Sign in to follow this  
gumby123

1.08>   fastropes

ok, i saw a video online for VBS1, which of course is equivalent to operation flash point. In it i noticed that a black hawk managed to deploy a fast rope from it through the pilots command, now if thats possible in OFP, could that be a possibility for ARMA? Just curious, and not just an add on, Im talking a BIS update, just like how the Su34 was.

Fast roping has come to ArmA. You can get the template right here

have fun wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I have never understood the fascination with wanting to fastrope in a game.

the fascination same for other things we want in the game, the fascination of a better command interface, the fascination of a more accrate ballistic system, the fascination of being able to do anything we want to do in the game, this is how this game show us what it can be done, and what ppl think it can be done, and may well be the only game that had the things that able us to do that, just like apple and orange, everyone have a different taste

I think it's worth mentioning that the Atari boxed version of the game has a UH-60 (FFAR) with fastropes deployed and soldiers roping down.

I'm not saying it's supposed to be in the game. We know it isn't. I am, however, saying that Atari didn't have any issues with throwing in a bit of false advertising. icon_rolleyes.gif

The other gems are the three old-as-hell screens used on the back cover...

I have never understood the fascination with wanting to fastrope in a game.

So you don't have to land the chopper and/or it gives it a l337 splinter cell-like feel? whistle.gif

fast rope is exciting at least in ofp it was with the good old bas blackhawks, man i wish someone made the arma transport heli's with fast ropes , AA warning systems and flares and pilots that can deploy Ir strobes and have squads be able to call for extraction with a init line or two and a trigger inlove.gif

is it the ingame pic or the cover art? if it is a cover art, well i never trusted them, if it is the ingame pic, well then BI have yet another box of worm waiting for us to open.........

Of course we want fast roping in the game, insertion into wooded areas, rooftops etc, where the helo can't land.

Don't think a UH60 can land on one of the hovels for real, they aren't exactly light.....

is it the ingame pic or the cover art? if it is a cover art, well i never trusted them, if it is the ingame pic, well then BI have yet another box of worm waiting for us to open.........

It's the inside box cover cover-art. It's the old FFAR UH-60 render, without a pilot, and there are troops fastroping.

I remember in OFP ropes made by BAS?

But they were somehow rigid and did not swing with the copter movement. Would look ugly if it would be implemented like that also in ArmA. Since I see a lot of oddities in the physical simulation I can not imagine that a rope could be simulated in a RL way if the copter makes careless moves. I am not sure, but to avoid this I guess the copter was even locked at this position while rope was out.

Fastroping would be a nice addition indeed. Be it BIS or third party...

I suppose a non static solution for the rope would be possible, knowing the XXX1 fastrope in ADF2 was already very realistic, even the rope dropping. Although single player only and there was never a MP version of it released, but maybe the way it was done at that time, is why it wasn't possible to make it MP compatible. Anyway, fastroping is more possible to recreate nowadays in ArmA. Time will tell i suppose...

Hi, fastrope, working MFD's, IR goggles, flares & chaff, propper damage

models, Special Forces without anything special... and over all;the

bad performance of the game, is part of what makes the game much

more bad than how it could be. Don't have much sense to "simulate"

the modern warfare without the current methods of war that the

industrialized countrys use. Don't ask me why... but when i bought

the game, i though that it'll come with all those pimp things that

the addon makers and addon studios added during the years, to the

OFP; an example: The USMC Addon 1.0 by E&S scripts in they're

units, blackouts and things like that; the flares...!! like in the BAS

choppers and others, the spitting of empty shells by the tanks

cannons and the different machineguns and weapons systems;

without all those pimp things, this game looks like that it's on

panties. Let's C ya

Of course we want fast roping in the game, insertion into wooded areas, rooftops etc, where the helo can't land.

