Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V3.0

Well, this 3.0 version smile_o.gif it's another better relase yay.gif

It's look like new ver. is runing much faster and reciving data is also faster, that's v.good smile_o.gif

Bug report:

Something strange happens, when I was a medic and when I healed on someons MASH I've recived 12 points! whistle.gif it was a medic award.

Sugestion:

Today on SES server I've made a mistake and I've land on air field in a place where an A-10 was taking of (I didn't see him) and I've made BIG MESS smile_o.gif So i think there should be some kind of warning system when I'm approaching to airfield smile_o.gif should be susefull whistle.gif

Playing this mission is useless, AI are just like zombies spawning all the time, last night i was having over 800 kills and we didnt even made first town :S

Still having a the same problem as you.

Killjoy told me to keep an AI player in the zone?

How am I suppose to do that if I one of us crash, and the AI gets booted, then the town is repopulated.

I think if it were to repopulate to save CPU usage while out of the city, only REPOPULATE THE SAME AMOUNT OF UNITS THAT WERE IN THE TOWN WHEN YOU LEFT. Else, the Tower is Still up, keep the re-inforcements, but I step out of the gray area or engage from outside the gray area, its useless. I have my viewing distance at 2100m, and I don't want to think, no I better not engage that Tank with my Javelin just yet, I'm not in the gray area.

We are still playing Evolution 1.5a on our Letum VeloX server. I just wish I could tweak the respawn of the AI, because honestly this kills our small 6 man squad base. (Yes you can take your time, yes we can be 40 kills and 0 deaths, but then some freak accident may happen, or super AI cracks us off.

How am I suppose to do that if I one of us crash, and the AI gets booted, then the town is repopulated.

If 2 or more people are playing the map, why aren't there 2 or more people's AI in the area?

I love how it is now, dumbing it down and making it easier only hurts the masses who play it with more than 2 guys at a time.

If 2 or more people are playing the map, why aren't there 2 or more people's AI in the area?

I love how it is now, dumbing it down and making it easier only hurts the masses who play it with more than 2 guys at a time.

We don't use AI.

We use real human players. And we have 6 Human players playing.

We aren't asking for it to be dubbed down. 1.5a worked well for us.

We don't use AI.

We use real human players. And we have 6 Human players playing.

We aren't asking for it to be dubbed down. 1.5a worked well for us.

Don't we all use humans? You can't start it with AI.

In Evolution, when you gain rank, you go to the recruiting office and recruit some for your use. You take those guys, and put them in "the zone" or "the area" of the city.

If you hate using AI guys, or refuse to, that's your choice, not the map Evolutions problem and the map shouldn't be changed just because of it.

IE - if you don't feel like using AI to help you bring you repair trucks, or drive back fixed vehicles to the airbase and other odds and ends tasks, that's your choice. But that doesn't mean Evolution should be rewritten either.

In 1.5, if you didn't leave a man in the city (human or AI), the city repopulated. That existed in 1.5x just like it does in 3.x.

The ONLY major difference in 1.5 to 3.0 is the radio tower calling in reinforcemens and being more aggressive about it. Otherwise, functions just the same.

People used to complain that the game was way super-easy for servers with more than 5-10 people... and now people are complaining it's too hard.

You can't make it "harder" in 1.5, because the enemy was weak. But in 3.0, it's much better, and the small squads CAN keep it from being overly hard by doing one simple, easy little task:

SEND AN AI GUY INTO THE WOODS NEAR A CITY AND SIT HIM THERE.

Boom, that's it. Arguments over, everything easy as pie.

I don't get all the debate about it - really, how hard it is it send one AI guy into the woods and let the mission stay hard like it is for the masses?

What this mission *really* needs bad is Norrin's Revive-Respawn script.

i can support this 200%. best addition to evolution would be the revive script. a simple feature with a huge impact on gameplay.

every single mission i've played that made use of the revive script was light years ahead from everything else running on public servers in terms of teamplay experience.

here's my suggestions regarding revive restrictions as mentioned before:

Quote[/b] ]let everyone revive each other, but ...

a) give medics a higher score for successfully reviving others

b) let soldiers who have been revived by a non-medic spawn in a wounded state (but able to walk)

c) let the killed player (who is in waiting/spectating mode) decide if to respawn at base or not after a given timeout (say 1 minute)

I know what you're looking for :

Enemy territory ! rofl.gif

Now, let's stop this stupid idea of reviving someone that is dead, please. We're talking about ArmA and OFP, not childstuff.

confused_o.gif

Thanks.

