Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

Suggestion-list for the final arma patch

Probably the most annoying bug in day to day use of Arma is the Sprint bug. Where you sprint, release the key and your soldier continues to sprint for 6 more steps before stopping. This also happens when pressing the "go prone" key from a sprint, your soldier continues to sprint several steps then goes prone.

Sure, we can "learn to live with it", but these are the kind of bugs that really irritate because it makes you feel like your not in control of your player, which is very bad for any FPS game.  And given the unforgiving nature of a lot Arma missions (one shot = game over) this is even more unacceptable.

One other annoying bug, that only effects Arrow Key users, is that opening the Map stops control over the player/player's vehicle. So I cant be jogging/driving along and glance at the map without coming to a stop then having to close the map and re tap the Up Arrow key to start moving forward again. This is nothing to do with realism, its just a stupid bug.  WSAD key users can use the map while moving, just like in OFP. Why cant Arrow key users?

I start from the statement that ArmA is nerest to a simulation game than to an arcade one, so, have you ever tryied to stop suddenly while you are running?

I hope that you did it...so think about the same action but loaded with a typical battle dressing and equipment...in my opinion ArmA simulates in a great way that situation.

I hope that the future ArmA official BIS developements will be oriented to a progressive de-arcadization of the game.

Greetings.

It would be great if you would have instant brake on your dummy just as IRL rofl.gif

Next time simply estimate the distance and slow down sprint to walk and then go prone wink_o.gif

seany have you tried the patch yet? What do you think of the new movement?

--Ben

Aha, yes you are right it is much better in the new patch. thank you BIS yay.gif , now if they can just fix that other problem with map and movement using the arrow keys ill be sorted.

Shadowy / OldFossil: What? don't give me that, I like my simulations as much as the next simguy. This was a filthy bug, which is why it was fixed...

The thing with real life is.. if I want to stop at a specific point ahead of me (even when fully laden), I start stopping earlier. My legs don't continue to run beyond the point I wanted them to stop at lol

And Shadowy : "estimate the distance..." lol it was completely random when it happened and for how long it lasted, I had "learned" to estimate it, and it was a pain in this ass. PS, which is why they fixed it. I swear some of you enjoy being irritated by bugs that can be easily fixed in games....Sadists.

meh, its fixed now anyway tounge2.gif

seany have you tried the patch yet?  What do you think of the new movement?

--Ben

Shadowy / OldFossil: What? don't give me that, I like my simulations as much as the next simguy. This was a filthy bug, which is why it was fixed...  

The thing with real life is.. if I want to stop at a specific point ahead of me (even when fully laden), I start stopping earlier. My legs don't continue to run beyond the point I wanted them to stop at  lol

And Shadowy : "estimate the distance..." lol it was completely random when it happened and for how long it lasted, I had "learned" to estimate it, and it was a pain in this ass. PS, which is why they fixed it. I swear some of you enjoy being irritated by bugs that can be easily fixed in games....Sadists.

meh, its fixed now anyway  tounge2.gif

When you want to stop yourself at a given point you must slow down run to walk before you reach the point as stated by Shadowy. It's given to you to stop running a few meters before the arrival point, you can't pretend your carachter thinks where begin to slow down before you release the forward key. It could be possible if you, in some way, preset the arrival point, as when you give commands to other members of your AI squad.

My impression, about the number of steps preceding the definitive stop, is that if you are into the maximum intensity and speed of sprint you stop farther than when you begin to be tired of run, so you get stopped into a shorter distance.

Anyway I don't exclude that this behaviour could be in some way buggy...but in my opinion it reflects quite well the reality.

Bye.

Any chances netcode will be improved? It's quite annoying to have players at only 80-100 ping look doing small little teleports while running.

Same thing for AI when at that ping range,

Any chances netcode will be improved? It's quite annoying to have players at only 80-100 ping look doing small little teleports while running.

I think thats a broad generalised statement ..... that probably only applies to some people and some servers.

Gnat @ Jan. 22 2008,12:14)]

I think thats a broad generalised statement ..... that probably only applies to some people and some servers.

No I wouldn't say thats generalised at all, I thought it was quite well known arma/OFP never had the most optimized netcode, as it is it avoids issues like faulty hitreg that appears in games like BF2, but at the same time it makes players look alot more jumpy.

