Sign in to follow this  
HTL

Where to play MP as a newb?

Have played ARMA SP for a month now, thinking about trying out MP.

Any tips on sever where I can learn/practice MP?

I use mods: NWD_Ballistics v1.53 / NWD_ScopeFix v2.2 can I play MP with these mods or is it considered cheating?

Have played ARMA SP for a month now, thinking about trying out MP.

Any tips on sever where I can learn/practice MP?

Here is how I did it:

First of all, get a headset and Teamspeak2 http://www.goteamspeak.com/.

Next, depending on your residence and mother tongue, find a ArmA clan or community which looks likable to you. (You can surprisingly accurate tell by the diction of their websites.)

Connect onto their TS2-Server and tell how it is and that you are new into MP. Most probably they will you help you starting.

Quote[/b] ]

I use mods: NWD_Ballistics v1.53 / NWD_ScopeFix v2.2 can I play MP with these mods or is it considered cheating?

Most probably yes. But again, these questions are better handled on a case-to-case basis on the TS chat with the guys you are playing with.

If you feel lucky, you can skip all the above steps and just hop onto some public server. From what I can tell by reading this forum, this can be a rude awakening though. wink_o.gif

It doesn't need any special preparations. Coop is like singleplayer with human teammates and the chatbox is usually enough. You can join any CTF or DM game without worries, people don't mind if you suck at first as long as you don't teamkill.

Thanks for the tips SeppSchort.

Have to get me a headset with a mike.

Going to look around for a European/Scandinavian Clan I can join.

Celery, you now of any CTF servers I should try out tonight?

Well HTL your more than welcome to come to the FPC server we only play CTF maps and DM maps or drop a line on the forums at.

www.flashpointcharlies.co.uk

yeah FPC is a good place to play CTF! wink_o.gif

Shark Team, SBS and DYN are good ones too.

Last but not least is the MCY GAY BAR a nice place too, If a Mercenary is around to do the admin job! :P

Look here to see what is played atm, or when a round has started, cause most CTF servers will be closed if enough players have connected.

Have fun in multiplayer and give it a bit time till you have found the correct game-style and community for your taste!..there are many! wink_o.gif

Welcome to MP HTL. Here's some really basic things you can consider. Use them more as wide guidelines, than actual rules. Reading these might scare you off a bit, but MP is at a bare minimum 50% of ArmA. Most might make sense to you already:

Always take time to read the briefing if possible and check which objectives are most vital and which have already been completed.

Learn to navigate using the map coordinates and compas. People often relay information using coordinates and compas directions.

Always introduce yourself when joining a server, even 'Hi' is enough. Communication is a major part of MP, a headset really adds to the game, but text chat is a reasonable alternative. Keep your messages informative and short.

Practise flying in singleplayer or in the editor, but understand flying in MP is sometimes a completely new ballgame. Flying in MP, you sometime have to compensate for inaccuricies caused by lag. You're also under heavier pressure, as you're responsible for your passengers safety, both from enemy fire, but also from own mistakes. Many servers allows anyone to fly, but adwise new players not to practise on their server. I like to fly in MP, it's a game in it self transporting player back and forth. Locating safe landing zones, being tested in speed and accuracy. I sometimes crash too and if I then kill a number of passengers, I usually take a break from flying. Mistakes happen, but try to avoid repeating them. Save the 'showoff' skills for flying along, safety first when you're transporting other players.

Learn to identify Bluefor, Opfor and indepent units to minimize accidental teamkilling. Understand teamkilling can't be totally avoided and learn to distinguish between accidental and intentional teamkillings. If you're the one getting teamkilled, allow the other player some time to appologize and always accept this appology. Allways appologize youself for own accidental teamkills(even if someone ran right in front of you). A simple 'sorry' should be sufficient. Don't start a major discussion on who's fault it were. If the person refuses to accept your appology, write him off as a poor sport.

Avoid intentional teamkilling as a rule of thumb, even if provoked. Remember some idiots will try to bait you into killing them, hoping to trick the admin into kicking you from the server. Sometimes teamkilling can be accepted if a player delibertly tries to sabotage the game, destroying vital team assets like ammunition crates, vehicles and aircrafts. But you shouldn't do this before you're fairly familiar with the server you're playing on.

You usually get as much as you give. Join a server in a good spirited mood, be friendly, patient and disciplined. If someone are looking for a confrontation or tries to provoke you, consider your response carefully. Best action is to ignore him, but sometimes not as fun.