Don't think a UH60 can land on one of the hovels for real, they aren't exactly light.....

i guess thats one reason for that combat sertified pilots are learnt NOT to touch ground when inserting\extracting troops in unknown areas.....

another reason for that are mines tounge2.gif

(btw, anyone tried if that works in arma? does a landing -60 set of a mine?)

First we need ropes. After that you can start asking for the ability to fastrope/rappel from choppers, but until we have ropes don't ask for it (hint: ask for ropes instead).

There is a VBS2 video (check the media section of VBS2) which shows the LVRS (Loadmaster Virtual Reality Simulation) Movies and there is an interesting representation of ropes being used. If anything it shows how ropes would look like and what the possibilities are.

thumbs-up.gif

Lets not get into a discussion about VBS2. I only brought it up because of the similarities in the engines and therefore the possible implications.

There are no possible 'implications' of the rope system from VBS2 in ArmA. I'm sure it was developed outside of BIS by BIA, and I'm sure BIS is far too busy to develop their own anytime soon.

We'll most likely end up relying on the community to implement such a thing when (if?) the tools come out. I'm sure when OFP first came out, few people could have imagined BAS coming up with quite a bit of the stuff they did with Helicopter addons

There are no possible 'implications' of the rope system from VBS2 in ArmA. I'm sure it was developed outside of BIS by BIA, and I'm sure BIS is far too busy to develop their own anytime soon.

I understand. But it's a sign, if anything, that it is possible, a representation of what it may look like and what creative modders could possibly work towards. It's shows that a flowing 'rope-like' object can be created and that the engine is not limited to static 'rope-poles'. This is based on the fact that a similar engine (though enhanced) has the capability of producing the rope effect.

I concur with you regarding the rope systems development, and I'm sure it's something that BIS has at the bottom of their list, if indeed it is on their list. I do have faith though that there is a quiet little man in his quiet little room somewhere on this earth tinkering with the idea of developing something closely resembling what is showcased in, the BIA developed, VBS2.

We can only hope. biggrin_o.gif

sorry to slightly diverged... quick question?

Ya know the technique that mountain climbers use to roll up there ropes up so as when they throw them over the edge they 'unfurl/unravel' nicely...?

Does anyone know where I might find a description of this technique? I've googled my butt of on that...

We can only hope.

Or you could hope for something better?

Despite the impressions being given by a few over-zealous board members, I doubt VBS is the be-all and end-all of what is or is not possible with the engine. wink_o.gif

sorry to slightly diverged... quick question?

Ya know the technique that mountain climbers use to roll up there ropes up so as when they throw them over the edge they 'unfurl/unravel' nicely...?

Does anyone know where I might find a description of this technique? I've googled my butt of on that...

Do you mean the Alpine Coil

well, you know what would be a good idea, if we all signed a petition-like page showing all the support towards this idea, who knows maybe BIS might take the time sooner or later to create them and add them to the blackhawks.

Yes, we really need fast roping. Parachuting all the time is bloody annoying.

Think it out... it would require more than most think to actually be practical and usefull. Currently we have two alternatives, low hover/land or para jump, i dont like the later... wouldnt mind seeing it removed for good.

This would also require new helicopter models, adapted to support the feature (none of that closed doors nonsense), rope simulation and operation, animations, code that involves physics...

Think about how long does it take to stop a helicopter at a specific altitude, drop the ropes, wait for 8 guys to fastrope, then drop the ropes and finally bail.

This means exposure for.. 1 minut+? Currently A PK gunner can snipe a pilot in 5 seconds, a DSHK in 2 seconds, a static helicopter is a dead helicopter, a moving helicopter might make it out, sometimes.

Currently the best way to insert in Arma is to fly fast, drop low and fly away, avoiding exposure as much as possible.

This means more changes to the game, when i already wonder why doesnt the a.i. RPG my helicopter while im hovering...

Much work and changes for something that is cool (yes i saw the movie too) but what about usefull/practical?

Im not against the idea... im just thinking about what is being asked smile_o.gif .