Sign in to follow this  
Maddmatt

ArmA Effects

absulutely loved the vid you released with .4 and it would be really cool to see any other cinematic work you would wish to release with a new version...

Videos weren't my work. You're probably thinking about one of the videos made by ArmaVids. Maybe him or someone else will make a good video with this version? (hint wink_o.gif )

I haven't made any ArmA videos of my own, at least not yet.

@mrcash2009: Yea those sparks could be smaller. I've been starting to think that myself after playing a bit. Adding the sparks and making their size dependant on the power of the bullet impact was something I started 1 or 2 days before release, so I didn't get a huge amount of playtesting done on them.

I love Maddmatts Effects, its a must have for ARMA. but i think Ive come across a problem with your latest version. In your last version, I loved doing dogfights with camels with your great flame/smoke trail from planes. However when using 0.7 it doesn't seem to work when i shoot something down however when AI shoot each other down i see the flame/smoke trail. Its the same story when shooting down things with the shilka. I'm not sure why this is happening and it looks like no one else is experiencing this problem. Arma wouldn't be the same if a mod such as this didnt exist.

@mrcash2009: Yea those sparks could be smaller.

Please remove the sparks on soldiers as they look unrealistic, human body wont produce sparks when hit by a bullet.

I've lost the "nozzle smoke" on all handguns. Everything else seems fine, except the "flash effect" when launching missiles.

Probably a conflicting addon. Does anyone know which ?

...I've installed too many addons

Arma Effects is half the game !

MM -

One more note; I tried to run the "target range" addon (that allows you to set up targets at various distances and practice - the one the Non Wondor Dog and GM Jamez reference...) - it won't work, stating that "mission won't play - downloadable content has been deleted math.<your mod>; I know this isn't the exact verbage.

At any rate, your previous version worked just fine... so wondering if there was something in particular that may have caused this? Not a big deal... but let me know if you are interested and I'll try to do a better dig on info for you (or maybe someone with a little more knowledge who also has had this happen can speak up...)

i got this error after loading this map MP341Co35_Urban_Engagements.Sara

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Error in expression <", ""];

};

while {true} do

{

if (rain > 0.07) then

{

{call _droprain} forEach >

Error position: <> 0.07) then

{

{call _droprain} forEach >

Error >: Type Bool, expected Number

File MatH_Rain\rain.sqf, line 19

any idea what's that ?

and some notes:

firing rapid ffars or vulcan or similar rapid gun in gun view (1st person) cause major render freezes (screen lag) ...

not sure if it's the rocket/gun smoke or some other added effect

Videos weren't my work. You're probably thinking about one of the videos made by ArmaVids. Maybe him or someone else will make a good video with this version? hint wink_o.gif

Yeah if someone could do up a combat mash-up of all the effects into a vid that'd rock. Unfortunately I don't have time, by the time I do have time, you'll probably be on version 37 LOL.

This new package is absolutely outstanding. My hat is off to you dude, great job.

notworthy.gif

I love Maddmatts Effects, its a must have for ARMA. but i think Ive come across a problem with your latest version. In your last version, I loved doing dogfights with camels with your great flame/smoke trail from planes. However when using 0.7 it doesn't seem to work when i shoot something down however when AI shoot each other down i see the flame/smoke trail. Its the same story when shooting down things with the shilka...

Probably because you aren't completely destroying them in the air. They need to be destroyed to trgger the effect. You're probably not getting enough shilka rounds into them wink_o.gif

Please remove the sparks on soldiers as they look unrealistic, human body wont produce sparks when hit by a bullet.

There are no sparks on soldiers. The only way you can see sparks come from soldiers is when you shoot their gun, which is the same as in vanilla ArmA.

I've lost the "nozzle smoke" on all handguns. Everything else seems fine, except the "flash effect" when launching missiles.

Probably a conflicting addon. Does anyone know which ?

...I've installed too many addons

Yes. Conflicting addon. You'll have to find out which by removing them.

did any of you notice on sunsets and rises that the sun can be seen through mountains?

Does that actually have anything to do with this mod? huh.gif

Sounds like a graphical glitch. I've never seen that.

