Sign in to follow this  
Yoshama

at soldier

The ai in the games is pretty good, but the only thing that bugs me more than soldiers getting stuck in a fenced in yard or behind a phone booth is that the at soldiers shoot their rockets at PEOPLE!!! it is so annoying when you are doing a commando style mission with a squad and your team spends all of their rockets into the first few soldiers. not only that but also when they shoot they don't care about the ground in front of them and most of their rockets land in font of the feet of my squad, resulting in failure. is there any way to keep them from shooting at people instead of tanks?

It seems the AI does not know to compensate for gravity when firing AT at 200m+. Thats why most of their rockets fall slightly short.... thankfully!!!

I don't mind so much having an RPG fired at me, it is after all a grenade. And I believe in real life ( I know "insurgents" etc do it) RPG soldiers may well fire upon troops if they can hit them/take out several enemies. I don't think it would be USA military discipline though to shoot antitank rockets at infantry, maybe if they were in a building or the AT soldier had some kind of anti bunker/frag rocket. Perhaps some military service people could answer this.

Hey, just out of interest/fun, whats the longest range you have been fired at in ARMA by an AI with an RPG? I have been taken out by one at about a range of 500-600m. Seems the AI have more faith in there rockets than there AK at that range. I really wish the AI would engage with there AKs at this range instead of just going prone and looking in your direction waiting to be shot lol. PK gunners have a bit more balls though. smile_o.gif

@seany - I can assure you that no NATO force or any other force signed up to the Geneva Convention of 1949 will use AT versus infantry unless it was their minimum force and they were in a life or death situation.

@seany - I can assure you that no NATO force or any other force signed up to the Geneva Convention of 1949 will use AT versus infantry unless it was their minimum force and they were in a life or death situation.

Against civilians in their homes, or cars, or whatever, though, is another matter.

Just by talking to people who are over in the fighting at the moment you'll learn thats not true, and hell, just go search for some videos on youtube, plenty of the Royal marines having fun with AT on single infantry targets out in the desert... not exactly life or death... just war.

Perhaps so Rommel, but that is considered war crimes by that same convention. My point was that no soldier in a force that signed that treaty "should" use it. I know full well what goes on out there, I'm still serving. wink_o.gif

thx cole that is the perfect addon.

it cool at first when they shoot rpg's at soldiers but it gets annoying when you know you have tanks up ahead that need their plate of killing too.

True, that is one annoying problem with it. Similar to AA soldiers shooting at UAZs. Now there ain't no real world soldier would do that.

As this is a "returning" bug, why hasn't Bohemia themselves released a hotfix for it?

Sure the community saved them again, but confused_o.gif

Whilst they're at it, they could kindly ask Aushilfe if it's ok with him to add his(or any other who made the same) Woodland units into ArmA standard in that very patch.

in 1.14 it seems BI didn't quite "get there" if you get what I mean.

Woot, 2 Woodland units, one regular soldier and one medic without his "med pack" when Sharani is 50% woodland.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Same could ofc be said that Russian *cough* SLA doesn't have any desert camo units, and neither of the sides except the resistance has desert camo vehicles.

/whine

No. Forexample Brits seems to use AT-4s and Javelins in Afganistan quite often. And it doesn't seem to be different with US. Forecample in Falluhja one weapon used alot was AT-4... Does insurgents have tanks? No sir! ... Well not outside OFP Resistace atleast!

And... Hmm... I've never heard that AT weapon's use against infantry would be against anything. My country's army mentions in it's MOUT guide that AT-launchers will be used in combat against buildings. I've seen what individual soldier should know about laws of war. AT-weapons weren't on list. Yes that Geneva thing has been signed.

But AT-weapons in ArmA terms are pretty worthless against infantry, so i dont' see reason why they should keep firing them at enemy infantry. RPG instead could have frag ammo, which can be used against infantry.  But it's HEAT is just as worthless an AT-4.

Certainly if it's an AT-4 HEDP round, you could justify shooting it at troops (time delay and ground-strike fuses)

If it's an AT-4 HEAT, then no, shooting it at troops would be pretty pointless...

