Sign in to follow this  
Second

Suppressionscript-pack

Interesting find, snoops...

What could be pretty useful too is to make the AI launch smoke cover when in pinned down situation. With DMarkwick viewblocking smoke, this is a must wink_o.gif

I'll try it when I get home !

Malick

Yep I mentioned this on another thread, trying to get VictorFarbau to work his smoke grenade code into this suppression script biggrin_o.gif

But I suppose it might be better done the other way around. VF's script adds a smoke grenade to all units, who then use it if they are hit, in the direction of the perceived threat. As a simple solution, it works very well, and greatly improves the battlefield dynamic, especially with smokeshell viewblock implemented.

As a starting position for this logic, I would suggest that smoke grenade throwing be used on (say) the bottom two suppression levels. Say at suppression level X, the leader identifies either an escape, an advance, or a cover that is N meters away. He then orders the next available soldier with a smokeshell to throw accordingly. Lets say that level X produces a 20% chance of this happening.

Now, at level X+1, the stakes are more desperate and a retreat vector is more probable than any other. The leader now has a (say) 40% chance of making a smokeshell order.

With good levels of probability, an intelligent system can be worked out I reckon. For example although level X+1 has more probability of retreating, it's not necessarily so. There might be a 20-80 split in that decision at that level.

That YouTube video is good... what kind of effect does this have on the AI's ability to follow waypoints, however? Say if you were on top of that hill and you gave them a nice 20 round hoorah while they were running from (your) left to right... would they eventually get back on track or would they still be sitting around those walls 30 minutes later?

I'm just curious, as I've never used these in a mission, and they look rather nifty. That video was very good.

Also, what's the UPS script?

That YouTube video is good... what kind of effect does this have on the AI's ability to follow waypoints, however? Say if you were on top of that hill and you gave them a nice 20 round hoorah while they were running from (your) left to right... would they eventually get back on track or would they still be sitting around those walls 30 minutes later?

I'm just curious, as I've never used these in a mission, and they look rather nifty. That video was very good.

Also, what's the UPS script?

UPS is the Urban Patrol Script, basically you set an "area" for patrols to happen in and random waypoints are generated. It also has a few side effects, like improved flanking maneuvers. I use the UPS a lot, and I think it gives very realistic behaviors when used in conjunction with other AI scripts, like this one.

As far as I know, the AI will resume waypoint following in pretty much the same way as they would ordinarily. (if they do). The suppression levels reduce over time, allowing them to break cover, advance, retreat or resume patrols.

Hi all !

This set of scripts is very useful and improves greatly the game experience.

As suggested in this thread, I have created a standalone addon (with extended init event handler), added checks for units in vehicles (they never count for suppression calculation) and added a simple script for groups in "pinned down" or "breaking" states to throw smoke cover (thanks to DMarkwick viewblock smokeshells).

I have made a quick test in editor and it works ok. The only thing I may think of is that they currently throw in a random direction... wink_o.gif

I wait for Second agreement before putting it here for download...

Malick

Hi all !

This set of scripts is very useful and improves greatly the game experience.

As suggested in this thread, I have created a standalone addon (with extended init event handler), added checks for units in vehicles (they never count for suppression calculation) and added a simple script for groups in "pinned down" or "breaking" states to throw smoke cover (thanks to DMarkwick viewblock smokeshells).

Great news there Malick. Look forward to using it.

I have made a quick test in editor and it works ok. The only thing I may think of is that they currently throw in a random direction... wink_o.gif

I wait for Second agreement before putting it here for download...

Malick

Have you looked at VFAI method of getting direction info? It's not perfect but it's pretty good. I'm pretty sure VictorFarbau (the author) would be pleased to let you use it, as it was only a quick solution and not part of the main functionality.

*edit*

Other than that, maybe a smokeshell throw direction based on the intention of the AI? For example if the AI intend to move off in a direction (either retreat or attack) then that direction is where the smokeshell goes, in lieu of an actual enemy to throw toward.

