Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Fastroping Addons Thread

fr1.jpg

Well, I've started working on a fastroping mod for Arma. My goal is to bring a realistic, visually pleasing, and multiplayer functional fastroping option to any chopper. fastroping is one of those cool extra features that makes a game more exciting, and I think we can recreate it well in Arma.

Here's what I have so far:

--------------------------

Basic rope simulation using modified flag class

simple rope model  (untextured)

A working in progress MH-60L that will act as an example for final release.

A few reference pictures and a basic understanding of how it should work.

What I need:

-------------------------

Fastroping animation for the unit (static or animated)

More information on what situations it would be used in

(Is it used to extract units too?)

Any pics or reference material

I want to simulate the swaying/ inertia of any roped cargo, but I suck at math ironically. I always thought "when am I going to use this crap?", now I used it daily lol smile_o.gif

Problems to overcome:

-----------------------

modified flag class messes up the ordinary flag. It doesn't blow in the wind and its texture is messed up. I need to find a way to have the rope use its own cfgcloth class. Might need BIS's help for this one.

Position script not that great for multiplayer. Needs some serious testing/tweeking/rewriting/rethinking

Anyways, I would like this to be a place for open discussion of fastroping mods, not just my own. If you have any ideas/ reference/ personal experience, please post it up. I've read lots of posts in this forum and the ofp forum, and I understand that most people are keen on fastroping, so if you have a preference or suggestion post it please!

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums....ch2.flv

The rope can be used for extractions. Soldiers clip onto the rope at various intervals and the aircraft can fly off with them dangling beneath it. Soldiers can also be hung from the rope and inserted through that method, as well. The method is called SPIES, not fast roping though.

It would look something like this quick picture I found, but keep in mind, the distance of the soldiers from the aircraft can vary:

050422rope5qx4.jpg

ok, if your intention is to make fast roping possible in the game, you don't need to worry about how it looks when the aircraft is moving. you should only concentrate on the physics of it falling down while the chooper is in a hover and when it is released after the teams insert. the only reason you should worry about how it looks with the aircraft moving is if you include script for conducting SPIES (where the team is extracted while attached to the rope).

the vid looks great and i hope to see your work get completerd.

tounge2.gif , me and Clav making the same point at the same time. it's true!!! SOF soldiers do think alike crazy_o.gif

tounge2.gif , me and Clav making the same point at the same time. it's true!!! SOF soldiers do think alike crazy_o.gif

Yeah, lol.

Sakura, basically, the main thing to keep in mind about fast roping is that the aircraft should be as level as possible and as still as possible. Generally speaking, after the procedure is complete, the ropes are jettisioned and the aircraft continues with the flight pattern.

As far as the actual technique, it's not the most difficult thing in the world. The best way for me to describe it is that it's just like sliding down a regular rope, except the rope just happens to be a bit thicker than normal.

Here, this video on Youtube is a demo of a simulated Air Assault op performed by soldiers of the 101st Division (ABN)(AASLT)

*edit*

whopos, forgot video

And some fast roping:

How many ropes would a blackhawk carry? Just the one? Is there a way to retract it if the drop is aborted?

There's one on each side, and there should be a winch or something, it's been awhile since Air Assault school, but if I were the operator I would just jettison the rope if something bad happened there's no sense in having a large rope dragging around and forcing the pilot to have to account for it while in a hazardous situation, you know?

*edit*

For game purposes, I would make an "unlimited," supply of ropes or some way for the aircraft to land and replenish it's supply.

Here you go:

Air_Assault(blackhawk).gif

the pic that Clav used is standard rappeling and is not commonly used as much. if you want fast roping, use two ropes on each cargo bay door (use only one for arma because BIS decided to use the uh60 with seats and only one open cargo bay door). hopefully, a new BH will be made with the seats ripped out and both cargo doors are open (like BAS BH's). so, use only one rope for now where the door opens. thumbs-up.gif

damn, you already got it that way, my bad crazy_o.gif

u can add second rope to the opened cargo bay, untill we can get both sides open.

could u use the climb ladder animation, as it would suit the roping animation, untill something else is developed.

I'm glad to see that you are working on this issue ! Fast roping should have been included in the original game, anyway... confused_o.gif

The rope physics look nice, it's a good idea to have it included. Hope you'll find the right animation for roping down, waiting for a proper anim (we need tools !wink_o.gif. As Puma said, maybe the climb ladder down may fit.

Malick

the ladder is mainly used for extractions, not inserting troops quickly. i would recommend sticking with the fast rope as the insertion method and make a ladder for extractions.

the ladder is mainly used for extractions, not inserting troops quickly. i would recommend sticking with the fast rope as the insertion method and make a ladder for extractions.

This is what the BAS UH60's had in OFP and it worked really well. Sakura, do you still have OFP installed? If you haven't already seen them I'd strongly recommend looking at the BAs blackhawks and their rope/ladder functionality.

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd....AM1.zip

Though a ladder would be neat for extraction, I think the point was just using the ladder animation as a temporary workaround for the lack of proper anim.

Malick

This is what the BAS UH60's had in OFP and it worked really well. Sakura, do you still have OFP installed? If you haven't already seen them I'd strongly recommend looking at the BAs blackhawks and their rope/ladder functionality.

And who says the BAS helicopters wont have a similar/more advanced system for ArmA? wink_o.gif

And who says the BAS helicopters wont have a similar/more advanced system for ArmA? wink_o.gif

is this some kind of hint? wink_o.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

more the merrier I say, there's more than one way to simulate a guy falling down a rope biggrin_o.gif

more the merrier I say, there's more than one way to simulate a guy falling down a rope  biggrin_o.gif

lol you aint going to do a BHD movie mod do you wow_o.gif

very nice! but don't forget that fast roping, spies and other methods are addicted to airspeed and weather conditions wink_o.gif

Hey, good stuff here..

Any type of fastroping will be good..

Maybe absailing down buildings too ya?..

Then breaching through a window.. pistols.gif

...The rope physics look nice, it's a good idea to have it included. ...

There's no controllable / relative physics involved if you use a CfgCloth form. It looks pretty, but that's it, visuals only.

The ArmA doesn't have a engine like HL2, or some kind of HAVOK, does it?

It would be lovely (but at the same my PC will blow up) to have some kind of real Ragdoll.

When i say real i say a ragdoll or HAVOK without the comon problems like that a corpse or an object is being fusing with the ground, bulding or other object and if you shoot/walk over/or just see it the bloody thing goes off towards anywhere.

But well, dreams are dreams.

Or maybe we can join BIS with Valve and make them work together to make the perfect game (not the perfect, Hideo Kijima is not there huh.gif maybe we can call him...).

And i never said that it has to be something without guns or kidnappings... whistle.gif