Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V3.0

Hi Killjoy - played a 7 hour game of E3.0 last night and had a blast. Couple of anomalies to report though:

1. 18 minutes into the game, the Paraiso garrison suddenly surrendered! They had lost 9 men. We were all mystified, the streets were full of SLA troops standing around doing nothing. Some people left the server in disgust; I however captured a truck full of POWs and was made Sergeant without firing a shot biggrin_o.gif

What triggers the AI to surrender? All the other towns fought like normal - to my relief. We obviously did something different in Paraiso (killed the officer?)

2. All enemy infantry used pistols only throughout the game. It was bizarre, seeing squads of SLA with their AKs slung on their backs firing pistols at 150metres+. I assumed this must be a bug.

3. Enemy AI seems more passive than in E1.5x. By this I mean they lie prone with pistols drawn instead of running about, flanking etc. I did witness some aggressive flanking but definitely less than before. I think it may be linked to the spawning system, as on one occasion I witnessed an AI soldier spawn in front of me (the only time it happened within my field-of-view) - he appeared lying down with pistol drawn and remained motionless until he was killed.

That's it for now - thanks again.

Mandrake

Might I suggest a mirror hosting location? the one listed is having a hard time... huh.gif

@ June 18 2007,07:51)]@benxcore let me explain very simply how it works. when any west unit enters a town the town populates with enemy. when all west units are killed in the town the towns enemy dissapear. If you recruit one ai and place him at the edge of the dark circle when you and your small group all die together in that town the enemy will not be deleted becuse your AI who you told to halt will still be in the circle. try to hide him ina bush prone on hold fire orders works best, not in a vehicle or komov will zap him. the most enemy you will get in a town is about 120, once you kill all of them the town is clear and you can then move the AI to the next place.

They will never spawn there again.

This is a rather rough situation though. While giving orders to my Human players, I have to avoid giving the AI the same director orders. Which will be rather cumbersome in fast pace scenerios.Maybe, along with the ongoing list of options, add a small group option, that would spawn a WEST AI below the surface in the town, once a human player is present in the zone.

This way, you don't have to worry about AI.Just my two cents.

But the way it is now, its durn near impossible, because we are engaging enemies from outside the gray area, thus they just respawn in mass groups elsewhere.

Also, we were having a problem with capturing the officer.

We finally had him captured, then I crashed (I was the squad leader). I came back, and the Officer we had to capture was the leader of the squad. Needless to say, we had the inability to return him. We could also see his enemy guards spawning, as I had a sniper on overwatch, he'd give us the clear, then we'd run up to the officer, only to have a group of 7 Infantry spawn and lay waste to us.

First here is a mirror for Evolutionv 3.0.

A few odd issues to report:

1. One time I was killed in a Jeep and when I respawned I was hurt and had to heal myself at the m116 medical truck.

2. Then another time a 3 of us where shot down while in a Little Bird and I believe two of the guys spawned dead.

3. I was in a squad of 4 players and my game crashed. When I came back in to rejoin the group the leader was not listed but someone else in that group. However, the real leader received the request and I was able to join up. [This one I believe I saw also in 1.5a - so it might not be a map issue but a game issue].

First here is a mirror for Evolutionv 3.0.

A few odd issues to report:

1.  One time I was killed in a Jeep and when I respawned I was hurt and had to heal myself at the m116 medical truck.

2.  Then another time a 3 of us where shot down while in a Little Bird and I believe two of the guys spawned dead.

3.  I was in a squad of 4 players and my game crashed.  When I came back in to rejoin the group the leader was not listed but someone else in that group.  However, the real leader received the request and I was able to join up.  [This one I believe I saw also in 1.5a - so it might not be a map issue but a game issue].

to 1 and 2 sometimes you spawn in the bunkbeds and they cause the damage or death.

3. i always ask who is in the team so i can see who to join.

Well yesterday I knew who was Squad leader and he was not listed as the leader - someone else was and I knew for a fact he was part of the squad [there where only 4 of us on at the time]. It all ended up well since even though I clicked join group on X player, Y player received the request.

@Stobbsy You have a low opinion of random players and you don't like clearing towns. You are playing the wrong game.

Evolution is probably the best coop mission in videogaming today. Emphasize coop. Ask people to help you, what is wrong with that? Your attitude stinks and would put me off connecting to the SuicideSquad server, if you are an admin.

A big up to KillJoy for his time and effort. This is your vision don't let the whingers cloud it. let them throw their rattles out of the pram (ahem Stobbsy).

Yeah I dont like the 2 people needed thing either. Perhaps if it worked properly so that the 1 hour counted from when the mission started instead of when you connected it might be better.

Also you need to do something about killing POWs. I captured 2 officers and both times they got shot. Their name still appears red and its really hard to protect them without some idiot shooting them.

Maybe give -20 for killing a prisoner or something, that might make them realise.