Have you looked at VFAI method of getting direction info? It's not perfect but it's pretty good. I'm pretty sure VictorFarbau (the author) would be pleased to let you use it, as it was only a quick solution and not part of the main functionality.

*edit*

Other than that, maybe a smokeshell throw direction based on the intention of the AI? For example if the AI intend to move off in a direction (either retreat or attack) then that direction is where the smokeshell goes, in lieu of an actual enemy to throw toward.

Thank you DMarkwick for showing interest.

Regarding the throwing direction, I'm currently digging in VFAI scripts. I may come with a solution which is between VictorFarbau's method and what you said (throw in direction of next move)...

Malick

Thank you DMarkwick for showing interest.

Regarding the throwing direction, I'm currently digging in VFAI scripts. I may come with a solution which is between VictorFarbau's method and what you said (throw in direction of next move)...

Malick

Hey no problem, I have a great interest in this activity smile_o.gif

VFAI's method (as far as I can tell) involve the parameters passed upon a unit being hit, one of which is the firing unit. I don't think it's necessarily so that the info is used to "magically" know the location of target, but it might be worth thinking about as far as throwing direction of smokeshells goes.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll come up with a great solution. There's nothing quite as satisfying as watching AI disappear into smokescreen, or indeed seeing them charging out of it smile_o.gif

OK, quick update : you can download the suppression addon, using Extended Event Handlers and smoke cover. Plays best with DMarkwick VB smoke shells !

Click here for a download link

I hope to have some feedback and comments in order to improve it as much as possible.

Malick

It's difficult to measure the effectiveness of the smokeshell logic when so few soldiers actually have one smile_o.gif, have you tried adding one to each soldier?

It's difficult to measure the effectiveness of the smokeshell logic when so few soldiers actually have one smile_o.gif, have you tried adding one to each soldier?

I know, the default load of smokeshell is only for team/squad leaders, so a squad is not really able to cover itself very often.

However, you can see the effects of the script by simply putting 2-3 squads on each side and watch. Usually, within a minute or two, at least two squads are pinned down and throw smoke around...

I realise that I have tested this with quite a lot of mods around (Proper and TrueMods, reduced AI precision to 0.55 and increased the AI engagement range by setting CAMan sensitivity to 12). Effects may differ due to this : for me, AI engages the fight at 200-300 meters and with reduced precision, the firefight lasts several minutes, which is long enough for the script.

Tell me if you have any problem or if you can't see it.

On my side, the addon does not load for units spawned after the start of the game. Any other bug so far ?

Malick

[EDIT]Thanks Imutep for a mirror :

Mirror on AssaultMissionStudio.de

OK, quick update : you can download the suppression addon, using Extended Event Handlers and smoke cover. Plays best with DMarkwick VB smoke shells !

Click here for a download link

I hope to have some feedback and comments in order to improve it as much as possible.

Malick

@Malick

Does this mean that if I include this .pbo in my addons folder that the suppression scripts work in all my missions?

It should... Just drop the addon in an addon mod folder (let say "ArmA\@Suppression\Addons") and every mission will have this included.

What it does is add an Init EventHandler to all Man class units. Then, the scripts apply only to groups instead of separate units and skips units in vehicles.

Each group, when pinned down or breaking/fleeing, has a chance (50% and 75% respectively) of throwing smoke cover. However, the default load out of smokeshells in each group is pretty thin... I think that only squad and/or team leaders have some, by default.

The effects should be visible even with small firefights. Of course, squads firing too close on each other won't even have time to throw smoke, as they will pretty much anihilate each other quite quickly. Best solution is to reduce units precision in difficulty setting and increase their engagement range.

Feel free to post ideas and comments...

Enjoy !

Malick

Have you thought about using VictorFarbau's method of adding a smokeshell to all units? If that happens I guess you might need to employ a leader-directed method of smoke ejection, so that only one unit is making decisions.

