Sign in to follow this  
Elliot Carver

HDS New Project

Frontscreensmall.jpg

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>English Countryside: Dorset</span>

"A level of detail God would be proud of"

Lo folks,

In 2005 it was suggested to us that Operation Flashpoint was lacking an English island. High Definition Scenery (HDS) Mod was created and swung into action practising building detailed islands like Michelle. When Armed Assault was announced it was decided that the English Countryside (ECS) project would be shelved until the new game was released. Laura Island was developed to show the community what we were capable of.

With the successes of Laura we went dark. Each buying copies of ArmA, we spent the winter testing and practising, discovering how far we could push the game engine. Re-emerging in the spring with a larger team we dusted off the ECS project and began compiling a depository of scenery objects. With news filtering through that tool release is eminent we have decided its time to go topside with our definitive project.

Ladies and Gents, HDS presents the English Countryside Project. 4.3 x 3.1 miles of the Queens finest, greenest land. Utilising every resource available from Satellite data to OS maps, hundreds of photographs to area visits HDS aims to bring Armed Assault its first REAL environment copied from mother natures playground itself.

From every field to under every branch no hedge, tree or log will be left out. What you see out your bedroom window will be what you get. If this doesn't scare you the startled animals will. God save the Queen!

1-2.jpg

Awesome dude Gothic Paradise, our resident modeler, has been busy turning photographs of everyday objects into models. Below is a teaser of the work hes been pumping out. We aim to get as many English objects into game as possible. Gates, fences, telegraph poles, bins, greenery and wildlife we're producing a pack of each plus many more. These will be released shortly after our first ECS release goes live. Of course, we are working on animating as much scenery as possible. Gothic Paradise and Strabo are coding in animations for opening gates, working electric fences and much more.

You can track our progress on our website www.freewebs.com/elliot_carver and we'll keep you posted on the ArmA.info forums. For now here are GP's pics and a few teaser shots from our finial testing work.

*note* Better sized pics (links) can be found on my website HERE

Cheers,

HDS TEAM

2-2.jpg3-2.jpg4-3.jpg5-1.jpg

Great!

One question though; There are still issues with foliage lag, even with those of us with high-end gaming PC's. How are you going to be able to avoid this?

lo folks,

cheers for all the good stuff ^^

@Marines: HDS has spent alot of time over the Winter and Spring time testing how far we can push the envelope with reguards to objects and foliage. Here (scroll down) is some examples of what we've been able to come up with that does not effect gameplay. As with previous releases from HDS we provide high, medium and low versions of our islands for their corresponding users PC spec.

Also were aiming for it to be real enough that taking 100 troops and 16 tanks through it wont be needed smile_o.gif.

Cheers dudes, smile_o.gif

Carver

HDS TEAM

Looking good. Hopefully u can model some carrot crunchers for us to destroy too wink_o.gif

Sounds like a LOT of hard work!

Good luck with it guys im looking forward to it smile_o.gif

Well with the news of the tools starting to come out next week Elliot can start the landscape part of the project soon. smile_o.gif

Sounds like an amazing project.

Can't wait to walk/drive around in more beautiful places.

Good luck with this project!

MfG Lee thumbs-up.gif

Wow! that looks like a lot of work notworthy.gif

I'm from Dorset myself so something like this would be a home from home for me, what part of the county is it?

Do you intend to progress down to the coast? So many interesting geographic features there!

Peace out

Stuntboy

Looking very nice fella.

Are all these editor based creations atm to showcase your work?

Looking forward to seeing some more results, as this is right up my street.

Nick

smile_o.gif

This sounds like a good project esp with it being on Mainland UK.. Hope you dont forget to add Bovington as well wink_o.gif

This looks great I'm from the next county over in Devon so i will enjoy this. I would love to make torbay for arma perhaps i will try

This sounds like a good project esp with it being on Mainland UK.. Hope you dont forget to add Bovington as well wink_o.gif

And maybe Portland harbour, Then again why not the whole of portland as an island?

Nice!

But hey,what about Somerset? tounge2.gif

You could play hold the Tor from a bunch of armed hippies, armed with love inlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gif

peace out

stuntboy

lol

How about i guard Riche's and Mudgleys cider farms! pistols.gifpistols.gif

i AM the cider drinker!

sorry for off topic! Bridgwater -Somerset! xmas_o.gif

Well just outside Bridgwater! wink_o.gif

OOO-ar I''m a cider drinker......

actually I hate cider

But in respect to the original poster......all write mate,... you've got to model maiden castle.....it's the worlds first fort. Don't do the Devon coast. darn those westerners

stunt

Hmm yeah When we were an ofp clan,we did have a talented member that did make a UK island!

Was not to total scale but did the job!

Was gonna be released to the community,but fooked if i know what went wrong!

Anyways good luck! smile_o.gif

maiden castle.....it's the worlds first fort.

No it's not! It only dates from the Iron Age! biggrin_o.gif

Hope you all finish this British "island", though.