Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.14

Okay, ive done a complete fresh install of Windows Vista, fully up dated with SP1, drivers etc - installed ArmA, then patched to 1.14, still have the same lag.

I think it is just a LOD issue for me, the game runs smooth until I turn or look through a scope. Im not sure if you can adjust when the LODs are used in ArmA?

Intel Core2 Quad CPU   Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

3070 meg of ram (3 Gig)

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512meg

640Gig Raid Array

Windows Vista Home Premium

I've got exactly the same problem, Pug - did you find a solution mate?

Stew

Am i the only person who thinks 1.14 is a good patch?? Before the patch came out the game was unplayable for me. Now i am getting around 35 FPS average! Previousley i could only manage 12 tops. How many guys here have got those expensive super computers and are expecting even more frame rates than the 60'and 70's that i read about on these forums? So because their frame rates havn't gone even higher they don't like the patch?? My "normal" system specs- P4@3ghz. 1 Gig ram and nvidea 7600gs 512 mb. To put it another way the patch works for us guys who have normal lower end comps.

Am i the only person who thinks 1.14 is a good patch?? Before the patch came out the game was unplayable for me. Now i am getting around 35 FPS average! Previousley i could only manage 12 tops. How many guys here have got those expensive super computers and are expecting even more frame rates than the 60'and 70's that i read about on these forums? So because their frame rates havn't gone even higher they don't like the patch?? My "normal" system specs- P4@3ghz. 1 Gig ram and nvidea 7600gs 512 mb. To put it another way the patch works for us guys who have normal lower end comps.

well not really, as ppl who dont have problems would properly still play on without saying anything

while ppls who do have problem will shout everywhere so that someone would notice them

No Stewy, short of going back to a previous version which doesn't really help.

Come on Bis! do something.

all the coop severs crash 95% of the time , yellows chains and lag after fresh restart of the coop mission, thier seems to a lack of support on this issue?? goodnight.gif

Similar problem to Pug and Stewy

core 2 quad 9300

XFX780i motherboard

XFX9800gtx 512mb

4gb 8500 ddr2

750gb sata HD

XP64sp1

On Windows Vista64, With the above specs I can play Arma @ 1600x1200, AA set to LOW, View distance @1400 and all other settings to Very High with very good FPS/performance. Problem is I've had various other issues with Vista that have caused me to go back to Windows XP64. In WinXP64, with the exact same graphics options as in Vista, I get bad texture swapping. I am in a town and swing around to look at a building behind me and its texture is really low res, then swaps to high res. Or, Ill be in first person view then switch to 3rd person and the textures for my uniform/weapons will be really low res. Some times it takes a very long time for a texture to load.

The worst thing about all of this is that when this "texture swapping" is happening it cuts my frame rate in half until I move away from the affected object or the texture finally loads. Also this problem gets a lot worse over time, after a while the game is pretty much unplayable with loads of objects constantly swapping textures and LODs, lagging the game to hell. I have tried putting my texture detail from Very High to Normal but its just the same. I've noticed that Alt-tabbing out of the game and back makes the textures load. but having to do this every 2 minutes isn't exactly a valid fix..

So why this big difference between Vista64 and XP64? Is vista's memory management that much better? what could be the cause of this? If anyone can help or give some insight I'd be very grateful, its quite annoying to have a rig that can play this game maxed out (it surely is a beauty to behold smile_o.gif ) and to have these problems. :/

other info:

1:I was going to included some screen shots with FRAPS running to illustrate my problem, but for some reason when I take a screenshot of when the problem is occurring it turns out black, but any other time it grabs a screen shot fine.

2:Alt-Tabbing out of the game and back makes the scene load fully when some objects are taking a really long time to load their texture.

3:switching Windows "Memory usage" to "System cache" instead of the default "Programs" setting under "Performance Options" seems to help, but I need to test this more. And I still get some FPS loss/stuttering when using zoom view or switching to scope and back. But I haven't seen any objects like buildings/vehicles etc that take a while to load their texture whilst just moving around the island.

Question to developers:

In military actions the important role occupied with skill well to mask. In this connection I want to tell some words about shadows which would allow to remain unnoticed in weight of cases. Now we have disappearing shadows which it is visible only being near to them.

These shadows do not carry out all functions, and contrary only brake process of game. You already have found the decision to this similarly to shadows from mountains which do not disappear so why it is impossible to use this technology formation of shadows for all objects?

I hope for that you pay to this more attention and will try to correct it to realistic. Thanks

I get about 30-40 fps in urban combat. When the texture/LOD swapping is happening it drops to about 15-20fps.

I really wish I could take a screen shot of this happening. This evening I was playing Evo, attacking Cayo. All was good, then my frame rate dropped. I look over towards the water tower and it looks like a figgen UFO. About 3 minutes later it loads the proper model and my fps returns to normal....until it happens again after a few minutes. wth?

i have the same issue were if i drive into samoto very fast and get out of the car the textures take 3 sec to load i had it 800x600 still the same issue, i just dont do that kinda thing soo laggy in the samoto city center and i don't need the texture loading and the lag soo i tent to drive even slower nowdays. probelly the textures are too much for my x1950pro 512mb ? 2 gb memory? 3.0ghz pentium 4 ?

banghead.gif could be that ati drivers suck and i need to switch to nivida video card?

I have a very old problem, not only ArmA1.14, But also 1.01-1.12 and still in OFP 1.20 - 1.96

there is the sound probelm,

When an armed chopper fire its missiles or rockets, the fireing sounds are stay reverse position:

E.G.

