Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Sprint and Animation fixer

So, I hate to come across as a total noob, but I am still unsure as to what this fixes.  I don't mean to be a dick, because if theres something being fixed thats a problem, I am of course, incredibly grateful.  smile_o.gif

But, I guess I'm unsure as to what was wrong...  The standing animations and such never looked wrong to me... any one get a video or something showing a before and after maybe?  sad_o.gif

Haha, I'm sorry, but this must be something I am just TOTALLY oblivious to!

smile_o.gif

Thanks!

mainly the problem of broken anime between crouching => sprint and such, notice that the anime is much smoother then it used to with this fix

Thank you Sakura-Chan !!!

It really makes ARMA behave like a new game.  Seems more responsive than before.

No more running up to a corner to just keep going (to my death) pistols.gif

Cheers,

Ed

So, next step : is it possible to make the transitions a tad faster? smile_o.gif

I forgot the premise : Thanks a bunch for this!

sweet, i'll see if i can test this after school, got arma on my school comp but no playing arma on school hours tounge2.gif

Hi, will be possible to allow the players or even the AI's to reload

while moving?; that's something that i really miss alot and that could

save alot of lives, because reload in the middle of a street with a

RPKM firing at you and prey for don't be hited... don't works. Let's C ya

At the moment the animation system doesn't allow that as far as I know. However it seems from the demo videos that it'll be sorted out in ArmA 2.

I'm glad everyone liked it! I can fix both of those problems Q, I'll post a fixed pbo after I get off of work (I'm on lunch). I'll also try to fix the binocular problem. Just something I was thinking about- During the making of this mod I learned a lot about the way arma handles animations. I think it might be possible to make a separate animation set that could be applied to an ordinary unit through the mission editor. For example, you could have units with rifle/grenade launcher combos holding thier hands in the correct position, or using a special reload animation, removing crouch or prone, or changing speeds and using custom lean variables. It would involve having the animations defined in a stand alone pbo, and having the unit 'switchmove' to the new animation's starting point (standing up with the first weapon available). The animation sets or 'actions' link back and forth to each other. When you are standing with a rifle, you can run around and never leave the standing rifle action set. When you use an animation like crouching, it starts a separate set of animations. This way no matter what you do, the unit couldn't excape a custom set of animations because it would constantly be re-linking to itself. It would require a lot of config work but you would only have to do it once and use it over and over again. Just something to contemplate...

Ohh so it means we can have like animations pack addons biggrin_o.gif

making soldiers do taunt gestures in combat to the enemies and stuff? nener.gif

but seriously thats some intresting stuff, hope you keep working on some of the ideas. smile_o.gif

would be cool with a diving animation of some sort when you hit the water or for some under water diver action.

And another cool thingy would be a rock climbing animation so the game would show why soldiers walk so slowly uphill from steef cliffs. The soldiers should really have a climb rock animation instead imo instead of the sneak / slow walk anim that can make new players think wtf?! tounge2.gif Just some ideas and praise. Have a nice weekend! thumbs-up.gif

At the moment the animation system doesn't allow that as far as I know. However it seems from the demo videos that it'll be sorted out in ArmA 2.

I was thinking about a "quick and dirty" way, ie keeping current anim (no leg movements) but allowing some speed movement on it (the guy would be "sliding" on the ground)

Hi, will be possible to allow the players or even the AI's to reload

while moving?; that's something that i really miss alot and that could

save alot of lives, because reload in the middle of a street with a

RPKM firing at you and prey for don't be hited... don't works. Let's C ya

ArmA not allow to reload while walking YET, but since ARMA2 have the same engine why can't we reload while walking/run?

@Sakura-chan: since you have the ability to do this kinda fixes and beautiful transformations in the game can you do this fix too? Is it possible in ArmA?

I think this should be the next step to include in these ideas smile_o.gif

Loved your ideas!

I'm glad everyone liked it! I can fix both of those problems Q, I'll post a fixed pbo after I get off of work (I'm on lunch). I'll also try to fix the binocular problem. Just something I was thinking about- During the making of this mod I learned a lot about the way arma handles animations. I think it might be possible to make a separate animation set that could be applied to an ordinary unit through the mission editor. For example, you could have units with rifle/grenade launcher combos holding thier hands in the correct position, or using a special reload animation, removing crouch or prone, or changing speeds and using custom lean variables. It would involve having the animations defined in a stand alone pbo, and having the unit 'switchmove' to the new animation's starting point (standing up with the first weapon available). The animation sets or 'actions' link back and forth to each other. When you are standing with a rifle, you can run around and never leave the standing rifle action set. When you use an animation like crouching, it starts a separate set of animations. This way no matter what you do, the unit couldn't excape a custom set of animations because it would constantly be re-linking to itself. It would require a lot of config work but you would only have to do it once and use it over and over again. Just something to contemplate...

