Sign in to follow this  
alpha125rbf

Realistic AI firefight

I like it, though now i have to reconfigure my accuracy settings because the AI run out of ammo before the end of the battle. tounge2.gif

Now that I have tried it, it's quite nice. I have changed the sensitivity value to 20, because the guys kept engaging at 500m, which is really too far away in my opinion.

I had the same problem as ofpforum : I had to reconfigure the AI accuracy in order to reflect longer engagement ranges biggrin_o.gif I have set it at 0.45 on regular and 0.55 on veteran, and it seems ok... The AI does not waste that many ammo and the hit ratio is acceptable.

Malick

Ok,

As always I have accuracy at 1.0 skill at 1.0 (and Super KI on what makes the same).

Is someone able to help ?

I'm trying to modify the threat values of AT units, in order to improve their engagement procedures, just for testing purposes. I used alpha125rbf.pbo as a base and added a little part :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgVehicles

{

class man;

class CAManBase : Man {

sensitivity = 20;    

/*DEFAULT WAS "sensitivity = 2", AI attacks you under 200m, (that was weak)*/

/* NOW ITS ABOUT 400 - 500m if you run at them without shooting*/

};

class SoldierWB: CAManBase {};

class SoldierWAT: SoldierWB {

threat = {1, 0.900000, 0.100000}; // Man , Tank , Air

};

};

The problem is, ArmA keeps on telling me :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[]:threat not an array

though it is just a CTRL+C CTRL+V from characters.pbo's config  crazy_o.gif

Any idea ?

Malick

[edit] That may not be the best thread to ask this, I reckon...

Malick; Try this:

Quote[/b] ]threat[] = {1, 0.900000, 0.100000};

and don't forget the brackets []...

This should work, this is how threat in the "class CAManBase : Man " is defined.

But i think some Soldier classes have their own threat value, in that case your threat value will be overwritten.

Quote[/b] ]What about the CfgAISkill in the main config? Have you tried changing it yet?

Nope, but it looks real interesting!

Quote[/b] ]class CfgAISkill {

aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

aimingShake[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

aimingSpeed[] = {0, 0.5, 1, 1};

endurance[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

spotDistance[] = {0, 0.2, 1, 0.4};

spotTime[] = {0, 0, 1, 0.7};

courage[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

reloadSpeed[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

commanding[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

general[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

};

Hmm, you play with super a.i. on and this tweak makes them even harder? I have them at "normal" and they already snipe me with any kind of weapon, including rpg's confused_o.gif .

Well...

No. The "threat" array is defined without brackets in characters' config.bin, for example the one I'd like to edit, SoldierWAT :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class SoldierWAT: SoldierWB {

model = "\ca\characters\us_soldier_at";

picture = "\Ca\characters\data\Ico\i_null_CA.paa";

Icon = "\Ca\characters\data\map_ico\i_wojak_CA.paa";

displayName = "$STR_DN_AT_SOLDIER";

nameSound = "missileSoldier";

cost = 150000;

accuracy = 1.500000;

nightVision = 1;

weapons = {"M4AIM", "M136", "Throw", "Put"};

magazines = {"30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "M136", "M136", "M136"};

threat = {1, 0.900000, 0.100000}; <------ HERE

respawnWeapons = {"M4AIM", "M136", "Throw", "Put"};

respawnMagazines = {"30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "M136"};

class Wounds {

tex = {};

mat = {"ca\characters\data\us_hhl.rvmat", "ca\characters\data\us_hhl_wound1.rvmat", "ca\characters\data\us_hhl_wound2.rvmat", "ca\characters\data\us_soldier_at_body.rvmat", "ca\characters\data\us_soldier_at_body_wound1.rvmat", "ca\characters\data\us_soldier_at_body_wound2.rvmat"};

};

};

At least it is in mine...

I have tried with brackets and it didn't work : I have tried a second time and why does it work NOW ? Anyway, thanks,  biggrin_o.gif

[edit] My bad, I had a conflicting config.

Regarding CfgAISkill, Second in his excellent suppression script used these commands. The scripts work nicely and the AI reacts to incoming fire. Nice smile_o.gif

Malick

Hmm, you play with super a.i. on and this tweak makes them even harder? I have them at "normal" and they already snipe me with any kind of weapon, including rpg's confused_o.gif .

