Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Visitor 3 Quick Tutorial

is it correct that surface cluter (like small rock , grass etc ) have all a fixed RGB value ?

if i want get grass on my island, i must know this rgb value. right ?

or is it decided by the texture used ?

can i make appears small desert rock on grass ?

i don't understand...

whistle.gif

is it correct that surface cluter (like small rock , grass etc ) have all a fixed RGB value ?

if i want get grass on my island, i must know this rgb value. right ?

or is it decided by the texture used ?

can i make appears small desert rock on grass ?

i don't understand...

whistle.gif

This involves playing with the config.cpp... which I would also like to know how to do without messing up the config tounge2.gif

I followed the tutorial, and now in game there is an airfield rectangle displayed in the map view. There were also some palm trees, but I already got rid of them. Since I don't have any plans to have one, is it possible to get rid of the airstrip? I deleted the ILS lines, but that didn't remove the rectangle.

If you remove the lines that define the airfield the rpt will complain about it.

Better to instead edit them thus:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

ilsPosition[] = {0,0,0};

ilsDirection[] = {0,0.08,1};

ilsTaxiIn[] = {};

ilsTaxiOff[] = {};

Planck

Ok, I did that. The auto landing option is then still available, only that the plane lands into sea outside the map. biggrin_o.gif But that is okay for now, maybe I'll mark some flat corn field as emergency airstrip later on.

Can you add this to the tutorial:

Select and object (or group of objects) either in Visitor or in Buldozer. Once in Buldozer (the viewer), hold the mouse button down. Select PageUp to move the object up. Select PageDown to move the object down. If you are zoomed in, it will move the object a small amount. If you are zoomed out, it will move the object a large amount.

Multiple objects (when selected as a group) can be moved vertically simultaneously.

for the 1st time i was looking at this thread.. smile_o.gif

well i must say its not easy when we know zero.

heres my 1st try out of, took me 3 hours crazy_o.gif

Pic 1 (719.58 KB)

Please don't get too much offended.. please understand that this was my 1st try and 1st time i used those programs smile_o.gif

edit: note that i copy and used an image from google wink_o.gif

The spikes looks like pixel noise in the height-map combined with a big interval between the max and min height in the .pbl. Try reducing the interval and smoothing your heightmap with something like Gaussian blur.

There could also be other reasons for it too.

err.. ok.. i need some practice and maybe i need to reread the tutorial again.

Tough i did not get any error when i started arma, hihi ^^

Ill have another try when i have more free time smile_o.gif

edit: these were the real pics i used:

Sat_LCO.jpg

Mask_LCO.jpg

This is one proper ace tutorial, Opteryx. Thanks, mate. notworthy.gif

Having problems finding some .rvmat files though. What noob error am I doing? banghead.gif

Bravo 6 don't use an image like that for the heightfield... not going to work like that! No wonder you got so spiky terrain...

And by the way 3 hours is nothing, really. You are in for a very rough ride if you think that an island is fast to do.

Read the Wiki articles about terrain editing. To me it almost looks like you skipped them.

Daniel @ Dec. 28 2007,16:40)]EDIT2: Ok, new problem: I've made my island, it works fine in bulldozer with full texures. However, I don't get any terrain textures in game, with this error message:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5229/erroree6.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

[CAS] Daniel did you solve your problem? how?

I have similar error yesterday..

It wasn't until Agamoth helped me out that I got everything working.

I put my map folder directly under P:\ and deleted my layers folder.

Adjust the path in the rvmats for your base textures, they should be in the  P:\yourisland\data\ folder. The rvmats should read once you start the project in P:\ "yourisland\data\Omahamesto2_mco.paa" etc. for each of the different textures that are base textures.

Reimport your satmask, layers and mask. Fire up bulldozer, let it convert from png to paa, once done, press save(just for fun) and then export the world to WRP. Shutdown Visitor and bulldozer, go to the P: drive, and remove everything but the data folder, the yourisland.WRP and the config.cpp, pbo the "yourisland" folder. Make sure you've change the config.cpp to your island name, and you've changed the path in the config.cpp to the WRP to "yourisland\yourisland.wrp"

Once you start looking at binarizing and releasing it, you can look at using binPBO...i don't know about that part.

If you start the project under (using Allies tutorial and Opteryx's island config) P:\ you don't have to mess with the rvmats in the data\layers folder and you just pbo it, run it ingame.

[Tip]

-Don't foget to re-export the World to WRP while bulldozer is running after the re-import of your sat mask, layers and mask.

-paths should not have a \ at the beginning, "\yourisland\data\layers" is not a correct path, but "yourisland\data\layers" is the right path.

-Adding ca\ to the beginning of the path, I think(just guessing) will cause problems because in ARMA, the CA folder is a global location ie: where the plants and stuff are stored, not in your islands pbo. It should be, (you'll need to start out in P:\ with your project) "yourisland\" to start the path.

Hope that helps  smile_o.gif

edit: simplified and explained a little more. Thanks to opteryx and Allie for their tutorials!

After i import my terrain, when i go to try and launch bulldozer it says "The Parameter is Incorrect". What could that be?

I seem to have a problem, when I decompress a map PBO file I don't see ANY RVMAT files or PNGs, just PAA files. I also downloaded the BIS sample map and looked in there after decompressing, no RVMAT files there either. Is there something wrong with my de-PBOing procedure? Just using the Kegetys tools de-PBOing app.

PNG's are source files, like TGA's when working with models. There should be RVMAT's in the addon\data\layers folder though, if not there's something wrong.

Yeah I eventually found some in the BIS sample map, I hadn't realised it comes in both PBO and pre-PBO versions, so all RVMATs and PNGs are all there. However when I manually un-PBOd the sample map I only got the PAA files, not any RVMAPs.

However, I got enough to be getting on with smile_o.gif

I've looked through several pages of this thread looking for the answer but I haven't found it yet . . . when I unpbo Sara.pbo (or any other island), I find all 3 .paa files for each of the textures, but I can't find the .rvmat files. There are a bunch of .rvmat files in the Layers subdirectory of the Data directory, but none of them correspond to the base textures.

Where do i find the .rvmats for each texture, like for example pisek.rvmat or mesto.rvmat ?

Is this in some SDK that I need to download from somewhere?

I am using cpbo's shell integration to unpbo, if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Haha, how about that, the post right above mine was about the same thing. My bad, but still, the issue remains - why on earth are they not showing up when we unpbo? huh.gif

Hi dwringer, looks like we have the same issue smile_o.gif

I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that .rvmat files are the only files with a 4-character extension?

Is anyone alble to post up all the terrain RVMAT files for us poor 3 letter extension pilgrims? smile_o.gif

I simply copied, renamed and edited the rvmat files that came with the sample map to work with the PAA files I extracted from the sara.pbo.

I simply copied, renamed and edited the rvmat files that came with the sample map to work with the PAA files I extracted from the sara.pbo.

Yeah that's what I'll be doing too. Except I'll probably make my own textures. (There are some things I can do wink_o.gif)