Sign in to follow this  
KorpeN

What after patch 1.08?

After the patch 1.08 what we must expect about?Another patch or the expansion?

Most likely another patch. We've got half a year or so until the expansion. (At least that's what I read?)

Probably a patch, then a beta, then another beta then the expansion pack. However, it all depends on 'IF' the expansion pack is released on time.

I'm actually hoping that not many more patches too soon.

Considering tools are on their way and I plan on making some things and patches can create version incompatibilities

However I always enjoy new features and refinements

Quote[/b] ]I'm actually hoping that not many more patches too soon.

I actually do hope that a 1.09 patch is in the works as there are really some showstoppers in the game that make it very hard to make working missions.

To cite a few:

- AI vehicles driving through walls on bridges, sinking themselves

- No AI fire behind sandbag walls (already assigned by Suma)

- Waypoints that do not work at all (GetIn causes Shaking Stevens effect)

- AI get´s partially lost sometimes

Actually I spend quite some time on producing workarounds for flaws that can destroy missions. Time that I would like to be spending on creating the mission.

My only plea for a patch, be it an interim 1.08-something or 1.09 patch is that the plane flight model be fixed for something that could actually be bearable, because the current one... banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif OFP's plane flight model would be good enough...

I think ArmA still has a few issues that absolutely need to be fixed.

The savegame bug, it is back from OFP and with these large missions and mods it is causing serious headaches. It really is limiting SP in ArmA. High priority IMO.

AI pathfinding: Infantry walk down the middle of a road, that is just not right. They get in the way of vehicles, and in combat that makes them very easy targets. Civilians do this too. They should keep next to the road, not on it.

They also keep on running down the road when they see an enemy. They should stop and shoot, or run for cover.

Bridges are another issue which doesn't need any more explanation.

AI getting stuck for no apparent reason and refusing to move. Very annoying when my AI squadmates just stop moving.

They also go through and get stuck in weird places, like under the terraces and in buildings that are not suppose to be enterable. Happens often in Southern Corazol and in Ortego for example.

AI still shooting at an MG nest after the gunner is dead, as well as at other vehicles. I have seen friendlies kill each other trying to destroy an empty UAZ MG/AGS30. They will fire a rocket at it or just shoot it and blow up nearby friendly soldiers/civilians in the process. I have seen them waste AT weapons at MG nests a well.

These cities could be so good for urban combat with AI if some issues were solved.

There are still some realism issues with weapons and vehicles, such as the ammo on the .50cal stryker being split into 100round mags. As well as not enough zoom.

The massive explosions when some vehicles explode is too much. A single crashing littlebird is enough to take out several buildings and armoured vehicles crazy_o.gif

Rudder in aircraft is still an issue. Way too weak, especially for planes. The throttle of planes also doesn't increase smoothly when I adjust it on my joystick, it seems to go up in steps - very large steps.

I hope 1.08 it's not the last patch before expansion,all I want is a patch to fix the choppers,they go down uber fast under fire from anything with a machine gun on top and combined with their laser accuracy is overkill.

Although some will say it's more realistic I disagree especially when you need AI chopper support,95% cases they see more ground than air. rofl.gif

Also the infantry pathfinding could be improved a little.

Balschoiw,nice sig you got there,first time I saw it I wanted to kill that insect on my monitor. biggrin_o.gif

Before we see another patch I think it would be great to have the Linux dedicated server. I've lost interest in multiplayer ArmA and don't think I'll go back to it until we get that; then I can play co-op with all my pals on our own server, just we still do with OpFlash.

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]I hope 1.08 it's not the last patch before expansion,all I want is a patch to fix the choppers,they go down uber fast under fire from anything with a machine gun on top and combined with their laser accuracy is overkill.

Agreed. Getting shot down in a few seconds by a T72 while you're flying at 200+ meters doesn't feel very realistic xD

Quote[/b] ]Balschoiw,nice sig you got there,first time I saw it I wanted to kill that insect on my monitor

offtopic You´re not alone. I know a certain oldtimer french person here at the forums who almost got his hand bruised while trying to get the bug offtopic end

biggrin_o.gif

i agree with Maddmatt.

and yes a new improved patchs "are" absolutely need before any expansion.

Ais keep walking trough hard solid objects and vehicles.

You actually get stuck in ladders in the newest patch, and I think that is a very critical bug.

- No AI fire behind sandbag walls (already assigned by Suma)

I posted an interim fix in the BTS, you can check it. I hope it works for you guys as well... smile_o.gif

Re OT: You're not talking about ran? whistle.gifrofl.gif

You actually get stuck in ladders in the newest patch, and I think that is a very critical bug.

I forgot about that one, also important. And sometimes when you get to the top of certain ladders, instead of moving onto the roof of the building, you fall back off the top of the ladder and can get injured or die.

Just yesterday I was playing online. After a perfect assault on a base with no casualties, a teammate suddenly died. When someone asked him over TS what happened, he said he died after he fell off a ladder, he was trying to get to a dead enemy sniper to get his dragunov crazy_o.gif

Buildings with ladders are deathtraps confused_o.gif

Are you guys trying to tell me that if you were flying a helicopter in the air in REAL LIFE and machine gun bullets were hitting your helicopter, you wouldn't be screaming bloody hell?

