Sign in to follow this  
Mabes

ArmA on Steam

i'm curious to know how one would use add-ons with the Steam version of ArmA

Same way as with the normal version I guess. Their are many games on Steam that support mods, including Valves own Half Life games.

Hi,

Good new if more people can play the game but... smile_o.gif

Like many people I prefer a ''hard copie''. wink_o.gif

I always dont understand why it was so long and dificult to find that game in NA before the last month... long time after the official release. huh.gif

Good day!

-Soviet-

Only 1 flop!

Im in Europe and i cant buy it!

Is there any kind of way to buy it !?

I bougt several games via Steam, and that is the bright future for PC gaming!

Quote[/b] ]That is the beauty of Steam. You don't have to buy from them. I NEVER HAVE. I buy the retail box for the same reasons as you and Steam then let's you input the license code. This lets you all the awesomeness of Steam.

I'm sorry but I think I'm missing something here.

What is so beautifull about buying a cd and then going online to create an account instead of just inserting the cd key?

Quote[/b] ]My main reason for loving Steam is that you can load/reload YOUR games on any computer you are at. Examples are home/work computer, or when your computer dies and you have to reload Windows, or when you are upgrading to a new computer. Cannot get any easier than that.

Again, I must be missing something here to.

What can be more simple than putting your cd in your pc and typing your cd key to reinstall? I must have reinstall OFP dozens of time and mostly on computers without internet connection. I doubt I could have done that with Steam.

Hey, you are completely free to be in love with Steam (whatever makes you click...) and I agree that more ways to deliver the game is good but since I never play online, I fail to see what I'll gain using Steam instead of my cd key...

Cheers

Quote[/b] ]That is the beauty of Steam. You don't have to buy from them. I NEVER HAVE. I buy the retail box for the same reasons as you and Steam then let's you input the license code. This lets you all the awesomeness of Steam.

I'm sorry but I think I'm missing something here.

What is so beautifull about buying a cd and then going online to create an account instead of just inserting the cd key?

Quote[/b] ]My main reason for loving Steam is that you can load/reload YOUR games on any computer you are at. Examples are home/work computer, or when your computer dies and you have to reload Windows, or when you are upgrading to a new computer. Cannot get any easier than that.

Again, I must be missing something here to.

What can be more simple than putting your cd in your pc and typing your cd key to reinstall? I must have reinstall OFP dozens of time and mostly on computers without internet connection. I doubt I could have done that with Steam.

Hey, you are completely free to be in love with Steam (whatever makes you click...) and I agree that more ways to deliver the game is good but since I never play online, I fail to see what I'll gain using Steam instead of my cd key...

Cheers

Look,

in my country (Croatia) Arma retail kosts 50€ thanks to greedy retailers, and on Steam 30$, once u installed with steam , thats it,

if you reinstall your OS dont need also to reinstall games on steam!

Just login to steam and thats it (maybe just to update steam platofrm , couple of megs) and it also works offline, dont need to be online full time.

This saturday i was on LAN party, on conn to internet, and was playing DOD Source (from steam) just fine and also 10 more ppl!

That is a problem for people without internet connection. But people who are buying a game from Steam without a CD  already have an unlimited i-net connection..

Quote[/b] ]I must have reinstall OFP dozens of time and mostly on computers without internet connection. I doubt I could have done that with Steam.

You are right. You can't install a steam game without internet connection. You need to go online for 5 min. You may use modem or gprs..

You can use your Steam-account on multiple computers without any restrictions. You can copy the game from one pc to another without restrictions.  You can switch Steam into "offline mode" and it won't ask for internet connection anymore.

When you reinstall the game you don't need to insert a cd-key. You need to login into your steam account. You may reinstall the game with all patches with a Steam feature: game backup. Or you can redownload the whole game from the net as many times as you wish.

Quote[/b] ]I fail to see what I'll gain using Steam instead of my cd key...

You don't need to insert a disk into the cd drive.

BTW you can install the game with the same steam-account on many computers and then switch steam to offline mode. You will be able to play on them at the same time ( NOT online and NOT by LAN ). WIth a CD version you have to insert the CD to play so it's impossible to play at the same time.

Hmm I never bought any games off of Steam. But now that my wifes PC is up to snuff (X2 4600+,2 gig ram,8600gts)

Maybe she will play with me now. Steam is a good alternative as she doesn't have a cd/dvd drive even.

What version would the Combat Operations off Steam be?

Glad Arma is on steam. Mainly because most people I know that play PC games have no idea what patches are. They are needed espically for multiplay, and Steam takes care of this patching phase automatically. Besides I too do not like looking for patches, and rather fire up a game and have it fully updated and ready to go. smile_o.gif

I wish they had put it on steam earlier... I would have bought it there.

Games actually install faster for me via steam than any CD or DVD drive can. I can pull nearly 8 MB/sec off of steam. Whenever I have to reinstall my OS and subsequently all games that I want installed... I do it after dinner. I get my OS installed and all basic applications/services. Then I move to steam and queue up the download on all my games and go to sleep. Takes about 60 minutes to get to that point. I wake up in the morning and all done and ready to go!