Well, it makes them actually react to contact a bit farther away. It doesn't increase their precision or skill, which I advise to tweak to lower values (I use skill between 0.55<0.75 and precision between 0.45 < 0.55).

With these values, it's quite OK for me. Of course, no super AI (what does it do anyway ?).

Malick

Quote[/b] ]Hmm, you play with super a.i. on and this tweak makes them even harder? I have them at "normal" and they already snipe me with any kind of weapon, including rpg's confused_o.gif .

They can't snipe you because of weapon dispersion smile_o.gif.

For me its normal if a trained soldier gets you from 300m distance with his first 5 shots, if you just stand without moving or cover. And I as player can do the same thing: well aimed kill with first shot at the same distance. Snipers and mashine gunners should do this at 500m distnce minimum.

I see the main problem in the missions: To increase the fun factor the player was made able to kill more enemys. There are missions where you kill a half company alone... And thats a shooter, not a sim.

The SUPER AI sets automaticly all skill to 1.0-

Malick your config is definitely screwed.

only use cpbo, eliteness and unRap.

i had this problem with ArmAUnbin if i remember correctly..

Malick your config is definitely screwed.

only use cpbo, eliteness and unRap.

i had this problem with ArmAUnbin if i remember correctly..

Damn, I use ArmAUnBin too...

That is the reason, then ! Thanks Q for the tip.

Regarding the tweak of precision values : missions are completely different now. I set precision = 15, so that the AI sees and engage the enemy at approximately 350m, which is a correct range for assault rifles bullets.

With correct skill and accuracy setting, firefights happen at longer ranges and last longer. I receive incoming enemy MG fire from approx 500m away, same thing for snipers ! No more close combat with snipers and MG ! Now CQB happens with grenades biggrin_o.gif

I'm loving this game again thanks to all the possible tweaks and mods this community has found/done. Thanks !

Malick

Quote[/b] ]This mod didn't work for me.The engagements still start around 200 meters, but i did see a difference in the way the machine gunners and snipers fought.I don't get why only half the mod works.

I think its because of the gras! The enemy sees you - and fires at you while standing. After one second it lays at the ground. Because of gras (terrain settings very low, but gras through script present) the lying ai can't see and attack you, if you far away. Lying they see your head at about 200m distance. Then they fire again. Try the same situation at an stone textured airfield -and it should be different.

Another funny AmA bug.   goodnight.gif

On the Rahmadi map i placed an ofpor sniper on a roof with a clear view to my team which was at around 600 meters. As usually the rest of my AI squad and the sniper engaged at 230 meters.Up until then they were just walking without any concern and the sniper was standing on the roof.

Quote[/b] ]On the Rahmadi map i placed an ofpor sniper on a roof with a clear view to my team which was at around 600 meters. As usually the rest of my AI squad and the sniper engaged at 230 meters.Up until then they were just walking without any concern and the sniper was standing on the roof.

Do you have SUPER AI on?? Or all skill at one? Do you play veteran or soldier?

alpha does your mod overide my own config settings?

Quote[/b] ]alpha does your mod overide my own config settings?

No - it increases only one parameter in the AI config.

sensitivity = 25;

I have one question though : how does it work in MP ?

If this file is on the server/host, will it affect all clients ? And if one or more clients use it, how does it affect gameplay for them and clients not using it...

This little tweak clearly changed the experience for me. The AI seems less robotic, at least for me.

Malick

With this mod. and my own tweaking of the config. My firefights are compeltely different for the better. The AI is much more responsive, and sometimes even calls out targets before I do, imagine that!

I have been using it in MP without any problems, although the people I have been playing with have also installed the mod.

It's good to see people finally experimenting with the AI.

I wasn't going to post, and I don't mean to hijack your thread, but it turns out that Durg78 and I have actually been working on an AI mod for over a month now that is almost identical to the premise of this mod (TrueRangeAI). With a lot of testing, we have had some great success. This mod, the first phase of our upcoming AI modifications, will adjust only AI engagement and ranges, with AI "personality" changes to come in later phases. We were both fed up with the fact that the AI would not engage us (or even see us for that matter) at ranges where we could easily spot, identify, and engage them. We are shooting for realism, and trying to make AI engagement ranges much closer to those of human players.