... ok, just thought of something else!

it happened to me twice yesterday in SP missions Commander and Rats Nest (included in the RHS Hind pack)

the bug is the following:

sometimes when i board a vehicle and instead of driving it myself i order one of my men to do it for me, it seems that i partially loose control of my squad pistols.gif

after disembarking from such vehicle, i am no longer to keep my units in formation, for when i try to tell ´em to, i hear my character say "All, follow all" or "all follow 2" or whoever it was that was driving the vehicle....

in the Hind mission i cannot get the other chopper to hold formation with me because of the same reason.... i can only have him move by specifically telling him where to go! sad_o.gif

it´s annoying, unrealistic and more than once got my squad killed, please fix it BIS, for it is a bug

thank you

after disembarking from such vehicle, i am no longer to keep my units in formation, for when i try to tell ´em to, i hear my character say "All, follow all" or "all follow 2" or whoever it was that was driving the vehicle....

Press 0-1 to say 'ready' and then order your men to return to formation, then they will follow you again.

It's because, for some weird reason you been assigned an order. And now you need to confirm that it's done so that your men will follow you.

This bug has been there since OFP.

It would be nice if BIS fixed it so that ordering your men to return to formation would always make them follow you (instead of someone else), the squad leader.

On top of that they shouldnt be able to say "All follow All", wich makes no sense at all....

Currently during multiplayer I've noticed after teammates throw a grenade while moving LEFT (so they go static, throw the grenade, then continue left), they do the evasive left animation, which looks absolutely sweet, however you can never see yourself do this, but you can see others. whistle.gif

Otherwise:

- Smoother Animations

- Replace more current "un-enterable" houses with ones that are 'enterable'.

- Longshot, no doubt won't come in, smashable building glass...

- Rain in buildings, maybe introduce Hail (could allow for more dynamic weather)

- more disabling hits then exploding hits.

Everyones mentioned everything else... whistle.gif

Press 0-1 to say 'ready' and then order your men to return to formation, then they will follow you again.

It's because, for some weird reason you been assigned an order. And now you need to confirm that it's done so that your men will follow you.

This bug has been there since OFP.

It would be nice if BIS fixed it so that ordering your men to return to formation would always make them follow you (instead of someone else), the squad leader.

On top of that they shouldnt be able to say "All follow All", wich makes no sense at all....

Got an idea of command like "%1, follow this or that unit" in command menu - so it could be possible to add "bodyguards" to other soldiers :P

BTW thanks Madmatt for giving me solution to solve this problem xD

If you ask me, the command system needs updating. The one Gen. Barron made was awsome, with a bit more polishing and functions it can completely replace the OFP one, well, it does. It can be brought to ArmA probably, with a bit of touching up and some new anims.

One small tweak that could bring much improvement would be decreasing the movement sensitivity of tracked vehicles.

They spin all over the place and feel weightless, even the a.i. has trouble handling them without demolishing everything, its terrible..

4. (my Favorite) don't let rockets from RPGs and AT4 explode in air after certain distance. This is so unrealistic... instead they should fly until they hit the ground - but should loose much of its penetration power if the fly-path was long.

This is actually very realistic!! RPG's WILL self destruct after 800m if I remember correctly (20 years ago in the army)

4. (my Favorite) don't let rockets from RPGs and AT4 explode in air after certain distance. This is so unrealistic... instead they should fly until they hit the ground  - but should loose much of its penetration power if the fly-path was long.

This is actually very realistic!! RPG's WILL self destruct after 800m if I remember correctly (20 years ago in the army)

So no problem with RPG's.

The problem exists with Hellfires - they destroy themselves at ranges about 3000 meters? 20 seconds is definitely too short TTL for laser guided missiles. On the other side (east smile_o.gif ): as far as I know, real Vikhrs can attack targets 10 km's away.

Here's something i would find reasonable.

I know of atleast 3 music files that are used in the campaign and one SP mission that should be accessible thru triggers, these are actually nice tunes but not nice enough to extract from the missions and distribute in ours (too large file size)..

If its there and we all have it might aswell make it usefull whistle.gif .

