Sign in to follow this  
dkraver

Estimated Min. Computer Requirements

Would it be possible to get a estimated minimum computer requirements for Arma II??

Im asking because im thinking about buying a new laptop since the one i got now can only just play Arma. And since it isnt that easy to upgrade a laptop it would nice to have a estimate so i wont end up in the same situation with the release of Arma II.

I know the game isnt finished and all but you must have some idea on what the requirements will be.

Hope you can help smile_o.gif

Probably, to play it just above Low-Graphics:

Dualcore with at least 2x2Ghz, 2GB Ram, DX10 Capable Graphics Adapter like GF8800 Series.

But the Game probably comes in one year, that means at that point, quad-cores, "GF10000" Series and 4GB-Ram could be already a standard.

So my advice is to wait with a new Laptop, or to buy one which you can later easy upgrade.

Wait until you can get the first faster quadcore laptops with a good 8800 series or even the upcomming 9000 series nvidia geforce series.

Best Regards, Christian

That is just speculation and the only thing for curtain is that you need a video card that has the pixel shader 3.0 technology or higher so that means instead of arma's recommended cards they would now be the minimum.

and I hardly believe you would need dualcore I actually think that you would have the minimum specs for ArmA II if you get ArmA I's recommended and to be sure search for the current perfect ArmA I rig and I expect you would be able to play ArmA II okay

An other thing you could do is search the xbox360 specs and try to get a system that matches those smile_o.gif

Isn't it xbox 360 ?

tounge2.gif

Problem solved!

Uh, I would wait until the game comes out before using a lot of money into new hardware for just that game... I refused to buy new hardware just for ArmA I, and it was the right decision for me I can say now!

Let's hope BIS devs are not working to much at console "optimisation" and gameplay. tounge2.gif

Cross fingers for more simulation, combat tactics, more editing & modding and mainly less/no bugs!

Let's hope BIS devs are not working to much at console "optimisation" and gameplay. tounge2.gif

Cross fingers for more simulation, combat tactics, more editing & modding and mainly less/no bugs!

I´m afraid they doo, the console market is far bigger than the PC market.

Probably, to play it just above Low-Graphics:

Dualcore with at least 2x2Ghz, 2GB Ram, DX10 Capable Graphics Adapter like GF8800 Series.

But the Game probably comes in one year, that means at that point, quad-cores, "GF10000" Series and 4GB-Ram could be already a standard.

So my advice is to wait with a new Laptop, or to buy one which you can later easy upgrade.

Wait until you can get the first faster quadcore laptops with a good 8800 series or even the upcomming 9000 series nvidia geforce series.

Best Regards, Christian

lol thoes are probly not going to be the standards in a year... In a year, your standards will probly be on level with a high end PC right now, if they are even that high. Your "PC Standards" are normally a year or two behind the technology... what you listed will probly still be an extreamly high end PC a year from now.

As for what ArmA2's going to requier... that depends on a lot of things, most of which can't be awnsered yet. If the games look stay like it is are now... a PC that can play ArmA very well, will probly be fine for ArmA2 as right now ArmA2 looks just like ArmA. (Tho probly not on max settings).

But if your building a PC just for ArmA2... Id simply wait and see. Im sure if you bought a very high end PC right now, you'll be fine for ArmA2, but if you can... waiting would be your best bet.

Well, it's hard to say.

BIS is improving the graphics with parallax mapping, better lighting, and more. There is also going to be a major improvement in the AI.

On the other hand, they are still using the Arma engine, I believe BIS also mentioned that they discovered a technique that would make vegitation much less hardware expensive, but couldn't patch it in Arma because it required large engine changes.

Perhaps if that is added along with other optimization tweaks then ArmaII might run about as well as Arma.

I doubt ArmA II will require a much more powerful computer than ArmA. As stated about Pixel Shader 3.0 will be the minimum, but since that's an optimization in itself, and a slight rise in power of graphics cards from the lower end cards using Pixel Shader 2.0, I think that will cover the graphics on its own for "low to normal setting" users.