When you fired left 38mm rockets, the sound come from right, when you fired right 38mm rockets, the sound come from left.

At first I think is my headset problem, but it's not. I try this at numbers of PC at correct sound channel, The problem still there.

Any one can fix this?

OFP 1.2 - ArmA 1.14  whistle.gif

I have the same texture problem. Sometimes textures needs 6-8 seconds {!} to load and set right LOD, after i turn me in a city or woodland area. Very often that same problem i have with LOD of objects, units and vehicles.

For example:

aV1uNkmJ.jpg aV1uOoIA.jpg aV1uOBbi.jpg

It looks like the texture problem is related to the quality setting in the video drivers, or control panel.

The lower i set the quality of my card, the worse get this texture problems.

On high quality the performance of ArmA is lower, as to be expected, but the texture problem is nearly gone. At least if the viewdistance is not set over 2000 meters.

Higher in game settings help too, all at the cost of the performance of course.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>And very often reported bug (by me):</span>

- AIs are using NVGoggles whereas is clear and anyone can see all without NVgoogles. This problem will be short time (up to 30 minutes) after sunrise and and the same time before dusk.

I have the same texture problem. Sometimes textures needs 6-8 seconds {!} to load and set right LOD, after i turn me in a city or woodland area. Very often that same problem i have with LOD of objects, units and vehicles.

For example:

aV1uNkmJ.jpg aV1uOoIA.jpg aV1uOBbi.jpg

Is your frame rate affected when this is happening?

Also I noticed you took screen shots in windowed mode, how come?

Lastly, what's your PC specs ? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]- AIs are using NVGoggles whereas is clear and anyone can see all without NVgoogles. This problem will be short time (up to 30 minutes) after sunrise and and the same time before dusk.

This is not a bug. The AI take their goggles off and put them on the same time all year round. Why is this important?

If you set the date to the winter months, you'll find that the days are much much shorter, i.e. the sun goes down much earlier than in summer. The AI put their NODs on "early" in summer because the time they are set to put them on coincides with the advent of darkness in the shortest day of the year, NOT with longer days that occur in summer.

I also get the texture issue chaos and others have. I thought it was just arma being arma and didnt think much of it. Now it appears that others are having the same issue. maybe the devs could have a look at it and make a hotfix

In the last few patches it was often adressed but seemed like it was always stronger for some while others had lot less of the popping up models.

To me it seems since 1.14 it became quite a bit worser as lately i see quite a lot of vehicles with square tires and paper cut soldiers ingame.

Doubt there ever will be a final fix of this for ArmA, guess the only fix is a stronger gfx card or lower settings as ArmA is super hungry in certain areas.

Quote[/b] ]- AIs are using NVGoggles whereas is clear and anyone can see all without NVgoogles. This problem will be short time (up to 30 minutes) after sunrise and and the same time before dusk.

This is not a bug. The AI take their goggles off and put them on the same time all year round. Why is this important?

If you set the date to the winter months, you'll find that the days are much much shorter, i.e. the sun goes down much earlier than in summer. The AI put their NODs on "early" in summer because the time they are set to put them on coincides with the advent of darkness in the shortest day of the year, NOT with longer days that occur in summer.

So that means there'll be times when human players can see fine, but any AI without NVGs will be hampered visually as if it's night time, right?

No, i haven´t performance problems at this time. Only the LOD of textures and models. I think, that problem is since 1.05 or 1.08 version.

I can play the game only in windowed mode, in fullscreen it will crash to desktop.

I have good system with E2160 CPU,2GB DDR-2 RAM and GeForce 8600GT @512MB graphics card. And WXP pro.

No, i haven´t performance problems at this time. Only the LOD of textures and models. I think, that problem is since 1.05 or 1.08 version.

I can play the game only in windowed mode, in fullscreen it will crash to desktop.

I have good system with E2160 CPU,2GB DDR-2 RAM and GeForce 8600GT @512MB graphics card. And WXP pro.

What are your ingame graph settings than.

Cause i find that my old 8600gt could not run geat with high settings.

When my older system wouldnt update textures and stuff quick enough i though it was because of the limits of my system.

I think it is a underperforming system that causes this prob most of the time.

I play at 1600x1200 with AA @low all other settings at Very High. In Vista with these settings I got high stable frame rates in all areas and situations (forest, urban combat etc.). In WinXp64 I get high stable frame rates also with these settings...until the textures and object LODs start switching, then my frame rate halves until they load.

edit- lol, sorry I realize now that your question was probably directed at Chaos whistle.gif

Soldier movement animations are still damn slow and clumsy. That's BUG NUMBER 1 in ArmA.

Yes, you have right. Thats really a big problem and makes the game less realistic. But only in conjunction with better AIs behaviour (going behind something under fire or/and responsing enemy fire - like in COD4) thats will produce more atmosphere and realism.

<span style='color:red'>@ code-red</span>

My settings you can see here. Sorry, all in german. But for "very high" see "sehr hoch" and for "high", "hoch". "Niedrig" is "small" and "Deaktiviert" is "inaktive".

Interesting problem with the tex/obj LODs is: i am standing on a place in middle of city and have many dead bodies and destroyed vehicles around me. After i starting the editor preview, i see bad LOD on all vehicles. After 5-15 seconds the LOD will be changed to the right one. As next, i will turn left or right for 5 seconds. Then (after turn+5secs) i turn back and see the texture/object bad LODs again !

There's still same tremendous mouse lag on even just a little lower fps situations.

Why, why? Bug #1 in ArmA, very effectively ruins the gameplay.