Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

Animation suggestions thread

I'd like to see an animation used when:

- a player views their map (and maybe even dialogs) - to indicate they are occupied and viewing something in their hands,

(rather than being in a still combat pose staring into the distance).

Good ideas. I think having animations for everything, from taking out the compass (it should take a small time) and pressing buttons on the GPS is ideal, but far-fetched confused_o.gif

If you watched your watch in Boiling Point he would actually bring his arm up and you had to watch the watch on your arm, this may be hard to implement but small details like this bring immersion IMO. smile_o.gif

I remember this suggestions from ARMA (the first one) suggestions topic wink_o.gif . And to push that idea even further the map could be an ingame model just like in Vietcong game. This way in night missions you would need to find some source of light to actually see the map. The trouble with this kind of feature is that the map would be rather small and it wouldn't allow for a zoom (in and out) that are available in OFP/ARMA. But did you ever wondered if the fact that every member of a squad has an extremely detailed map which he can zoom in and out is realistic (especially in OFP - 1985)? I know that this can be disabled by mission maker and that some other maps can be given to players by for example dialogs but we are talking about engine solutions here, right?

Imagine struggling to look at the map in windy conditions. How immersive would that be?! Damn that'd be good.

i think very important more smoother, randomly variable ai moving animations (tactical moving, crouchig moving, change pose and direction animations, covering and reloading animations)

for example COD4 animation - very realistic and impressive....

sorry my engliz) but i really think this is very very important for realistic(again this word) atmosphere...

Like said in first post, animations are important.

They are eyecandy.. but they bring good feeling to the player and the game itself.

Some might say they are not important, but imo they can be seen as inspirations for future and better work, every little detail can inspire you to guild a better mission, addon, etc..

IMO this thread is important for those who intend to play this kinda game in the future.

(Last number i saw was 37)

38: Better leaning animations. ArmA leanning is very "soft" and almost does not change much. You can lean in a corner and nothing really changes because you have half body exposed to the enemy. Sometimes doesn't make much difference. The intension is there and good but it need to be reworked alittle.

39: Animation with binoculars.. The animations need to be more direct for the players.

Example: You are in prone position with binoculars, and you want to get up with them to get a better view.. it takes a while or executes alot of animations to see trough binoculars again.

ArmA anim does this: binocular->stand up->binocular->remove binocular->rigle->remove rifle->binocular.

Would it be possible?: binocular->stand up->binocular

Would be nice if tank crew could use Binoculars when they are in "turn out". Its very usefull/needed and not possible yet.

40: When vehicles with weels are destroyed and burnt, its really odd when the tires are like brand new. They should be melted and with a destroyed apperance.

41: Remember the finger anim on the trigger?.. (what an old memory and debate at that time..), would be nice to have an animation when we press the "V" key (to aim), ie, a closer anim to the snope or the iron sights. I have the feeling that in ArmA1 we miss an animation for that porpose. When player is in 1st person view you can see the body get closer to the rifle/weapon But if you notice or look to other player you can not see that animimation.´

42: I ask cause im not sure how good this could be for gameplay: Would be nice to have an animation when the player wants to see the Compass by using one hand?

For the binoculars, I think you should use them like a primary weapon (but with different animations).. so you can walk or run to whatever with them, and look through them using the sighting key.

43: I miss the old Cartridges on the ground that we had in OFP. Would be nice to have them back again or better. It's kinda odd they disapear instantaneously.

43: I miss the old Cartridges on the ground that we had in OFP. Would be nice to have them back again or better. It's kinda odd they disapear instantaneously.

That was never in vanilla OFP, it was modded in by several mods.

Oh, i didn't noticed it was not in vanilla OFP.. ^^

well could be a nice animation to add then smile_o.gif

edit:

44: I never understood why the GL on the tanks never worked.. they are there but never usable, Would it be possible to work in ArmA 2?

Oh, i didn't noticed it was not in vanilla OFP.. ^^

well could be a nice animation to add then smile_o.gif

edit:

44: I never understood why the GL on the tanks never worked.. they are there but never usable, Would it be possible to work in ArmA 2?

Adding support within OFP would have been more complicated, but there's no reason why they couldn't be pseudo-simulated functioning in ArmA now.

45: We already know that in ArmA2 we will be able to reload while walking. We saw that in a video.

Now my point is: Does this mean that we can also move while we are healing?

Im sure it already happened to you, once at least, and you end up beeing killed. Its frustrating and we are impotent in that moment. When you start to heal and right after that you saw a enemy... In this moment you can not move to hide while you are healing. Some times you are killed because the animation takes long to end.

The idea and question is: will we be able to exit the animation? will we be able to move in that specific time, to save our asses? Or will we have to deal with it till the rest of our days?

45: We already know that in ArmA2 we will be able to reload while walking. We saw that in a video.

Now my point is: Does this mean that we can also move while we are healing?

Im sure it already happened to you, once at least, and you end up beeing killed. Its frustrating and we are impotent in that moment. When you start to heal and right after that you saw a enemy... In this moment you can not move to hide while you are healing. Some times you are killed because the animation takes long to end.

The idea and question is: will we be able to exit the animation? will we be able to move in that specific time, to save our asses? Or will we have to deal with it till the rest of our days?

Don't get me wrong, but here even I would go: heal in a safer place. Don't heal in the middle of the gunfight, if you do, you retreat to a much safer place with your medic.

