Sign in to follow this  
celery

Separate editing forums - was it a good idea?

The OFP mission editing forum has been in the modding-section for several years now and it wasnt a problem with that so its not a problem with the Arma mission editing forum either.

Arguements like "its too much clicking to find the forum" tells me the internet is not for you.

At the bottom of the screen whether you're browsing a forum or a thread you will see a FORUM JUMP. If you cant be bothered to navigate to a different board-section I suggest you use the forum jump instead smile_o.gif

The mission editing forum will remain alongside all the other editing and modding-forums for consistency.

Quote[/b] ]The mission editing forum will remain alongside all the other editing and modding-forums for consistency.

Shouldn´t arma addons-mod´s complete and arma addon-mod´s discussion be moved out of the Arma section aswell according to that logic ?

I think it´s not that good the have Arma -editing separated from the Arma complex, but whatever.

Shouldn´t arma addons-mod´s complete and arma addon-mod´s discussion be moved out of the Arma section aswell according to that logic ?

The addons and mods discussion/complete forums are not editing forums. They are general discussions forums about the addons.

Quote[/b] ]The OFP mission editing forum has been in the modding-section for several years now and it wasnt a problem with that so its not a problem with the Arma mission editing forum either.

Arguements like "its too much clicking to find the forum" tells me the internet is not for you.

At the bottom of the screen whether you're browsing a forum or a thread you will see a FORUM JUMP. If you cant be bothered to navigate to a different board-section I suggest you use the forum jump instead

The mission editing forum will remain alongside all the other editing and modding-forums for consistency.

Yes, Democracy lives.

I know discussing moderation isn't in order, but this is discussing your comment, not your moderation decision. That argument is so patronising and condesending its beyond belief.

Personally I think the separation of the forums is stupid, and voted no. However, I'm nowhere near naive enough to think that this particular forum will bow to what people want.

The addons and mods discussion/complete forums are not editing forums. They are general discussions forums about the addons.

So why where the Mission Editing Fourms are is the title called

ADDON/MOD & MISSION MAKING

Explain!!!  wink_o.gif

--

this is stupid, its isnt it logical for a business to listern to there customers?

and isnt this going agaist what the poll and people are saying? wink_o.gif  confused_o.gif   crazy_o.gif

Yes it was a good idea.

For me it is easier and faster to find to the ArmA Editing Board as it is now.

If the ArmA Editing section is moved under the ArmA board as it is now, it would require one more click with a mouse to reach it from the frontpage. This is so high a price to pay that I'd rather not do it. The "Forum jump" menu gives access to Mission Editing board with 2 clicks though, which equals to the amount of clicks if the ArmA Editing board is like it is currently. But "Forum jump" is not visible on all sections of the forum for some odd reason.

Also the Editing board is different in nature to the other boards. Other boards get a lot of bullshit posts and fighting but the Editing board is much cleaner.

Best Regards,

Baddo.

What?

Quote[/b] ]this is stupid, its isnt it logical for a business to listern to there customers?

We listen. From a business standpoint its not always logical to do what the customers say.

Quote[/b] ]We listen. From a business standpoint its not always logical to do what the customers say.

Can we make sure that BIS print that on the front of all forthcoming releases please? Pretty much sums up most of the gripes about ArmA. rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]We listen. From a business standpoint its not always logical to do what the customers say.

Can we make sure that BIS print that on the front of all forthcoming releases please? Pretty much sums up most of the gripes about ArmA. rofl.gif

People whined about the FM: BI changed the FM (multiple times)

People whined about the grass: BI changed the grass

People whined about bugs: BI reads the bugtracker and fixes whatever necessary

People suggest too much: BI cannot do everything ffs

Come on, give them a break, its not like they arent trying, and the complains about bugs mostly changed to complains about features that people want added.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Come on, give them a break, its not like they arent trying, and the complains about bugs mostly changed to complains about features that people want added.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jep. I really don't understand what's wrong with ppl...

I guess they act this boy-ish because they can while in reallife they would have a foot in the face...

This is a company forum, not a digg-this and digg-that.

It's not a democracy at all, if you thought it was well, then news for you; it isn't.

If there are suggestions, BI can consider them, or not, however they please.

I never experienced a game-forum where there was even listened remotely to what members wanted and the same for listening to it's customers with the patches etc. etc.

www.joomla.org www.phpbb.com , go ahead, create ur own forum and site exactly as you want it.

O.T:

I think it was a good idea to move the boards.

I didn't know that moderator/forum admin actions directly affect the development team's resources. If the admin panel is anything like I imagine, it takes a few clicks from an admin to save thousands of clicks from other users.

If the admin panel is anything like I imagine, it takes a few clicks from an admin to save thousands of clicks from other users.

It only takes a few clicks to move a forum from one section to another.

We dont structure the board after lowest possible clicks for the user. If we did that everything would be one big forum(mess).

We structure the board based on common sense.

The mission editing forum is in the same section as everything else modding-related to the game.

Baddo hit the nail on the head with:

Quote[/b] ]Also the Editing board is different in nature to the other boards. Other boards get a lot of bullshit posts and fighting but the Editing board is much cleaner.

The editing forums are all about learning and sharing experiences. A mission maker is not interested  in personal opinions and long-winded debates, he (or she) just want a solution or an explanation to his/her problem.

