Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

School shooting "phenomenom"

All guns need not be banned. But some common sense may be applied, it is not forbidden in U.S. either, no matter how "the amendment" is interpreted.

Concentrate on the guns that people can easily carry with them so that others don't notice it (handguns). Concentrate on the guns that are likely to cause significant damage if someone uses them against others in a crowded public place (semi-autom. and full autom. guns for starters).

I have absolutely no problem with the hunting weapons. The guns in question are inappropriate for hunting.

Im not sure if its mentioned here, but Jack Thompson (yeah, you didnt see that one coming, did you :/) blames the Virginia Tech incident on video games...

Figures. icon_rolleyes.gif An even better comment, I thought, was by some high-ranking NRA member (think his last name was Boortz) who suggested that if the students being fired at had had their own weapons on hand, they could have defended themselves. Jeez-us!

Anyone seen the script the gunman wrote for a play?

Some seriously messed up shit in there, not even going to post a link, if you want to see it, look for it yourself.

I would not go into a university where students are allowed to keep weapons with them for self-protection... that would be a totally insane place. Do you feel safe when you are surrounded by weapons? I don't.

Even in the Finnish Defence Forces where everyone were supposed to be friendlies, I didn't like the idea at the shooting range that there were some 100+ people close to me with loaded assault rifles. It only needs one error from someone... I didn't feel exactly safe when there were lots of weapons and ammunition close to me. Actually during that year one person even got killed during a battle exercise. He got a bullet into the back of his head.

I would not go into a university where students are allowed to keep weapons with them for self-protection... that would be a totally insane place. Do you feel safe when you are surrounded by weapons?

Yes. I trust the people I go to college with.

So you think you know all the thousands of people in the university that well? Good for you then...

Even if you knew all the people, there is still the possibility that a gun goes off accidentally and you are in the line of fire. Trusting that person won't help much.

So you think you know all the thousands of people in the university that well? Good for you then...

Even if you knew all the people, there is still the possibility that a gun goes off accidentally and you are in the line of fire. Trusting that person won't help much.

Well I know all the people from my academy. Can't say there's a single person that I don't trust. You are supposed to trust your fellow students, being all paranoia, that's stupid.

It is not like they will walk around with it in their pocket, if they do, I expect them to know what they are doing.

,,,As they expected from that South Corean psycho that he knows what he's doing,,,

Well I know all the people from my academy. Can't say there's a single person that I don't trust. You are supposed to trust your fellow students, being all paranoia, that's stupid.

It is not like they will walk around with it in their pocket, if they do, I expect them to know what they are doing.

Yes indeed as was just stated, Cho Seung-hui knew exactly what he was doing! If you think that you can trust an entire college campus you need a reality check mate! Even people I've known for years have surprised me in the things that they have done. Noone  EVER knows anyone else 100% and as for an entire campus! .... tutut.gif

Also as has been said using alcohol to balance statistics is a feeble argument. Alcohol is a social drink enjoyed by millions. It has a function in society even if it is often abused. Hand guns on the other hand have no social function whatsoever if they are being carried around in someone’s pocket other than to be used in anger.

One can not disarm a country, while it is at war with itself.

Yes indeed as was just stated, Cho Seung-hui knew exactly what he was doing! If you think that you can trust an entire college campus you need a reality check mate! Even people I've known for years have surprised me in the things that they have done. Noone EVER knows anyone else 100% and as for an entire campus! .... tutut.gif

The "knowing what they are doing" is about handling a firearm. Do you really expect someone go on the streets or into college with a firearm that he or she can't properly operate.

However it is ridiculous to feel unsafe at school. These people are your fellow students, the people you work with and you are supposed to trust. Even when they are carrying firearms. Of course there are always psycho's but let me compare it with driving a car, it's not like you are afraid of driving because someone may cause an accident? It's exactly the same at college, there are always psycho's walking around. However it's absolutely ridiculous to feel unsafe because there is a possibility that someone might pull a gun. It's all paranoia...

I can only say that there is definitely something seriously wrong with a person who brings a gun into a school. There is no need for guns in schools. Why would a rational person bring a gun into school? What does a rational person do with a gun in a school? It doesn't make sense. That is why we don't allow it, as there is already something seriously wrong with someone who thinks he needs to bring a gun into a school. As that is true in my honest opinion, I would naturally be very worried if I knew that someone in the classroom has a gun with him on a daily basis. If you call that kind of worry ridiculous then well... I guess it is your problem not mine.

Albert I'm not lying. I can see there is no way you'll believe my story so I wont discuss it further.

Quote[/b] ]Even if you knew all the people, there is still the possibility that a gun goes off accidentally and you are in the line of fire. Trusting that person won't help much.

The odds of that happening are so small as to not even be worth contemplating.

Quote[/b] ]An even better comment, I thought, was by some high-ranking NRA member (think his last name was Boortz) who suggested that if the students being fired at had had their own weapons on hand, they could have defended themselves.