The things I think that could use work are:

1) Enemy AA, it's too weak.

Maybe you should play in veteran mode.... whistle.gif

The things I think that could use work are:

1) Enemy AA, it's too weak.

Maybe you should play in veteran mode.... whistle.gif

Now, let's stop this stupid idea of reviving someone that is dead, please. We're talking about ArmA and OFP, not childstuff.

True, after all - having a medic repair you and bring you back to fighting capability isn't realistic - but having you respawn back from the dead a few hundred times, is. icon_rolleyes.gif

Again, Revive just isn't all about "realistic", it's far more about encouraging Co-Op play by people playing Co-Op.

Play a revive map with your friends using Norrin's script and come back and tell me how horrible it was for team play. Trust me, you won't, ever.

Again, if you look in the old 70+ page evolution thread, you'll find I was always against the revive stuff. Always.

But then Norrin's stuff came along and I checked it out with an open mindframe and "just wow".

I think if you put a revive script with the medics, where the medic has to be close to the down player (pretty much on him) and have to stay there for a while (5+ secs) before the player will revive then that would be awesome. It would make it so you don't have to drive so friggin' far when you die.

Great mission Kiljoy, it continues to Evolve into better versions smile_o.gif

The version I played last night was 1.5m, one thing I noticed is that the engineer can play the system somewhat, and respawn the FARP wherever he crashed his helicopter smile_o.gif this means that the engineer basically has a permanent helicopter for as long as he is alive, and can instantly get a helicopter as soon as he can reach a crashed one.

I wouldn't be adverse to trying a version that had only pilots allowed to fly wink_o.gif be a bit annoying to most people, but would encourage teamwork. Can some feature like this be made a game option of something? Same feature could have some helos NEED a crew etc (pilot, engineer), for the hardcore players wink_o.gif

The version I played last night was 1.5m, one thing I noticed is that the engineer can play the system somewhat, and respawn the FARP wherever he crashed his helicopter smile_o.gif this means that the engineer basically has a permanent helicopter for as long as he is alive, and can instantly get a helicopter as soon as he can reach a crashed one.

You need to play the current version, 3.x. wink_o.gif

In this version, a Support truck needs to be literally with the Engineer for him to create his FARP/Repair pad. Unless he can fly a truck - no worries smile_o.gif

(IE, Kiljoy solved this already)

I agree with satexas69, this mission needs a revive/respawn script. I've asked for it back in the previously released versions but with a twist. For those who don't like it, have the option to

1. spawn at the base

2. spawn at a farp

3. spawn on a leader

4. spawn at a moving spawn point

5. or...

A typical comment of somebody who hasn't tried it out in ArmA. banghead.gif

Have you ever thought about how stupid the idea is of having to respawn back at the HQ over and over again? With every death you get ripped out of your team and have to reestablish contact in order to fight again as part of your old team. Which is a friggin pain in the ass and the main reason why 99% of coop players don't give a damn about teamplay.

I know that "revive" sounds terribly gamey and unrealistic, but unless you try it out for yourself and see how it impacts teamplay you have no idea what this is about.

The big advantage is - in short terms - that any group of people can stay and fight together for as long as their members are perceived as a useful part of that group. No need to get ripped out of action and be "teleported" and "respawned" back at the HQ where the annoying yelling out for transport is going on all the time. But even with the revive script, you should be free to opt out for a HQ respawn anytime, of course.

Maybe to alleviate the scepticism and for added 'realism' (?) the number of successive "revives" can be limited, even.

Dunno who said that seeing through hangars through the humvee windows, pretty sure it's only the terrain and certain objects you see. When looking through the humvee windows it doesn't seem to show any trees, infantry or other vehicles for that matter. Pretty sure the hangar thing is the same way.

Besides its a game bug not an Evolution bug AFAIK.