If this can work then another thing I'll be needing!

Nice fixes from you sakura san. Looking forward to get some proper mod which will include all this small fixes and will be used in MP.

Lots of cool new animation ideas everybody! biggrin_o.gif

@Sakura-chan: If you or anyone else starts to implement any of these "extras", please consider keeping one version with just the fixed default ArmA anims (i.e. no extras).  That way those of us who like all the new shiney anim features that go beyond just the fix can be happy, while any of us who don't prefer all the extras can still enjoy the basic fix.  wink_o.gif

So, next step : is it possible to make the transitions a tad faster? smile_o.gif

I forgot the premise : Thanks a bunch for this!

I tried out the fixes last night, and man oh man was I impressed... like a whole new game!  With all respect for other opinions, imo the transition speeds are perfect as is... start speeding things up and it gets arcade-like.

Just get those last couple core fixes in place (including jog to sprint pointed out earlier by Q) and we'll be all set.  Thanks a million for bringing this game back from the grave for me! pistols.gif

Yeah, if you could allow moving while reload, that would rule. I'm okay with just seeing the person sliding along. Same with using binoculars and moving? But if adding these discourages BIS from incorporating your addon into 1.09 then don't add it.

What I would like to see more than anything is custom animations for the different weapon types, including the positioning of the hand atop a machinegun whilst prone or the placement of the hand onto the underbarrel of a grenade launcher. This same-animation-for-every-weapon-mentality has gotten old quickly. While I understand there are differences between the ArmA engine and others, it is ridiculous that we were told back in 2005/06 that we would no longer have to suffer this plight and yet are still forced to "deal with it."

So please, Sakura, do what you are able to help make ArmA somewhat more of the game it deserves to be.

- dRb

MAN that would be awesome to reload while moving like SO many games already do...

You should be able to while walking, and if running it should take a little longer till you slow down or somethin.

Hi, reload while running or walking will be great, but you can't really

or you shouldn't... reload while sprinting, that will make it longer

and by force will not allow you to sprint at all; i think that reload

while sprinting should switch you to running and then reload at

the default speed or just don't reload until that you run instead

sprint. Let's C ya

Very nice indeed , something that makes it a lot more realistic and fluid.

Great Job smile_o.gif

Hi again,

As reload while moving probably isn't possible until ARMA2 how about?>>>

Would it be possible to change from LAW (or RPG) to rifle quickly? Perhaps by dropping the launcher to make it realistic.

So annoying when you've fired a rocket and some guy walks around the corner. So you put away the launcher and change to rifle as he lines you up in his sights... BANG ... never enough time banghead.gif

Cheers,

Ed

Hi again,

As reload while moving probably isn't possible until ARMA2 how about?>>>

Would it be possible to change from LAW (or RPG) to rifle quickly? Perhaps by dropping the launcher to make it realistic.

So annoying when you've fired a rocket and some guy walks around the corner. So you put away the launcher and change to rifle as he lines you up in his sights... BANG ... never enough time banghead.gif

Cheers,

Ed

I think animation breakout in general is this addon's big breakthrough. I can see how breaking out of a running animation to a stopping animation can be possible, but I think this might need extra code.

To break out of a change weapon animation to change to another weapon seems to be counter-intuitive at first biggrin_o.gif I don't see how you would code it to be useful in an instant of panic. You still need to drop the current weapon, and you still need to get the other weapon out. Insta-change weapons will be a cheat.

Plus, at what stage of the animation do you stop having the LAW as your weapon and start having the rifle? If you panic say three-quarters of the way through a change weapon animation, your current weapon might already be a rifle right? Just not up & ready just yet. If you panic and use a new "drop current weapon & grab another" function you might be compounding this even more.

Here's my two cents on the whole reloading while walking running thing.

Reload while walking is probably ok...

But reloading while jog or sprint is very unrealistic imo. whistle.gif

In any event, if anything like this ever gets implemented, please keep the release seperate from the basic fix, so we all happy. smile_o.gif

Can you fix the crawling speed? Right now it seems that it doesnt matter if I "walk", "run" or "sprint". In OFP you could crawl slow and fast, only fast crawl affected your fatigue.

Here's my two cents on the whole reloading while walking running thing.

Reload while walking is probably ok...

But reloading while jog or sprint is very unrealistic imo. whistle.gif

In any event, if anything like this ever gets implemented, please keep the release seperate from the basic fix, so we all happy. smile_o.gif

Reloading while jogging isn't any problem really. Even the automatic riflemen and machinegunners can do that, even though it admittedly is starting to get tricky.

As for reloading while sprinting it requires more training, but some nations do use that as common practice to keep the firepower up as soon as one is stationary, and then reload while moving when you are supposed to have someone to cover your ass.

I'm fairly sure UK practices reloading during sprint to maximize effectiveness from bounding overwatch.