The more advanced helicopters may have armor, but normal helicopters are extremely fragile. As far as I can tell, I can escape incoming fire with a heli with a fuel leak maybe, and that seems realistic from infantry with a LMG. Its not like I explode in midair. Of course, if you're talking about Shilka or Vulcan bullets, those things are meant to shred in no time at all.

What I find a little too easy/unrealistic is taking to the air with an attack helicopter, finding and locking on 8 enemy tanks from far away, and cleaning those up before actually moving in for an attack run. How did it differentiate foe from friendly/civilian vehicles/metallic structures? The heli should require recon to verify target or come in closer to actually see what it's firing a missile at.

It's why I switch to using infantry AI to shield myself from those lock-on kills... you got to FIND us to KILL us! No easy fire and forget stuff here. Sucks to build up a large tank force in RTS-4 and in several seconds 2/3 of them are gone.

Too bad AI infantry can be frustrating. First time I told AA to shoot at a heli, they did. The rest of the time they wouldn't fire at all, even when I told them to rearm at an ammo box I created nearby. Had to switch to firing AA manually myself and letting my soldiers be a mix of AT and some anti infantry soldiers.

@Raedor:

Fix works great !

Still, we have to include the pbo with the missions we make.

But for now this works perfectly for me.

Thx !

Modaflanker,guess you didn't bother to read what I wrote at all,the problem is with the AI chopper support,they fly mindless into enemy fire and don't stand the chance.

What good is to have attack choppers in Arma if the AI is already in pieces before even reaching the battle and I'm not talking about Shilkas or other AA units.

Funny and ironical,you said that you think it's unrealistic for an attack chopper locking and destroying 8 tanks,how about this:in 1.08 a single T72 machine gun gunned down in seconds my 3 AI Cobras(only one managed to fire a missile before going down).Amazing balance we have there.

Next time try to use a little more AI air support and tell me if thats ok to you.

Birds are not terminators to withstand heavy enemy fire but you have to take in account that in Arma,the AI when flying doesn't try to avoid fire at all unlike a human player.

They need to fix that nomem issue for the 8800 users, it should be top on their list since.

>in Arma,the AI when flying doesn't try to avoid fire at all unlike a human player.

So the fix for that should be to improve the AI behaviour, not turn the helicopters into flying tanks. At least make them stand off even if proper evasive flying, using terrain as cover etc. is too hard.

Personally I don't think the ability to lock onto targets at long range and distinguish friend from foe is unrealistic - the game doesn't show you exactly how this is being done, but there is technology to help with this. Remember that Hellfire, for example, has a 6km range...not much point building missiles with ranges like that if you can never make use of it!

>in Arma,the AI when flying doesn't try to avoid fire at all unlike a human player.

So the fix for that should be to improve the AI behaviour, not turn the helicopters into flying tanks. At least make them stand off even if proper evasive flying, using terrain as cover etc. is too hard.

Personally I don't think the ability to lock onto targets at long range and distinguish friend from foe is unrealistic - the game doesn't show you exactly how this is being done, but there is technology to help with this. Remember that Hellfire, for example, has a 6km range...not much point building missiles with ranges like that if you can never make use of it!

Or lower the accuracy of those laser machine guns,I don't think AI flying behaviour will be improved a lot.In my missions I noticed in those few seconds that my AI Cobras are in the air two situations happening:either the machine gun on the T72 kills the Cobras gunner or they hit something vital in the chopper with a precision that even Zaytsev will be jelous.

"Also the infantry pathfinding could be improved a little." rofl.gif

A little? Whatever the problem is Ai or the island the system needs a serious overhaul.

The loons are completely unable to navigate the cities and bridges in Sahrani properly especially the bridges and when the bridges are blown up the ai finally takes the right path to the bridge and commit suicide trying to drive a bridge there isn't there anymore crazy_o.gif

Come on BIS for god sakes do something about this.

In Ofp making missions was a constant battle against the the engine and in ArmA it's even worse.

Just like Balschoiw said the time in making workarounds for these problems would be better spent on making the mission

Edit. Sorry if i'm ranting or whining but this problem really pisses me of.

Seeing that the expansion has officially been announced, and said to include "the latest patch 1.08" I believe it unlikely that a new patch will supercede it. As the release date is set for September, that seems to be the time frame to look beyond for any new patches.

Unless they generate a full patch and incorporate it into the expansion, we will be waiting until afterwards, apparently.

I dunno..

Dont we already have the 'latest' patch 1.08? confused_o.gif

I would doubt they would release a newer 1.08 with an expansion. Doesnt make any sense.

It looks to me (hope it is anyway) that the Queens Gambit will sit separately from the main game - It being just a few campaigns and multiplayer missions.

Engine patches will hopefully be released to everyone - whether you have the expansion or not.

Can anyone really expect us to pay for an expansion to fix engine issues that were present in 1.0? crazy_o.gif

#C