Thank you for your answer, but it doesn't resolve the particular problem i mentioned above.

EDIT: though the reloading while walking does solve the problem.

Im not sure if this subject should be in Animations tough..

I think it's not possible; but i say/ask it with hope that ArmA2 Engine is kinda different and more "Flexible" then ArmA1.

46: Will it be possible to have terrain deformation with ArmA2 Engine? (if not, why?)

Ie, when a bomb or a heavy shell hit the ground can the impact create a crate in the terrain? Even with the possibility to use it as cover.

I saw this interesting feature in an other game video.. and its very interesting tough.

Suggestion: It's a must feature.

Invite Capt. Dale Dye. (He might help)

edit: sorry for double post.

edit2: don't know if this helps: link, video

edit3: 47: When we fire and empty the MG mounted on the Hummer we can still see the bullets in box and weapon. Would be nice to have this animation fixed.

edit4: 48: Would be great to see pilot Legs animation also the Pedals and rodder Animation when pilots use them. I show what i mean example with pics..

collective.gifcyclic.gifrudder.gif

source

edit5: 49: Hope BIS don't forget to improve the animation of the rotor blades (shovels) while in movement. You can see the "crappy" effect while in the air on PC Games preview video.avi (49mb)

<ul>Current arma1 version (video), ie, strange effect.

Real V-22 OSPREY (video1)

Real V-22 OSPREY (video2)

Real V-22 OSPREY (video3)

Real V-22 OSPREY (video4)

Real V-22 OSPREY Crash (Video5)

Bump

V-22 OSPREY Video 6 (Impressive, it could be like this in ArmA2)

V-22 OSPREY

(Real: V-22 OSPRAY roll)

V-22 OSPREY Video 8 (check the NVision effect on the blades)

inlove.gif

edit1: typo

edit2: thanks MehMan, hope your right about ArmA2 video concern. Hope its also a visual distortion of the reality tounge2.gif

The reason why the osprey rotors look wierd is because of the recording software, ingame it looks fine. Just ask Gnat or RKSL, you can see the same thing in their vids, but the problem is in the recording.

50: I still think we should be able to walk slowly with binoculars on. There should be an animation for this purpose. Its very useful. This subject was already discussed for ArmA1 and there was no satisfied conclusion nor resolution for this "problem / lack".

If you can lean with binoculars on, why not walk with them some meters for better visual? huh.gif

51: Some days ago i was surfing the net and found a video where in a M1A1 or M1A2 gunner/commander position they had their rifles and riflesGL handy and ready to use in CQB.

It was already said by Devs. that players will not be able to move in vehicles, but they will possibly be able to fire from them.. (fair enough)

I suggest BIS include that tank gunners & commanders be able to use their rifles for short contacts if needed. Though maybe not allow AIs to do so, for the following reason. Something similar when AIs change to pistol and never turn back to weapon again thumbs-up.gif (else it gets fixed)

Walk up to a ladder, keep walking=start climbing without the lengthy shouldering animation.. see almost any other game for details.

52:

Very small thing im sure you guys will think, but when will a animation be added to the drivers hands when he is steering a vehicle biggrin_o.gif It looks silly to see a steering wheel spinning while the hands are static.

This is a good suggestion...

53: don't expect worst then this: (AI moving for cover video)

54. Being Able to interupt animations by presing movement keys. I hate being stuck in the open whilst i reload, or get shot during a movement then dying after the animation, loks really tacky.

#3 is a myth though. now personally i havent been shot in real life but there have been several tests & research about bullet impacts and the fact is that bullets dont make you fly 1 meter. maybe if it was a 125mm SABOT and you were made of solid steel but sadly thats not reality. and im sure your grandfather said this and that but ive heard of a lot of war veterans who like to spice up their stories.

55. Simulate recoil on all appropriate static weapons.

56. Make machine gunners and snipers hold their

weapons correctly. No more machine gunners with their left

hand jammed up the ejection slot (ouch! crazy_o.gif), or snipers

holding their rifles by the trigger guard.

57. Better simulate the use of a bipod for the player.

Weapons resting on bipods, in my experience (mostly MGs in

the light role), sit rock steady - the experience of using such

a weapon in ArmA presently is totally unrealistic.

58. Make the pistol recoil animations much more

realistic. Here I mean the way it behaves in your hands

when fired, not the slide animation.

58. Make the pistol recoil animations much more

realistic. Here I mean the way it behaves in your hands

when fired, not the slide animation.

You mean the way it looks as if he's holding a baseball bat instead of pistol?

59. Fluid stance like Raven shield would be nice.... Theres such a large difference between standing and prone, taking proper cover can get to be annoying. Its probably too late for that though.

Great topic, I was always thinking why Armed Assault is so poor with animations. Even my friends (they are maniacs of FPS like GRAW) asked me why (hehehehe...) BIS is too lazy to make game full on animations to everything. It's not my opinion but I agree that anims should be added.

60. Animation when FALLING from high! Aaaa... biggrin_o.gif

61. Sky diving before opening parachute and a steerable parachute of course.

62. ANIMATED weapons god d@mn. And a reloading animation like in FPS games, I mean... Soldier put out magazine, changes and put in a new one. In arma, soldiers are magicians and make magazine dissapear!

63. I saw it's already made on one film but Im not sure so I will say - Mobile reloading.

64. Maybe some animations like in FFN mod? I mean Dodge.