Sign in to follow this  
NeMeSiS

Fixing ArmA

If you had to choose, would you rather have BI fixing ArmA, or just put all their effort into ArmA2 to make it the greatest game ever?

Please keep your expectations regarding the patches realistic, the animation/flight/control/whatever system wont be completely rewritten (i dont care what you think about it, it just wont happen in a patch) and if you still have severe performance problems which arent specifically game related then they wont be patched anyway. (Vista, crappy 8800 drivers, overheating, unexplainable crappy performance which could be related to more or less anything, etc)

Also complete new features shouldnt be expected.

I just want to note that I am playing ARMA on a laptop XP 4000+ with a crubby ATI x600 mobile video card.

I should take some videos and show you that it is certainly playable , I wish it were better yes

But don't you think that the performance problems of ARMA on these supercomputers is mostly related with patches needed from MS (Vista) and Nvidia/ATI for this new hardware/OS that is beta?

Fixes will come, XP didn't run jackcrap when it first came out

We got lucky that it ran OFP initially pretty good is all

edit: heh my post is similiar to Rogueci5 post

Well I am running a mid ranged system it is a dule core, and ARMA runs fine, in fact I keep seeing all these issues with Graphic Cards etc etc and I am glad I dont have cutting edge gear.

ARMA may need a few tweeks but I dont think there is much to "Fix" as such.

Now I know people will argue with me on that, but take the point of view of a PLAYER not a modder or a system Tech or a coder.

I just play it, period and its bloody good fun.

Minus the initial bugs and lack of plot, Arma was exactly what I heard it would be before I bought it: OFP 1.5

I just don't honestly believe the things many of us want: Dynamic environment+AI, superior pathfinding, realistic damage moddeling is going to come to us in patches for Arma. So i have no problem enjoying what I got now while waiting for the product that can deliver these highly-prized features.

My vote would change if these items aren't on the agenda for Arma2.

Minus the initial bugs and lack of plot, Arma was exactly what I heard it would be before I bought it: OFP 1.5

I just don't honestly believe the things many of us want: Dynamic environment+AI, superior pathfinding, realistic damage moddeling is going to come to us in patches for Arma. So i have no problem enjoying what I got now while waiting for the product that can deliver these highly-prized features.

My vote would change if these items aren't on the agenda for Arma2.

I pretty much agree with that..

Arma could get a few tweaks but there are many things that cant be fixed and improved upon just like that.

Arma II smile_o.gif .

I can live without the new features and such as long as they at least fix the obvious bugs still in the game like the issue that still exists with vehicle MGs where once you use up a magazine the ammo truck will only reload your current mag and not replace the ones you'd already shot. As long as they patch out stuff like this that just screams something isn't right then I'll be satisfied

Polish ArmA; leave pt. 2 around as well...What the hell is the problem with updating for a patch of some sorts.

We just got the game in the US not that long ago. No reason to rush part 2!

i am running on mid-hi rig and have too not have many problems aside from the 1.07 beta version have gave me

but then there is still some problem that BI MUST FIX

i.e. AI, they were smart at some time sucked at others, and cannot cross bridges

I personally need a 3rd option in this poll.

Chioce= I love my ArmA..Hurry up and give me more!!

And this is coming from the underdog..a Vista 64bit user. wink_o.gif

Well why not have the best of both worlds? A small team working on fixing the major issues with ArmA, and the main team working on ArmA2 like they have been for years.

I voted for "patch ArmA". It's because ArmA isnt such an old game already, that it would be time for a next one. I wont have any problem with it, if it takes till 2010 to bring out ArmA II. I'd prefer, that the game i bought already gets better and better, so go on with patching ArmA and dont rush with ArmA II.

I choose abstention from voting if I have to select one over the other.

Personally, I think ArmA has been rushed premature and it did neither us nor the developers any good.

To me, there are so many obstacles preventing ArmA from taking off like OFP:Res did (like long delay until tools release, no linuxserver) that I am apt to say: Stomp and forget ArmA, let's look forward to a successor.

On the other hand's side, further engine patches for ArmA are always welcome. And I guess ArmA2 will have a hard time to sell because ArmA1 left a bitter taste in many mouths.

Not my decision, thank god wink_o.gif

Well, I'm a "happy" AMD 1.8 Ghz, 512MB DDR, GF FX6600 user. And guess what? I play ArmA on that crap.

Sure I would like to see some optimalisation, and major bugfixes. But that's just a matter of one or two config patches 10mb each. (isn't it?) Anyway, one patch now, then maybe another, bigger one with QG, and that's all.

I was lazy enough to bitch about ArmA's disadvantages, but learned how to make it better myself. (with the help of addon/mod/mission makers!wink_o.gif. I know that the time spent on posting sh*t can be spent on enjoying the game, not only playing but messing with it's guts (and then testing/playing whatever).