I might just buy a copy on steam for the ease of mind. I'll wait for the new patch to come out, though.

actually i think the timing of ATARI putting ArmA on steam is weird ...

i mean why they put it now in 1.08 build (they must know new patch is sometime soon)

(hell they even NOT tested it (see the STEAM forums about bug while installing on XP/Vista w/o admin account rights))

how hard it would be to put it on STEAM as pre-order / pre-load and wait till next patch ...

sometimes i think that logic behind publishers marketing is very "strange" ...

sure it's better than not at STEAM but ... oh well ... anyway it's ATARI and NA only

i hope the rest of STEAM WorldWide is executed way better smile_o.gif

i mean why they put it now in 1.08 build (they must know new patch is sometime soon)

(hell they even NOT tested it (see the STEAM forums about bug while installing on XP/Vista w/o admin account rights))

how hard it would be to put it on STEAM as pre-order / pre-load and wait till next patch ...

sure it's better than not at STEAM but ... oh well ... anyway it's ATARI and NA only

If the next ArmA patch is a beta, why would they wait for that? Why not just publish the game on Steam in its last final version and not as beta.

If the next ArmA patch is a beta, why would they wait for that? Why not just publish the game on Steam in its last final version and not as beta.

"The next patch" isn't beta. A beta version of the next patch is going to be released. Just a bit of nitpicking there. smile_o.gif

Also, judging by the time they've taken in making it, and by the fact that it seems to have been extensively tested, I'm guessing the patch won't introduce too many new bugs that need to be fixed.

Thus I'd say it's more like a release candidate than a beta. At least the BIS fanboy inside me wants to believe that. biggrin_o.gif

Back to the topic of steam - I believe what Dwarden meant was that ARARIs timing for releasing ArmA on Steam is rather strange, due to the fact that 1,08 is fairly old and somewhat unoptimized compared to 1,09 and certainly compared to 1,11. So it really would have been more intelligent to wait another few weeks, so that the new customers on Steam get a more polished product.

Nitpick all you want smile_o.gif

If the next patch released to the great public from BIS is a beta, or a beta version of the patch, doesn't really matter now or does it which way you say it, it's still a beta, anyways, what they'll be releasing next...

...how can you say when a final version of that patch is coming out? You can't. The people running Steam can't either. I'm 99.99 % sure that BIS can't say about it either. Why would the people running Steam wait for a patch of which they have no clue when, and if, it is released. Thus they release what they have now. This makes more sense to me.

I'm not buying your argument that a patch which is said to be a beta version by BIS, is now somehow turned into a Release Candidate (by you). Well at BIS they can name it whatever they want... like a Release Candidate now when you said it smile_o.gif

Point is, Steam should not release a beta version and they should not sit and wait for a final version of the next patch either, because a final version was already released by BIS.

buying games over steam is really sweet these days when the dollar dropped a bit.

>Back to the topic of steam - I believe what Dwarden meant was that ARARIs timing for releasing ArmA on Steam is rather strange,

If you read the original announcement, Atari released a cross-section of their back-catalog to Steam so there wouldn't have been any consideration of whether the timing made sense for any particular title.

Has anyone ever thought that they might have released ArmA on steam as a "beta test" for ArmA 2 being released on steam?

Definitely a possibility.

Guest Ti0n3r
buying games over steam is really sweet these days when the dollar dropped a bit.

Quoted for truth. Nice news too biggrin_o.gif

Steam is awesome. No need to buy another copy, because your discs are scratched. Endless downloads, autoupdates and a simple interface for enabling addons and other start up parameters.

Community news and/or links direct to you as you start up Steam.

Steam also does multipack deals and you can get many games for little cost. The advertising (its not intrusive) will help the community too, of course there is the get caught cheating and have your Steam account banned policy smile_o.gif

I downloaded GTA-SA from steam, was supposed to be NA only, I live in the UK.

Fingers crossed, BIS will pump out ArmA2 on Steam.

Has anyone ever thought that they might have released ArmA on steam as a "beta test" for ArmA 2 being released on steam?

Definitely a possibility.

Ofc not, this isnt BIS' doing it Atari's. But sure ArmA2 on steam yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

guess someone again misread what i wrote

ATARI could easily to setup the title as preload / preorder till next patch is out

(it takes one flag to be set on Valve main server)

sure they released the whole pack of titles from back catalogue because ATARI decided ...

but these are exactly reasons why these publishers die out (ATARI was close to bancrupt or even filled the bancrupt article and is now under 'limited operation'wink_o.gif

i mean if this is marketing strategy then ... oh well smile_o.gif

face it, either two weeks earlier with 10000 customers requesting refund or two weeks later with 10000 more sales ...

in fact it would take only hour to prepare and test ArmA with beta 1.11 patch to be released on steam

(with both 1.08 and 1.11beta startup links)

but oh well i guess bit common sense and solid approach to customers is too much to ask from big publishing domes

Common sense is that they want to sell ArmA on Steam now and not starting at some time in future.

Putting a beta patch into Steam isn't really sensible in my opinion. It is in the misty future when the patch currently under beta testing is declared final, and thus why I say it makes no sense for them to wait for that. Just release what they have now as stable, and won't it then update to the next official (non-beta) patch when it is released.

The business is losing money every day ArmA is not on sale on Steam. Waiting would be counter-productive for them. Who would pre-order ArmA now when we know it has been on sale for what, something like 1.5 years.

I don't think that the 1.08 is bad compared to the 1.04 505 Games release version. Problems on unsupported platforms excluded.