So, now you have AI that will spot movement much farther away, and become aware of an "unknown" presence. As the unknown presence gets closer, they can identify it as friend or foe (this identification is easier with long distance optics or when taking fire). As well as AI that will engage you from 500+ meters away, just as us human players would. Firefights now can last a VERY long time. Durg78 also solved a very important bug in the game that relates to this mod, but I will keep that secret until the release. We are planning on releasing a public Beta in the coming "days".

I guess the more the merrier wink_o.gif

Keep them coming !

Malick

It's good to see people finally experimenting with the AI.

I wasn't going to post, and I don't mean to hijack your thread, but it turns out that Durg78 and I have actually been working on an AI mod for over a month now that is almost identical to the premise of this mod (TrueRangeAI). With a lot of testing, we have had some great success. This mod, the first phase of our upcoming AI modifications, will adjust only AI engagement and ranges, with AI "personality" changes to come in later phases. We were both fed up with the fact that the AI would not engage us (or even see us for that matter) at ranges where we could easily spot, identify, and engage them. We are shooting for realism, and trying to make AI engagement ranges much closer to those of human players.

So, now you have AI that will spot movement much farther away, and become aware of an "unknown" presence. As the unknown presence gets closer, they can identify it as friend or foe (this identification is easier with long distance optics or when taking fire). As well as AI that will engage you from 500+ meters away, just as us human players would. Firefights now can last a VERY long time. Durg78 also solved a very important bug in the game that relates to this mod, but I will keep that secret until the release. We are planning on releasing a public Beta in the coming "days".

I am not so optimistic with this mod especially with this 500m-detection-thingy by an unalarmed AI. As if this wasn't enough also there could be weather-conditions like fog and rain, which effects only the human-sight but NOT the AI-sight? At a fog-day you can see just about 200 meters or so.

And there is also the problems with bushes.

And please explain also why "firefights now can last a VERY long time" with an AI with their cheating sharp-shooting-skills and their 500+ detection-range?

But IMO the makers of the true-view-mod with this less-zoom-optic than the vanilla-arma-optic had always a strange concept ...

Quote[/b] ]Do you have SUPER AI on?? Or all skill at one? Do you play veteran or soldier?

I play as a soldier with all the Ai set at 1.

I just tried this tweak and for me it changes ArmA to the better, thanks for sharing alpha! Due to longer ranges the AI's flanking routines seems to become a tad more effective, I will play around with the values a bit.

I am not so optimistic with this mod especially with this 500m-detection-thingy by an unalarmed AI. As if this wasn't enough also there could be weather-conditions like fog and rain, which effects only the human-sight but NOT the AI-sight?

@wolfsblut_: You are wrong here mate! Fog does indeed affect AI's sight, it's easy to test in the editor for yourself. Also bigger schrubs/bushes/fallen trees does effectivle block AI's LOS.

Regarding the enemy AI's "cheating sharp-shooting-skills" it's been mentioned hundreds of times in different threads that you can easily fix/tweak this to your own liking by editing the precisionEnemy value in your xxx.ArmAProfile!

/KC

Twiddle here, twiddle there...

You know what I mean ?

All that custom settings you need to have to get the party right, those custom modifications of values...

I´m not sure if I´m happy about that, keeping in mind that a changed AI will definately influence the gameplay a lot.

Not that such is a bad thing, but from the mission-editor point of

view it´s nasty as missions can turn out to be ultrahard after an AI change or ultrasoft.

For me the default values should be changed by BIS only to keep some kind of common line for all participants:

The gamers

The editors

The modders

The editors simply can´t pack addon after addon with their missions just to change some uservalues. I´m not a fan of such and people who want to keep their Arma install clean are already having a hard time.

Remember the fuzz with guns after 1.08.

I think if such change of values is agreed upon it should be implemented by BIS with the next patch. This makes things easier for all.

What I´d really liked to see are some custom and comprehensive FSM files that can be executed on the fly or distributed via addon.

Evasive maneuvers, surpressing, on-the-fly-splitting of groups when under fire, searching for cover, etc...

Those are the things that would really change AI.

I tried to play around with FSM´s but for me it´s very hard to logically build a new one that actually works.

Maybe it would be a nice community project to develope a new set of FSM´s for Arma ?

BTW, this is in no way meant to be offensive. I do respect the work that has been put into this and it certainly changes the gameplay for a better one, but still, I´d like to have those values changed by BIS in the next patch, basing their settings on good settings that are agreed upon by the forum members.

I see this as a kind of finetuning by BIS with community values that is needed and wanted.

Cheers !

smile_o.gif