Do not be discouraged by players who don't know how to cooperate. You will meet people who shouldn't be allowed to play PC games, own pets or have children, but you will also meet people who knows how to work as a team and have fun at the same time.

Finally: keep your socks dry and you're weapon clean and oiled.

Tanks for the tips everyone!

Looking forward getting home from work now.

Ck-claw, tried to register but maybe it was stopped by the firewall at work.  

Will try it again in a couple of days if I don’t hear anything.

Dallas; My fiancé keep my socks dry. And I can testify that you do not have to keep your rifle clean.

I am drafted in the National Guard. Use my G3 for one week each year. It has not seen a cotton pad for 4 years. When I get home form a exercise I just throw it in the closet, works like a dream for me  smile_o.gif

Played CTF on public servers 6 hours yesterday.

I was positively surprised, only one game was “hackedâ€. (Choppers started to pop up in the spawning area.)

Found out that I truly suck in multiplayer. My kill ratio was probably 30-1 or something. Maybe not a surprise as my multiply experience mostly consists of ASL board gaming.

Found out than an old Microsoft wireless mouse is ok in SP but not in MP.

Any suggestion on what to buy?

At last a probably obvious question, but I have not been able to find it out;

What type of game is an game with Mode>TEAM?

Found out than an old Microsoft wireless mouse is ok in SP but not in MP.

Any suggestion on what to buy?

At last a probably obvious question, but I have not been able to find it out;

What type of game is an game with Mode>TEAM?

I can imagine that you can get an older Razer Diamondback pretty cheap, or if you are after even more quality, Logitech G5 or G7 are good, or one of Razer's new ones. I've been happy with my Diamondback.

The listed game types are the game's own shabby system, basically they're any PvP game type that doesn't include capturing or holding a flag, although you can't be sure because the game type is ultimately chosen by the maker of that mission.

Multiplayer can be a nasty surprise for a newbie, the greatest guideline is to never underestimate a human opponent as they can be just as smart or unpredictable as you are.

The key to holding your own against fellow members of your species is empathy: try to understand how most people play and how they act and what they try to achieve. Even slow players can win a firefight if they can read the enemy's thoughts and moves. That however may need lots of experience in multiplayer as a whole.

Another important thing is to listen and locate gunshots and make conclusions whether it's friendly or hostile. Usually the shots with sharp cracks are hostile because they're coming your way. Keep track of how many and which enemies live at the moment by looking at the kill messages and score board. At first I recommend that you stay a little behind the front line in CTF and watch the flanks behind cover.

Quote[/b] ]Found out that I truly suck in multiplayer. My kill ratio was probably 30-1 or something.

Celery made some very relevant points. I'd also second the advice that you are guaranteed to do very poorly as a newcomer to a PVP mode such as CTF. I remember playing very many games where I regarded it as an achievement to have killed a single opponent at the end of a 30 minute game. Eventually you learn to form a mental picture of what is going on through the sounds of firing,scanning the messages at the bottom of the screen, and anticipating the patterns of certain players. If you are in the UK you are welcome on the SBS ("Special Boat Service" - put 'boat' in your filter) server and we'll be pleased to try and give you some tips - always good to see another player take up CTF biggrin_o.gif

I personally love teaching new guys how to play the game. Always funny when the new guy does something so stupid you wouldn't even dream of doing and it actually works or he dies in such a way you laugh your ass off the chair  rofl.gif

some good points have been already been mentioned (introduction, headset)

you should adjust your audio in such a way that it helps you find the enemy (i have mine adjusted so i can hear over long distances because the type of maps i play require me too.*CTI*)

adjusting your setting depending how good of a computer  you have. (bad computer = low settings, good computer = higher settings... obviously) but i've noticed playing on the highest settings aren't so great. You get that stupid haze effect and you can't see over great distances.  huh.gif

find the perfect mouse for you. it took me around 3-4 days to finally get my mouse sensitivity just perfect for me.

http://www.logitech.com/index.c....l=us,en

this is the one i use for gaming

http://www.logitech.com/index.c....l=us,en

i have this one as well

i've determined that cordless mouses hate me there for... i hate them as well  tounge2.gif

MP is a whole different beast. you got people that just want to have a good time and play the game the way right way and then you got guys that don't care about anyone else and they think they're god's and or they just want to ruin everyone elses fun just so they can enjoy themselves for a bit.

dont let this ruin your fun. Enjoy a great game, see you on the battlefield  pistols.gif

Hi

Noobs are also welcome on "GSG server hosted by gaming deluxe"

Sometimes locked cause it's a 10 slots

No need teamspeak, you'll meet an international cool team patient enough to teach you cool stuff on ArmA.

wink_o.gif

Ordered a Razer Copperhead and Koss-headset yesterday.

