things to take care of first. Then the first phase will be available.

The map is so huge that it worries me a bit that the map detail is quite low then - hills looking pyramids etc. So are you making/have made smaller maps with better detail - e.g. Normandy only, the invasion beaches, Caen surroundings, etc?

It is great to hear you are expanding to other war theatres too, but I hope you make one properly at the time before moving on.

The map is so huge that it worries me a bit that the map detail is quite low then - hills looking pyramids etc. So are you making/have made smaller maps with better detail - e.g. Normandy only, the invasion beaches, Caen surroundings, etc?

It is great to hear you are expanding to other war theatres too, but I hope you make one properly at the time before moving on.

If you read previous to me posting the map. The gentleman asked about what were the specs for this map in visitor. This map uses a 75m terrain grid. That means that each vertice is adjusted on that level. For example - To make a road appear flat going up a grade, that grade would have to be 75 meters wide. Small ditches are not possible on the terrain itself. Obviously small ditches would have to be 75 meters wide and therefor wouldn't be considered small.

So in answer to your worries. This is not the map or mod for people that are worried about the appearance of terrain or vehicles. If we decided on a smaller map or sink months into a vehicle, then I would have a different argument. An argument that WWII fans wouldn't like...like no release of a mod, just another dust collector.

The function of this map fits a large scale theater that gives players a chance to react with the factor of time. It makes use of vast open spaces that existed in real life in this arena for tank battles, naval engagements, dogfights(furballs) or bombing runs. It separates towns with large distances so people have a chance to build defenses or plan offenses. It's big enough to suit it's real life stories from WWII within reasonable means.

The map also as previously state is not the end-all-be-all of the final version of the map. The idea and importance around a beta release is of course improvements. Obviously as mentioned before, more towns will be added and ideas and suggestions accounted for. I would also like to add, I'm not personally satisfied at the moment with some of the features of the map. The map had to be adjusted for factors that don't exist in Arma like rivers or lakes.

So there it is. Like it, lump it and make your suggestions after the beta. And I will be more then happy to address them. Of course I keep a huge list of suggestions at hand I have already received from the fine folks that were involved with the multiplayer testing previous to this conversation.

No, no. The map is great. It must be superb for example in aerial fights or larger 'CTI' type games. That big map certainly gives new possibilties. I was just thinking if you have other maps too, more suitable for a smaller skirmish. E.g a squad size battle for a village is bit funny to have on such a big map. In that case all those map squares could be used for more terrain detail on a 20x20km map for example.

What I have looked a bit on map making it is very time consuming job. So having a map that big is an achievement alone.  thumbs-up.gif

Maps take a while to make. The Normandy map I created took 2 months through trial and error. People are more then welcome to contribute other smaller maps to use with the equipment.

Just going down that little list I have of things keeping the beta from being released. The flak38 is now ready to go. Going to build a Pershing tank for the allies.

Just started it, M26 Pershing in work:

m26_1.jpg

Great work lads, Just a question, (If its been awnsered before dont worry lol)

What parts of southeast England you going for , I assume Kent is one do you know what towns your going to be basing it on? Is Dover going to in it as well?

Keep up the great work  smile_o.gif

Yes Dover is in there.  Here's a pic.  But the problem with the pic is I can't get all the towns in the pic that are on the map.  The map is so big, the zoom factor comes to play when displaying town names.  There is quiet a bit more to the west of this area on the map, but here's a tid-bit to chew on.

ukmap.jpg

There are a lot of towns on there.  I plane to add 100% more towns. when I get the chance, but not before the first phase release.

You are able to change the zoom settings in the config!

I know that. LOL. I zoomed out a bit so people could see what they are dealing with size wise.

Btw mate, There's an Airport At Biggin Hill in Kent if you havent already got one, used during ww2

Its there. thx

Did u make some WW2 static for ur map to give it some life ?

Great work in a short time.

Custom Statics(houses,trees etc..)

are not priority at the minute,

at the minute we're working on equipment,weaponry and machinery.

Is Dunsfold airfield there?

Didn't have a big role in WW2 (emergency landing field only I think), but:

a) I have nostalgia for it because I worked on Harrier and Eurofighter there a while back.

b) Many people are familiar with it nowadays because it is where Top Gear is filmed.

Just a question... Can i swim over the english channel?

I dunno, buy urself a plane ticket and give it a try biggrin_o.gif

i will try when the mod is realesed(i will also film it and put it on youtube)

you can swim on water in arma i can't see why it would be any different in the mod smile_o.gif

it will however take a long time,

it took a good 8-10 minute flying over the channel in the lancaster.

so swimming might get boring after a while.

you can swim on water in arma i can't see why it would be any different in the mod smile_o.gif

it will however take a long time,

it took a good 8-10 minute flying over the channel in the lancaster.

so swimming might get boring after a while.

You have to put Ark Royal half way the Channel to shorten the flight time wink_o.gif

It must be sick flying the heavy bombers like the Lancaster in Arma. In my settings at least if I fly over 1000m I lose sight to ground and down looks same as up in all that haze. So if I want to identify something I have to fly < 500m and from that altitude you bomb yourself into "St.Peter's squadron" biggrin_o.gif

will there be any kind of ships? Since you have quite some water in your map mabye it would cool to have battleships destoryers etc etc etc

Battleships,cruisers,Carriers would all bring there own set of rules completely I'd think.

i know they're defiantly not 1st phase,maybe not even 2nd stage.

ships should make it in some shape or form sometime though.

Quote[/b] ]You have to put Ark Royal half way the Channel to shorten the flight time wink_o.gif

It must be sick flying the heavy bombers like the Lancaster in Arma. In my settings at least if I fly over 1000m I lose sight to ground and down looks same as up in all that haze. So if I want to identify something I have to fly < 500m and from that altitude you bomb yourself into "St.Peter's squadron" biggrin_o.gif

Haha Landing a Heavy bomber like the Lancaster on(into) a carrier might be interesting.

It is a great laugh flying something so big in arma.

It's also fun shooting them down with fighter aircraft :P

the Lancaster does have 28 bombs but if you have a decent amount of speed I'm sure you can get far enough away from the first bomb detonating from 500ft to survive.

also Lancaster take quite a bit of stick before reaching a critical damage and the crew bail out.

i'm sure you'll be fine come the time biggrin_o.gif

Would be cool to see if you managed to hit a city from such a high altitude, you would be able to see how difficult it real was for them with the bad systems the UK had at the start of the war (Which of course progressed to be far, far better!wink_o.gif