Sign in to follow this  
Scrub

ArmA enjoyable

Hi all, (I searched, and while there are threads that are limited to a feature or experience, none in the past month has been made for the express purpose of only posting personal likes about the game.)

In an effort to keep the topics from being muddied, I'd like to start this as a direct counterpoint to Militiasnipers 'ArmA Disapointing'.  In the past, I've gone on his thread to see what others do not like about the game, and at points that thread has gotten close to another flame war.  Since Militiasnipers' thread has definate value, and to save our respective composures, let this be the one where the positive side is showcased.  This will create a clear list of features and 'feel' in a measurable quantity to anyone (BIS) that reads them.

To start:  While the capacity of communications in ArmA is a bit clumsy, at the same time it's amazing.  I was in my squad server (3rd inf), while my team was pinned down in a structure by a tank and the other teams were trying to get us out alive.  There was the everpresent TS chatter of commanders organizing strikes and movements, the ArmA 'side' texting of less critical info ('who's in my helo' ), and the 'Direct' chatter of those local to me ('I hope the airstrike doesn't smear us, maybe we should move toward the center more' ).  The awareness of this info almost paints a complete situational picture in my mind like none other has in my 23 years of gaming.  Lovin' it.  notworthy.gif

Ok, here goes. At first I wasn't thrilled with ArmA after a couple of days with the new game. However, I can honestly say I shouldn't have been so hasty. After a rough start, It's the only thing I play now.

There's a lot to like. First off, I like coop play and ArmA has that. What makes the coop play good today, tomorrow and down the road, for me at least, is the editor and depth it brings to the game. There are more than enough units and objects and I'm impressed at the latitude the scripting engine brings. No two plays of the same scenario have to have the same exact outcomes.

To sum it up, the things I like most about ArmA are the freedom, depth and replayability experienced in my favorite game mode.

I like that the game has given me an excuse to learn texturing, and a beginning education in scripting and 3d modelling.

I also happen to like much of the gameplay. I like that I am able to actually pilot the helicopters, where in OFP I could only pilot the "Crashhawk," for the amount of time it took me to crash it.

I've only tried a few public multiplayer games, while they weren't the greatest, they weren't bad either. There are minor annoyances with the game for me, but all in all I like it.

I enjoy arma alot more than BF2, Arma has never crashed.

Only one bad thing about arma is the damn securom error i get sometimes.

But all in all, arma is great for making movies. I love tinkering with the editor, you can just make up your own little missions with out playing the side ones or campaign.

The patches are gettin' better too. BIS are really good.

I've tried a few servers online. Co-op is great fun. Especially with zombies lol.

Arma is the only thing i play nowadays. pistols.gif

I enjoy arma alot more than BF2, Arma has never crashed.

lucky you.... in my case it never played for more than 20 minutes....

great game otherwise

ArmA is pretty solid for me with latest beta patch, and OTK's (or is it OKT?) missions really add a level of immersion that makes ArmA special for me and has got me playing again a lot.

the trick is there is so much potential in Arma, but it needs a really special campaign to hang together for the general public. STALKER has a great campaign and crappy multi, but ArmA's default campaign is a bit thin but has awesome multi...

CWC and OFP had amazing campaigns.

Also i would like to see more weapons from BIS (RPK74, third gen PKM, FAL, G3, AN94, AK100 series, modern german weapons, etc). why? because being from BIS they'd be able to be used in all missions and be 'integrated' proportionately to other weapons out of the box. But i think Jackals or another weapon pack will solve this to a large degree...

its like wine, right now its just as raw as new wine right out of the wooden barrel, didnt taste good in many way, but you know they use good grapes to make them, and that over years it will become one of those from 82.

I like the fact that with the appropriate firing platform and optics, you can actually reach the limits of the performance of a machinegun... This is one of the few games where you will literally be out of range.

I like the fact that with the appropriate firing platform and optics, you can actually reach the limits of the performance of a machinegun... This is one of the few games where you will literally be out of range.

partly because ballistic, no matter now much lacks in the current system,

you cant compare modeled ballistic system to a "looks like"/"wanna be" ballistic system

you cant compare modeled ballistic system to a "looks like"/"wanna be" ballistic system

It's because of the view distance.

The tone of this thread is creepy. You're all making excuses for liking the game. "This sucks but it's still... you know... not completely sucking". It's like you're all at a funeral of some pedophile but you're too polite to say what you really think about the deceased.

The dudes in the disappointed thread are quite unabashed at telling everyone what they think!

It's because of the view distance.

The tone of this thread is creepy.  You're all making excuses for liking the game.  "This sucks but it's still... you know... not completely sucking".  It's like you're all at a funeral of some pedophile but you're too polite to say what you really think about the deceased.

The dudes in the disappointed thread are quite unabashed at telling everyone what they think!

confused_o.gif

well i simply misunderstand your words, and i just say you cant compare, instead of i like it

I didn't mean you in particular. Let's recap.