But we're really splitting hairs here - In firefights, it's all about loud noises and big explosions, and I love it when one of my team fires an AT weapon when rounds start zinging! pistols.gif

The most trusted source of military information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-4

..and I love it when one of my team fires an AT weapon when rounds start zinging! pistols.gif

Not me, especially when some enemy armour arrives and we have no AT rounds because they were wasted by AI on infantry.

They don't seem to do it so often anymore, at least.

..and I love it when one of my team fires an AT weapon when rounds start zinging! pistols.gif

Not me, especially when some enemy armour arrives and we have no AT rounds because they were wasted by AI on infantry.

They don't seem to do it so often anymore, at least.

That's why I always carry one if there's armour about - I believe in the "If you want something done properly..." maxim...

That's why I always carry one if there's armour about - I believe in the "If you want something done properly..." maxim...

Sometimes one person isn't enough. And it's safer to send an AI after a tank than to go myself tounge2.gif

Related to this, I keep seeing my AA soldiers firing their Stingers at ground vehicles, which is soooo nice when a Kamov then appears and all we can do is wave at it  sad_o.gif

(Arma 1.14)

Certainly if it's an AT-4 HEDP round, you could justify shooting it at troops (time delay and ground-strike fuses)

True. But ArmA AT-4 (also RPG-7) seems to use bare HEAT. Their lethality rate is so small that it basically has to directly hit in target.

But your right. Target probably won't care is it HEAT or HE if it produces enough big bang. So use of HEAT in that light is reasonable, while trying to suppress enemy (which in ArmA however doesn't happen). But like said, problem in ArmA is that AT-guys don't care are they risk at running against armored vehicles after AT-weapons are being used.

I liked it the first time I saw it, but it got old very quickly.

Leaving aside the exigencies of real life combat, I'd rather

they just didn't fire at anything except hard targets. In an

Arma AI squad, hoying explody things at the baddies is the

grenade launcher operators' job.

I played some vanilla ArmA for the first time in a long time yesterday and the AI went back to firing their M136 at individual enemy soldiers. It took me by surprise and I was like, "what in the name of God are you doing?!?!?".

Then I realized that the Proper mod wasn't active.  tounge2.gif If there are UAZs running around, I put my AT men on "hold" so that they don't blow their wad on those jeeps. UAZs are very easy to take out with your AR and it's fun too. Plus I want them to be fully armed when BMPs and T-72s come around.

Firing M136s at people reminds me too much of Q3 and UT.

I can't see US military doctrine ever condoning doing this. The chances of you hitting a person are poor and if there's nothing behind the enemy soldier to detonate the round, it just goes whizzing by...with the possibility of hitting God knows what. It definitely looks good in the movies though.

...the AI went back to firing their M136 at individual enemy soldiers.

Those Russian armour vests must be really good! wow_o.gif

I can't see US military doctrine ever condoning doing this. The chances of you hitting a person are poor and if there's nothing behind the enemy soldier to detonate the round, it just goes whizzing by...with the possibility of hitting God knows what. It definitely looks good in the movies though.

May be I'm wrong (a very possible option) but, isn't it that rocket launchers are used agains buildings and other tipe of fortress?

In that case it would be good if the AI fire their rockets when they know that there is an enemy behind a wall or vehicle.

Sometimes they are used as very expensive grenade launchers, yes.  I've also seen a video of some US Marines using a Javelin on some insurgents behind a fence.  How they got it to lock on to them, I don't know.

Sometimes they are used as very expensive grenade launchers, yes.  I've also seen a video of some US Marines using a Javelin on some insurgents behind a fence.  How they got it to lock on to them, I don't know.

It's locks into image. You can lock it into anything as long as target's image can be processed and locked. I don't know how it works, but it basically can hit anything, individual men even, maybe even bare ground (or in your case fence). Spike has same system, i dont' recall technology's name, but it bases on processing image and basically locking into shape(s).

Spike can be steered by gunner who sees world from missiles own camera if gunner doesn't wish to use fire-and-forget mode (so he could lock into actual insurgent after missile is high enough to establish line-of-sight to insurgent). Maybe Javelin has same system, i dont' recall.