Sign in to follow this  
BadBone

Stop Camping.....arghhh!

Oddly enough, in battlefield 1942 you HAD to spawncamp to take positions. No one complained about that. But in the same game, if you dropped bombs all over the enemys main base, particularly if that was the only one left, that was uncool.

I think the same things applies in ofp/arma when the missions are made similar to BF.

personal observation is that it is matter of who makes what mission how. If the mission is well made, the camping issue is not there.

berzerk maps are dynamic enough that if you have a decent level of players on both sides, it is doable. I don't know if berzerk missions have system to punish campers at the initial spawn(the one where you start the game), and had that problem only once. Other than that it is all fair in my book.

as for a side note, for a good play of berzerk, you need about 30 players total IMO for most maps except desert.

I see what you're talking about KJAM.. Yes Berzerk has secondary (read: reinforcement) spawns ON the area trying to be held... Well then OF COURSE they're going to be attacked by all means necessary. But the primary Blu/OP spawns where a tactical assault can be readied and launched are tucked away nicely (except maybe airfield) far inside a no-go area.

I've gone around almost the whole map to come in on the enemies rear to break a capture point siege. And at the same point, I've also seem almost half of my team advance and lay ambushes in the direct approaches from the enemies primary spawn.

This is why I mostly avoid Berzerk like maps. The free flow of blood and equipment guarantees unrealistic game play. Spawn in 15 seconds, unlimited M1A1s? Right, yawn.

As far as "camping" goes, the difference between proper tactics and camping is an easy one. Camping always involves a spawn point. It involves a game play device that is very far removed from reality.

That is exactly where this map and many others like it fail...this is a combat sim and there are spawns at forward bases...

PLEASE MAKE A BERZERK MAP WITH NO RESPAWNS! (only at the main base faaaaaar from the action. Maybe even have a force respawn every couple minutes or so?)

My best real life experience is airsoft lol and a big part of knowing when you have taken an objective is when everyone is dead...works both ways.

How can you attack a building/flag and have the same people you kill respawn and kill you? crazy_o.gif Im sure you all know exactly what I m talking about!

THen you respawn all the way back at base and then spend the next 10mins getting back...

PLEASE MAKE A BERZERK MAP WITH NO RESPAWNS! notworthy.gif

Wow blast from the past.

DEFENDING-Is finding a nice spot and blasting anyone who gets near, within sight, or that you happen to know is behind something that goes boom.

CAMPING-Sitting in a tank looking over a spawn point and wasting all those that spawn BEFORE THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO MOVE. While this may be seen as a tactic, it is pathetic, and those who say, "Its apart of war get over it!" Then i have this to say.

Never knew our dead soldiers respawned at bases. I always thought, you know, THEY DIED AND DIDNT COME BACK.

Also, who can man a tank by themselves and hold off an entire airfield in real life?

Also, who can man a tank by themselves and hold off an entire airfield in real life?

If soldiers are stupid enough to keep exposing themselves after they magically appeared out of thin air and dont take any action like flanking/retreating or whatever then yes, a 1 manned tank can hold off an entire airport. wink_o.gif

Against infantry with no AT weapons? I know i can, hell i don't even need a tank for that, a BMP would do nicely as long as it is equipped with at least PKT (and PSNR-5 would probably help too) ;-)

btw. the issue you are talking about ("Sitting in a tank looking over a spawn point and wasting all those that spawn BEFORE THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO MOVE.") is called base raping and that is wrong,

but camping is totally clean way of playing ArmA/OFP.

There is nothing wrong with camping, and if someone gets killed by a "camper", then he should be more careful instead of running around like a Rambo.

Of course there may be some exceptions, depending on the style and type of the mission, camping could be inapropriate, but i think i still have yet to see such an exception.

on the few occasions i played outside of coop on MP i found that if i just used my head a bit and didnt run around i was finding it easy. until a trigger happy team mate TK'd me for being to "sneaky" i dont see how u shouldnt be allowed to camp its perfectly legitimate. base raping is only bad if there is no where else for u to spawn. if u get killed at a spawn point then that point is no longer safe to spawn at so dont

If they wanna quake, they can always go back to BF or Novalogic games. The skill in ArmA and FP etc is in terrain masking. This ain`t Quake. And thank God for that. lol

Camping is a behaviour that disrupts the game on both sides. Campers pick a location, stay there and keep their eyes on a single place until they get killed, and then they do the same again. The enemies of course have a difficult time securing the place that's being camped and the friendly team is not getting any support from the camper in more pressing matters and there wouldn't even be a need for camping if they joined the fight more actively and maybe waste the enemy before they get even close to the objective. A game with only campers is a complete standstill and wouldn't that just be a blast, the ultimate "tactical" experience we all seek in this game.

Berzerk could be made lots better just by increasing the flag capturing radius so it's not so simple to just watch the flag and shoot anyone who gets within 5 meters.

The only type of camping I am against is spawn camping. In reality, soldiers don't "spawn" out of nowhere (in the same place, repeatedly) and therefore it is pretty dumb for a T-72 to be watching tarmac for three hours waiting for soldiers to materialize out of nothing. Besides the stupidity, it just makes for really bad game-play. People that spawn camp must really have no lives so they make themselves feel better by reaching the top of the charts off of spawn camping.