Quote[/b] ]

While the capacity of communications in ArmA is a bit clumsy, at the same time it's amazing.

Quote[/b] ]

At first I wasn't thrilled with ArmA after a couple of days with the new game. However, I can honestly say I shouldn't have been so hasty. After a rough start, It's the only thing I play now.

Quote[/b] ]

I've only tried a few public multiplayer games, while they weren't the greatest, they weren't bad either. There are minor annoyances with the game for me, but all in all I like it.

Quote[/b] ]

Only one bad thing about arma is the damn securom error i get sometimes.

Quote[/b] ]

ArmA's default campaign is a bit thin but has awesome multi...

Quote[/b] ]

its like wine, right now its just as raw as new wine right out of the wooden barrel, didnt taste good in many way, but you know they use good grapes to make them, and that over years it will become one of those from 82.

It's like... "Daddy used to rape me, but he also used to take me to football games.... he was a good person."

The folks in the complaining thread are like, "This game is rubbish, I'm going to sue BIS. It's like they spit in my eye and then killed my dog. Goodbye BIS, I hope you eat crushed glass and die!"

Is there no unbridled joy?

Indeed :|

-----------------------------

Anyway, clearly the best thing about ArmA is the MISSON EDITOR <3

Without it, i wouldnt play ArmA at all. Seriously.

really plaintiff1 you sometime makes me feels like you are playing face off from time to time(no offend here, just my through)

let me lets try this:

Quote[/b] ]i like the game simply because its a more updated raw OFP

i like this game cause now i can have a tonal size map with smooth online gameplay instead of the lagbag tonal used to be with decent HW as support

i like the game cause it is more scriptable platfrom then b4(dont blash me here, bugs is another thing)

i like the game for its TIR support which i could only use it in racing/ flightsim game b4, and now i could acturally use my "head" in game,

i like the improvments BI have made to the game

i like the new ironsight right now(and i could also keep zooming min to have a larger FOV by double tap numpad "-"  in 1.07)

no "this sucks but it's still not completely sucks" malarkey,

and surely i could do the same thing in "disappoint" topic

but i dont think ppl will like either way

IMO both this kind of topic deserves a lock from start off

Once again i made mistake: I played Combat Mission and after that i launched ArmA's mission editor... And soon shutted it down, because i realized (once again) that ArmA is FPS with slight flavor of wargame: FPSs sucks, wargames RULEZ and Firstperson-wargames RULEZZZZZ x 10.

I started to tweak script that gives AI routine how to form defencive positions and act like they would have been ordered to defend the spot not just hang around there and running like wild horse... Fired few test-rounds with raw version of script and... inlove.gif (once again)

For me Mission making just got a big boost, because now AI actually understands when told, that it needs to defend this spot.

Complete wargaming experience feels bit closer again. But there are plenty of things to do still in the path of converting firstperson-semi-wargame to firstperson-wargame. Fortunately it's doable in ArmA.

Someone keep Plaintiff talking while I fetch the Doc.

What on earth has ArmA got to do with paedophillia?

If you have nothing decent to say - STFU.

I enjoy ArmA quite a lot, actually even since the first Release. It's a pitty that ppl are haunted by bugs (some more than others), but these bugs never really bothered or hindered me whatsoever. I guess that's just Personal Taste/Opinion/View smile_o.gif

ArmA is a great game to my opinion, its the only game I play every week multiple days, usually even daily. Before ArmA it was OFP, and never ever has any other game kept me busy as such other then back when I was 12 years old, playing the first C&C Series all days :PP

I find the whole gaming concept of the OFP-Series great... the huge open-world, no loading screens (streaming engine, or back in ofp's time; load-all-first engine biggrin_o.gif), the extreme flexibility of the game is great too.... Missions, Intros, Scripts, Addons, Mods... Don't like something? --> Simply Change it... It all adds up to the enjoyment, replayability... it's even fascinating imho smile_o.gif

The close-to-realistic setting of the game attracts me a lot. Sure it's still a game, and that's good, but it got a lot of features aswell as settings that can make the game look/feel quite realistic and authentic --> immersion, which is of course a good thing smile_o.gif

I love to play the OFP Series in coop with friends, taking it slow, covering eachother, having a great time generally together...

Having a blast in Team-vs-Team Multiplayer Attack & Defend Missions is also an amazing experience, of course when the right missions and amounts of players are available.

I kinda never play Campaign or SinglePlayer Missions, though booting up the editor and screwing around, flying around, etc. etc. can keep me sometimes busy for hours aswell.

Then there is of course the scripting engine of the game which is really great to my opinion; nearly anything is possible, you name it, we make it smile_o.gif I find it also interesting how content-config's (addon configs) parameters work out ingame and thinking about weird hacks to get something working the way we want it wink_o.gif

The CQB options like the better 3d Optics and the way the head/arms etc. etc. move together is pretty nice too, I enjoy any type of combat because of it.... Distant, CQB, it doesn't matter biggrin_o.gif. Head Movement, especially incl. Track-IR simply is amazing aswell...

