Sign in to follow this  
sputnik monroe

Video options question

I just received ARMA as a gift and am trying to get into the game. However when ever I look in the general direction of the sun it becomes way too bright, I'd say on my computer about 25% to 33% of the sky is blinding pure white. It's like the sun is to close to the earth or something. When I look away from the sun it gets too dark, about the only time it looks just right is if I look straight down at my feet. Now for me this is a major problem is it gives me a bad headache after 10 minutes or so.

Is this glare effect DDR? If so is it possible my video card just cannot handle it and that's why it's so over powered?

I guess most of all, is there a way to turn it off? I really want to like this game but I have trouble enjoying anything when I get a headache and my retinas are burned out.

Please help

Go to your my documents/ArmA folder and open ArmA.cfg, look at the line HDRPrecision= and change it to HDRPrecision=16;

This way its not annoying but there is a small decrease in performance.

(There is also a sun mod which gets rid of all the 'white stuff' )

For me there is no change between 8, 16 or 32. It's always same sh*tty HDR ruining my game-experience. If BIS wanted it to be hard-coded, why not code it well instead of giving us a too overreacting piece of sh*t.

Quote[/b] ]Go to your my documents/ArmA folder and open ArmA.cfg, look at the line HDRPrecision= and change it to HDRPrecision=16;

This way its not annoying but there is a small decrease in performance.

(There is also a sun mod which gets rid of all the 'white stuff' )

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that HDRPrecision= thing a shot and see how it works. Where could I find the sun mod?

Get the excellent GDTModSun by HeinBloed!

Quote[/b] ]This Addon reduces the sun glare.

me thinks the sun'z is good's enough'z.

if you be outside'z and looks at the sun, I'm sure you wont be able to look at the sun for that long either wink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gif

This is very dependent on what type of GPU you have, before I had a gt6600 and everything was constantly going so bright that I could hardly see crap. Then I got a gt6800 and as far as I can recall it was fairly okay. Now however I have a 8800gts and sometimes I can't see crap at night despite using NVG's and there being artificial lights (such as street lights, car lights etc) present.

oyman read what Opteryx said very diligently wink_o.gif

ps:

ArmA is a game as a hint.

Quote[/b] ]THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I DONT PLAY THIS GAME

Same here now it seems. I just cannot get this thing to act fun. Night is insane, the AI doesn't have night vision goggles but they can see me like I'm glowing in the dark and the size of a barn. They never miss a shot at night over huge distances. I cannot see them with night vision and they can see me with out it and it's so dark you can't even see your own hands in front of your face.

I can't deal with the migraines from the sun at all. I'm still messing with settings and trying to get it right but Sheesh.

If real life was like ARMA I'd likely elect to put my eyes out.

attemptimg to replicate (within reason)the same in this sim as i do in real world settings, i have found it much more enjoyable. and what used to be an "issue" for me..no longer is. just like real life...dont look at the sun, in this sim.

whether HDR is buggy, or not, or if it is hardware issues, i learned to adapt how to not be affected by its suns"blinding personality". in game and real life, dont look towards the sun, if you must look in general direction, find resources to protect your eyes.

if you cant find a hard fix, i would suggest adapting real world values into it, that you apply in daily life. it may not be the perfect solution you want, but at least the actions are "accurate" to real world counterparts to some degree.

* i use a LARGE fresnel lens, which makes it EXTREMELY BRIGHT (AND LARGE) .. i stopped having problems getting blinded this way in game*

That HDR implementation makes Nvg`s near to useless, and i really want an fucking option to turn it off completely.

To implement HDR hardcoded, was one of worst ideas BI had for ArmA. banghead.gif

small bump sorry

I have just got my new system and after getting everything working (next gen software seems rushed) I think I have my game looking like playing on the moon while being chased by an enormous magnifiying glass.

Never had any trouble with HDR on my nvidia 6800go I now have an Ati 2900 XT, is this an ati problem?

That HDR implementation makes Nvg`s near to useless, and i really want an fucking option to turn it off completely.

To implement HDR hardcoded, was one of worst ideas BI had for ArmA. banghead.gif

They had to because the arma world is workign with realistic light values rather than 0 to 100 percent brightness values of the monitor.  The two systems aren't compatible.  Arma has a sliding scale of 0 to 100 percent monitor brightness within a scale of realistic light values... so, say, 0 to 10000.  So, the monitor can only display 100 tones, but there are 10000 tones available.. so the program slides the 0 to 100 scale up and down the 0 to 10000 scale based on what the brightest tone being displayed at the current time is.

[0---------------[monitor's range]-------------------10000]

[0[monitor's range]----------------------------------------]

[0---------------------------------[monitor's range]-10000]

Very crudely, something like that.  Anything beneathe the monitor's range will be black, and anything above it will be white.  If course, it's more complex than that, but that's the general idea.  You can't have it not hardcoded, because the basis of the rendering engine is using more values than your monitor can display!

I don't mind the HDR implementation at all. The sun glare might be a bit over the top for some, but staring into the sun in real life tends to wash out details. I prefer the ArmA implementation of sunglare over Crysis completely missing effect (medium settings). So, all good for me here. As for NVGoggles, they should have the possibility to set manual gain. However, it makes using flares a bit more important. In real life, flares can be used strategically to wash out enemy night vision systems. In ArmA, you can use flares to complement night vision goggles.

My biggest issue is sight distance. My squadmates are calling out enemies, but there is no way they could do that based on the fog & rain setting used.

This doesn't really contribute to the thread, but how can people complain that the Sun blinds them? Try it in real life, you'll have much the same effect. I don't know about where you live but where I live the Sun is failry bright you know.

I'm not complaining about the WORKING HDR, but at this point I have a not good working HDR implementation in my game. I used to have a good working game on my notebook, but it died and I wanted to go future proof with next gen hardware.

Now I have as I said earlier a HDR effect that looks like playing on the moon while chased by a magnifying glass burning a hole in the ground.

ALL IS WHITE! I will reinstall arma but if this problem stays I will try and record it so you know how it looks when its bugged

EDIT: After clean reinstal I now do not have this problem anymore smile_o.gif

THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I DONT PLAY THIS GAME

AMAZING. I've heard people giving on games due to performance or boredom..but brightness? wink_o.gif

There are times when the light goes a bit odd for me,but its' usually the sun catching my eyes through a gap in a few tree's or buildings that's giving it the odd effect.

I really like the HDR effect as it gives what's aimed to be a War Simulator game a good amount of simulation when it comes to effects smile_o.gif

I have the HDR problem of everything being darker a little bit while playing but brighten up how I like it when I look at my feet. Is there a fix for this?

Quote[/b] ]I have the HDR problem of everything being darker a little bit while playing but brighten up how I like it when I look at my feet. Is there a fix for this?
Same here,it's really annoying!Is there really nothing we could do about it? help.gif