What a load of rubbish, If ppl want to camp let them. I love hunting down campers and killing them, Its a great sport, they have such repetive behaviour that they are quite easy to find. Sometimes I will camp also to lock down an objective and slow the enemy from trying to retake it. As for camping on the side of the hill at the airport in the Bezerk maps, So what? Its madness to camp up there you stick out like dogs balls and are an easy target for a chopper or an attack from the rear. Get over it and understand that everyone plays the game differently.

As for spawn camping thats the fault of the mission maker allowing this to happen, the NO-go zone should be large enough and there should be alot of defensive positions to allow troops cover as they emerge from the safe zone.

Yep Its the patch thing allover again (have we covered all the corners of earth huh.gif)

don't worry in a couple of weeks US newbies leaves, and things return to (somewhat) normal (hopefully) whistle.gif  whistle.gif

Thanks for blaming "camping" on people from the US. Could you have come up with a more ridiculous stereotype. Remember this process:

STEP 1: THINK

STEP 2: TYPE

I only know this bad behaviour ( shooting one during or short after he respawned ) named as spawn rape.

In Bf2 it is normal to shoot one after he plopped into your view, cause he respawned at a place which you can see.

For me its the most annoying thing in online-games to get shot during respawn.

I have to got the possibility to choose my way after I spawned.

That constantly spawn raping annoyed me really lot ( right after the bunny hopping ) in BF2.

So its up to the mission-maker´s taste of gameplay and yourself´s if you like a specific map-style or not.

The mission-pool is growing every day, so i think everybody can find his kind of game-play in ArmA!

smile_o.gif

If not, then try to create it by yourself! wink_o.gif

yup, I cant see any reason to complain about camping, as the OP said its a part of the game, part of war... deal with it.

Cheap way to stop a camper, 3rd person view :P look around the corner and ta-da.

never heard anybody complaining about camping at least not when i was playing on the bezerk server. in fact, i do it all the time since im not any good at close fighting. but usually i or any other camper who sits in a spot for more than a minute ends up dead.

from what i see one man camping is the most annoying yet less effective way of doing thing in OFP and ARMA, basicly because of the nature of it, you simply sit there waiting for target to show up, yes it will do some damage to the OPFOR and may creat a sence of depress over time, but other then that it do little

but the story would be a lot different if your camper out there have a little sence of teamwork and are working with their team for a bigass ambush intented to wipe your ass clean

So what if I'm camping I got tired of running around on this huge ass map!!!

Want some smores?

Never knew our dead soldiers respawned at bases. I always thought, you know, THEY DIED AND DIDNT COME BACK.

Wow, what a fun game that would make…join, die and never respawn? For the sake of continuity, I don’t think that would gel

I simply meant, to not spawn at forward bases. Only spawn at main bases far from the action...

Wow, what a fun game that would make…join, die and never respawn? For the sake of continuity, I don’t think that would gel

I simply meant, to not spawn at forward bases. Only spawn at main bases far from the action...

it worked for some hardcored coop player

camped at spawn? Just respawn at a safe location. As long as you have a safe spawn location, I don't see the issue.

You expect the ennemy to let you keep a foot on a position they want to take, let you dig in cover? That would be quite stupid of them, wouldn't it?

IF you cannot spawn AT ALL anywhere safe, then yes, there is an issue. AFAIK Berzerks all have a safe back base, moreover with nifty equipement for you to chose. It's even THAT usefull that if you are in real danger (ie no base out of this one), you will find there powerfull stuff that the ennemy doesn't have, namely attack choppers.

It's the Berzerk mode that you do not like, not the so called campers.

ye all people (maybe not army people ...) that didnt play ofp/arma, first time they play they go ahead with a handgun ... they died and says to me : thats the greate game you told me ... rofl.gif

The thing that annoys me the most is when, for example, on Bezerk Airfield, people get tanks and put them in the hills west of the airfield and then do nothing but strafe the airfield, meaning anyone trying to spawn there or get near there is pretty much screwed.

Theres a difference between holding your position to deny it to the enemy and camping.

Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.

Brian Clough

Strategy requires thought, tactics require observation.

Max Euwe

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious.

Sun Tzu

Yep Its the patch thing allover again (have we covered all the corners of earth huh.gif)

don't worry in a couple of weeks US newbies leaves, and things return to (somewhat) normal (hopefully) whistle.gif  whistle.gif

Thanks for blaming "camping" on people from the US. Could you have come up with a more ridiculous stereotype. Remember this process:

STEP 1: THINK

STEP 2: TYPE

He's not blaming " camping " on people from the US icon_rolleyes.gif

He's blaming " omgz, stop camping nub " on people from the US rofl.gif

But seriously,  he means this happens everytime ArmA is released in a new country ( US was last? ) and when the " newbies " realize what ArmA is all about, the stop camping spam will quiet down again.

If you read my OP again, you will see i say " im hearing this a lot lately " and Puma's post is pointing out that a lot of US newbies have joined the ArmA community " lately ". Which makes me think that he has seen this happen before when, say ArmA was released in the UK.

I can see his post is not being stereotypical.