Sign in to follow this  
abs

Discussion: Island Objects

Hi,

I'm posting to find out how interested addon makers would be in a collaborative effort regarding island objects. The idea behind this is that new islands will be released soon enough, and looking at the default Sahrani stuff may get old after a while. My proposal is that a bunch of addon makers get together and make one or two buildings a month revolving around a certain theme. At the end of that month, all the models get added into a pack and then released.

For example, a particular month may have a "middle eastern" theme, and the addon makers would make a middle eastern style building of their choice and submit it. Then the pack would be organized and released. This way, any island creators making a middle eastern island will be spared the efforts of having to make 20 - 30 buildings on their own.

I'd be interested in hearing input from any other addon makers...I'd be willing to pop out an addon or two a month...certainly buildings should be easier than creating vehicles and probably won't take up as much time.

Any thoughts?

Abs

Yes, I am in the process of making a huge ME themed urban terrain and I am in desperate need of some ME like buildings, preferably low poly. I don't really have much more to say really hehe.

when I eventually learn the tools, i will be VERY glad to help!!!!!

Here's an example of why we need more ME like buildings:

Euro like buildings:

eurbldus0.jpg

Okay maybe some objects in this image are not buildings, but most are.

ME like buildings.

mebldtj5.jpg

I for one think this is a great idea. I know for a fact that at least one Island maker is holding off due to the lack of wartorn/ruined buildings. And I'm stil scratching for time to learn how to make the stuff to a reasonable quality.

So there's another genre to add to your list Abs

I also think that that islands are more likely to benifit from the range of ideas and styles that come from a group of addon makers rather than just one.

One problem: if multiple addonmakers make one building each then each building will have a separate texture.

In case of ME buildings I'd rather have a set of, say 5 or 10 buildings that will share one 2048x2048 texture.

Another thing is the use of normal and detail maps.

In my oppinion nonreflective and static objects don't really need a normal map, just occlusion map added to exture to make it look real. Detail maps however can add a lot of texture, but are not totally necessery.

I have another question: there are people who have skills to make models and textures but no idea how to add propper LODs and configs for ArmA. If someone made a set of ME-style buildings models with nice, single 2048x2048 texture would there be someone willing to take the 3ds model and make an addon out of it?

I use to think the exact same thing Abs.

I use to be a very fast building maker, here are some pics of the buildings I've made, there is much more than this.

Most of them have geo lod and some res lod.

Poly number is optimized, but texture aren't really.

I always thought I 'd write a tutorial some day

"a beautifull buiding in 5 hours" biggrin_o.gif

build7dv1.jpg

build2ln8.jpg

build3sk5.jpg

build4to3.jpg

build8qn6.jpg

build6yt7.jpg

In the past, I tried so set up a building maker team, but

unfortunately people seem to prefer working 100 hours on a shitty tank or m4 than 10 hours on a nice building that could look very professional because it uses RL pictures and actaully be of some use...

I 'd gladly give all my work, my ref pics and some help to a serious team if it ever comes up.

cheers,

simba

i wonder why cant Agent Smith come and covert his building packs to Arma? And also mapfact made a bunch of cool stuff like baracks and object packs and mines and stuff that added to missions inlove.gif

Let's not forget the need for bunkers and fighting positions either. Tactical Targets are important as well, things like Radar Sites, Harden Aircraft Shelters, Command and Control bunkers, etc.

These look very impressive Simba!

I think the reason is that most people are affraid of texturing. Texturing a building is much harder.

Quote[/b] ]I think the reason is that most people are affraid of texturing. Texturing a building is much harder.

Hi Panda,

Do you mean harder than modelling it, or harder than texturing a tank or a weapon ?

Maybe a more structured approach would make for a more efficient pack. I would suggest that first off a texture pack be made up so that the colour spaces, tones, RVMAPs etc can all be matched into one texture pack?

It means a lot of work before the main part of the work smile_o.gif but to get a professional look means getting the textures to look like they belong together.

