Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V3.0

I would really like the pilot to be added in again. The TK issue is moot, that is part of the game and people should be more observant instead of going Rambo. It isn't that hard to distinguish a friendly pilot from an enemy combatant. And the only reason people are finding these pilots on the ground everywhere is because they are allowed to have the same weapon options, which lets them hop off and go along with the infantry.

So, my thoughts for bringing back pilots:

1) No access to weaponry except M9 and MP5 and M4. MH-6/AH-6's commonly had SAW's stored in the back according to Michael Durant (author of Night Stalkers). This should/could only be accessed if the helicopter becomes incapable of flight (rotor shot, engine shot, out of fuel, etc). Not sure how that would work though.

2) Weapon space identical to medic.

3) Be able to start as an MH-6 pilot, and at 40 points get UH-60 like normal.

4) No other class is able to fly aircraft.

5) ... I have no idea how this is going to work, but make it an option for the server to designate pilots. It would really suck if all the pilot slots were taken up by people who couldn't fly or didn't want to help others and they destroyed all the helicopters. So, the server would start out with say, the Admin or a member of his unit, or both, allowed to be pilots. Then as they played, they would recognize regulars of the server who became good pilots and let them have the privilege.

Suggestion:

How about having the blackhawks be able to "hitch" to vehicles? This could help for repairs as well as transporting the vehicles from the airbase to far away towns.

Ok a couple more suggestions:

1) Engineer vehicles. I know there are the 3 non-respawnable service trucks, but I think would be better for a "combat engineer" to actually have a custom, engineer-only, M113 that is able to build FARP's.

2) Platoon leader radio command. I think giving a platoon leader a radio option for an AI chopper to spawn, come pick-up a vehicle and sling-load it back to base. Would have to add a couple more scripts for it to work, and give points to the platoon leader I think.

The mobile respawn would be nice, maybe better than a MASH for medics.

Is there some knowledge on just what the Blackhawk can pick up? I can't see it doing anything except a hummer, if that. The Chinook certainly could do hummers, maybe strykers, but the amount of vehicles that could be lifted would be severely limited.

Pretty much anything but the M1A1 in game I would think. 5 ton can be picked up and I would think the M113 and M163 would be fine.

After reading some of the posts about how players take a engineer slot, but only use it to go lone wolf, I have an idea...

Is it possible to disable points for kills if you are an engineer or medic? This would limit the way a player would get points to only healing/repairing, clearing city, or POW capture, etc.

This would deter players who only want to go out and kill enemy troops from picking these classes, since they wouldnt get any points for kills. A player who picks engineer or medic would then focus on healing /repairing to get points, which is what their true jobs are anyway.

Maybe players take the engineer slot and go lonewolf cause everyone else is lonewolf and he knows there is no coop at the moment.

Im sure you have all seen it. Sometimes people play as coop and sometimes as lonewolf. I usually reach col in the first 30 min, and Im sure you are all aware of how easy it is to be shot down in an AH1. So your forced to go repair your AH1 if it is shot down cause chances are the other one is taken or shotdown too. Well since most players just go in lonewolf there is no coop so I cant get anyone to repair my downed vehicles.

So dont punish those who choose to be an engineer cause more of the NooBs from BF think the game is a "LoneWolf" game.

I think it's funny that people that have never used Norrin's Revive-Respawn script talk about how bad it would be for evolution - without ever TRYING a map with it.

I honestly belive (my opinion) that you guys have no clue about how much the revive system makes people play much more "co-op" in "co-op" maps, in ARMA.

Yes, I know that everyone is scared of making ArmA into Battlefield 1942, but until you've PLAYED Norrin's revive script, and seen how it WORKS and in live play, you just don't have a clue, sorry.

Open your mind, try it.

I've never tried it....is the a mission that uses this revive-respawn?

HBS

After reading some of the posts about how players take a engineer slot, but only use it to go lone wolf, I have an idea...

Is it possible to disable points for kills if you are an engineer or medic? This would limit the way a player would get points to only healing/repairing, clearing city, or POW capture, etc.

This would deter players who only want to go out and kill enemy troops from picking these classes, since they wouldnt get any points for kills. A player who picks engineer or medic would then focus on healing /repairing to get points, which is what their true jobs are anyway.

Good idea.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe players take the engineer slot and go lonewolf cause everyone else is lonewolf and he knows there is no coop at the moment.

Im sure you have all seen it. Sometimes people play as coop and sometimes as lonewolf. I usually reach col in the first 30 min, and Im sure you are all aware of how easy it is to be shot down in an AH1. So your forced to go repair your AH1 if it is shot down cause chances are the other one is taken or shotdown too. Well since most players just go in lonewolf there is no coop so I cant get anyone to repair my downed vehicles.

So dont punish those who choose to be an engineer cause more of the NooBs from BF think the game is a "LoneWolf" game.

It is very easy to not be shot down in the AH-1. The only thing that should really get you is the occasional Su-34 that gets through the AA defenses. What you describe is a no-teamwork, lonewolf, one-name-army solution.

It seems the Engineer class is being misused as a "How to recover my downed helicopter."

The interesting thing is to make everybody's lone wolf attitude to something that is teamplay. It's like the invisible hand Adam Smith described.

I support the idea that pilots should be pilots, engineers should be engineers and crewmen should be crewmen. This makes everyone dependant from each other, hence the lone wolf attitude becomes teamplay. Tho, i would only apply this system if many players are online.

I have to disagree with that, as the role of either is simply by game mechanics too limited to force them into that role perpetually. Engineers and Medic's can't do the expanded roles they do in real life, and it would make them very rarely chosen if all you did was support.