Thats correct. You can only see terrain through the glass of the vehicles through the hangar wall.

Revive we be a good idea. Medic's are pretty limited to what they can do and are often stuck somewhere safe until someone is injured. If someone needs reviving then there can be teamwork where the medic is covered to revive etc.

It opens up something new for A co-op map and I think it will work well.

For Clairification, and those that don't know:

Norrin (a guy on here) created a revive-respawn system that when your "dead", you lay unconsicous and a camera goes to the nearest friendly player and centers on him (and gives you that guy's name on the screen). You lay there until someone comes to "revive" you, which looks like a medic healing you and does take like 4-7 seconds (like someone else on this thread mentioned it should).

IF you don't want to be revived, or wait to be revived, then you can hit the "respawn" button, and you respawn back to the base (or in Kiljoy's case, airport).

This does WONDERS for "teamplay" as people have pointed out.

I'm "against" multiple spawn points, that really takes away from Evolution and the way Kiljoy has it set up. But I think "revive" would do WONDERS.

I also think "everyone" should be able to revive, not just medics. Why? Well in a small group, always having to have a medic and then an engineer in your group is a pain - and if the medic's the one that get's killed, even more a pain... but that's just my opinion.

I don't know, however, if Kiljoy is interested in this yet (he has yet to comment that I've seen), nor do I know if he can incorporate Norrin's script into his custom mission scripts and the way he has the "player system" set up... but I'm betting it wouldn't be difficult.

You can read about Norrin's script HERE:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=58490

If you've used the old OFP revive script, or the old one that's circulating around here - with the "bodies under blankets" one - then you REALLY need to check out Norrin's... it's "groundbreaking" in comparison. A very high quality and well done script with lots of features/customizations.

And knowing Norrin, I have no doubt he'd be happy to help Kiljoy with any needs. Both are great guys and assets to this community.

Quote[/b] ]

In 1.5, if you didn't leave a man in the city (human or AI), the city repopulated. That existed in 1.5x just like it does in 3.x.

The ONLY major difference in 1.5 to 3.0 is the radio tower calling in reinforcemens and being more aggressive about it. Otherwise, functions just the same.

The AI doesn't repopulate, or isnt' so visual about doing so. Seeing them actually spawn in mass whords isn't so great. And Try sending loads of orders to your squad mates having to avoid the AI set at F3.

True, after all - having a medic repair you and bring you back to fighting capability isn't realistic - but having you respawn back from the dead a few hundred times, is. icon_rolleyes.gif

Again, Revive just isn't all about "realistic", it's far more about encouraging Co-Op play by people playing Co-Op.

Play a revive map with your friends using Norrin's script and come back and tell me how horrible it was for team play. Trust me, you won't, ever.

Again, if you look in the old 70+ page evolution thread, you'll find I was always against the revive stuff. Always.

But then Norrin's stuff came along and I checked it out with an open mindframe and "just wow".

I think that the current respawn the HQ is of course very anoying, at first thought.

But it forces you to take care of your teammates and yourself, especially if you don't want to cross hundreds miles again to rejoin the group.

It forces you to play better I think.

The revive option would decrease the quality of the players I guess.

confused_o.gif

But these are just my thoughts.

If Kiljoy wants to implement this, fine. I'll just keep the old version of Evolution, like many guys will.

firefoxlover.gif

I second the idea of adding a server option to disable Cobras - am getting sick and tired of working my derriere off for 3 hours to earn the use of a Cobra only to be whined and moaned at by bitter little people who have just joined the server and resent seeing someone else racking up kills with better equipment.

Seriously, some idiot actually shot out my tail rotor while I was providing CAS over Dolores last night, unbelievable. I'd rather there were NO cobras up at all if the children on public servers can't accept that the game doesnt stop and start when they join/leave - it's just not fun to play in this atmosphere.

Here's a hint: if you are on the ground and you see a friendly cobra overhead, ASK him to support your advance, or maybe even direct him to targets and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Rant over thumbs-up.gif

True, after all - having a medic repair you and bring you back to fighting capability isn't realistic - but having you respawn back from the dead a few hundred times, is.   icon_rolleyes.gif

I think that the current respawn the HQ is of course very anoying, at first thought.