One more note; I tried to run the "target range" addon (that allows you to set up targets at various distances and practice - the one the Non Wondor Dog and GM Jamez reference...) - it won't work, stating that "mission won't play - downloadable content has been deleted math.<your mod>; I know this isn't the exact verbage.

Kronzky's target range? I even used that to test the bullet impact effects with different weapons. I never had any problems with it.

You haven't got an old version of my mod lying around somewhere?

i got this error after loading this map MP341Co35_Urban_Engagements.Sara

Does it always happen in that map? If it does, could you send that map to me? PM the link to me if you can please.

and some notes:

firing rapid ffars or vulcan or similar rapid gun in gun view (1st person) cause major render freezes (screen lag) ...

not sure if it's the rocket/gun smoke or some other added effect

I think that's just the smoke trail from the rocket. I didn't change the effect for that. Mods like NWD ballistics which make the rockets more realistic mean they leave a longer smoke trail, which can kill FPS.

Maybe I can make that effect less laggy and more realistic though.

Hi, i get too very often that error message about the rain in many

MP missions; it appeared for 1St time with the XEH v1.5 i think; and

now seems to happen too with the last version, i've been playing

alot on the Kelly's Heroes server (with the ArmA v1.08) and the

error message appeared in many missions, but while in others it

didn't shown up and everything worked fine without any kind of

error message or problem.

The Error Message:

XEH_1_5.jpg

Let's C ya

Really enjoyed the improvements on this version, nice and smooth and thus far no lag, no errors etc.

My only gripe, and its minor, are the sparks. They just seem a little hollywood personally. Its minor though, and I can live with it of course, its more if I had to be drawn to giving any negative feedback, it would be this.

thumbs-up.gif

I love Maddmatts Effects, its a must have for ARMA. but i think Ive come across a problem with your latest version. In your last version, I loved doing dogfights with camels with your great flame/smoke trail from planes. However when using 0.7 it doesn't seem to work when i shoot something down however when AI shoot each other down i see the flame/smoke trail. Its the same story when shooting down things with the shilka...

Probably because you aren't completely destroying them in the air. They need to be destroyed to trgger the effect. You're probably not getting enough shilka rounds into them wink_o.gif

na, its not that. I think it might be a conflicting mod or i didnt install it right.

Awesome work Maddmatt, really awesome!

notworthy.gif

But, is it possible to create a muzzleflash effect for the BMP-2 cannon and other cannons?

Like this BMP-3?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I-nyg-_swac

I don't know if this is realistic, but in this video you can see the flash.

And is it possible to create a hit effect for the tank shells?

Regards

Flashbang

Thanks for the screen. I think it just showed me what the problem was biggrin_o.gif

The script is running before the MP mission starts. I guess the client PC doesn't know what the weather is before it actually starts, so it returns an error.

Thankfully I looked at that picture a second time and noticed the mission briefing in the background rofl.gif

Should be an easy fix, if the problem is what I think it is.

It only shows up once when you start the mission (at the briefing screen) right?

My only gripe, and its minor, are the sparks. They just seem a little hollywood personally. Its minor though, and I can live with it of course, its more if I had to be drawn to giving any negative feedback, it would be this.

Yea I agree. I'll reduce the spark size. If I spent more time testing them they would probably have ended up being smaller in the first place.

na, its not that. I think it might be a conflicting mod or i didnt install it right.

Maybe. It just seems odd that it shows up when AI shoot each other down.

But, is it possible to create a muzzleflash effect for the BMP-2 cannon and other cannons?

Like this BMP-3?

Possible. But getting it to look good wont be so easy. Maybe I'll give it a try some time.

And is it possible to create a hit effect for the tank shells?

Yes it is.

The Sabot shells need a decent effect, I'll probably do that wink_o.gif

Hi, yes, the message appears just right before enter (to play) the

mission; 2 or 3 seconds of black screen (most of the times) and

then you can enter to play and run for the 1St ammo crate before

even check out the mission briefing. Let's C ya

I think 1.09 added an effect for the sabot rounds- basically a different version of a large bullet hitting the ground. I can remember seeing it multiple times.

