Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Explosion FX

Hello MadDogX,

really a nice script, I like it a lot. I think the improvement suggestions are also a good idea. One more suggestion from myself:

If the vehicle is of class "Air" then I could imagine it would be cool if some parts fly off continously until impact. It can be seen sometimes that during downfall the hull disintegrates more and more. I am not sure what it would really look like in Arma, but it could be worth a shot.

Regards,

Victor Farbau

How Odd, all the AA men shoot their Strela's, the missile leaves the tube, drops to the ground and explodes. It worked before, and all I did was just slide the script into a new mission and paste the init field from the other mission. tounge2.gif

Probably just me!

Kev, heli's not always get 100% destroyed, me an a friend always get shot down in MP and the heli will hit the ground and we'll live.

Nice job.

Is that some custom fire script ? (link?)

- I can't tell from the YouTube video quality.

Nice job.

Is that some custom fire script ? (link?)

- I can't tell from the YouTube video quality.

Nope, no custom fire script (yet).

Yeah man awesome work, I'm beggin ya to work on some blown off limbs next!!! I've been dying to see some blown off limbs in ArmA!

Is it possible to have blown off parts that make trails of particle smoke and maybe be a bit on fire?

EDIT:

Another idea would be if it is not too much for shot down debris to dig in a bit inside the ground and leave a black mark with smoke and fire trailling until they stop. That sounds complex though.

I think, for Aircraft, IMHO, that more flames is better for the aicraft explosions, more smoke. Is there a way that you can increase the speed of the the particles in the ground explosions. And the smoke, it should spread around the ground and not in streams, as BI made them. They are way too too slow to begin with. Most medium explosion, because of the force outwards, do not go upwards unless its a huge explosion. Something I was disappointed in BI for. Can you add more smoke to the SHilka muzzle smoke? There's so many questions, so little time.

BTW, very nice video, keep up the good work!

Here's a small update on my progress for the ExploFX:

I've been working on creating profiles for different types of vehicles, so that the explosion effects are different for each vehicle. A lot less random and more specialized. It's coming along quite well.

Basically you still just add the script to the vehicle's INIT line - no further parameters or scripting required. The ExploFX script automatically checks the type of the vehicle (aircraft/car/tank) and then autoselects the appropriate explosion profile. I am even thinking of creating special profiles for specific vehicles, and possibly creating two versions of the script - one that requires a small addon and one that doesn't.

The addon version would include some sounds and some models (helicopter rotor for example) and would REALLY spice it up a lot! But obviously you would need to include the addon with your mission.

I'm at work right now, but I'll get coding as soon as I get home (~1700 GMT+1), and hopefully I'll have something to show you guys by tonight. (Yeah I'm a fast coder wink_o.gif )

By the way, I could use one or two beta testers for multiplayer testing. Any volunteers?

Cheers

MadDogX

I hope that we can see this scripts used in many upcoming mods. It make so much real feeling of dynamic world.

Would be happy to help out beta test to get this into as many multiplayer games as possible, as soon as possible.

Amazing work.

I did some more testing. Perhaps I'll make a quick video.

the AA men shoot their missile, and the thing kills the AA soldier.

Another update:

I'm afraid I was a bit busy today, so the new ExploFX version isn't finished yet - but: The VXP (Vehicle eXplosion Profile  wink_o.gif ) system is now in place. This means that every vehicle type can be made to explode differently - I can even add special profiles for specific vehicle classes. For now I will stick to the generic types - Cars, Tanks, Helicopters, Planes and Boats. Later on I can easily add profiles for certain vehicles, for example an explosion profile specifically for the KA-50 helicopter or the Camel plane.

And the best thing is: there is still no additional scripting required! You just need to put the scripts in your mission folder, put the following code into the INIT line of your vehicles:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">x = [this] execVM "MDXexploFX.sqf"

And the script automatically detects the vehicle type and will create the appropriate damage and explosion FX for that vehicle. This should even work with any vehicle addons you have, such as the MapFact Apache and Chinook, because they are usually derived from the generic vehicle classes in the game - that the ExploFX script can detect. Also, once the script is released, anyone with a bit of scripting knowledge can create a new explosion profile for any vehicle they desire and add it to the VXP system. I will add a detailed description on how to do this in the README file. Damn I'm so excited...

yay.gif

Right now I am working on the explosion profile for helicopters (blasting off the rotors etc.). Once I have finished that to my satisfaction, I will create another demo video, and release BETA version - just for helicopters for the time being - so you guys can give it a try. Then I'll get to work on the rest of the vehicles, and we'll see where we go from there.

I expect it won't take too long, perhaps I'll even manage to release the first BETA version tomorrow. (the first release was just a proof of concept  wink_o.gif )

Wohoo!

i'm no expert at scripting so i'm going to ask a possibly stupid question! can this be used in its current state or modified slightly to work on buildings and bridges, for example a bridge instead off crumbling would have big chunks flying in the air after being hit with 1 or 2 LGB's, likewise for buidings. i like blowing thinks up with harriers!

i'm no expert at scripting so i'm going to ask a possibly stupid question! can this be used in its current state or modified slightly to work on buildings and bridges, for example a bridge instead off crumbling would have big chunks flying in the air after being hit with 1 or 2 LGB's, likewise for buidings. i like blowing thinks up with harriers!

Well, I wasn't intending for it to be used on static objects such as buildings - in fact the version I'm currently working on only supports vehicles now (no more infantry or statics).

About your question: In theory, yes it could be made to work on bridges, houses etc. BUT (<- and that's a BIG BUT) in order for it to look good, it would require a LOT of addon work, mainly making the "chunk" models. Also, we can't actually "break bits off" an existing model yet, so the effect would be purely cosmetic.

even if the chunks had to be part off an addon it would still be quite nice if when a tower block got hit with a bomb sizeable chunks got ejected from the smoke, it wouldn't matter if it wasn't actual parts of the building because nobody would see them being created through the smoke. the bridges might be a bit of a stretch i suppose, i may carry on dreaming then!

MadDog, this sounds awesome!

One question: Can the Addonmakers include your script within the addon? So that i haven´t to put the script in my init line?

MadDog, this sounds awesome!

One question: Can the Addonmakers include your script within the addon? So that i haven´t to put the script in my init line?

Sure, anyone can put the script in their missions and addons and/or host it somewhere, as long as they give me credit for it wink_o.gif .

Once it's finished I'm sure the FX could be a nice addition to a full conversion mod.

I got your effects script in that film I made. "Part 2 of 2 of Base Attack 4".. Its somewhere in my sig. thanks again dude! smile_o.gif

Be warned the video is boring! Except your explosion brings the film to life for a second. biggrin_o.gif

I used a mini-script in my actionhud. (like you implenting now)

To put fire effects on specific types of vehicles i used a bunch of different scripts from DKMM-RSC OFP)

I hope your routines are even a lot better and hope to see more of it soon :-)

Haha- very nice! That looked like real footage. Now if only the helicopter went BOOM went it hits the ground whistle.gif