Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Spinning Prop Blurs

Stuffed if I can do the last bit with the tools I have ....

I need to take this texture and create a nice transparent blur ....

Anyone know how to do this properly?

propXc.jpg

Source File

Guest RKSL-Rock

We'll need the original prop texture.

Or you can do it yourself:

Take your original non blurred prop texture.  Drop it in Photoshop, cut out the shape using the magic wand so you have just the prop on one layer.

Duplicate the layer and turn the original off.  Make sure you have the visible layer marked as active then goto Filter > Blur > Radial Blur.  Play around with the settings until you get the effect you want then apply.

Now to make it transparent: Go back to the layer you turned off. Turn it on. Copy it to the clipboard and then create a new Alpha channel.

Paste the prop into the alpha channel and blur it using the same settings as you used before. Then you can use either adjust levels or brightness filters to adjust the degree of transparency.

Save as a TGA and you are done.

Rock, I find that if you perform the radial blur twice (using a smaller amount of Blur than you would initially for each blur) you get a better effect at the centre of the rotation.

Gnat, below I've done you two versions of blurring that texture, one using a single rotational blur of 70, and a second using 35 twice.

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/mlb2/propXdblur.tga

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/mlb2/propXdblur2.tga

Guest RKSL-Rock
Rock, I find that if you perform the radial blur twice (using a smaller amount of Blur than you would initially for each blur) you get a better effect at the centre of the rotation.

ooo nice tip thanks!

Oooooh! Very Nice thanks 12th ! thumbs-up.gif

Both versions look pretty good in motion notworthy.gif

PiperWII_3.jpg

Your an addon factory!

Thanks Bratty, but as everyone seems to remind me, "but with nothin comin out the factory door" tounge2.gif

... maybe soon wink_o.gif

Nice blur, looks really good. I always start a project and never finish one before I start 6 more, probably like you :P Do release what you can smile_o.gif

Looks great. Is there anyway to add a second blur texture to give the props some depth?

Rather than a single flat texture?

smile_o.gif

I dont see why not, define another general blur texture at 90deg to the main blur, similar to the way muzzle flashes are done. Then name the whole bit as the blur.

Maybe you can even make a hourglass shaped box with blur textures on the outside faces ....

Looking for another blur biggrin_o.gif

Any help appreciated ... thx

A couple different variants to choose from would be good.

v22blur1.jpg

Yes, V-22

SOURCE

EDIT - please make the background transparent .... I can't get that bit either with PSP.

gnat huh.gif thats not fair wink_o.gif u showed us this now again ...

release it or i jump out of the window biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

nice works m8.. really looking forward to all the stuff.

Bite me ..... you should know releases don't magically appear from no where. "Time" is something no one can make.

I work for a living, got a bank loan to pay on the house I live in, got overtime to do to feed the family.

ArmA comes like 100th on my list of important things in my life ...... people like yourself dont make my list.

Uhm, nice way to respond to someone who is hyped about your work.

So ..... you don't understand Fk Andersson post is what you are saying?

Gnat the addonbank  rofl.gif

Ps: as a bank is just sitting on their money...

Uhm, nice way to respond to someone who is hyped about your work.

Oh boy, I hope the new episodes of "Ban that Forum Poster" air soon.  band.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif Keep up the good work Gnat.

wow, internet bickering... Niice work Gnat! Im just as excited if not more about it then most other people. I just want a full Marine MAGTF (Marine Air Ground Task Force)... Take your time. Family first. something these kids dont understand... Not much older myself, but deff. a family man... lol

Keep up the good work and quality.

In need of another blur if someone wouldn't mind.

Cheers.

C185Prop.jpg

Download full size file - HERE