On the subject of losing all nozzle smoke and effects from small arms- I am experiencing that too. All i know at this point is ECS is not causing it...

Heh, i know I can pin a lot of the blame on DMSmoke, but the new effects do indeed seem to be a little more stressful on my rig - these days I guess it's best to have a quad core processor and at LEAST SLI or a dual gpu vid card with a healthy dose of VRAM... but anyway, it's actually worth playing even at 10 fps just for the experience ;p

Just a few thoughts:

-We were on a server other day while running ECS client and saw and error related to "rain" , apparently the mission maker was trashing the RAIN variable and then trying to use it, since this ArmA variable is also read by ECS the script error came up as an invalid input.

We have seen many bad scripting in arma missions ny people that have no clue what they are doing when mission building; nothing you create that uses scripts can be considered trivial and takes much time and experience to get right. Take nothing for granted, even the WIKI, as it is full of ommisions and sometimes misleading - read between the lines , run tests and make sure you understand what you script will do and what side-effects it will have when run with other mods/scripts that use the same resources.

- I have seen people connecting with the incorrect target line:

Quote[/b] ]..arma.exe" -mod=beta;DBE1;..

when it should read

Quote[/b] ]..arma.exe" -mod=DBE1;beta;..

when connecting with the Queens Gambit installed.

- There is an issue with using the "grouplink2" scripts and other mods, something that is not well known; GL2 was created for use in OFP, and as a carry-over is not well suited nor widely compatible with ArmA, especially if using the ECS dedicated server, since it duplicates / overwrites what the server is trying to do - at least form what I've heard.

- It would be helpful if the mods makers for different mods would make it easier for users to customize the feature set of the mod so they can select what they want active or non-active, choosing only the items of each mod they prefer to run. This way the effect from one mod does not interfere with those prefered from another when they are all loaded.

-As for effects lag - we tested and rejected at least a dozen after-effects in ECS when we realised the ArmA engine is not efficient enough to handle the additional load in scripts, and opted to skip those effects as the value was not worth sacrificing the gameplay. Some if the items in that list: Gun muzzle flash on large calibur weapon (tanks) , shock dust on machineguns, and a few pluggins for various wigits that we felt were too gimic to put in.

-I use a dual-core machine, tried both SLI and single cards, and although there is some improvement in framerate with SLI it is not significant, so use the most powerful single GPU card you can get in that case; also the dual-core only helps in that the OS is never starved for overhead resources, like network/firewall and file management, but the game makes NO USE of the second core as ArmA is inherently non-multicore coded process. Quad core as well.

Are you sure it's supposed to be -mod=DBE1;beta ? I won't argue, because I suppose I have no idea, but I've been doing it -mod=beta;DBE1 with all my shortcuts since 1.09b, and afaik I haven't had any problems as a result. What is the reason that it should not be done this way? huh.gif

dont nerf the sparks too much though. maybe a 30-45% reduction for the large sparks but the small sparks should stay the same.

Quote[/b] ]Are you sure it's supposed to be -mod=DBE1;beta ?

Well, the next mod in the target overwrites the previous mod(s), DBE1 is Queens Gambit, and the patch (that which modifies the game to version x.xx) is intended to overide the games original configs (DBE1 inclusive).

Addon 3rd party mods then come after.

Ah yes, good point; I hadn't thought of QG having its own configs but now that you mention it, it surely must :-\

I will see if i can determine what exactly this would cause to be fouled up... i have so many mods, everything probably got overwritten anyway wink_o.gif

About your rain script error it don't surprise me considering what the mission author write in his mission.

It's not the falt of Matt and here is the error.

Don't use a reserved name for your personnal var usage.

For example, source file: MP341Co35_Urban_Engagements.Sara.pbo

------------------------------------------------------

; Dynamic Weather script by misinformed.

?!local server:goto "clientloop"

#randomgenstart

rain=true

publicvariable "rain"

~1

-------------------------------------------------------

overwriting an interger value with a bool one..

here we go: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/rain