@Stobbsy  (...)

Your attitude stinks and would put me off connecting to the SuicideSquad server, if you are an admin.  

A big up to KillJoy for his time and effort.  This is your vision don't let the whingers cloud it.  let them throw their rattles out of the pram (ahem Stobbsy).

Hoaah... Hold on the horses there. Evrybody has intitle to a opinion, even if u dont agree with him. The past few months evryone contribute with usefull info/suggestions/reports of several versions from EVO.

Stobbs was one of them. He might dislike this or that, but as admin of any server nowdays knows, the thing is you cant possibly please evrybody. The choices are made toward a global benefict for all, being that Server, players and playability. Who wants to play a mission where the AI doesnt move due to server overload? I guess nobody... Now along the way there were diffrents ways to approach the problem. The path Kiljoy took didnt pleased evryone, but that was hard to do anywyays. On the end of the day, its up to the mission maker to make the decisions.

All these options do not (imho) degrade the contribution made by evryone, including Stobbs. So hold on the horses on throwing rocks on an active EVO tester.

Finally, i dont agree with his opinion, but i do respect his concerns. Hopefully he will see the light :P

Hi Killjoy - played a 7 hour game of E3.0 last night and had a blast. Couple of anomalies to report though:

1. 18 minutes into the game, the Paraiso garrison suddenly surrendered! They had lost 9 men. We were all mystified, the streets were full of SLA troops standing around doing nothing. Some people left the server in disgust; I however captured a truck full of POWs and was made Sergeant without firing a shot biggrin_o.gif

What triggers the AI to surrender? All the other towns fought like normal - to my relief. We obviously did something different in Paraiso (killed the officer?)

2. All enemy infantry used pistols only throughout the game. It was bizarre, seeing squads of SLA with their AKs slung on their backs firing pistols at 150metres+. I assumed this must be a bug.

3. Enemy AI seems more passive than in E1.5x. By this I mean they lie prone with pistols drawn instead of running about, flanking etc. I did witness some aggressive flanking but definitely less than before. I think it may be linked to the spawning system, as on one occasion I witnessed an AI soldier spawn in front of me (the only time it happened within my field-of-view) - he appeared lying down with pistol drawn and remained motionless until he was killed.

Mandrake

Hi !

First, big thanks to Killjoy, who did a wonderful job with this mission.

Then I'd like answers from killjoy for the questions asked by Mandrake5 that I quoted here.

Finally, I wanted to indicate a small bug, which may be related to the game itself or his mission, I don't know :

- if you go under the hangars in the airfield of Paraiso, and if you watch through the side windows of the Humwees parked in here, you'll ALSO see through the hangars wall !!!

Pretty funny bug, but still strange.

Has anybody noticed this bug too ?

icon_rolleyes.gif

That reminds me about the hanger - it seems it is not a good idea to get into a vehicle [striker for user] and tell your AI to mount. They seem to always get stuck or something and I have had to get a jeep and gently push them out!

I assume this is a game issue and not a map issue but I'll report it anyways. wink_o.gif

@killjoy

in the mission text meny -> many (sorry for the nazi spellingthingie)

@Lolsav I agree but the guy is an admin on a public server, yet he claims he doesn't like random players. Confused? I know I am.

I have a problem in this great mission, everytime i rejoin the server, I loose my stats, can it have anything to do with me having a underscore "_" in my nickname?

I didn't have the problem in old version 1.5

Mandrake

OK was playing E3.0 on a different server for 4 hours (before the nice NHS clan admin kicked everyone except two clan mates so they could finish the mission by themselves - yeah thanks a pantload Chet icon_rolleyes.gif ) and am glad to reprt that the pistols-only bug was not present. Also the enemy flanked properly so I have no idea if these two issues qualify as bugs or not. Has anyone else witnessed them?

There is however a definite problem with POWs, which you're probably aware of by now: you cannot board a vehicle containing POWS (presumably the game thinks the vehicle is now OPFOR), and similarly, POWS wont board the vehicle you are in. Very frustrating, any sign of a workaround?

Mandrake

@ June 17 2007,20:42)]@Red Devil what are your system specs?

@Kiljoy

- Athlon 3000+ 1.8Ghz

- 2Gb RAM

- nvidia 7600GT

I was running 1.5a all fine, 12 hour stints no problem.

It might be BIS I need to bitch to though, seems since the 1.08 update, I can't use LAN it just freezes my system and any Internet multiplayer game crashes! (not just Evo)

@ June 17 2007,20:42)]@Red Devil what are your system specs?

@Kiljoy

- Athlon 3000+ 1.8Ghz

- 2Gb RAM

- nvidia 7600GT

I was running 1.5a all fine, 12 hour stints no problem.

It might be BIS I need to bitch to though, seems since the 1.08 update, I can't use LAN it just freezes my system and any Internet multiplayer game crashes! (not just Evo)

You should be fine since my Brother-n-Law played for a very long time yesterday (about 3 hours).

