Sign in to follow this  
deevius

Last night I had a VERY GOOD idea

Okay so last night an idea struck me, was wondering what you guys think about it

It's regarding the 'friendly fire' issue. You know how in World War 2 the infantry squads used a codename signal such as calling out 'Thunder' - 'Flash' to recognize nearby friendlies?

Wouldn't it be cool, and really helpful, if we had something similar in ArmA? Where you see some guys close by and you are about to shoot, but you're not sure if its a friendly or an enemy - you can yell out a 'signal' which will only be heard within the area (ie. voice distance....i dont mean a radio signal) and if they are friendlies they can respond....if no response then you knows it an enemy

Of course you would have to use it wisely, because if there ARE enemies nearby they will hear your signal and it will give away your position...

It would be really cool to see a feature like this implemented into one of the patches, though I doubt that would happen...

i think it would work quite well though, what about you guys?

Why patch? Its possible to implement this in mission, dont forget about all the possible things players can make with ArmA scripting power.

Well the SLA were supposed to speak spanish so if you shout food dont expect them to reply something like tortilla goodnight.gif .

I have to say I don't really think it's that useful of an idea. If you're within audible distance, you're well within range to visually identify if it's a friend or foe.

If you really have a hard time identifying friend or foe at range, binoculars are your friend.

well the red tag bug doesn't help the situation.

That bug was in Battlefield 2 for crying out loud confused_o.gif

Why is it that always if someone posts something like "i had a great idea yesterday / last night" that something like this comes out... ? biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Well the SLA were supposed to speak spanish so if you shout food dont expect them to reply something like tortilla .

really? ha, well something went wrong there, now all i can hear is

2: target that machine gunner,

what!?!

Bam

You are dead.

kinda confuses me, i dont know weather im hearing a friendly or enemy voice

The i44-campaign in Ofp had this. And it worked.

I can see it being usefull at night... use owl and bird sounds:

Team1: "Woooh.. woooh!"

Team2: "Chip twit twit chip!"

huh.gif .

Team3: "Croak! Croak!!" crazy_o.gif .

Actually, if BIS fixed one little "feature" of the way their radio channels is set up in conjunction with custom sounds, that could be implemented easily.

As you know, it's possible in multiplayer to have various custom sounds attached to yourself (most people tend to use this feature to annoy the hell out their fellow human beings - peace to that creed however). I've put a bunch of semi-useful sounds there, taken from the sounds.pbo/missions/<name of person> file, such as "Incoming!", "Reloading." and "Fall back!". Those of you who have used these custom sounds know that whatever you named them in your UserProfile/Sound folder will be what your avatar chats as the sound is played. So, for instance, if you've named it "Incoming!" it will display that text. The sound plays according to radio channel, quite nicely. Particularily when using it group-only it can be quite useful and non-disturbing to others.

Problem is it doesn't quite work with the Direct Communication mode, which is what needs to be fixed. First, it displays the message as a GlobalChat (why, seeing as Direct Comms have a perfectly good way of chatting already in place?) without sounding the message globally though, and second I don't actually know if the sound leaves your body at all. If it does - then that could be the simplest solution. At least for clan-games and other semi-organized events where you might actually get people to use the same sounds.

Long post, pardon the rant, but I get wordy when I explain these things. Other solution is simply to use VOIP and direct communications to shout. smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

It's regarding the 'friendly fire' issue. You know how in World War 2 the infantry squads used a codename signal such as calling out 'Thunder' - 'Flash' to recognize nearby friendlies?...

That sort of thing is meant to be for sentries - I doubt it

would really work very well as a general-purpose IFF device.

How many ArmA "missions" involve you going on stag so you

could actually have reason to use this?

Quote[/b] ]

I can see it being usefull at night... use owl and bird sounds:

Convention is/was to use challenges and responses consisting

of letters from the phonetic alphabet:

"Halt! Advance one and be recognised. Halt!  

[sentry gives challenge half of password eg.]

Bravo Echo". Other man responds with the other half

of the password eg. "Zulu Charlie"

It is/was supposed to be said just loud enough for the front

man only to hear - not screamed out at all and sundry

to "see if they're 'friendlies' or not". biggrin_o.gif

If he's close by like you said, recognizing is not a problem. No specials signals needed, side chat/uniform/mic is enough.

