Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

What he said - ta Albert. biggrin_o.gif

Karantan - I'm behind having another great game all the way. I'm simply saying that if the game is poor, the community's response to it will (to speak figuratively) "teach Codemasters a lesson" for trying to paste a good name (being that of OFP) onto a crap product, and that this "teaching" would be rather ironic seeing as CM was behind the original OFP. I think you misunderstand me a bit there.

Anyways, as I said, we all should stop making preasumptions and just wait and see ...

Anyways, as I said, we all should stop making preasumptions and just wait and see ...

that I think we all agree. But whats life without assumptions? xmas_o.gif

Can anyone translate the article?

The "screenshot" is clearly just artwork, I guess it'll be a while before they are ready to show what the game looks like.

It could turn out to be a decent game, so long as they can implement streaming technology otherwise it wont be able to have OFP/Arma style huge maps. Unit numbers are another issue. It's not easy to make decent AI and be able to have huge numbers at the same time.

We'll just have to wait and see.

The "screenshot" is clearly just artwork, I guess it'll be a while before they are ready to show what the game looks like.

Looks like a render to me, which is good news.

Well uhh here's my shoddy attempt at translation...

Quote[/b] ]Every fan already knew it was coming but now it's official: Codemasters has announced Operation Flashpoint 2. Planned release date 2008.

As you would expect from Operation Flashpoint one will recieve a grand scale Single- and Multiplayer warsimulation in a current scenario. During all this the gameplay should be as realistic as possible. A wide selection of military <<categories/careers - dunno how to translate better>> allows one to find their role on the battlefield. The grapics engine will be a shooter version of the Neon-Engine. What that can do show the many screens and videos from Colin McRae Dirt. Codemasters wishes to announces further information about the game during the summer. There is alsoa newsletter for fans on the official Homepage.

Originally amred assault should've been the sequel for OFP. But Codemasters was unsatisfied with the slow work of developers at Bohemia Interactive. So the manufacture of the follow up to OFP began already 2 years ago, while the original devlopers made their game under a different name.

BTW Heiko Klinge just spoke to a few of the programmers. On friday tomorrow he will report on his impressions.

Well, they are masters of code. So we can look forward to some heavy scriptin'! biggrin_o.gif

Rough translation:

What true fans knew for a long time has now been officially confirmed: Codemaster today has officially announced Operation Flashpoint 2, planned releasedate 2008

Like everyone expects you´ll get a bigscale Singleplayer and Multiplayer warsim embedded in an up-to-date scenario.

The experience within the game is planned to be as close to reality as it can get. A wide selection of military diciplines enables you to find your best fitting role in battle.

The gfx engine will be based on a FPS-shooter version of the NEON engine.

To see what the engine is capable of, just check screenshots and videos of Colin McRae Dirt.

Codemasters plans to release further info on FP 2 throughout the summer. Fans can subscribe to a newsletter at the official FP 2 page

Armed Assault originally was supposed to be the followup for FP.

Soon Codemasters felt unhappy about the slow working process of BIS.

Therefore they started inhouse developement of FP 2 2 years ago while the original FP creators had to choose another name for their game.

Heiko Klinge has just spoken to the FP 2 programmers and will give some impressions on tomorrows Gamestar TV session.

BTW, let´s discuss the shot. I do think that parts of it are shopped. Old Codie habit. What units and vehicles are you able to see ?

Flashpoint2.jpg

I think there's two operational vehicles in the background, maybe MBTs. So blurry I really can't tell though.

It is my greatest fear in competition is that it could cause a very damaging community split if it is as good/better than ArmA.

I heard "all consoles" but will it be on PC?

Also, considering Arma was generally the same flashpoint in a new shell, I think the general populous is going to be swaying toward codie's game.

Personally, judging by the style, I am looking more forward to this than I was armed assault. (I was looking way more forward to Game 2, which we haven't heard from in ages) I trust that codemasters know what fans loved in the original FP and won't screw it up. I can't wait to see some gameplay footage. Also, while it may not be in game, these renders usually display a general style/feel the developers are going for. For me, atmosphere is a big part of the game, so I am looking forward to this. Arma felt really bland to me with little atmosphere.

EDIT: BTW, that armor I believe is "dragon skin." It's one of those things where it's so ridiculously effective that it can just be assumed to be in service by all branches within the next 20 years. That's why they have those GRAW-style vests.

Quote[/b] ]Operation Flashpoint 2 Render

Nuff said tounge2.gif

Looks like the new Ghost Recon to me (especially the soldiers) icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit: of course I forgot the wonders of Photoshop in my initial post, sorry Adobe notworthy.gif

Quote[/b] ]Operation Flashpoint 2 Render

Looks like the new Ghost Recon to me (especially the soldiers) icon_rolleyes.gif

Read last paragraph above. I don't believe its because they want to "copy" a popular game. It's actually what U.S. armed forces will probably be using in 10 years.

Anybody know what rifles the soldiers are holding?

HK-416 on the left, MK12 SPR on the right?

This all looks good in my opinion, allthough the screen looks like a render.

However it is a multiplatform title, and that means that the PC probably would suffer under the more tied up control options of a console.

I of course could be very wrong, but I do believe I have a point biggrin_o.gif

This all looks good in my opinion, allthough the screen looks like a render.

However it is a multiplatform title, and that means that the PC probably would suffer under the more tied up control options of a console.

I of course could be very wrong, but I do believe I have a point  biggrin_o.gif

I was thinking the same thing, I mean the main question I'm thinking of now is which are they primarily developing for? I mean is it going to be a PC game made into a PS3&360 game or the other way around?

I don't want to have a stripped down game because a year from now PCs will be pushing a lot of technology consoles can't handle. Codemasters is not making a training tool for the military so they don't have an excuse for not making OFP2 the best game it can be.

Arcade wOOt! crazy_o.gif

I bet if they are going to big maps (which I doubt) you would need to load between areas. yay.gif

I think this is the right time for counterstroke from BIS to show us their Game2 progress in last years and calm down the community smile_o.gif

All the hardware and driver bugs/incompatibilities that have been complained about on these forums, makes me think it is not a bad idea at all to make games for consoles and forget the PC... might save a couple of a programmer's hairs.

Where does it say it's getting released for consoles? I'm not buying no crappy port game. O.o

to the PC and "major console formats."

to the PC and "major console formats."

Where did you read that?

Ah man if this is another shitty console game then that hurts... Flashpoint goes the way of ghost recon? Oh no...