Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

6thSense.eu Presents: Tracers (Beta)

An idea might be to give a random factor that when the bullet hits something, the Fosfor jumps around (a particle or sth) while the model disappears? Might be too nitpicking too lol :P

Quote[/b] ]But to have the tracer following another path at a different speed?
Sth that just came ringing in was that if the path would be very different, then it's not very usefull for MG gunners to direct their aim maybe? smile_o.gif

About the issue that the Shilka and other guns fire multiple rounds as 1, we could possibly account for that by adding a Mod property to the ammo class or if the ammo class is shared with others we could simply account for the muzzle or possibly other things. Though we should check performance in that and possibly if the current lack of tracers in some of those high RPM rounds isn't the result of FPS, or incapability or possibly other reasons smile_o.gif

Yes look's way better then bevore thumbs-up.gif

You are on the right way Sickboy wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]But to have the tracer following another path at a different speed?
Sth that just came ringing in was that if the path would be very different, then it's not very usefull for MG gunners to direct their aim maybe? smile_o.gif

Exactly, then the tracers have no real use.

Tracers do behave quite different to "normal" rounds, the US experiments with LEDs and capacitators. That way, the tracer does not change it's mass mid-air and the trajectory is repeatable, still not the same.

Tracers do behave quite different to "normal" rounds, the US experiments with LEDs and capacitators. That way, the tracer does not change it's mass mid-air and the trajectory is repeatable, still not the same.

Ahh, ok. So there is a bigger difference? I have never used tracer for any presicion-shooting.

But then I think the trajectory of the bullet should be changed instead of just the tracer-effect, if there is need for that... Is the difference so big that there really is need to slow the bullet down?

^ that's what I tried to do, if it is possible to delete the mother bullet after duplication, it will work this way

unfortunely I can't do any testing right now but this is what I imagine:

this model has less polygon than yours but may not look as good.

When the bullet is going pretty fast this is the model that should be used, after a certain speed it should be replaced by

a shorter one ( hidden selection could "cut" only a part of the model or you can hide the entire thing then unhide an other model in the same lod)

pic1uz4.jpg

when speed get's really slow, this is the model that should appear (pseudo sphere) :

pic2ck2.jpg

making this will require to check in a loop the speed, but freqency can be reasonnably low.

if it hasn't changed since ofp :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class cfgmodels

{

{

sectionsInherit="Vehicle";

sections[]=

{

"Tail_end", //0

"Tail_front", //1

"sphere", //2

};

};

class cfg vehicle {

hiddenSelections[] = {tail_end,tail_front,sphere};

}

script:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

// high speed

_tracer setobjecttexture [0,"texture.paa"];

_tracer setobjecttexture [1,"texture.paa"];

_tracer setobjecttexture [0,""];

// middel speed

_tracer setobjecttexture [0,""];

// slow speed

_tracer setobjecttexture [1,""];

_tracer setobjecttexture [2,"texture.paa"];

Quote[/b] ]An idea might be to give a random factor that when the bullet hits something, the Fosfor jumps around (a particle or sth) while the model disappears? Might be too nitpicking too lol :P

in a vid, i once saw danish ? troops shooting a village in afghanistan and tracers sometimes lit little fires near the impact.

Ahh, ok. So there is a bigger difference? I have never used tracer for any presicion-shooting.

But then I think the trajectory of the bullet should be changed instead of just the tracer-effect, if there is need for that... Is the difference so big that there really is need to slow the bullet down?

I also made the mistake in assuming he changed the Tracer, but he actually changed the bullet velocity smile_o.gif

It remains discussable on how much and IF.

Wow Nice one Simba! Will experiment in the weekend, thanks! (Though where's the link to a Model? ^^ smile_o.gif)

Let's see what we can think about the 'balls dropping around sometimes' aswell smile_o.gif

It's not just the speed that varies, it's the flight path and wind drift.

Burning substances are not predictable in a way, precision shooting requires. Tracers ar not used for pinpoint accuracy, more a rough direction marker.