I suggest that people who make their buildings go ahead & make them as normal, but before releasing them they either choose textures from a central texture source, or donate a new texture to the central source and allow it to become part of the resource. That way a lid can be kept on the amount of textures the game needs to load.

Quote[/b] ]I suggest that people who make their buildings go ahead & make them as normal, but before releasing them they either choose textures from a central texture source, or donate a new texture to the central source and allow it to become part of the resource. That way a lid can be kept on the amount of textures the game needs to load.

I see it nearly the same way:

one of big Arma site would host a big set of pictures (hundreds),

these could be posted by anyone, BUT it must be

filtered by some people who would chose the one that could fit the job and organize them in projects.

selection criteria should be roughly :

- large enough.

- no shadows.

- relatively interesting.

- not 100 times the same.

- grey sky pics.

- the set is complete enough to make en entire buidling

or contains usefull general pictures ( roof, concrete, floors,...)

Our friends from real pics thread could on their way to shot birds and flowers biggrin_o.gif , make some buildings pics.

That could already be a good source, and from some pretty good photographers.

Of course anyone who wants to make his own building, only has to submit his pics but mark them as "in project".

This way, even people that don't have much time, skills or don't own a camera could once in a while release a good building

and give it for integresion in a one of the main packs (desert, industrial, snow,...)

Arma community would be gratefull for their work.

just my 2 cents whistle.gif

i dont remember djfrogstars website adress , but him and DBO_brick was working on middeleast before they left .

here is a density test dbo sent me of 8500 buildings on afghanistan Kabul using v3 .

townec0.jpg

no idea ,there was a small video , it was merely a density test to see what kind of acceptable limits was for framerate and island loading times, i know since then djfrogstar made many more buildings . as for as i am aware dbo is working on a destructable everything single player campaign and djfrogstars working on a film in iraq. if i find any info i will let you know by pm.

HERE is a density test I did today on the map I'm working on.

Sadly I did not count the objects, view distance is around 7/8000 meters, I also tried doubling the objects and still had a decent FPS.

HERE is a density test I did today on the map I'm working on.

Sadly I did not count the objects, view distance is around 7/8000 meters, I also tried doubling the objects and still had a decent FPS.

Hmm yeah someone linked me to that earlier today. Very interesting smile_o.gif

i dont remember djfrogstars website adress , but him and DBO_brick was working on middeleast before they left .

they left? the comm.?

Whats the reason? sad_o.gif

Hi, those buildings and ruins are amazing Panda, i hope to see 'em

released someday, they can bring alot more of "life" to the enviroment

where we walk in ArmA, that's currently "a bit" poor.

And i never did it, but i think that texture a building, must be easyer

than texture a weapon and over all a tank; at least a non enterable

building, but as i've said... i never did it. Let's C ya

Hi, those buildings and ruins are amazing Panda

That's Simba in this case.

@Simba - harder than modelling ofcourse and pretty hard compared to weapons.

With weapons there is no trouble - just make lowpoly&hipoly models (relatively easy) render normal map and ambient occlusion. Add colors to ambient occlusion and few white letters (usually) and you're done.

Now with the buildings you need to be a painting artist - they have a lot of weathering, dust, cracks etc. not to mention attempts to add roughtness.

As for bank - as I allready said - a detail map bank would be better. Detail map is a tiled semi-transparent texture that is laid over the normal texture to add details in higher resolution.

Then, with the per-face material settings O2 offers, we could use textures with only simple colors and shading and the details (for example "bricks" pattern or cracks on concrete floor) would come from detail map from the base.

Well if this ball gets rolling, an we get texturers and config writers on board I'll be happy to contribute what I can.

I have no problem with models and the various LODS but still know diddly sqat about the rest. And I'm not really looking forward to  banghead.gif trying to learn it all with my limited available time.

Oh and here's something I could add if it passes whatever criterior will be needed

Youtube:

Browsing the BIS files I found out tooday they do not merge textures for buildings most of the time. crazy_o.gif

Perhabs the buildings models and textures are preloaded so there is no such need?

Just letting you guys know.