P4 2.8Ghz

1 Gb Ram

EVGA 7600GT [PCIe].

Odd that he has a P4 with a PCIe slot but that is what that IBM workstation is using... he got it through the VA for doing his homework.

@Lolsav I agree but the guy is an admin on a public server, yet he claims he doesn't like random players.  Confused? I know I am.

As this is now getting off topic this is my last post on the matter.

Any 1 play World of Warcraft the mmorpg? Well if you have you will understand what Im about to say. WOW is essentially a multiplayer game same as Evolution is a coop. In WOW you are able, if you want to, solo and do things on your own. You are also able to team up with other players and do dungeons and raids. The same can be said of other multiplayer games such as Eve Online. The great thing about these multiplayer games is that they are open ended and to some extent you can do what you want.

I see Evolution as the WOW of Armed Assault (I mean this as a compliment to Kiljoy), if you want to solo and take towns you can, if you want to get into a team and take towns you can. If you want to do missions solo or in a party you can. The great thing about Evolution that sets it apart from other coops in Operation Flashpoint or Armed Assault is its openess and you ability to do what you want when you want. This is what "Evolution" means to me that it is something new in the way of coops.

The issue im trying to raise isn't whether I like soloing or playing with other people, its that the changes to the side missions that Kiljoy has made has decreased the ability of players to do what they want, when they want in my opinion. The result of this in my opinion has diminished the "openess" of Evolution for me.

For the record, I don't mind playing with random players and often do (It does help if they are using TS though) but sometimes I do want to play solo, I dont see that as a bad thing. This doesnt mean I aint gonna help out in towns, it just means I don't want to be part of your squad. It might be that ive had a bad day at work and just want to de-stress and kill stuff and not be in a squad of people.

Again for those people who have played WOW will understand what im about to say more than those who havnt. To get parties in WOW, you basically have to SPAM chat channels to get people to help you out in dungeons and even beg/pay people. It irritates people and is also causes arguments and also puts pressure on people to help you out even though they dont want to help out. I don't want to see people spamming chat channels on servers.

I don't want to have to beg people to help me do missions or put pressure on people to help me do missions who really dont want to, Im one of those people who would rather be self sufficient than ask people for help or ask people to do stuff they dont really want to do, Even in Real life, does this make me a bad person?

I know this isn't a mmorpg, but having played mmporgs constant for the last 4.5 years after taking a break from OFP, its hard not to want the same openess of future games you play such as Armed Assault.

I do aknowledge that maybe I have maybe gone about it the wrong way or people may have misinterpreted me. Its easy to do.

For clarification Missions are NOT available for people to solo even after 3 hours of being on the server and having over 120 points.

@stobbsy

I don't see the aim of your way of playing....

You want to play single when you want, then disconnect and play solo.

I dont see why you are taking the place of someone that joins ArmA Multiplayer game especially on "Evolution" to cooperate....

You're right, just leave the topic, and let some space here too

tounge2.gif

P.S. But I do understand, in a sense, what you are expressing. Anyway, you are still able to play on your own in this coop mission, but I don't see the goal...unless you're a sniper wink_o.gif

@stobbsy

I don't see the aim of your way of playing....

You want to play single when you want, then disconnect and play solo.

I dont see why you are taking the place of someone that joins ArmA Multiplayer game especially on "Evolution" to cooperate....

You're right, just leave the topic, and let some space here too

tounge2.gif

P.S. But I do understand, in a sense, what you are expressing. Anyway, you are still able to play on your own in this coop mission, but I don't see the goal...unless you're a sniper  wink_o.gif

The way i play is to get as many points as I can as quick as I can through doing side missions to get better gear and equipment, then support the other players taking towns through the use of m1a1s and Ah-1s, usually with a player as a gunner who doesnt have say 200 points but a player who may just of joined the server.

This is the way I feel I contribute best to helping the collective objective of taking towns. Do note, 10 side missions are needed to be completed to complete the overall mission, so I am also contributing to this side of the completion of the Evolution mission also.

Well, with our server I get on and no one is around (its passworded for Ghost Dogs) and I often just do a mission with some AI till someone pops in [which can take some time before this happens]. This allows for some points and its good practice on being a Squad Leader. So, I think being able to do Solo Missions is rather important and not hurtful at all in the way that I run the Ghost Dogs Server.

Darn i had it all thought out "in swedish" but i dont know

all the phrases in English so i dont bother.

Still:

stobsy, i know EXACTLY what your saying...

EVOL has lost a big part, a part that made it VERRY

interesting for me...

To give stobbsy some support:

Sometimes I just want to get into the game, do missions on my own until I can fly a blackhawk and then I´ll be transporting people... I'm a lone wolf but still supporting everyone... xmas_o.gif