Ok, I think I understand what you are doing now simba smile_o.gif You have some good ideas.

But now I´m off to bed, must get up for work in 5 h...

Tracers.jpg

Those damn tracers do prove elusive, Sick. Had to use setacctime 0.01 to get them on screen!

*Ahem* If you'll all glance at the left side of the screen you'll see a fine example of a SLA green tracer, being fired by some loon with a PK.

In the centre foreground we see a rare shot of a US red tracer. Isn't it magnificent? Finally, if you dare to have a squiz at the top of the picture, slightly right of the centre, you'll see a US AAA Vulcan firing into the distance. Superb.

EDIT - Btw, the only time I get the "tracer appearing above my head" bug is when firing at a point 20m approx. or closer to me.

It's coming along nicely!

A suggestion -- if possible, add a brighter/whiter "core" to the tracer streak. Right now each looks uniformly red or green throughout, which doesn't look correct for a projectile that is burning extremely hot. The red tracers would actually have more of an orangish-white color, while the green tracers would actually have more of a greenish-white color.

Also, the red tracers appear "fatter" to me out of the muzzle than do the green tracers. I don't know if this is an optical illusion, or if there is an actual difference in shape/size between the two different colors.

Thanks again for all your work with this. Once finished, this will be a big part of making ArmA a more enjoyable game to play.

Simba, your model looks very much like BN tracer.

I changed the design for a reason...

His design approach made the tracer look ugly under certain angles...

On the other hand I just tested his tracer and there is only one problem I see:

It's too thin and dissapears at distance (which is the reason for my "halo" in the first place). It also looks like a solid object...

Sometimes also it appears a bit weird - like trougth ACOG.

But we'll give BN tracer a shot anyway, or add it as an alternative.

BTW: his models are actuall bigger thanks to lods :P. More faces.

Thanks for all the praise and comment m8s! Ty for the PIC CMD m8!

I got the bug squashed with switching weapons (e.g. Inside M1A1)! I will include it in the next Release but for ppl who would like to manually fix it:

[*] Unpbo SIX_Tracers.pbo

[*] Edit SIX_tracer_fired.sqf - look at the part where it checks tracerPer vs bulletsCount:

Replace:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">if(_trCounter==(_ar select 3))then by: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">if(_trCounter>=(_ar select 3))thenand the problem is resolved. It has to do with different tracerPer settings per AmmoType smile_o.gif

[*] Repack SIX_Tracers

Simba:

Just been thinking about your ideas about changing bullet etc... I think this is going to be a problem in Multiplayer where all clients change the bullet trajectory in a random fashion biggrin_o.gif

The tracer is a locally created effect. The bullet is probably global, or a local copy somehow, so I dont think we should change it's trajectory randomly on every client smile_o.gif

There are workaround but I'm not sure if we should go to such lengths in a system that gets fired 100's of times when firefights are busy biggrin_o.gif

Simba:

Just been thinking about your ideas about changing bullet etc... I think this is going to be a problem in Multiplayer where all clients change the bullet trajectory in a random fashion biggrin_o.gif

The tracer is a locally created effect. The bullet is probably global, or a local copy somehow, so I dont think we should change it's trajectory randomly on every client smile_o.gif

There are workaround but I'm not sure if we should go to such lengths in a system that gets fired 100's of times when firefights are busy biggrin_o.gif

^For me its ok if the tracerround ballistics are equal to a normal round. Ofcourse I support realism, but I want a fluent game without to much scripting.

Isnt it possible to define tracer-magasines? So you can load up a magasine with tracers anytime if you want to? Then you can make the dispersion alittle higher also. Ofcourse 2/3 of the bullets are normal if every 3rd are a tracerround, that should be taken into consideration. IF its necessary to simulate the different ballistic for tracers...

Simba:

^For me its ok if the tracerround ballistics are equal to a normal round. Ofcourse I support realism, but I want a fluent game without to much scripting.