Please explain how the could not have defended them selves if one of them was armed?

Quote[/b] ]Even in the Finnish Defence Forces where everyone were supposed to be friendlies, I didn't like the idea at the shooting range that there were some 100+ people close to me with loaded assault rifles. It only needs one error from someone... I didn't feel exactly safe when there were lots of weapons and ammunition close to me. Actually during that year one person even got killed during a battle exercise. He got a bullet into the back of his head.

It sounds more and more like you have a phobia.

Some one mentioned that alchohol cannot not be used as a comparison in this debate. I don't know any one who has ever shot some one or has been shot at with the exception of being a war veteran. On the other hand I've lost friends and family do to drunks.

Yes indeed as was just stated, Cho Seung-hui knew exactly what he was doing! If you think that you can trust an entire college campus you need a reality check mate! Even people I've known for years have surprised me in the things that they have done. Noone EVER knows anyone else 100% and as for an entire campus! .... tutut.gif

Also as has been said using alcohol to balance statistics is a feeble argument. Alcohol is a social drink enjoyed by millions. It has a function in society even if it is often abused. Hand guns on the other hand have no social function whatsoever if they are being carried around in someone’s pocket other than to be used in anger.

I brought up the statistics first because someone brought up accepting the consequences from alcohol usage. The consequence is high in America. Anyway, I think you answer the question why firearms exist in American culture and why they are "popular": it is a social function here. Many non-Americans wouldn't simply get it but it is. Most gun owners aren't thinking about murdering another individual when they have a firearm in their possession. The numbers don't add up if they did. It is the criminal minority that abuses the tool.

I guess I don't fear mods!

Fellow trusted students or not. Try leaving your ipod, wallet or laptop somewhere on campus. Common sense says that's a really bad idea. It's important not to confuse common sense with paranoia or blind trust. It's also important to keep a level head in the wake of such a traumatic event.

It sounds more and more like you have a phobia.

No, that is not true.

It is just common sense about what I think is safe and what is not. Being in a place full of loaded guns is not safe. I took the shooting range at the army as an example of a situation where there is a great danger to get hurt accidentally when there are a lot of loaded guns all over the place.

Also if you did not read my previous post, I say again; there is already something seriously wrong with a person who thinks he needs to bring a gun with him to school. A rational person has no use for a gun in a school.

I can only say that there is definitely something seriously wrong with a person who brings a gun into a school. There is no need for guns in schools. Why would a rational person bring a gun into school? What does a rational person do with a gun in a school? It doesn't make sense. That is why we don't allow it, as there is already something seriously wrong with someone who thinks he needs to bring a gun into a school. As that is true in my honest opinion, I would naturally be very worried if I knew that someone in the classroom has a gun with him on a daily basis.

Someone who got harassed on her or his way to school? Someone who has to work after college? I could think of numerous of reasons.

Quote[/b] ]If you call that kind of worry ridiculous then well... I guess it is your problem not mine.

I am not the one who's paranoid.

Quote[/b] ]Fellow trusted students or not. Try leaving your ipod, wallet or laptop somewhere on campus. Common sense says that's a really bad idea. It's important not to confuse common sense with paranoia or blind trust. It's also important to keep a level head in the wake of such a traumatic event.

Not blind trust, allthough I have to admit, I know several people who did forgot their phone, wallet, laptop somewhere which were the next day returned by people who found them or were able to pick up their stuff at the lost and found.

I can only say that there is definitely something seriously wrong with a person who brings a gun into a school. There is no need for guns in schools. Why would a rational person bring a gun into school? What does a rational person do with a gun in a school? It doesn't make sense. That is why we don't allow it, as there is already something seriously wrong with someone who thinks he needs to bring a gun into a school. As that is true in my honest opinion, I would naturally be very worried if I knew that someone in the classroom has a gun with him on a daily basis.

Someone who got harassed on her or his way to school? Someone who has to work after college? I could think of numerous of reasons.

Quote[/b] ]If you call that kind of worry ridiculous then well... I guess it is your problem not mine.

Quote[/b] ]Fellow trusted students or not. Try leaving your ipod, wallet or laptop somewhere on campus. Common sense says that's a really bad idea. It's important not to confuse common sense with paranoia or blind trust. It's also important to keep a level head in the wake of such a traumatic event.

Not blind trust, allthough I have to admit, I know several people who did forgot their phone, wallet, laptop somewhere which were the next day returned by people who found them or were able to pick up their stuff at the lost and found.

HAHAHAHAHA Ironsight you are killing me here! rofl.gifrofl.gif

Should it be a good idea for a person who gets harrased on his way to school or to work after school to bring a gun!?

HAHAHA

Sorry to say, Ironsight, you are simply proving our points here, mate. There is seriously something really fecked up with that way of thinking - and I seriously don't hope the American public thinks like that.

