Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

VBS2 VTK v1.19 Trailer Released

The official VBS2 VTK 1.19 trailer is now available. This is the version that is still based off of the ArmA1 engine.

Standard VBS2 disclaimer:

VBS2 and ArmA/ArmA2 are made by separate teams and you should never assume that anything you see in one will automatically be in the other. VBS2 has been in development since after ArmA1 released and has been adding various features and functionality based on funded customer developments for a long time, and this explains a lot of the functionality that is present in it compared to ArmA1. In the end, ArmA != VBS2 and VBS2 != ArmA and anyone who complains that ArmA does not have feature X while VBS2 does is missing the bigger picture.

With that being said...

You can download it via either link:

http://dslyecxi.com/videos/vbs2_vtk_final_2.wmv

http://www.vbs2.com/media/movies/vbs2_vtk_trailer.wmv

It's also available on Youtube:

I've always wondered if the VBS2 crew ever snooped around the forums and gathered some ideas, or did the customer request it?

All content that makes it in VBS2 is added because one of the (military) customers requested it. Some minor stuff has been added because private customers asked for it but thats more the exception to a rule.

Of course the VBS2 devs are reading or participating here as well.

I've always wondered if the VBS2 crew ever snooped around the forums and gathered some ideas, or did the customer request it?

Much of the 'cool' stuff you see (aside from the UK stuff obviously) was specified in the VTK requirements. The VTK project has been a year of development, with the requirements specified well in advance of that. The actions and capabilities are directed by specific customer requirement.

Of course BIS/BIA dev's have accounts on the forums and browse here from time to time. However, that doesn't mean they go and lift content from the community. BI needs people to respect their IP, so it would be quite hypocritical to turn around and swipe content.

I think stuff like the Warfare gameplay etc shows that BIS is aware of community interests, but significantly, they don't poach the content.

As Dslyecxi said, the dev teams are independent, so in some regards it's like ArmA and BF2, they really don't have any relation as to what shows up in the other's content database. BIA does its own thing in its own way for its own customers, and likewise BIS.

Much of the 'cool' stuff you see (aside from the UK stuff obviously) was specified in the VTK requirements. The VTK project has been a year of development, with the requirements specified well in advance of that. The actions and capabilities are directed by specific customer requirement.

Ah, that's what I was wondering mostly.

Looks impressive and I hope it'll help in training.

I'm also wondering one thing, if anybody can explain it to me, is VBS used in later stages of training, like prior to deployment, or does it vary? Also, not sure if you can answer this, but are requirements made based on current deployment(like the green zone), or also just something general(judging by woodland UK soldiers and equipment and possibly island)?

Ah, that's what I was wondering mostly.

Looks impressive and I hope it'll help in training.

I'm also wondering one thing, if anybody can explain it to me, is VBS used in later stages of training, like prior to deployment, or does it vary? Also, not sure if you can answer this, but are requirements made based on current deployment(like the green zone), or also just something general(judging by woodland UK soldiers and equipment and possibly island)?

The requirements from military customers generally reflect current training / operational requirements, but not necessarily in the sense "we're in the green zone we need a green zone". Rather, the VBS prime users focus on skills and procedures. Having the thematic elements is nice, but secondary.

Often the objectives are varied and different though than what might be apparent to the instructee's.

Uses for VBS have included :

Instructional videos

Promotional videos (much cooler than text powerpoints)

Assessing squad command and leadership

Reinforcing communication skills

Reaction drill retention

Mission rehearsal and environmental adaptation is important, and useful, but far from being the only or primary tasks.

Hmm, well, as I'm asking questions, do you have any data that compares troops trained on VBS2 and just regular troops, their general effectiveness on exercies etc, or just an indetail report on how it helps and improves tactics, squad coherence, etc.?

If it's on the VBS2 site, I apologise, because in that case I didn't search good enough.

things that i would very like to see to come to ARMA:

working LAM(i.e AN/PEQ-2)

FLIR

Handsigns

DIB

if you look at the HD version then you can find that the texture on vehicals are very simple

Looks like a good product. Hope it trains as well as it looks. Those landrovers with mg look awesome btw!

if you look at the HD version then you can find that the texture on vehicals are very simple

And if you look at the source tga textures and models you'll find that the texturing is very efficient and the texel level consistent. In many cases, you have a single 2048^2 texture for the hull, a second for interior detail, and a third smaller texture for details.

It's also worth remembering that whilst a typical gamer has a high end rig and likes stuff being insanely pretty, a Military customer (ie, VBS2s target audience) will be looking at running on minimum spec hardware, whilst trying to meet a training requirement. As such they may not particually care about how aesthetically pleasing the models and textures look, just as long as the application performs its function.

@shinRaiden and Pathy

thats what my point

i was just trying to tell one of the major difference between VBS2 and ARMA, or to be exact: the difference between a training soft and a gamer's game

Hi all

Good to see.

Thanks to Tom Moat for his efforts to get VBS2 working for the MOD.

The Video is very good.

Kind Regards walker

Nice to see actual soldiers getting to use that Brit Kit that someone made smile_o.gif

Good read.

Pathy/Messiah, did UKF offer/get approached for any models or anything? Your comments give a couple of hints or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

Well, i'm not going to lie. Yeah, we kept it low key, as we'd seen the precedent for other mod teams, who got accused of "selling out" when they did similar stuff. But with screenshots on our website, and screenshots of the VBS2 UK kit readily available, it's pretty obvious that they're the same models and textures. So theres little point denying it anymore.

Everything shown in screenshots on our website we intend to release (when finished), by the way, before someone says we've been leading the community on (Something we've already been accused of). Anyway, less about us, more about the BBC news article wink_o.gif