So I'm pretty pissed off when some 12 yro with his uber rig does his: "muddafuckin BIS deserves to be kiccken'n da nutz, cuz their suxxing game doesn't PWN on my roxxing computer!!!111!!!1oneone, how dare those neggz*rz relase WIP shotz of ArmA2, teh pwnage"

Now, since you know, more or less, what I think about ArmA, I want you to know what I think about this poll:

ArmA II FTW xmas_o.gif

They should fix ArmA1 and then take the experiance of fixing in ArmA1 to ArmA2 smile_o.gif

Work on ArmA II, the stuff that needs fixing in ArmA I are quite a lot of engine tweaks. Plus isnt 505 working on the expansion? Surely that will come with a patch like they say which should fix the majority of things wrong with ArmA.

muddafuckin BIS deserves to be kiccken'n da nutz, cuz their suxxing game doesn't PWN on my roxxing computer!!!111!!!1oneone, how dare those neggz*rz relase WIP shotz of ArmA2, teh pwnage"

XD !

My concern is...

If they aren't going to keep patching ArmA, how can I expect they will patch ArmA II without trying to hit us up for a purchase of ArmA III?

That's how EA killed themselves... constantly leaving behind wreckages of games so they could release new ones, until people decided they weren't going to buy EA anymore.

I would like to see BIS still making ArmA better. I cant see ArmA 2 coming over 2-years and there is many must on bugs in ArmA that must fix out.

I voted fix ARMA

I'm running the on a fairly decent 8800gtx rig and have noted that there are a few issues that still need to be addressed and improved.

I would like to see BIS still making ArmA better. I cant see ArmA 2 coming over 2-years and there is many must on bugs in ArmA that must fix out.

Ofpforum ruled lots of things out which i'd hope to see, mostly tweakable AI related and AI's boosting in many warfaretasks. Bugs in ArmA don't bother me as much as things that are not in ArmA's AI.

And those most likely are things that can't be added, or it takes lots of detication and work from BIS. Mostlikely they need engineoverhaul.

EDIT: OH! So i voted for consentrating on ArmA2. And fixing some worst griefmakers in ArmA.

Im all for ArmA2 cause it seems BIS just made too many mistakes in ArmA including things that seem too complex too simply fix by a patch.

ArmA runs fine for me since the last patch if i dont count the things i learned to live with like the low lod models on close distance ( very rare ) or the low res textures when you quickly turn in some urban areas.

So like i said, make ArmA2 but make sure you make it OFP worthy this time and also finally rethink some engine aspects.

What i and surely many others expect from ArmA2:

- Proxies on weapons so we can remove scopes and mags etc ingame without need to replace models by scripts.

- Anims that are fitted to weapons so finally if any soldier picks up a machinegun or any other weap he holds it like it should be held.

- Optimised engine especially the grass issue ( seems to be adresses from what i read so far )

- Heavy improved AI that finally really knows whats going on around it but doesnt have the x-ray eyes and super ears of the current ai.

Also i would like to see them pick up weapons and finally realyl search for cover.

- Correct gear for each country so we dont have ACU units with marine gear and such again and also finalyl invest some research into russian troops to reflect their setup correctly and most important fitting to the 2009 theme which shouldnt include spetsnaz in Flora with simple pioneer chestrigs as it seems on the screens of ArmA2

- A good campaign, most important and a key part in OFPs success back then.

- Early tools or even better make us able to use the new tools also with ArmA2

Theres much more but that is my main concern.

Keeping in mind that BIS releasedates don´t mean that much, I´m all for a fixed and patched Arma1 first, apart from waiting 2 or more years for the sucessor with a broken Arma1 on my HD.

There are just too many bugs with Arma1 even after 1.08 and imo they should do everything needed to get Arma1 to a more bugfree and compatible level as it is today.

They have already improved the game alot, no doubt, but still, there are some really major issues in the game that have not been adressed up to now.( There are just too many bugs and flaws with the AI and pathfinding and interacting with terrain that I ALWAYS get at least one big showstopper per created mission. it has come that far, that I have to list those issues in the readme coming with the mission. Furthermore it already took me hours to find workarounds for the bugs, avoid those bugs and exclude them as much as possible from the missions. This is very frustrating, and i guess every mission - editor can agree on that).

If they won´t do that first, I will not feel very motivated to buy a future release, as the support could run the same way.

For me, the harm that BIS has done to themselves by releasing Arma as it was (and still is in some parts) is a big one. If they decide to focus on Arma2 instead of fixing what they delivered

they will make the harm even bigger and again loose a big chunk of their reputation.

DEFINATELY fix ArmA then make ArmA 2.

Plus fixing ArmA 1 will assist in creating ArmA 2. They need to fix the bugs + optimise the original as they will be using the same engine just upgraded for ArmA 2.

I personally WANT to wait for ArmA 2, ive spent enough money on hardware for a couple of years...