I know of atleast 3 music files that are used in the campaign and one SP mission that should be accessible thru triggers, these are actually nice tunes but not nice enough to extract from the missions and distribute in ours (too large file size)..

3? I found 2 in the convoy attack mission. Where is the 3rd?

There are also a bunch in the Rahmadi Conflict campaign (Queens Gambit) that would be nice to have in ArmA pbos so they show up in the trigger list.

Although maybe BIS doesn't want to make them available to people without QG. It would be nice though. The Royal Flush music shows up in the trigger list.

3? I found 2 in the convoy attack mission. Where is the 3rd?

I didnt mean QG.

There is one in the SP Cobra gunship mission and another in the final Arma campaign mission, also a short riff in one of them.

There is one in the SP Cobra gunship mission and another in the final Arma campaign mission, also a short riff in one of them.

Found it, in "09FinalCountdown.Sara". It's the same music from the second Atari trailer. I wondered where it came from, thanks.

Ok, I've decided to sum up all the bugs so far, bugs in my view, gathered from the users posting in this thread, I think it's all based on 1.09b. I selected what I believe is a bug, there are some hard ones that border on feature request and on bug, so I decided to include them here too, as always you can pick the list apart and give me hell, I just wanted to make this more usefull. I can confirm about half of these in 1.09b, mainly because I encountred them, I haven't gone looking for them:

1.Tweak AI hearing to be between the earlier pinpoint hearing and the current (beta) deafness.

2.Tweak SVD Dragunov loading time - currently it's too slow.

3.Tweak NVG reaction to light sources: it blacks out too easily, NVG become useless even after glancing at a far away light source, they become completely useless in a cockpit.

4.Tweak tree LODs - what we have now looks bad and is constantly morphing, even after minimal movements.

5.Fix bikes: they can be shot up (3-4 shots) so that the looks changes to the destroyed texture but it can still be used. It takes a few more shots to actually destroy it.

6.SPR has no muzzle flash when not looking through the optics.

7.I would say tweak the Stryker, so that transportMaxMagazines is set to 100 (same as M113) and transportMaxWeapons is set to 20. These entries are missing for the Stryker, making it inherit the values from the Car class, which is 50/10 I believe.

8.Fix the comand option not working in the BMP-2 commander position (very old bug)

9. Give the player the option to holster a handgun... like A.I. can do it since 1.0

12. Prevent vehicle explosion just because they are stuck in the water.

13.Free mouse control on vehicles and commanding cursor

14. AI still can't cross some/many bridges.

15. Fix rusty tires,you should be able to shoot a hole in them like in OFP

16. All grenade launcher armed vehicles JUMP when firing the grenades.

17. I gunners on UAZs with MGs are far too accurate on the move.(not tested for west side mounted MGs, but I'll assume it's the same)

18. Hold fire command still needs tweaking.

19. AH-6, MH-6 a bit too fragile with a slightly rougher landing(and I mean just slightly).

20. You cannot command the AI in a driver pos to turn the engine off. Command needed, seeing how the AI recognizes a tanks faster with engines on.

21. AI still cannot drive down a straight road without going off it many times.

22. Sounds for some users(including me) start clipping after a lot of sounds appear and then some don't play at all, starting with the player.

23. There's still rain inside buildings.

24. The M119 has the barrel improperly designated in one of the lower LODs, it's not alligned with the rest of the gun. I reported this a long time ago.

25. Tanks still flip after colliding with a rock or something similar.

26. I have noticed that the HE rounds on tanks don't blow up things, but SABOT rounds do, but this might be just on my end because of a mod, but I have expirenced it in vanilla ArmA 1.09b, I think. Can anybody confirm this for me?

27. Going from crouch to run and then straight to prone makes the player go to a sprint anim and only then into prone. I believe this also happens with a few other anims. Pretty annoying, has got me killed a couple of times now.

There, all from this topic, a more organised list and more bugs, less wishlists. I think these are more or less reasonable and achieveable for BIS bug fixes.

- Dissappearing sound with alot of action on screen. I'm in a large battle, and seems like I'm by myself, I can't even hear my own weapon firing.

-When firing from Fortress 2 (The larger one) near the window slits, you can see more than you should, hard to explain, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.