Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Jumping..

Just started ArmedA again after never really learning to play the game,a long layoff and the new patch that fixed a slew of things but I've noticed that you still can't jump over small obstacles in the game.

Now realistically modern day soldiers are so weighed down with armament , ammo , body armor etc. etc. they probably can't jump over anything higher than a small log , but shouldn't they at least be able to climb over obstacles (or is mantling missing in the engine?).

Curious.

Just watched the video and it looks damn good.

Now THAT'S how real soldiers navigate small obstacles. biggrin_o.gif ..and it should have been included in the game in the first place. banghead.gif

Damn fine job. Txs.

There is a difference in "jump" and "climb" and of course you need proper working animations. OFP/ArmA are well known as "No-jump'n'gun" games wink_o.gif

Otherwise lets hope BIS will add this into next game. Hope it will be close to realism not that kind of passing over higher obstacles in speed of light or one second. Maybe with a random "entangle" biggrin_o.gif

Actually, "real soldiers" don't do little hops over obstacles. In training, we were to clear obstacles by vaulting over them and rolling sideways over the top, clearing them quickly while presenting a minimal target for the enemy. And, we did this at a full sprint, in full battle rattle, no less. Otherwise, you don't really want to climb over anything, since that's where you're most likely to get shot at.

Actually, "real soldiers" don't do little hops over obstacles. In training, we were to clear obstacles by vaulting over them and rolling sideways over the top, clearing them quickly while presenting a minimal target for the enemy. And, we did this at a full sprint, in full battle rattle, no less. Otherwise, you don't really want to climb over anything, since that's where you're most likely to get shot at.

Well you and you're group leader may want to spend all day sprinting and vaulting over obstacles but I'm sure the rest of us would just as soon casually walk/step over minor obstacles,especially in full battle gear (unless in a combat situation of course). nener.gif

Obstacles that can be "walked" over, should be passable by any soldier. But I'd actually like only the specops type units to be able to overcome higher obstacles, others just have to walk around. Mainly as a balancing thing -- specops are better trained than the average infantrymen, but specops can't in a game have some of the missions they may perform in real life (they do more than blow stuff up biggrin_o.gif). So let them have some special abilities instead making them a more fun class to play. Similar with backpacks; only specops should be able to carry two main guns (other than sidearm and tube), one being an SMG. Hide body ability is not enough I think.

I'd like being able to jump a little (to about knees height), but not anything like Unreal Tournament and that stuff biggrin_o.gif Actually I'd prefer obstacle overcoming animations as seen in the game Vietcong, that was just beautiful.

Jumping is limited to the persons load the more you carry the less you can jump/climb. Its a physical limitation that boils down to the individuals own fitness. Thinking of weights if you're carrying just a rifle, webbing and pistol you should be able to climb over an obstacle as high as the full extension of your hands above your head and also jump across a 9ft ditch. If you add body armour it should still be possible to do that and rocket launcher might limit the jump to 6ft and climb to elbow height unless you took off the satchel/rocket launcher and placed it up on the top of the wall. A standing jump might be limited also as more weight is added. I think this sort of ability is sort of missing in Arma. But its cool to have endurance modeled like for running etc with the breathing rate and added noise.

Obstacles that can be "walked" over, should be passable by any soldier. But I'd actually like only the specops type units to be able to overcome higher obstacles, others just have to walk around. Mainly as a balancing thing -- specops are better trained than the average infantrymen, but specops can't in a game have some of the missions they may perform in real life (they do more than blow stuff up biggrin_o.gif). So let them have some special abilities instead making them a more fun class to play. Similar with backpacks; only specops should be able to carry two main guns (other than sidearm and tube), one being an SMG. Hide body ability is not enough I think.

I'd like being able to jump a little (to about knees height), but not anything like Unreal Tournament and that stuff biggrin_o.gif Actually I'd prefer obstacle overcoming animations as seen in the game Vietcong, that was just beautiful.

does that mean you need a green beret just to climb a wall?? confused_o.gif

The actual hat is optional tounge2.gif

What I'm saying is that the current engine doesn't have any jumping or obstacle clearing built in (or weight effects). The scripted way of clearing an obstacle is teleporting the unit to the other side of the fence with no animation etc. This system doesn't "look good" obviously, but if it is utilized, then yes, let only have a few special units be able to perform this.

Why would anyone want to choose a specop unit if they don't have any special abilities other than hide body (+a slightly higher camouflage value and cost? unsure)? All soldiers can handle satchels anyway. Multiplayer Domination v3.0 only allows specop units to perform this "move" (action). This is fine with me.

All units are able to climb over obstacles there is no "special" thingy in it. Maybe SF can do it bit faster and choose better (hidden) place but thats depend on player/AI skills. Imho its better to have AI-SF only with better "trained" combat skills. Don't like this "SF-uberheroes" stuff, you find it in most games and many films.

Just started ArmedA again after never really learning to play the game,a long layoff and the new patch that fixed a slew of things but I've noticed that you still can't jump over small obstacles in the game.

Now realistically modern day soldiers are so weighed down with armament , ammo , body armor etc. etc. they probably can't jump over anything higher than a small log , but shouldn't they at least be able to climb over obstacles (or is mantling missing in the engine?).

Curious.

i was testing this and i got over everything i tried, wood fences and half walls, really like the abillity to get over the "curb" size walls on the buildings.

If it's a really high wall and the regulars are wearing a lot of gear, then yeah.