Sickboy, I'm quite happy for you to know where I live, where I work if you think that makes my points any less invalid by not knowing them.

The company doesn't run this board, the moderators do. They do it on a non commercial basis so it doesn't matter whether its in BIS's name or not. It also has nothing to do with the company or the game that I found Shadow's reaction to peoples valid arguments wholly offensive.

In what way was it a business choice to take arma related topics out of the arma section?

Consistency must be very subjective.

For casual users, from whom, let's face it, BIS is making the majority of their money, it's not so obvious that the sections are apart.

edit: my point is, Editing is such an essential part of what makes arma brilliant that it Should be obvious.

What?

One who opens thy eyes shall see truth. ^^

Zoom out to the BI FORUMS and its a Header in Blue. Just above where it says ArmA Editing.

In what way was it a business choice to take arma related topics out of the arma section?

Consistency must be very subjective.

For casual users, from whom, let's face it, BIS is making the majority of their money, it's not so obvious that the sections are apart.

I didn't say that it was a business choice. I said the BIS forums are a company forum and not a community forum by some privatees.

Even though the forums are moderated by moderators, doesn't mean that the forum is theirs or whatsoever.

As Shadow explained, choices are being made with the company in mind and not about how many clicks users must make.

About consistency, as the ofp forums also were together in the editing area, I guess it's kinda consistent that the ArmA forum is there now also right?

Besides, about the remark on address and stuff; that's not the issue here, me having your address is not going to change how you act and react here.

When ppl meet in reallife, i'm sure everyone applies normal behaviour rules. While being with friends you screw around and slap eachother on the back of the head and call em wankers... But you don't do this inside a business or when talking to persons about things.

Anyway, this is a bit unrelated to the posts made in this thread, it's more a general thought I have, and it annoys me daily.

About consistency, as the ofp forums also were together in the editing area, I guess it's kinda consistent that the ArmA forum is there now also right?

More than 2 to 1 says you're more wrong than you're right.

Separate editing forums are a very good idea. It keeps the bollocks of the "user"-forums away from the "editors"-forum.

I also don't see "It takes 2 seconds longer to get there" as a problem. This simply means that the twitchy impatient people don't even bother to go there "H0w M3 m4ke NUK3!!?!?!" and the place is left to people with valid editing problems.

I can't argue with the "My god,something changed,change it back!" argument , if you don't like change , this is quite a problem , but I figure in that case one can just imagine that it has been like this all the time smile_o.gif

More than 2 to 1 says you're more wrong than you're right.

Very useful these cryptic messages.
Quote[/b] ]I can't argue with the "My god,something changed,change it back!" argument , if you don't like change , this is quite a problem , but I figure in that case one can just imagine that it has been like this all the time smile_o.gif
Jep.. And that's the whole deal... People are afraid of change. Changing their habbits etc.. I don't get it either. Esp since it's not changing every minute/day/week biggrin_o.gif

Hey,

also one point you should consider is that creating content for Operation Flashpoint and for Armed Assault are close to each other; why put them far apart from each other in the forum?

Best Wishes,

Baddo.

From a business standpoint its not always logical to do what the customers say.

From a custumer's e.g. market rule standpoint is logical that with such approach you're soon out of business.

@ofpforum - it would me more logical and above all polite if you would use 'complained' instead of 'whined' word, but ,,, suit yourself.

And, I think it's good that the editing forums are 'on their own', far away from all this 'general' BS discussions.

And, I think it's good that the editing forums are 'on their own', far away from all this 'general' BS discussions.

That's one point I agree on. Perhaps it's not so bad after all that the editing forums are so "remote".

I tink this aint a bad idea keeps the forum neat the only ting is that most forums have offtopic as the last board so most people dont look under it missing the editing forums.

This week i have seen multipel topics that where moved by mods to the editing forums.

So putting them above the offtopic one would probally give the mods less work.

From a custumer's e.g. market rule standpoint is logical that with such approach you're soon out of business.

Quote[/b] ]@ofpforum - it would me more logical and above all polite if you would use 'complained' instead of 'whined' word, but ,,, suit yourself.
Kinda agreed :P
Quote[/b] ]

That I personally do not understand really...

Let's put it this way... BIS is a company, professional in what they do, at least, if you ask me. Anyway, there are hundreds of users that have their ideas, views and think they know and own the whole world. Really, it seems to be like that...

Consumers think like consumers, businessmen think like businessmen, logical because how can a consumer (who does not have or studied business) think like a business man? Anyway... at the end of the day you will notice that 80% of the ideas of customers on how the business should be ran, how the forums should be ran, or how the game should be, is NOT better than what the company itself thought out or that there are other move reasons WHY things are as they are. Even if half of the forum would disagree, BI+Moderators do operate from an area where they have expertise in, does not mean that they are always correct, does also not mean they are perfect, but it should mean that they know what they are talking about, while many customers who actually claim they do... actually don't at all :-)

Also business politics/policy is very different depending very much on the area of business. What works for a Car-seller, does not have to work for a Book-seller. What works for a professional-application developer, does not have to work for a games-developer. Market is different, business is different, audience is different, etc. etc.

Anyway, I hope i made some sense in this rant :P

Anyway, I hope i made some sense in this rant :P

Not really.