To my opinion ArmA's graphics are amazing... having such a large viewdistance, having a great HDR (to my opinion, on 16/32bit), great details as the star-map, sun/moon stuff based on the year/month etc, fire, smoke. etc. etc. it all adds up to a great experience and I think ArmA has made it's biggest progression in these areas smile_o.gif

I really love the Audio-effects aswell, the way it gets muffled because of Buildings and other Objects, I think it's a great improvement over OFP.

I personally think that the AI is medium (though you still must make sure you have enough of them running around on the battlefield) but requires tweaking and additional scripting logics to add in squad and platoon tactics etc, which could make the game a lot more interesting and make it more deep.

[*]Larger and more detailed environments!

[*]Better performance with more units on map.

[*]Persistant server feature and JIP.

[*]Improved a.i. and no more 12 unit limitation.

[*]Improved colision detection.

[*]Improved movement and infantry simulation.

[*]Multiple gun mounts per vehicle.

[*]New vehicle classes.

[*]Great graphics and special fx.

[*]Better damage model (no more cardboard).

[*]New scripting comands and functions.

[*]Improved water simulation, ability to swim.

[*]Better flight model.

[*]Animated vegetation (wind).

[*]Improved animation.

[*]Improved sound engine.

There are small things/improvements that make a huge diference but out of my head i just came up with these, if i broke them in detail the list would be huge.

Im having a great time with Arma and i know the reasons...

Bad mouthers mostly come up with: "Arma sucks" but no decent arguements.

Im having a great time smile_o.gif .

And for me aswell the whole list Heatseeker posted... damn I should write less story and more list items biggrin_o.gif

ArmA's release was like X-mas... unpacking the wraps to see what's in and then toying around with ur present lol...

"New scripting comands and functions." this was especially one of the coolest coarses to go through; Trial and error aswell as backed up by BIKI smile_o.gif

I have a lot of fun when I take ArmA like any other FPS, that`s why I use ArmA mainly for missions like BerZerk, which usually did not played in OFP. Evolution missions for example are not that much fun for me since the mission logic is excellent, but the ArmA standard addons are so bugged that the deviations from reality are to obvious to have real fun.

[*]Larger and more detailed environments!

[*]Better performance with more units on map.

[*]Persistant server feature and JIP.

[*]Improved a.i. and no more 12 unit limitation.

[*]Improved colision detection.

[*]Improved movement and infantry simulation.

[*]Multiple gun mounts per vehicle.

[*]New vehicle classes.

[*]Great graphics and special fx.

[*]Better damage model (no more cardboard).

[*]New scripting comands and functions.

[*]Improved water simulation, ability to swim.

[*]Better flight model.

[*]Animated vegetation (wind).

[*]Improved animation.

[*]Improved sound engine.

And for me aswell the whole list Heatseeker posted... damn I should write less story and more list items biggrin_o.gif

i quote Heatseeker

i bold the things more important for me.

Also think they should be improved and optimized

Hi,

Heatseeker sums it up perfectly, there are many reasons why Armed Assault is enjoyable. It has proven to incorporate much more improvements than the updated graphics and join in progress promised by the original announcements. Although there are minor flaws, the good by far outweighs the bad. Should an expansion for Armed Assault appear with new islands and some additional toys I would certainly buy it.

Regards,

Sander

Thank you Heatseeker and Sickboy (Edit: among others... damn it took a long time for me to get this post done, shouldn't do this at work) for getting the idea behind this thread.  I was getting really put-out and about to request a lock because of the double thinking and OT crap that is once again festering into every topic. It's easy to be a critic, it's easy to be negative and raise the bar of expectation.

**The negatives stay in the disappointed topic people***

This is not the thread to put your bad/perverted attitudes into.

On topic: Last night, we used the TOWs and LD/ Hellfires 'target anywhere' features for pinpoint strikes (until the Copperhead makes it's way into the game)  Very useful for CAS.

Someone keep Plaintiff talking while I fetch the Doc.

What on earth has ArmA got to do with paedophillia?

If you have nothing decent to say - STFU.

I didn't say that ArmA had anything to do with pedophilia. I said that most people sound like they are searching for a silver lining among some awefullness, and that the end result sounds quite weak compared to the content of the dissappointed thread. If this is the antithesis of that thread, the compliments we pay to arma should be purer. It's easy to seek out the flaws in something- that's just human nature. At any rate, the more recent posts are quite unpoluted. They are much more like the opposite of the complaints thread.

I'm sorry you couldn't glean anything from my previous posts. Evidently, you were so hooked on my analogy that you weren't able to understand my message. That's fine. I'm not sure that 'STFU' is any more valuable, however.