I think the CPU might need some more power than ArmA too, since they increase the exactness and ability of the AI.

However I haven't seen anything about dual core support, and as such using a quad core will probably reduce the smoothness of the game, since it still can only run on one core.

If we are lucky we'll get dual core support though, although I'm not believing that hard that they'll do such a massive recoding of the engine.

Quote[/b] ]Dualcore with at least 2x2Ghz, 2GB Ram, DX10 Capable Graphics Adapter like GF8800 Series.

This will be some lower mainstream in the next year but i dont think there will be some ultra rapid decrease of performence. If you can play arma on high details now you will probably play arma 2 on low/medium and that isnt so much difference.

lol thoes are probly not going to be the standards in a year... In a year, your standards will probly be on level with a high end PC right now, if they are even that high. Your "PC Standards" are normally a year or two behind the technology... what you listed will probly still be an extreamly high end PC a year from now.

Well, first im talking about gaming PC standards, and they are always "higher" compared to mainstream PCs..

Here are my reasons why i think my posted hardware will be at least a standard in gaming pc's at the end of 2008:

- Nividia brings GF9 Series probably in January 2008 and so eventually GF10 Series at autum or the near End of 2008.

- You already need a GF8800 + very fast or newer processor to play arma smooth in "high" details

And: the maximum Details in Arma is still unplayable on a OC'ed E6600 , GF8800GTS and 2GB DDR2-800 Ram! With that machine you can even play Crysis at full details pretty smooth!

- Dualcores are already a standard in all Mainstream and "low to medium" gaming pc's, even in cheaper laptops.

- Many of the todays hardcore or enthusiast gamers owns already intel Quadcores, not to mention what happend in 2008 when AMD comes with tricores and quadcores and intel raises quadcore-cache to 16MB

- 2GB DDR2 is already a standard, many hardcore or enthusiast gamers own 4GB or even more (im knowing some guys with 6GB)

Quote[/b] ]I'm wondering if DX10 will be required.

No, just shadermodell 3, which Nvidias GF79xx Series can do, but i bet with that graphics-adaptor, Arma2 will be not playable any smooth in something above "very low".

Regards, Christian

Quote[/b] ]

- You already need a GF8800 + very fast or newer processor to play arma smooth in "high" details

And: the maximum Details in Arma is still unplayable on a OC'ed E6600 , GF8800GTS and 2GB DDR2-800 Ram! With that machine you can even play Crysis at full details pretty smooth!

Im sorry, but you are wrong here. I can play Arma on maximum details just fine on my PC. It depends what "crap" you buy.

I have all components from Intel. Only GF8800gts 640mb wich is instaled is not.

PC speed depends on slowest part in it. It has to be really balanced to work correctly... You dont need 800mhz ram if your pipes dont allow him to work.

I'm wondering if DX10 will be required.

I hope that the game will optimated to High-End systems on release date. Directx 10 will be standart on PC gaming in next year so let game take full advantage of it. If PC version will be identifical to that console counter-part then it really should be multi procecced coz Xbox 360 does have multi cores and it will be nutty to make a game to machine which will not use its full power.

Quote[/b] ]

Im sorry, but you are wrong here. I can play Arma on maximum details just fine on my PC. It depends what "crap" you buy.

I have all components from Intel. Only GF8800gts 640mb wich is instaled is not.

PC speed depends on slowest part in it. It has to be really balanced to work correctly... You dont need 800mhz ram if your pipes dont allow him to work.

Lol, could you please post your hardware specs before you telling that "I'm wrong".

At my friends PC we had a very expensive Asus-deluxe-board, a watercooling to cool the oc'ed Core2Duo E6600 at 3.0Ghz, we had 2 Gigs of DDR2-800 Ram with very low latencys (dont remember brand), we had a slightly oc'ed GF8800GTS 640MB and two Raptor Harddrives. All under WinXP with newewst service-packs, newest drivers for all components and proper settings in Bios.