Have you thought about using VictorFarbau's method of adding a smokeshell to all units? If that happens I guess you might need to employ a leader-directed method of smoke ejection, so that only one unit is making decisions.

In fact, a group throws only one smoke at a time.

The logic is simple: if the group is pinned down (and the smoke cover script has been called), check if member_1 has a smokeshell. If yes, throw it and exit the script. If not, go to the member_2 of the group, and so on.

Like this, there is the illusion that there is only one guy making the decision.

As you said, I'll try adding smoke shell to every unit, or maybe add some to Squad/Team Leaders only.

We can even think of smoke cover for infantry vehicles and tanks... With a different logic for suppression calculation, an armored unit may want to hide from enemy (if outnumbered, for example). We just have to create a "smokeshell" somewhere between the vehicle and the nearest known threat (not enemy).

Well, I'm day dreaming, here... biggrin_o.gif

Malick

I did not like this script/addon.

First the suppression cancels any orders to your AI. and you get annoying text constantly poping up saying "you are now supressed" or "ok, it your free to move now".

I didn't notice any significant change in enemy behaviour, because suppression isn't associated with seeking cover. I think some kind of suppression system is a must, and would make AI much smarter, but this sciprt/addon doesn't do the job.

I'd like to see what can be done in the future.

I did not like this script/addon.

First the suppression cancels any orders to your AI. and you get annoying text constantly poping up saying "you are now supressed" or "ok, it your free to move now".

I didn't notice any significant change in enemy behaviour, because suppression isn't associated with seeking cover. I think some kind of suppression system is a must, and would make AI much smarter, but this sciprt/addon doesn't do the job.

I'd like to see what can be done in the future.

Well, that's odd, because I see rather excellent AI behavior as a result of the 2ndSuppression script. The logic is the same for your own troops as well as other AI, and that's what I see from tests. You're right that orders are ignored when suppressed - that's the entire point of suppression.

Troops have varying degrees of accuracy & discipline depending on the effectiveness of incoming fire. Try setting up a confrontation & watching the battle as a civilian to appreciate this.

And, as a personal recommendation, use this in conjunction with the TrueRangeAI addon and UPS script to give excellent behaviors, and toss in the VFAI addon if you're using my smoke grenade VB addon for a real treat wink_o.gif

i fiddle around with 2nd's script and change a line in suppression_result.sqs where when the group in CAUTIOS suppression level, their behaviour would be set to "stealth" and i change it to combat. work nicely for me.. especially in an assault. you dont want the soldiers to stop assaulting just because bullets start to fly around. so this way, the assault team will continue moving forward under fire... when the suppression level reach pinned down, then its okay to stop moving and start seeking cover. just my personal preferences

i fiddle around with 2nd's script and change a line in suppression_result.sqs where when the group in CAUTIOS suppression level, their behaviour would be set to "stealth" and i change it to combat. work nicely for me.. especially in an assault. you dont want the soldiers to stop assaulting just because bullets start to fly around. so this way, the assault team will continue moving forward under fire... when the suppression level reach pinned down, then its okay to stop moving and start seeking cover. just my personal preferences

Nice one thumbs-up.gif

If I use this addon on my dedi server will all server AI use the suppression script? ( I guess not player squad AI cos they're handled client side right?)

@second

I was recently looking into the structure of those scripts and I noticed that they use setSkill array command. But BIKI says:

Quote[/b] ]This is a reserved keyword for future implementations. In Armed Assault it is not implemented yet.

Are you sure it does affect AI? Did you run any tests?

i've been fidling again... now to simulate battle drill. let say a squad moving in column formation, when under attack, they will change formation to line. only problem is, its only suitable when they are heading towards each other, if 2 squads met at an angle, then it seems pointless. maybe i'll try with setFormDir

i think im hijacking the thread.. sorry second. your script is awesome notworthy.gif

If I use this addon on my dedi server will all server AI use the suppression script? ( I guess not player squad AI cos they're handled client side right?)

Correct.