But it forces you to take care of your teammates and yourself, especially if you don't want to cross hundreds miles again to rejoin the group.

It forces you to play better I think.

The revive option would decrease the quality of the players I guess.

confused_o.gif

But these are just my thoughts.

If Kiljoy wants to implement this, fine. I'll just keep the old version of Evolution, like many guys will.

firefoxlover.gif

Agreed. If revive is available, people will be more likely to go banzai in an attack instead of being careful and thoughtful. I have seen that in other games where revive is available. No need to be careful if there is a medic nearby.

If so many people really insist on this, then make it painful...every time you get revived you lose 5 points. If the medic gets points for reving someone, then this leads to abuse and everyone will be a medic to get the big points, people will team up and 1 guy will walk off a building just so his bud can rev him and get some points. It will happen, it happens in other games, (BF2), and while I really enjoy that game, I want to play ArmA for a different experience, not to play BF2 with different graphics.

@KilJoy

satexas and I have been commenting based on our experience with Norrin's Revive-Respawn script, yet after looking at pages 4 through 8 of this thread, you haven't responded to either of us with a comment. We're interested in what you have to say on this.

Thanks,

Sniper121

The AI doesn't repopulate, or isnt' so visual about doing so. Seeing them actually spawn in mass whords isn't so great. And Try sending loads of orders to your squad mates having to avoid the AI set at F3.

(I say this message politely, with a hint of sarcasm)

I assume you haven't learned to put your men in teams? Blue team, red team, white team, etc?

You can hold down the spacebar, and issues orders in a single keystroke. You just need to learn HOW.

Don't make Evolution harder than it needs to be. Not putting an AI in the zone, not knowing how to issue commands in a single keystroke is a "you and arma" issue, not a "evolution" issue.

I honestly believe your a good player that just hasn't tried or learned/used this stuff to make your life easier, and less frustrating. I believe if you tried the stuff we've debated in this thread, you wouldn't be nearly 1/2 as frustrated as you are now, nor would we be having this conversation.

I wish you only the best.

...I noticed is that the engineer can play the system somewhat, and respawn the FARP wherever he crashed his helicopter smile_o.gif this means that the engineer basically has a permanent helicopter for as long as he is alive, and can instantly get a helicopter as soon as he can reach a crashed one.

I wouldn't be adverse to trying a version that had only pilots allowed to fly...

thumbs-up.gif Great idea, DM. I would be up for such a "really hard" version, since I had no problem with driving a repair crew to damaged resources and I like seeing the pilot "avatar".

Really cool if the "real hard" version would include reanimation, a 1 or 2 minute unconsious period before being able to respawn. I can see it creating a better coop experience and a more cautious style of play.

The engineer could be the only one being able to lay mines as well. Securing the access routes with minefields before attacking a city has become a strategic option, because of the reinforcements driving into town, instead of spawning.

I still would prefer a culling distance that goes beyond the grey area. I don´t like putting an AI in the danger zone, just for me to be able to snipe from a mile away. Another effect of the AI spawning is that if a chopper is the first into the grey area, he is assaulted by everything that has some kind of MG. Another effect of the culling is the absence of AI in the Shilkas? So they can be approached from just outside the grey area and taken out without being challenged. I don´t think that was the idea behind giving cities a Shilka "protection" zone.

Personally Im against using the revive script (in this mission) then again Ive never used it in Armed Assault, although I have used it in Operation Flashpoint and am willing to try it.

I think maybe its worth just introducing it to Evolution as a seperate start option/parameter so people can try/play it if they want to, but still enable people to have the standard options also if they dont like it.

I think its possibly worth trying revive, Kiljoy can always take it out at a later date if it dont work or makes gameplay not the way he wants as long as people understand its an experiment as was such when engineers and medics were introduced in the test versions.

I don't know what Kiljoy is working on atm, but he may have other priorites such as server/client performance and optimisation before adding new features.

hi Killjoy,

Today playing on the SES server i was a driver of a stryker with a human player as gunner they killed a human player but i instead got a message saying i friendly fired and not the gunner. do you know anything about this?