If your culture do not feel it common sense NOT to bring a gun to school, then I understand why the average American IQ is so much lower than the rest of the western world. (No offense, other American reader - I am of course aware, that you cannot all be this ignorant).

Cheers

I understand Ironsight's opinion here. You should be able to trust schoolmates, Also.. if the school teachers and all are doing their jobs, they could prevent such things from happening, much like this incident, it COULD have been preventged if they took the steps they should have. Don't we learn anything from Columbine? they advertise it on the tv enough, Godamn

One thing about Ironsights idea. if somebody were to get the opportunity and try to kill others, atleast somebody else could be armed and stop him in self defense. That is one way to look at it.

But once again, something like this could be prevented if teachers actually did their jobs to the fullest, and realised the reality of these situations.

if you are angry or crazy and you have a weapon you surely will use it , if you don't have any weapon you surely won't use it , it is as simple as that.

HAHAHAHAHA Ironsight you are killing me here! rofl.gifrofl.gif

Should it be a good idea for a person who gets harrased on his way to school or to work after school to bring a gun!?

HAHAHA

Sorry to say, Ironsight, you are simply proving our points here, mate. There is seriously something really fecked up with that way of thinking - and I seriously don't hope the American public thinks like that.

If your culture do not feel it common sense NOT to bring a gun to school, then I understand why the average American IQ is so much lower than the rest of the western world. (No offense, other American reader - I am of course aware, that you cannot all be this ignorant).

Cheers

There are plenty of examples of a case like this. Say you're a girl and you got raped on your way to school, wouldn't you take a gun with you next time you go out of the door? It's exactly the same thing as pepper spray or a taser. Seriously, I would like to see what you do...

With harrased I mean physically assaulted. Just so you know it...

By the way, just for the record, I am not even American. Stupid icon_rolleyes.gif

For most of the reasons people say they need to carry a handgun, a tazer or pepper spray would works as good in my opinion. My dad is paranoid of "the big city" as he's a good old country boy. When I lived in Chicago, in a pretty bad gang ridden area, he tried to give me a 25cal pocket pistol "just in case". No figgin way would I carry a handgun even in that area. I'd more than likely shoot myself trying to get it out of my pocket, not to mention I doubt I could really pull the trigger if I needed to. Pepperspray or mace or whatever should be good enough for someone to use to get away from someone. If that other person has a gun then your F'd anyway. You can't tell that if your walking down the street and someone pulls a gun on you to rob you, you'd be good enough or fast enough to get the gun out from wherever your hiding it and defend yourself. I've yet to hear of anyone doing that. Maybe there has been, but the number of success's would still be too small to justify laws allowing people to carry a concealed weapon. There was an off-duty cop shot here recently when he pulled his gun at some incident. That would be what would happen more times than not.

The "knowing what they are doing" is about handling a firearm. Do you really expect someone go on the streets or into college with a firearm that he or she can't properly operate.

Yes I do! Plenty of people drive around in cars that they can't properly operate! tounge2.gif   How many people who own a handgun in the US have had proper training in their usage? Is it even a requirement? So there will be plenty of nervous 'post rape victims' wandering around with a deadly weapon in their pockets/up their skirts that they may well fire incorrectly if needed in anger!

For most of the reasons people say they need to carry a handgun, a tazer or pepper spray would works as good in my opinion. My dad is paranoid of "the big city" as he's a good old country boy. When I lived in Chicago, in a pretty bad gang ridden area, he tried to give me a 25cal pocket pistol "just in case". No figgin way would I carry a handgun even in that area. I'd more than likely shoot myself trying to get it out of my pocket, not to mention I doubt I could really pull the trigger if I needed to. Pepperspray or mace or whatever should be good enough for someone to use to get away from someone. If that other person has a gun then your F'd anyway. You can't tell that if your walking down the street and someone pulls a gun on you to rob you, you'd be good enough or fast enough to get the gun out from wherever your hiding it and defend yourself. I've yet to hear of anyone doing that. Maybe there has been, but the number of success's would still be too small to justify laws allowing people to carry a concealed weapon. There was an off-duty cop shot here recently when he pulled his gun at some incident. That would be what would happen more times than not.

Well, if I do thoroughly and objectively think out the situation, then I must to admit to myself that if I would live in town like Chicago I probably would get myself a gun (legally of course) for my personal (but not to carry around-it would be safely stashed at home), but mostly for the protection of my family. Not because I would like or love to, but simply because the so called dangerous living enviroment would forced me on such step. But where I live,,,no way, something like this does not even crossing my mind. And that's the difference which should be comprehended and taken into account if you catch my drift.

And I also liked (I think the Ironsight's) 'average danger comparition' between the gun and a car traffic danger. In my country the rate is one against million or ten millions in favor that I would get hurt or killed in some car accident because of some reckless or bad or drunk driver, than to get shot. But,,,that's life, and that's the price we have to pay for the way we're livin', as I guess was this shooting the 'price' for the way (and the tempo) of life they're living across the Atlantic.