So I should have teamspeak up and running before the weekend.

PMD, thank for the tip about adjusting the settings.

Going to test it out tonight.  Have an E6600 @ 3.0 + 8800GTX so I´ve pretty much maxed out on the settings with draw dist, on 6000.

What settings do you use to get rid of the haze? Should I set draw dist, on 1000m?

Sbamac, only if I´m in the UK?

I live in Norway so the ping should not be a problem. Hope its ok I drop by SBS if I see that it is active.

Ck-claw, Have checked out the 22SAS-server but there is never any one there. Is it only active in the weekend?

Learned a couple of tricks the hard way yester day.

-Shoot and move. Stay and you just get outflanked and shoot in the back.

-Trying to confront a veteran sniper is not smart. You need lost of cover fire to do that.

-If you see a coordinated sq coming your way, try to hide and hope they go away   smile_o.gif Alone you have a one second lifespan after you fire.

At least I want to BIS for a great MP game. (Even with the hackers. 3 games FUBAR last night)

I've had some nasty experiences in MP games in OFP and ArmA. This basically keeps me from playing MP instead of SP.

I never found a good gaming community, although I know there are some. For ArmA, I wait for the "new game" effect to settle down before trying again, but I don't have too much time on my hands for playing.

Maybe some of you may be able to convince me that MP is not limited to TK, camping snipers, rude partners, careless noobs and over confident veterans...

Good luck HTL for your MP experience, mine was not quite successful confused_o.gif

Malick

I've had some nasty experiences in MP games in OFP and ArmA. This basically keeps me from playing MP instead of SP.

I never found a good gaming community, although I know there are some. For ArmA, I wait for the "new game" effect to settle down before trying again, but I don't have too much time on my hands for playing.

Maybe some of you may be able to convince me that MP is not limited to TK, camping snipers, rude partners, careless noobs and over confident veterans...

Good luck HTL for your MP experience, mine was not quite successful confused_o.gif

Malick

Malick I feel your pain ... my favourite type of MP game, Bezerk Maps is frequently overrun with cheaters. So like you I seeked an online gaming community that would help stop this ...

Check this out

IC ArmA

I guarantee you'll love it smile_o.gif

InfamOus, I’ve looked at the IC Arma but there is one thing I wonder about.

When on Saturday do they play?

Have not been able to find information about this on the webpage.  

Since I live in a GMT+1 time zone, playing GMT -6 (Cet. Am) time is not very practical

Hi HTL

Worth getting TrackIR too. It is head tracking software and hardware and is a big advantage in PVP as you can look around and your situational awareness rockets. You can also lean carefully around corners. Great for Aircraft flying too.

There are other types of game play too not just DM and CTF.

Team Speak and microphone is a must (a 5 button mouse helps here as you can use the thumb button to push to talk rather than voice trigger or a keyboard button)

There are Capture and hold maps like Berzerk, and CTI, there are coops and even Real Time Strategy

If your used to ASL board gaming you may want to check out the CEX when the Public beta is released this week end. It allows large scale strategy including way-points and map markers intel and Sit-rep all automated think of it like an FPS version of Total War very large battles up to thousands of AI and 60 plus players if the servers can cope.

Coop and PVP Coop with a big clan is excellent. If you are in the US and want really organized hierarchical clan play with proper US military tactics then Shack-tactical is worth a look. Kelly's Heroes is also a good clan.

In Europe Zeus is worth a try though they are in the middle of shifting over server. There are many other clans and they play a range of styles. Hit squad, 16AAB, oh crap I could be here hours...

Look here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....SF;f=65

Each clan has a single post look through the adds till you find one you like the sound of and go to their website or TS chanel and join or...

Look here for clans who are looking for new members:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=63576

Kind Regards walker

Thanks Walker, this may prove useful to many of us.

I never really looked into the 'Squads and Clans' subforum.

Malick

[Edit] I have enlisted myself with 6thSense online community, i'll see how often I can play. Furthermore, I had some cool moments on public servers. Not a single TK and no cheat. That was great smile_o.gif Thanks to all present players