In Arma, we put everything on Maximum, including high AA and high Anisotropic filtering, sight-range to 7500m, resolution to 1280x1024 and tried.

South Sahrani with low Units was pretty smooth until you get in cities, but North Sahrani in woods or even worse in woods with one large squad the Frame Rate often dropped to be under 25FPS.

Very poor IMHO.

On the same machine he has currently Crysis running, with "hacked" DX10 under XP and the Game runs nearly always very very smooth compared to Arma.

So what now? What have we done wrong?

Quote[/b] ]I'm wondering if DX10 will be required.

No, just shadermodell 3, which Nvidias GF79xx Series can do, but i bet with that graphics-adaptor, Arma2 will be not playable any smooth in something above "very low".

I like the sound of this smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
I'm wondering if DX10 will be required.

I hope that the game will optimated to High-End systems on release date. Directx 10 will be standart on PC gaming in next year so let game take full advantage of it. If PC version will be identifical to that console counter-part then it really should be multi procecced coz Xbox 360 does have multi cores and it will be nutty to make a game to machine which will not use its full power.

At the moment, DX10's advantage over DX9 is improved graphics quality/effects at a significant performance cost, which is fine if is wasn't for the overheads of vista. I'm all for DX10, but not vista.

Quote[/b] ]sight-range to 7500m,

I dont know why you need to render 7500m.Game was released od default 1200m. It should be tested on that viewdistance. Trie it on normal viewdistance 1200. Its normal that PC knells if you give 7500m viewdistance.

Thx for the estimates. Would be nice with a official one aswell wink_o.gif

pc guy: hmmm, bzzzz think, think, 3.? Ghz, xxxx? ram, xp or vista dx10huh.gif dx9, Ati? Vivid, drivers bzzz 380W, 2nd silent fan ... remind me of buying extra Ram, couldn't hurt ... cash? cash?

360 guy: hmmm, let's see, i need ... 1 x 360. Hmm yep, that's it (and that is not easy seeing how MS manages to cripple the 360 with those mysterious RoD:)

Anyway, i'm not counting on a 360 version yet, even if BIS announced it. I hope BIS can pull it off in time, meaning end 2008 (but i have my doubts)

Quote[/b] ]pc guy: hmmm, bzzzz think, think, 3.? Ghz, xxxx? ram, xp or vista dx10huh.gif dx9, Ati? Vivid, drivers bzzz 380W, 2nd silent fan ... remind me of buying extra Ram, couldn't hurt ... cash? cash?

Perhaps one of the most Random posts i have ever seen tounge2.gif

IIRC ArmA 2 will be playable on a fast single core machine with high end dx 9 HW.

Quote[/b] ]pc guy: hmmm, bzzzz think, think, 3.? Ghz, xxxx? ram, xp or vista dx10huh.gif dx9, Ati? Vivid, drivers bzzz 380W, 2nd silent fan ... remind me of buying extra Ram, couldn't hurt ... cash? cash?

Perhaps one of the most Random posts i have ever seen  tounge2.gif

Yup, seeing the always popular 'what specs?' post i, as a 360 gamer, tried to contribute ... a miserable failure, i agree:P

(anyway, believe it or not but last week i saw a car in front of me with a numberplate saying 'DX10' hahaha, btw it was just a small crappy car from Luxemburg i guess, so nothing you would relate to the mighty DX10 gfx we are promised)

I didn't know they promised dx10.

Sorry, i didn't mean dx10 in ArmA2 but as in

'would relate to the mighty gfx DX10 promises to deliver'

I didn't know they promised dx10.

Sorry, i didn't mean dx10 in ArmA2 but as in

'would relate to the mighty gfx DX10 promises to deliver'

Thanks for the clarification!