People rarely kill you when on foot, but while flying a heli without GPS enabled can be a problem. yay.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Actually, if BIS fixed one little "feature" of the way their radio channels is set up in conjunction with custom sounds, that could be implemented easily.

As you know, it's possible in multiplayer to have various custom sounds attached to yourself (most people tend to use this feature to annoy the hell out their fellow human beings - peace to that creed however). I've put a bunch of semi-useful sounds there, taken from the sounds.pbo/missions/<name of person> file, such as "Incoming!", "Reloading." and "Fall back!". Those of you who have used these custom sounds know that whatever you named them in your UserProfile/Sound folder will be what your avatar chats as the sound is played. So, for instance, if you've named it "Incoming!" it will display that text. The sound plays according to radio channel, quite nicely. Particularily when using it group-only it can be quite useful and non-disturbing to others.

Problem is it doesn't quite work with the Direct Communication mode, which is what needs to be fixed. First, it displays the message as a GlobalChat (why, seeing as Direct Comms have a perfectly good way of chatting already in place?) without sounding the message globally though, and second I don't actually know if the sound leaves your body at all. If it does - then that could be the simplest solution. At least for clan-games and other semi-organized events where you might actually get people to use the same sounds.

Long post, pardon the rant, but I get wordy when I explain these things. Other solution is simply to use VOIP and direct communications to shout. smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Great idea ... biggrin_o.gif

I use that same idea but im using no sounds, only text appear.

im able to use 9 diff pre made texts and 0kb each smile_o.gif

I hardly ever get teamkilled. If I do it was probably because I was playing on a public server with lots of trigger happy kids.

The only other time I get fired at is from (like someone has already mentioned) aircraft flying past. Laying down in some grass on the outskirts of a base. I told them my position and to keep the fire in the base. Still, the first few rounds to come down was aimed at me.

Something like this would be a good idea, but that's if your on foot. At night when your in the air, you can hardly see who's who. So I just ask them to report their location, if they don't reply and you teamkill them. Bah, who's the one to blame? confused_o.gif

A better solution would be to just display friendly tags up to a certain range, with maybe a slight delay before showing. The only thing the challenge idea adds to that is the option for a friendly NOT to identify themselves as such, which I don't really see the point of.

Regards,

Wolfrug

well i think the custom sounds should be sent on the channel which you are using... makes sense?

how often would u send a custom sound globally (unless its one of those really annoying sounds.. which wouldnt be time critical, where as something like RELOADING probably requires an instant send or something...

@Jack-UK

Oh, sorry, I knew I wasn't being too specific : they DO work AFAIK, with radio channels (i.e. side/global/group/vehicle) BUT I am not so sure it works with Direct Communication. I hate spamming the chat with my radio sounds, so it'd be great if Direct Communication messages would be 100% localized, originating from my body, and preferably not displaying a chat message in any channel - if that were the case, the original poster's idea would pretty much be fulfilled.

Try it yourself smile_o.gif Direct Communication channel on -> use a custom sound : the filename is displayed in the Global Chat channel. Thus it's spamming. That's all I'd like to have changed.

Kind regards,

Wolfrug

Perhaps the name of the sound is only displayed to those within hearing range when using direct channel, like the direct text messages. I assume it's that way but haven't bothered to test.

@Metal Heart

No, that I actually did test : the name of the sound when using direct communication is displayed as a Global Chat. Which is kind of sucky. Hmm. Maybe this is a bug? wow_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Yes, I know it's displayed, but to whom. The fact that you see it doesn't mean that everyone else does, it could very well be displayed only to those within certain radius like the direct chat message. Messages on globalchannel aren't neccessarily broadcasted, case in point:

if(local unit)then{unit globalChat "Hello, anybody see this?"};

@Metal Heart

You might be right, I suppose. smile_o.gif My knowledge of MP-editing and how MP works in general is woefully inadequate. But I did ask people if they saw the message and they said yes, so my (somewhat limited) empiricial study seems to show it does work as I said it did.

*shrug*

Regards,

Wolfrug