It would be better to encourage and persuade players to support with them, rather than force them to. Maybe if you made all kills equal half the points a soldier makes, that could be a good compromise. But I think simply giving soldiers an edge over medics and engineers would help solve the issue.

Take out the kill points for engineers exclusively, just leave mission and vehicle repair points (maybe boost vehicle repair a little points wise). It's really easy to sit at a FARP with a MK19 and just pepper cities all day long racking up points.

You can't prevent people from using the 'I WIN' button on an honor system. In a perfect world we can say everyone will share and be nice, but it's not a perfect world, there are lonewolf engineers and point-whores.

The Evolution map is being abused by solo grinders and I firmly believe Evolution should be under a different catagory, not coop. Killjoy you have revolutionised ArmA for many of us but this map is used by WoW reject Rambos that like nothing better than isolating themselves in game (Probbaly like as in real life) and doing their own thing.

Listen people the game mode is COOP. Short for Cooperative. That means work as a team and stop Ramboing.

Even better free up the spaces and play the offline version.

Hey! First of all, Great map!

I have a question. Is there ANY possibility i can disable ranks? The reason i want this is cause i just play this with 2 friends and it kinda sucks with rank....It takes forever to get the vehicles you want! So, is there any chance you can disable? By using a mod or whatever...

Damp you are missing the point of EVO. Consider what evolution is and then apply it to ArmA. Rank is the fundemental driving point of this map you cannot disable it else the game ceases to be EVO. Read my post above.

Damp you are missing the point of EVO. Consider what evolution is and then apply it to ArmA. Rank is the fundemental driving point of this map you cannot disable it else the game ceases to be EVO. Read my post above.

He wants to disable Rank and play Evo in his own way. I don't think it's our place to tell him that he cannot play the map a certain way else it ceases to become Evo.

I know there are an unranked server that sometimes appears, but I don't know where to acquire that file. If you can find it Damp, you can maybe ask them about it.

Damp you are missing the point of EVO.  Consider what evolution is and then apply it to ArmA.  Rank is the fundemental driving point of this map you cannot disable it else the game ceases to be EVO.  Read my post above.

Well, i think the mission about taking towns is cool and all the vehicles, but when you play with 2 of your friends it's not that funny to rank up all the time...I agree with you if i would play on "real" mp though, since there's more people and ranking is nice. but not when we're so few!

Killjoy has stated manytimes before he doesn't want his map tampered with. It's an afront to his hours of hard work. like a painting that you draw on. Desecration for want of sa better word. The point of Evo is to gain rank ie evolve. don't you get it?

It's still not a huge joy to have to rank all the way up, every single time you start the game..

Some of us like playing on private servers and can't keep a dedicated server up and running all night.

I've taken liberty of adding my own little cheats, that instantly rank me to colonel(Don't worry, I worked hard to get to colonel first.) and also clears cities that we have already taken over.

I will however not publish anything since the author seems to be against "cheating".

Anyone with some basic scripting knowledge can do it, just find the right tools and read up on ArmA Scripting.

@Damp: Disabling ranks isn't fun completely isn't fun

Excellent mission!

I´ve played it so much it starts to get...well "boring"...I know that most players don´t want addons in evolution but it could really spice up the mission & athmosphere, maybe a separate mission with addons and the original is left as it is.

Addon version could use some of these:

- Ebud´s specops

- Rellikki´s troops

- Jonny´s marines

- RHS mi-24 Hind

- DMarkwick's DMSmokeEffects

- plasman´s t72 and bmp2

- Skaven´s RACS

- Törni´s RACS M60A3

- Skaven´s & Shadow´s NXRussian Marines & VDV (WIP)

...just to mention a few possible addons.

I was also playing Evolution 3.0 Rus-version in some server, in that version the sides were changed (you were sahranian), it was refreshing I must say.

this Mission is realy intensive on CPU usage is thare anyway the evo team can lower the threds/strings in vb being done we at bda run evo and bezerk and evo kills our server

thanks

Excellent mission!

I´ve played it so much it starts to get...well "boring"...I know that most players don´t want addons in evolution but it could really spice up the mission & athmosphere, maybe a separate mission with addons and the original is left as it is.

Addon version could use some of these:

- Ebud´s specops

- Rellikki´s troops

- Jonny´s marines

- RHS mi-24 Hind

- DMarkwick's DMSmokeEffects

- plasman´s t72 and bmp2

- Skaven´s RACS

- Törni´s RACS M60A3

- Skaven´s & Shadow´s NXRussian Marines & VDV (WIP)

...just to mention a few possible addons.

I was also playing Evolution 3.0 Rus-version in some server, in that version the sides were changed (you were sahranian), it was refreshing I must say.

The uniforms can be changed via ColonelSanders replacement packs, which is a client side only addon. You get the best of both worlds that way.

what can i do if i want to change someof the vehicles on both sides or change sides available totally? Like playing racs instead of bluefor.

Is it possible to disable points for kills if you are an engineer or medic?  This would limit the way a player would get points to only healing/repairing, clearing city, or POW capture, etc.

This would deter players who only want to go out and kill enemy troops from picking these classes, since they wouldnt get any points for kills.  A player who picks engineer or medic would then focus on healing /repairing to get points, which is what their true jobs are anyway.

This is a bad idea/suggestion. Keep it real, Engineers and Medics are NOT Chaplains, so they should continue to get points for killing the enemy. When I'm in either of these roles, I'm with my squad mates fighting when necessary, and supporting the war effort applicable to the role of Engineer or Medic.

Here's a question amongst all the debate about keeping Evolution pure....

.... how in hades do you rearm vehicles?!?!