Sign in to follow this  
NeMeSiS

Fixing ArmA

But lemme tell you what will get noticed - realistic tracers, realistic vehicle explosions and damage, different character animation system, the list goes on...

...It seemed like in ArmA many of those great things that had been achieved in OFP have been rolled back in favour of a few graphic gimmicks.

Surely you see the contradiction there? AI behaviour and anti-cheat systems for MP gamers are important core gameplay fixes, not the things you've listed above. The vibe of your post isn't entirely inaccurate as the game needs serious attention, but those examples are poor on the list of priorities.

Apart from that, who says that the list on the page is complete ?

..or do you own a crystal ball sluggCDN ? huh.gif

Don't you think that's going a little far? I think it's pretty safe (and fair, for that matter) to say that we can assume something isn't getting fixed until we hear otherwise.

Quote[/b] ]Don't you think that's going a little far?

No.

People should actually wait with their complaints until the patch is there and they are still not satisfied. From recent patches we know that a lot more stuff was added with the changelog when the patch in question got released.

@Madus_Maximus

Somehow I have doubts that "some AI detection fixes" are gonna fix the AI issue or the gameplay call it a crystal ball or not. AI can be improved forever in our days.

Well, there is eye candy crap that is a must and then there is eye candy crap that definitely is crap. We have flying insects, flowers and amazing depth-of-field blurry effects in ArmA, yet tracers are considered by some an eye candy crap, in a game that's presented to us as the most realistic milsim out there. Yes, they fixed it; what's surprising it took them 4 patches to arrive at that fix, all the while they had a dysfunctional option "Tracers Off" sitting in the Settings panel. It's even more surprising considering Tracers Off actually worked in OFP:RES. All I'm trying to say is that somehow the sense of priorities with BIS kinda went askew. I guess they know better what's priority and what's not. But somehow it's patch 1.08 and there are basic things still to be fixed.

I can just shut up and other ppl can shut up and it will appear like all is cool and nice. And we will have the most amazing game after all. And BIS will keep on pumping out amazing sequels full of these amazing innovative features like rusting wheels and laser shooting sniper rifles and alike...

I'm fine with ArmA2 coming out so soon, all I'll say is please BI don't release a half baked version that needs 1.5GB of patches huh.gifwhistle.gif

Indeed, it's like they released something that requires so many fixes they barely have time to create extra new content. I just hope they don't screw this one up, because lets agree we didn't see it coming with ArmA after so much success and achievement in OFP. I hope lessons will be learned and ArmA 2 will be what ArmA aspired to be.

Well, if you had taken the time to look through the bugtracker, you would've seen that that list is pretty much it. No fixes to a bunch of major bugs, which you might personally think of as eye candy crap. To me, getting shot in the head through a set of concrete buildings or getting spotted through entire forests in the middle of the night by an enemy unit without NVGoggles or watching AI units enter buildings through the walls but not being able to do so through doors doesn't seem all that realistic in this "most realistic military simulation ever". Or how about the totally realistic inability to move while looking through a... <gasp> binoculars? Or all those women in Arma, right? Wait, there are none. Not that I want to shoot women characters, but they certainly added to the atmosphere in OFP, even though you'd probably classify them as eye candy crap. (To be fair, even I don't consider this last one a high priority fix, with all the other thousand holes in the game.)

It'd be nice to have those fixed and looking through the bugtracker it seems that those issues will stay with us for a long time. Who knows, with a bit of luck, you might see them again when you pay for Arma2.

I applaud their efforts to patch the game, but right now BIS doesn't have a whole lot of credit with me. If they come through, I might reconsider.

You see, I bought two copies of this game. Not that I'm bitter and request the refund. No, not at all. Tell me which other game has such a loyal fan base where ppl buy multiple copies of the game and come back to its forum after hours of gaming frustration to leave some feedback, so the devs could make improvements to their product. ArmA still has fans like this. But if BIS will continue down the current path its support group will inevitably evaporate in a matter of months. I saw the recent video clips of ArmA 2 build and I'm getting worried. It looks so much like ArmA boosted with a few addons and a new island map.

Consider this: OFP has been a great title, achieved alot, made numerous groundbreaking innovations and spawned off a whole new genre. Many bugs have been weeded out and new features have been introduced with every consecutive OFP patch and conversion mod. ArmA 1 on the other hand sported the same bugs OFP: CWC had upon its release. It's seems like ArmA 1 was based on the OFP version 1.46, not 1.96. Plus many other new bugs. Now, just imagine - and I could see some ppl burning me up on a stake for this hieresy wink_o.gif - what if Codemaster took OFP, learned all its shortcomings and didn't introduce the multiple bugs like BIS did in ArmA; instead they made it an OFP2, a true mighty successor to the great game, making it all the OFP was and so much more. Where do u think ArmA 2 will be. I could see this forum getting really vacant because ppl will be busy enjoying what ArmA might have been...

I just don't want ArmA 2 to go down ArmA 1 path. Now that the Game 2 has been announced and is in developmental stages I think it's the right time to log in certain requests or at least to make sure devs don't introduce something they think is a trifle matter, just to find out later, after the release, that for their audience it's a major show-stopper. Lets make sure they don't leave the rusted damaged tires for ArmA 2 wink_o.gif.

..or do you own a crystal ball sluggCDN ?  huh.gif

Don't you think that's going a little far?  I think it's pretty safe (and fair, for that matter) to say that we can assume something isn't getting fixed until we hear otherwise.

Don't you think that's going a little far?

No.

People should actually wait with their complaints until the patch is there and they are still not satisfied. From recent patches we know that a lot more stuff was added with the changelog when the patch in question got released.

I agree with Balschoiw.

There might be more updates that are not in that list. It already happened before.

Don't you think that's going a little far? I think it's pretty safe (and fair, for that matter) to say that we can assume something isn't getting fixed until we hear otherwise.

Don't you think that's going a little far?

No.

I agree with Balschoiw.

There might be more updates that are not in that list. It already happened before.

I'm not saying there aren't, but you can't just assume something is being fixed until you've actually heard that it is. I'd rather complain now and see it fixed in the next patch than wait for the next patch, see that it's not fixed, and complain then.

This is how customer response works. I'm glad that BIS supplies these forums and I'm appreciative that they allow us to bring up issues we have problems with so that they can correct them, but if we don't speak up then they'll never know what's bothering us. You're acting like expressing dissatisfaction with a product is somehow rude or immature, but in reality it's your obligation as a good customer to let the developer know where they went wrong.

fix arma

arma just came out, spend time on it, fix it and start pumping out expansions. dont need an armaII yet

I'll say again, since they are obviously doing both this dicsussion lacks relevance.