Isnt it possible to define tracer-magasines? So you can load up a magasine with tracers anytime if you want to? Then you can make the dispersion alittle higher also. Ofcourse 2/3 of the bullets are normal if every 3rd are a tracerround, that should be taken into consideration. IF its necessary to simulate the different ballistic for tracers...

I think we should clarify if we're going for "real" or "looks real" because in ArmA, they can be two different things.

crazy_o.gif

Still workin on a new video wink_o.gif

Great work so far sickboy its getting better and better thumbs-up.gif

ty smile_o.gif

BTW, we could go for 2 or more methods while the user can make settings smile_o.gif

As described earlier, I can make a configuration class that can be put inside description.ext so then a Mission maker could actually work out the settings, I will toy with the idea in the weekend, which might end up in the final Release.

A little late  crazy_o.gif  but there ya go, a little entertainment with the RC2's.

2.jpg

<span style='color:blue'>YouTube</span>

ArmA: SixTracers RC2 + Modwar Sound Demo (LOUD)

<span style='color:blue'>Filefront Full Res</span>

http://files.filefront.com/6th_Tra....fo.html

<span style='color:red'>Warning! I think the gunfire comes out really loud</span>

pistols.gif

ARMAVIDZ

Just thought i wud say, that the tracers work in 1.05 on all vehicles IF a vehicle from Vilas' addon are placed on the map. Perhaps there is a way it can be modified for 1.05 seeing as 1.08 cud b a few weeks

Just thought i wud say, that the tracers work in 1.05 on all vehicles IF a vehicle from Vilas' addon are placed on the map. Perhaps there is a way it can be modified for 1.05 seeing as 1.08 cud b a few weeks

Not going through the hassle for a week or few mate, sry. 1.08 is close, 1.07 is quite wide used, I think I will concentrate on the refining and other matters rather than wasting time for a soon to become obsolete version.

FYI: Patch 1.08 should be released on Monday 11th June.
Correction; 1 weekend.

The night can be full of tracers - "ArmA Wars I" smile_o.gif

What about changing tracer rounds/ammo from player side? The player decides at the beginning of mission where the tracer rounds are eg on every 3rd/5th position in clip or is it possible too have a color choice too? Only thinking about give more options to an player....

v0.1RC3 Download

RC3 Changes:

[*] Better Center, Tracers appear closer to the barrel

[*] Should have no more bug with "firing out of head"

[*] Split configs into hpp's as all 6thSense.eu Addons

[*] Gave all Ammo that is used in Weapons with Multipliers (Shilka, AH6 etc. etc.) a tracerPer=1, to accomodate for the multiplier smile_o.gif

[*] Fixed bug where switching weapons inside vehicles could result in no more tracer

The night can be full of tracers - "ArmA Wars I" smile_o.gif

What about changing tracer rounds/ammo from player side? The player decides at the beginning of mission where the tracer rounds are eg on every 3rd/5th position in clip or is it possible too have a color choice too? Only thinking about give more options to an player....

Heya, I see very little usage in giving the Player any kind of options other than picking a certain rifle with certain tracer characteristics. Giving the player options would also need some considerable changes and additions. Maybe someone wants to write a Supplement for it?

For Mission Makers/Editors I will include a class setup that can be edited from within the description.ext file, the scripts will then check if you configured something, if you did it will take your settings, if you did not it will take default settings.

I might add such functionality in the upcoming releases.

I'm not getting any tracers for the AH6, Ah1 or the UH60.

I'm getting tracers for the infantry MGs and the vehicles. Weird!

I'm not getting any tracers for the AH6, Ah1 or the UH60.

I'm getting tracers for the infantry MGs and the vehicles. Weird!

Very weird, just been playing those an hour ago lol smile_o.gif

What game version are you on? It is extensively tested with v1.07beta 5157

Are you using RC3 release?

Try waiting up to 30 seconds and see if it starts working.

I'll have a look around anyway.

Suggestion -- disable rifle tracers by default with SIX_TRACER_EXCL_WEAP.